Yofi, Anna and the Crew, 2010

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Di for the lovely message about Buttercup and Jackie. I miss them both very much. Even though Jackie didn't live with me for the past 10 months it was very difficult to hear.

OMG poor Anna that's quitethe shed. She's so cute. I could kiss her face all night. How old is she? What's her story? I'm sure i read it but then again good memory but short. :biggrin:

Hopefully that Yofi will get better real soon. Does he try to lick himself? Have you ever though to put a type of collar on him. Gosh someone on RO a while back made for their bunny, kinda like a stuffed sock but much smaller in circumference . Making it out of flannel or a jersey material would be nice and soft for him. Just a thought.

Susan:)

I'm trying to remember now exactly how old Anna is supposed to be. I've had her for over 5 years now, and when I adopted her the HS said she was around 4 or 5...however, I doubt she was that old; she was probably more like a year old. So I'd put her age at around 6 or 7. She really does have a sweet face, doesn't she?
Her story: I wasn't really looking for another rabbit, but I used to check the HS website every so often - maybe once every two or three months - and *just look*. One day when I was doing this I noticed a little brown bunny in one of the photos. There was nothing distinct about her, she actually was the most plain-looking of all the rabbits that were up for adoption. And yet for the next couple of weeks I couldn't seem to get her out of my mind, and found myself going back to the website every day. Finally, one day my brother dropped by to return a carrier he'd borrowed to take his cat to the vet, and out of the blue I told him about this rabbit, and showed him her picture. He said, "Did you want to go to the Humane Society and look at her?" I wasn't expecting that, hadn't even thought about asking him, but said yes right away, since not having a car limits me, and so off we went. As soon as I got there and saw her I knew that she'd be coming home with me. So after paying for her, and then waiting a couple of days to pick her up (I'd asked that she be spayed first), she came home.

Hopefully that Yofi will get better real soon. Does he try to lick himself? Have you ever though to put a type of collar on him. Gosh someone on RO a while back made for their bunny, kinda like a stuffed sock but much smaller in circumference . Making it out of flannel or a jersey material would be nice and soft for him. Just a thought.

I asked the vet about that because I had seen Anna licking Yofi's neck in the past, and thought it might be serving more harm than good. I also wasn't sure if Yofi himself was licking at the spot himself (tuns out, he does), so thought an e-collar might be needed. Unfortunately the vet didn't recommend it because of the location of the infection; a collar of any kind would rub against it and irritate the skin, because it tends to run so far up his neck. No easy solutions for The Boy, I'm afraid.

Last night there was a bit of an unexpected melee here involving my dogs. I had been watching a movie I'd bought secondhand ("All The Little Animals"..Christian Bale is so young in it!) and was having some popcorn. Every once in a while I'd absentmindedly toss a couple of kernels to Izzy and Kaya, who enjoyed the unexpected treat. However, after one such toss suddenly the air was filled with the sounds of a dog fight...the two were biting and slashing at each other, horrifying sound effects to go along with it. I had to jump up and give Kaya a boot in the side as she was on top of Izzy, who was screaming and snarling underneath her. She immediately stopped and Izzy came flying over to me, then tried to hide behind me. Of course it all looked and sounded extremely dramatic, but no one was hurt...just a lot of saliva-coated fur on both. For the rest of the evening Izzy stuck to me like glue, and when we went to bed he ran straight into his crate and curled up, even though normally, he absolutely hates going in there on his own. They were actually best of friends again moments after the fight ended, but Izzy was certainly wary for the rest of the night.

I highly suspect that what triggered the fight was Izzy. He has some food aggression issues, and most likely - if both of them went for the same piece of popcorn at once - Izzy probably bit Kaya. (I'd been watching the movie when the fight broke out, so didn't witness the start of it.) Kaya doesn't put up with $%#$%#$% from anyone, even at 15, and so this would definitely have provoked her. Actually I'm glad she did, because Izzy needs to have another dog put him in his place once in a while. He tends to get too bold for his britches, and needs to learn that from a canine buddy. Thank goodness Anna and Yofi don't go through such antics! (LOL...if they did, Anna would put Yofi in his place immediately!)

omg!!! I literally laughed out loud at those pictures of your poor Anna, she looks like she had a rough nite out all night lol. The looks on her face make me laugh every time I look at them. Most be a bad molt year because my Willow and Walter are having a bad time of it too :X. Boy that darn infection of Yofi is stubborn as he is, poor little guy

P8293268.jpg

I was looking at this picture again and it reminded me of Get Smart and the "cones of silence"

Poor Izzy! He must be so glad that is all over with!

LOL on Miss Anna and her Strange Fur Molt. Is it just me, or does she look a little self-conscious in those pictures?

Honestly reminds me of the time Dave made me mad while I was cutting his hair. :biggrin2: DO NOT anger your barber who still has the scissors in his (her) hands...YOU WILL turn out lopsided! :p

Just a very brief update...Yofi has been on meds (PenG) for about a month now, and was showing signs of improving. The vet clinic even called a few days ago and asked how he was doing and I said (with fingers crossed) that his chest was starting to look very good. Wouldn't you know it...two days after that phone call the infection came raging back. The skin down his chest - above his right leg - was literally peeling off and exposing his underneathness. So...another phone call to the clinic, and another appointment booked for tomorrow. :(

The good side of it, if there ever is a good side to a bunny illness, is that The Boy still has his appetite and is still alert and fiesty. A couple of weeks ago Izzy happened to set his front toes inside the rabbit room (he's intensely curious about them, but even moreso, he always hopes to snag a bunny ball or two when no one's looking), and Yofi hopped over to see him. Izzy began licking Yofi's head, and at first Yof seemed to enjoy it. But within moments it was like a lightbulb went off inside the Yofster's head ("hey, wait a minute...this is the one I don't like") and suddenly he reared up, grunted loudly, and boxed Izzy in the face. POW POW POW POW!!! Poor Izzy wasn't sure what to do, but at least he had the good sense to back away before Yof decided to switch into high gear. I've decided that Yofi has now earned a middle name...Yofi T. Bunnay (the T standing for Tenacious).
LOL on Miss Anna and her Strange Fur Molt. Is it just me, or does she look a little self-conscious in those pictures?

Honestly reminds me of the time Dave made me mad while I was cutting his hair. :biggrin2: DO NOT anger your barber who still has the scissors in his (her) hands...YOU WILL turn out lopsided! :p

Anna is looking much better now; her new coat is winning the war over the old one and she no longer sports a funky 'do. I do believe she does become a bit self-conscious when she looks like that, and I can empathize, having walked out of First Choice Haircutters many times in the past and wishing that I would have taken a hat with me before going there.

LOL...I'd love to see a pic of Dave with his Angry Haircut!! :roflmao:

Bassetluv wrote:
LOL...I'd love to see a pic of Dave with his Angry Haircut!! :roflmao:

I SO wish that I'd been allowed to take a picture! But alas, it was many years ago...before we all had cameras in our phones. Or even phones that weren't connected to walls.
Fortunately for Dave, his hair grows very rapidly. :biggrin2: And when it grew out, he went to the REAL barber to "fix" it for him. FINE BY ME, I DIDN'T WANT TO CUT YOUR @#%** HAIR TO START WITH! (Perhaps that's what made me angry? I can't remember anymore...)

Yeah, that would have made a great picture! ;)

Well, I just got back from the vet's. Not great news for Yofi. The infection looks to be invading muscle/tendon areas now, and is very very nasty-looking. Dr. Johnson, who's been treating rabbits as a specialty for over 12 years, said that he's seen lots of stubborn infections on his patients in the past but in those 12 years has not seen anything quite like this.

The next course of action is going to be a biopsy. So Yofi's headed for surgery on Monday to get a biopsy and another culture done. I have no idea how much this is going to cost, and not even sure if it will help to pin down the culprit. Quite honestly, when I was searching for clues online the only thing I found that seemed close to this - in description and pictures - was an infection called necrobacillosis, which has a dismal survival rate. :( However, some infections can just be stubborn, and if Yofi's been digging at this one, he could be aggravating it so it continually flares up. Problem is, it's been getting worse...right now it's at a point where it's become very dangerous. And having the biopsy/culture done is a bit worrisome too because he has to come off of the Derapen so the culture won't be compromised. I guess right now, it could go either way.

Dr. Johnson tried to fit Yofi with a soft "rabbit collar" - a soft rolled-up affair to keep him from chewing the site, but that didn't work (Yof apparently was still able to reach it) so he resorted instead to an e-collar, which he didn't want to put on Yofi a while back because the infection had been running high up on his neck. But now that it's down in the leg area again, and is invading tissue, the collar is a must.

So, here's a couple of pics of my boy. He's not thrilled with the collar, but still is managing to eat his hay. Oh, and a couple of pics of the infected area, or part of it (kinda graphic).

The infection

PA013875.jpg

PA013877.jpg

And The Boy with his collar

PA013870.jpg

PA013874.jpg

P.S. As serious as all of this is, the vet tech did get a smile out of me when she came out to the waiting room to say they had just put the e-collar on Yofi. She said, "His ears are so huge that they are getting forced out in front of him...he looks quite the sight!" And she was right. ;)

:( Our poor Yofi! That infection looks really nasty.

He looks cute with his ears pushed forward - but that collar has to be frustrating!

Thanks guys...yeah, the infection is quite serious. And of course, being The Yofster, I got up this morning to find that he'd somehow managed to remove the e-collar completely. I've put it back on him again and reinforced it with tape. I did take his collar off him for a few moments yesterday (vet had suggested I remove it while he was being supervised, just to give him some relief from it) and as soon as it was off he went right at the raw open areas of his leg. So back on the collar went; that is, until Mr. Houdini removed it later on in the night. I woke up at 5 this morning (major migraine that wouldn't go away even after meds) and walked in to see the e-collar splatted on the floor in a corner, and Yofi with a big smile on his face. :X

The vet called this morning to let me know how much the biopsy/culture is going to be. All I can do is say this: :shock: Then there will be the cost of follow-up treatment. Right on the heels of this, late yesterday I discovered a large lump on Kaya's leg which now has me worried about her. I'd just had her to the vet's two or three weeks ago for checkup, vaccines and Sentinel renewal too. When Yofi's vet called this morning I mentioned it to him and he said he'd ask the doctor who saw Kaya if she'd happened to notice it during the exam, and if she did, if she felt it was of any concern. (She hadn't mentioned it to me at the time.) So now once Yofi's taken care of I have to take Kaya back. Talk about a drain on finances...I don't even want to try to total what I've paid so far in the past six months on the animals...I'd probably pass out.

And my sister is going in for a biopsy of her own tomorrow (same day as Yofi, ironically). She just told me about this late last week - that she'd discovered a lump and was going for a procedure - so it came as a bit of a shock. She says she's not worried, though I know she is. Ugh. One step at a time I guess, whenever worries start gathering.

Oh Di,

Poor Yofi and poor you.

Geez can you not get a break. This is too much for you and the Yofster. How's Anna doing? The poor sweetie, I feel for her too, especially if she's still separated from Yofi.

My thoughts and prayers :pray:are with you both.

Sending TONS of HEALING vibes for Yofi.:nurse:

Prayers :pray:going for your sister too. Lets hope it turns out to be nohing.

Hugs:hug1:hug:

Susan

Thanks so much Susan. :hug: I do find it's been a lot to deal with lately. I'm worried about my sister, but she is also a very strong individual and - worst case scenario - if the doctor were to find a tumour, they've come a very long way over the past few years with treatments. I'm praying she simply has a cyst, which is quite possible, but even if it were bad news I'd be very hopeful anyway. Four women we work with were diagnosed with breast cancer several years ago and all were successfully treated...even one who had quite an advanced case. Still, I'm holding hope for either a cyst or simply a lump that will go away; apparently for women entering menopause, this is quite a common occurrence.

With Yofi it stresses me because it has been so back and forth. He heals almost completely, only to have it show up again with a vengeance. For him I'm thankful that he still has his appetite and his attitude in all of this. I can't begin to describe how out of joint his nose has been over the cone! He grunts and snorts and gets upset, then tries to grab things and throw them. Thankfully most of things are out of his reach; the cone just clunks into them first. Must say I'm going to be worried tomorrow though, because he has to be put under for the biopsy, and that's not without its risks.

LOL...and in the midst of all of this, I've been dealing with health issues as well. Over the past while my arm and shoulder had been showing signs of tenderness, and then this last spring I fell while running to catch a bus. I wrenched my knee and sprained my ankle, but everything else seemed okay. However, between then and now the pain in my arm and shoulder has increased exponentially, to the point where I now can't do some things (reach behind my back, lift anything heavy, or reach above elbow height). I expect that the fall must have accelerated the condition (whatever it is...arthritis, tendonitis). For the most part I get by, but the pain is sudden and severe if I move ever so slightly a certain way. Makes it a bit more difficult because it's my left arm and I'm left-handed. I'm supposed to check out physiotherapy, but have yet to find out if I'm covered for any of it. If not, therapy will have to wait for a bit. (On the plus side, today I discovered a pain reliever that actually does work for this...Aleve. Not supposed to use it very often, but it's good to know that there's something I can reach for (figuratively speaking) if the pain gets bad.)

Aside from all of this, everything else is going good! :biggrin2:

Oh, and Anna is looking good...much better than the last photo I posted of her. Her new hair came in and the shedding is down to a minimum at this point. She's like a whole new girl! She's a bit upset that she and Yofi are separated, but she has adjusted to it. I love that Anna is so easy-going. She might play the part of a prima donna, but under that facade is a very laid-back girl. :)

I logged in last night to read your thread - and I burst into tears. I'm sorry - but I've lost 3 flemish bucks in the last week and the idea of losing Yofi - even though he's not "mine" - just scares the heebie jeebies out of me. I mean - it would almost be as bad as losing Tiny because I tell Yofi stories as much as I told Tiny stories and you've made him so real for us.

Please - give him a big kiss on the nose for me and tell him that I love him.

I'm praying for him and that they can determine what this is.

I'll be praying for your sister too.

Thanks so much Peg; I know you can certainly relate to all of this. And as awful as this might sound, I'm much more worried about Yofi right now than my sister. I have this gut feeling that she will be absolutely fine no matter what they find, but with Yofi, my gut feeling isn't so good.

Just dropped him off at the clinic an hour and a half ago, and they whisked him away while I was signing a consent form. :(He was so angry when I put him in the carrier - he hates that thing - was trying to tear apart the blanket and was hitting the sides with his feet. He calmed down once I got him turned around in it (with the cone on his head he couldn't turn by himself) and just sat there quietly in the car and at the vet's. I just got one glance at him as they were walking away, and that's when it hit me that I might lose him.

The vet seems to think that maybe the infection doesn't clear up completely because Yofi digs at the area at night (hence the cone). I know that is part of it, but am not sure it's the entire reason, as his skin has cleared up in the area several times only to have it come back. So...is he digging at it even once it's better? I don't know.

I'll know this afternoon how the surgery went...right now I'm at work (not supposed to be on here) and can't concentrate on anything. I will try and update here when I get news on how everything went. I so appreciate all of the prayers and good wishes for Yofi; thanksto everyone for caring about my boy.

*Peg, I'm so sorry for your losses...oh gosh...:rip:

I have to tell you, I have never liked english lops. I thought they looked ridiculous and silly, but after reading your blog, and a couple others on here who have elops, they've all stolen my heart. Those big floppy ears which used to look so ridiculous to me are now endearing and adorable. Yofi seems to have such a quirky personality.

I have my fingers crossed for Yofi and your family, please update us as soon as you know. :hearts

MarisaAndToby wrote:
I have to tell you, I have never liked english lops. I thought they looked ridiculous and silly, but after reading your blog, and a couple others on here who have elops, they've all stolen my heart. Those big floppy ears which used to look so ridiculous to me are now endearing and adorable. Yofi seems to have such a quirky personality.

I have my fingers crossed for Yofi and your family, please update us as soon as you know. :hearts

Aw, thank you! For myself, English lops had always been a favorite, but I really didn't know all that much about them beyond their looks when I first saw a picture of one many many (many!) years ago. However, now that I've owned two - Yofi is my second - I will say that this breed of rabbit is so unique, I don't know how anyone could ever resist them (am I biased? Oh yeah ;)). They are personality PLUS++++.

One big sigh of relief so far...the clinic just called to say that Yofi made it through surgery and is now resting quietly. :biggrin2:I'll be going out there to pick him up after work, so he should be home again by around 6:30 or 7:00 tonight. Oh, and I don't have the heart to tell The Boy that - as per doctor's orders - he has to wear the cone of silence ad infinitum. Well, not actually that long, but (crossing everything available to be crossed) so long as they can figure out how to get this blasted infection under control, the cone has to stay on until it's completely healed AND his fur has grown back fully. He will certainly be one fun bunny to live with until then! Hates the cone, and every morning and evening he manages to get it absolutely covered with lovely bunnysoft night feces. And what doesn't get on the collar gets smeared and ground into the floor (you should see the rabbit room right now...I have some major scrubbing to do when I get home). Gives a whole new perspective to 'ring around the collar'. :yuck

Well, one step at a time with all of this...

Hi Di,

I'm on my own mini lap top at work:biggrin2:. My job is so boring sometimes and I'm usually the only person in the office, so i need to do something to keep me awake.:yawn::sleep:.

Is their not something that can be made with material so Yofi can't get to his bobo? Or even a one piece doggy outfit that he can wear and notget at it. Where I work we sell doggy clothes. I'm wondering if he would keep it on even if it's onlywhen your home so you can watch him and Anna can be with him.

Let me know what you think.

Susan:)

Latest posts

Back