Yofi, Anna and the Crew, 2010

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great pictures Di! I am glad the Yofster's ouchy is getting better, poor guy. I am sure Miss Anna has been taking great care of him.

What a smile Izzy has! I guess the tooth fairy has been busy at your house.

I like this picture of Kaya

P7032345.jpg

and this one of Izzy, such a innocent face.

P7142753.jpg

SOOOSKA wrote:
Great pictures Di. :inlove:

Your bunnies get cuter everytime I see them. Poor Yofi, that looks painfull..

How's Izzy with the bunnies? Do they ever see each other?

Susan:)

Thanks Susan! :) yes, that abscess was particularly painful. Yofi never went completely off his food, but he wasn't acting well when this last one flared up, was pretty quiet, and didn't dive into his dinners as usual. I had to give him some pain meds, especially while I was treating the area. I can just imagine what it would feel like to have to sit there and have a raw wound bathed and salved. I can always tell when the abscess is healing, even without looking at it, because Yofi begins perking up again and starts getting into trouble.

I still do tend to keep Izzy away from Yofi and Anna. While his presence doesn't seem to both Anna (she's just too laid-back to care), Yofi does not like this black-and-white newcomer. His nose is a bit out of joint over the added family member...I'm guessing he thinks he's been taken down a few notches from his pedestal (not that he has, he only thinks he has). So out of respect for Yofi's ego, Izzy isn't allowed to hang around the bunnies too much. I do make sure he sees the bunnies though, and is exposed to them somewhat on a daily basis, just to make sure his BC instincts for herding (and terrorizing prey animals) are quelled.

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
Great pictures Di!  I am glad the Yofster's ouchy is getting better, poor guy.  I am sure Miss Anna has been taking great care of him.

What a smile Izzy has!  I guess the tooth fairy has been busy at your house.

I like this picture of Kaya

P7032345.jpg

and this one of Izzy, such a innocent face.

P7142753.jpg

Oh, didn't that ouchie look horrible? I felt awful when I first discovered it, because it had probably been developing for over a week...I hadn't been handling the bunnies while Izzy still had a parasite, and of course...this flared up in the meantime. I'm just thankful it responded to treatment.

LOL...Izzy's teeth at that point in time made him look like a little backwoods dog hick (hope that's not politically incorrect). It reminds me of a photo someone once sent me, a picture of three dogs (coonhounds, maybe?) with fake *ugly teeth* in their mouths. Izzy's teeth were all over the place, dangling in just about every direction possible. A day or so after I took the photo they all fell out (no doubt embedded in one of his soccer balls) and he was toofless for a while. Now he still looks comical because his adult front teeth have grown in to replace them, but he still has little puppy teeth surrounding them...so his front adult teeth, which should look small next to the other toofs, look ginormous.

I like that pic of Kaya too. :) It's one of her more rare moments of playfulness...they're getting more and more infrequent, given her age and tendency to sleep a lot. But at 14-3/4, she proves she's still got it. :biggrin2:

Wow... Poor Yofi! :shock:That does look nasty! I got quite queasy myself. That must not be pleasant for you either. I wonder what it is with Elops and chin/neck abscesses? :expressionlessI am glad it is looking so much better. Awww such nice pictures. Your pup is adorable too!

Thanks Nela :)

And of course, after posting about Yofi's neck, it again flared up. It seems to spread around his neck, not just stay in one area. I don't know if this is a problem that is particularly bad in e-lops; perhaps it has to do partly with the excess skin that they carry around. I suspect though - at least with Yofi - it's tied in with pasteurella, as this is ongoing, and he tends to get little red raised bumps around his chin/lips as well.

The Boy seemed rather angry last night, for whatever reason. Izzy began freaking out because a cacophony of noise was coming from the rabbit room; he began barking, hackles raised, running in circles around the door. So I went in to investigate and found that Yofi was in a foul mood indeed...he had ripped out the entire bottom of the *rabbit howse* (big cardboard box that he and Anna have had for many months) and there were shredded cardboard bits everywhere. When I approached him he simply turned his back on me and began angrily attacking the box again. Anna just sat there and looked at me with a rather resigned look on her face that I'm certain said, "Sigh....you do something with him...I've given up!" Part of the problem might have been the heat wave we've been having; just about everyone here has been in a bad mood. No A/C, and the temps yesterday hit +47C with humidity (that equates to almost 117deg Farenheit! :shock:

This morning though, Yofi's in a much better mood, and the humidity is gone. It's still going to be a hot one today, but not like the past couple of days. So hopefully I won't have to deal with a hot cross bun. ;)

When I got the email notification this morning that you'd posted...my first thought was "oh no...I hope Yofi is ok".

I don't know why I thought that - I guess I'm just so paranoid after losing Jar Jar.

Poor boy being in such a lousy mood and poor Anna for having to put up with him.

When he feels up to it again- give Yofi a nose kiss and hugs from me - and all the other animals too!

BTW - "hot cross bun" - ROFLOL!!!!

Yeah Peg, I must admit that's always at the back of my mind...that Yofi's chest will suddenly get much worse and I won't be able to do anything about it. The vet had originally treated it with antibiotics, but they didn't seem to do any better than cleaning the area and putting antiseptic on it. Since it comes back so often, I do worry about it. And while Yofi isn't old, he's still starting to get up there for an e-lop.

I'll give the critters a kiss for ya, even Izzy...even though he and I had a kafuffle tonight and I'm still kind of shaken by it. He's shown signs of food guarding ever since I got him, but tonight when I put his food down and then stroked him, he growled...so I went to take the food away and he lunged at me, twice. The first time he made contact and punctured my arm, drawing blood; the second time I managed to avoid him (thankfully, as he would have bitten my face). This happened in a matter of seconds, and shocked me; in fact, I reacted so quickly that I wasn't thinking - just an instinctive response, I guess - and I hit him. So now the trust on both sides has been broken. I was working with him regarding his food guarding, but was only doing so sporadically, which obviously wasn't nearly enough. Now I've got to start all over again, only this time building back his trust in me enough so I can trust him too. ugh...just been a sucky day; hot and humid; I came down with some sort of stomach virus; and now this with Izzy. I'd say I need a vacation, but I'm already on one! :(

Wow! That is frightening what happened with Izzy. I hope the re-training goes well this time, good luck. With work and stuff, it is hard to be consistent with training, I know.

I hope your feeling better too! Have Yofi fan you with his ears.

Holy bejeebus, look at that abscess! I must not be very observant because at first I didn't see it- I was just admiring Yofi's adorable face. Poor guy!! How is he doing now? I think I need to go lay down after seeing that. And pray that none of my bunnies never ever ever never get an abscess.

Hi all! :)

Well, I'm feeling better; the weather has decided to be more bearable, my son - while still stressed over trying to find a place to live - seems to be doing better...though that can change from day to day, as I guess it would when still in the midst of transition. Yofi definitely looks better (that abscess really was a bugger of a thing, huh! If they had a tv show about extreme owwies, Yofi could certainly have entered. And probably won). He still has red patches on his neck, but so far (crossing everything that is capable of being crossed) they haven't become worse. He's eating well and is active, which tells me he's feeling okay. Anna's doing okay too,though I'm not sure if it's my imagination or what, but she looks kinda old to me. Like she's aged a fair bit. She still has a good appetite too and is still active...just has a bit of a senior look to her. Or maybe it's bad lighting. ;)

I've been working with Izzy daily and heshows promise, but I know this isn't a quick fix. I now have to take an extra 15-20 minutes morning and night and hand-feed him, getting him to relax and calm down around food. Will do this for the next several weeks and then might start to transition his food to a dish once again; guess I'll play it by ear. A good sign is that he will wag his tail while I'm talking to him and he's eating out of my hand, and - though I'm cautious about this - I can pick up any kibble that drops on the floor around him, for the most part. I still won't touch anything that falls beneath his legs (he has to lie down on the floor before I will feed him) but am working up to that. And another good sign is that he doesn't appear to be transitioning any aggression to other dogs (crossing fingers and toes on that one too). A couple of nights ago my sister and I took all of our 3 dogs to a dog park that Izzy's never been to before, and he had a riot, running to other dogs and playing with them. In fact at one point an older border collie pup approached him began to play, but that dog quickly became quite aggressive and was starting to fight...yet Izzy backed off and came running to me. That was a very good sign, actually, and I'm hoping he remains that way. He's going to be neutered next month (don't tell him that!) so it might help to tone down his more dominant side. And I have to work on exposing him to children more often to make sure he doesn't become fearful of them. Ugh...it's a lot of work, but definitely worth it. In the meantime, I caught the little rotter in the bunny room this morning, helping himself to his own idea of breakfast kibble :)shame). Yofi didn't seem to care, and Anna could care less about any visitors anyway, and for me...well, while I reminded Izzy that he's not supposed to be the one cleaning the rabbits' room, I'm glad he was more focused on the rolling trail of ballz that the bunnies leave, rather than the bunnies themselves.
Have Yofi fan you with his ears.
LOL! I never thought of that! Next time we have a heat wave here, I'm definitely trying it. I wonder if a little propeller could be installed behind them to keep them rotating for me? :p

A few more pics

P8072846.jpg

P8092916.jpg

P8092939.jpg

P8092920.jpg

P8072843.jpg

Alien rabbit

P8092950.jpg

And whizzy Izzy

P8093071.jpg

P8133077.jpg

So, both Yofi and Izzy went to the vet's on Thursday. For Izzy, it was a weigh-in so they could determine what dosage of Sentinel he now needs, as well as to book a time for neutering (the big day is Monday, August 29th). For Yofi, it was to have his chest checked again. The Boy has been plagued with an infection...it began as an abscess, but now seems to have turned into some sort of chronic skin infection, and every time it returns, it shows up a bit further down his chest. Right now it's progressed to both of his front legs. I use Bag Balm on it when it flares up, which helps tremendously; but then it comes back again full force. So Yofi is now on a 3-week regimen of Baytril, and we are awaiting the results of a culture to try and see if the doctor can pinpoint exactly what type of infection this is, and adjust meeds if needed. He's also not allowed to go outdoors any more until this clears up entirely. Oh, and Yof was NOT in a good mood to head out to the vet clinic. As soon as I put him in the carrier he WHUMPED the biggest Yofi-whump that he could, and then sulked and wouldn't come out of the carrier once we were there. I suspect part of it was the fact that he was forced to make the trip with Izzy, who is not on his list of all-time favourites. However, everyone returned unscathed, and more or less okay.

[Me though...while I was at the vet's my stomach began to hurt, and I found myself wondering if I was coming down with something. Turns out, I was. The next morning I went to work and just as I was trying to get through four manuscripts that had a deadline on them (the copyeditor wanted them done before 11a.m. that day) a huge headache struck, along with stomach pain and then nausea. After taking some Gravol (and sitting in the washroom for a while to see if the nausea would subside) I wimped my way back to my cubicle and finished the work. As soon as it was done I told my supervisor I was headed home, where I've been feeling crappy ever since. ugh(!) The good thing is it's Saturday, so I can sit back and recoup.]

LOL...right now Izzy's going nut behind me, tossing his ball in the air and catching it (or trying to) and just having a grand ol' time. I'm so glad I got a dog who can be self-entertained when I'm not feeling up to entertaining him! ;)

I've been trying to decide all day what to write in here....I'm sorry you're sick - but its Yofi that I'm stressing about. That's horrible - isn't it?

Please keep us updated - I think about him every day when I feed Ellie Mae and Brady and I wonder how he's doing. I miss Jar Jar so much....this loss is almost as bad as Tiny - I can't bear the thought of anything happening to Yofi for many many years....after all - he's one of the reasons I got my e-lops!

Bassetluv wrote:
A few more pics

P8092939.jpg

P8072843.jpg

Miss Anna looks like she is blowing me some kisses, so I am sending some back to her! :big kiss: In the 2nd picture, she looks a little worried :feelbetter: about her best friend in the whole wide world. I bet that's why she's looking older to you, Di.

Stress can do that to you - make you look and feel old.

(The Voice of Experience here...I, who completely finished *THE CHANGE* by age 43 1/2, thanks to the challenges of living with our wonderful/horrible bi-polar son. For a couple of years there I seriously thought I was going to stroke out! I was "too young" at age 38 to be having the "symptoms", so the doc didn't believe me. But, I digress.)

I hope you are feeling better too, having gotten (I trust) much rest over the weekend.

I'm praying that Yofi's blood test comes back with something actionable, the poor bun. All that medicine, and draining, and checking, poking, prodding...I'm surprised he lets a "hoomin" get within 100 feet of him these days.

Thanks guys! I'm feeling better now (not 100%, but no more nausea and headache not so bad, which is great). Yofi still looks about the same...I've been concerned about him for a while now, as this has been going on for some time. Thankfully the Bag Balm helps to keep the infection from getting out of control, and he's still got a healthy appetite. Mind you, when it flared up to its worst (the pics of him in the garden with a HUGE patch off his chest) he wasn't feeling the best...I had to put him on some baby aspirin for a day or so, and that seemed to help perk him up. The vet agreed that it's no longer an abscess, but is a skin infection of some sort. He thinks it's deep in the skin, but not invasive beyond that (sort of a good news / bad news thing ... while he thinks it isn't invading internally like a deep abscess would, he's scratching his head at what is causing this; he suspects though, it's just some sort of stubborn infection that took hold, and the antibiotics given last time didn't have enough time to successfully kill it, hence a 3-week dose this time). Hopefully the culture will provide more clues on how to go about treating it. I'm just thankful that Yofi is still maintaining a pretty healthy attitude...good appetite, alert, not showing signs of pain now.

LOL. Anna does look worried, doesn't she? I wonder if she can sense when somethings wrong with Yofi. When he first had the abscess she was constantly grooming him and licking the area clean. Kind of neat that animals will do that for each other.

Ah, 'the change'. Yep, I went through that rather early too. Well, sort of early. I was just starting my 40s and the dr didn't believe me when I suggested that's what it was. I had none of the wonderful symptoms that went along with it; everything just sorta...stopped. And that was it. (Not that I minded.)

And not to add to stress or anything :)expressionless), but I just spent the last half-hour on the phone with the emergency vet. Turns out when I took Izzy and Yofi to the vet's last week, they gave me the incorrect dosage of Sentinel to give to Izzy. Since he was still growing they'd been giving me his pills one at a time, after he'd get weighed so they'd know the proper size to give him. This time they gave it to me in an envelope with a sticky label attached saying 12-22kg. I'm not sure what Izzy weighed in at this time (probably around 25-30 lbs compared to Kaya's 45 lbs), but that seemed reasonable for him. So this evening I gave the two dogs their Sentinel pills. Gave Izzy his first, then gave Kaya her pill. And while I was giving Kaya hers I thought it odd that Izzy's pill seemed so much bigger...so I went back to the wrapper it had been in, and written on the bottom was "23/460mg". I compared that to Kaya's pill, which read "11.5/230mg", and suddenly realized that the clinic had given me a dosage for large dogs for Izzy! So I scrambled to call the emergency vet's number to find out just how serious this could be. Finally, after the receptionist going back and forth between a vet and the phone, I was told that while it could produce some reaction (diarrhea, vomiting) he should be fine, and just to keep an eye on him. Thank goodness...my heart was pounding in fear that I'd just seriously hurt my puppy.

Oh Peg, (((Jar Jar))) I miss him too. He looked like such a wonderfully sweet guy... he reminded me very much of Yofi. :cry2

Hi Di,

Glad to hear you are feeling better. To me getting sick in the summer is always worse then in the winter.

Poor Yofi, do you think him being outside in the dirt could have made it worse? He's very lucky he has sucha wonderful Bunny Girlfriend Anna to take good care of him. It also helps that he's got the best Human Slave.

Those pictures of Anna are Beautiful. She's a lovely Bunny:inlove:.

Susan:)

Poor Yofi, do you think him being outside in the dirt could have made it worse?
Well, the dirt didn't complicate matters (he had a rather vigorous soapy bathing of the area when he came indoors); however, Yofi is banned from the outdoors right now as the vet was more concerned about the possibility of flystrike...something quite honestly I hadn't even thought about. However, letting him outside with a raw wound is taking chances in itself, flystrike or not, as it could potentially make things worse.

The good news, though (btw, this is a quick Yofi update ;)) is that Yofi is looking much better. No pics right now unfortunately, my camera battery died and I keep forgetting to recharge it. His chest area has cleared up considerably and for the past few days The Boy has perked up quite a bit. Whereas in the past he would be content to sit in his room with Anna - especially with Izzy-pest running about the house -now he comes out exploring again, and will boiiiing up onto the sofa for a free bunny massage. It's really good to see him more lively and alert...when this was at it's peak Yofi would still be eating and would eat a full meal, but his curiosity had waned considerably, and it would probably take him 3-4 times as long to down all of his dinner. Now he's well on his way back to "FEED ME, HUMAN!!!" whenever I walk into the bunny room. I just pray that once the meds are finished, this infection takes a hike for good.

In the meantime, other animal updates:

Anna is still the same; still amicable, keeps to herself for the most part, but comes flying to greet me when I walk in the room. She's overdue right now for a bunny-butt bath (that girl can get so skunky!), but other than the posterior cleaning issue, she's fine.

Kaya wasn't herself yesterday at all. She slept the entire day, and when I fed her in the morning, at first she turned her nose up at the food. hhhhmmm. When Kaya walks away from her dish, I know something's not right...it's akin to Yofi's Fud Intake Valve not functioning. Her eyes were running as well, she was coughing a bit, and sneezing in the afternoon. I suspect she's got some sort of doggy cold, and decided that given her age, I'd better keep an eye on her. This morning though she looked decidedly more alert, even ran around when I took the dogs on their morning field trip. Oh, did I mention here that a week or so ago a dog attacked Kaya? We had just entered the park when someone's dog came flying up from the river (leash attached, but no owner on the other end) and went straight for Kaya. He circled her once and then lunged, grabbing her on the back and biting her. The owner, who had been down at the riverbank sitting and drinking with his buddies, came running up and grabbed his dog's leash...in the meantime I was caught in the middle of it all, leashes wrapped around my legs and two dogs snarling and snapping. I managed to get my legs out of Ground Zero, and then noticed that the other dog no longer had a grip on Kaya; instead, the owner was trying to pull his dog away, and Kaya was standing there, feet planted squarely on the ground, with a big hunk of Other Dog skin in her mouth. She was hanging onto him like a pit bull, and only let go when I let out a loud "HEY!!!" No dogs were injured in the melee, thankfully. And while this was going on Izzy (who was also on a leash next to Kaya) didn't know what to do...he just kept spinning in circles as the dogs fought (no doubt going "OH NO! OH NO! HALPPP!" in his little head).

Speaking of Iz, yesterday he was full of beans. It had poured all day so the dogs didnt' get their usual outing, morning or evening. Instead Izzy played with his stuffed mouse and his ball in the house. But he was definitely going a bit stir-crazy; at one point I was cleaning up and rearranging my bedroom, and found a big shopping bag full of dog toys in it. I had placed it on the floor while I was moving stuff, and Izzy spotted it immediately. "Don't touch", I told him, "Go play with your mouse instead". Well, about an hour later, as I was gathering up clothes to be washed, I noticed a trail of dog toys strewn about the house. Apparently as I was working, Izzy was silently creeping back and forth between the bag and the living room, pilfering one stuffed animal/ball/squeaky toy at a time. And then, about half an hour after that, I sat down on the sofa, exhausted. Suddenly I heard the shopping bag rustling again, so I called out, "Izzy...don't you DARE touch that!" Then there was a moment of silence, followed by more rustling, silence, more rustling...and suddenly Izzy came FLYING out of the bedroom, putting his brakes on right at the doorway to the living room. I looked over at him and just burst out laughing...The Kid had somehow managed to get the bag entangled around his front legs and chest; he was hopelessly snarled up in it, and panicking at being trapped, but didn't want to come over to me because he knew I'd told him not to touch the bag. So I managed to stop laughing long enough to call him over, whereby he slunk into the room, toy-filled bag dragging under his pitiful belly.

Oh yeah, and then last night I decided to take a nice hot bath as my muscles were really aching...wasn't in the tub for more than 5 minutes when Izzy comes in, toting his Wiggly-Giggly ball, wanting me to play. He kept propping it up on the side of tub, I kept pushing it away, telling him to get out...this went on for several minutes until he finally picked up the ball and headed for the door. At last, I thought...peace and quie...

SPLASH!!!

Yep...a Wiggly-Giggly ball came flying through the air and landed right in the middle of the tub, scaring the daylights out of me, and delighting Mr. Izzy-Whizz to no end.

:pssd:

Latest posts

Back