Yofi, Anna and the Crew, 2010

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i can't beleive you have been able to keep yofi'd 'howse" so long, my bunny's chew theirs up so quickly i have to replace them every couple of weeks.

Yeah, I'm kind of surprised it's lasted this long too. Mind you, there is now an exit door where there used to be wall, and every day it seems to get just a wee bit bigger, so its days are probably numbered. But it started out as a pretty thick cardboard (much moreso than a cardboard rabbit house I'd bought for them once some time ago) so maybe that's why. ;)

And thanks for the Izzy compliment! He certainly is cute, but oh, is so super-sensitive! You cannot raise your voice to him in the least, otherwise he hangs his head and hides...and I'm not referring to shouting, just a stern *No* causes him to melt. I've never had a puppy this young before, so I don't know if this is a puppy stage or if he will always be this way. But he's teaching me a lot about quiet patience. :)

:inlove: Izzy is so cute!!

Don't worry...if you keep gently exposing him to new experiences, he will gradually gain confidence. (Unless Somebunny permanently traumatizes him with a Yofi-head butt, LOL.)

Our scaredy-dog Charlie piddled every time he got startled, until he was about 3 years old...but I think MOST other dogs would be over that stage much sooner. (Poor Charlie had separation anxiety issues because he was shuffled to 3 different houses, then the pound, before he was 5 months old. It took him an unusually long amount of time to become a "mature" dog :p )

And I will repeat what has been said: I love the Yofi earflap-resting shelf. He is such a character!

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
P4159700.jpg

Oh how cute! I love this picture. Tell you what, I will trade you a big lovable slightly smarter then a rock pointer for Izzy.;)

I am sure Kaya (sp?) appreciated the Yofi seal of approval of her cushion.

Love the ear resting of Yofi, such a ham.

I think you jinxed our family!!! I mean - you got me into loving and wanting E-lops which I now have.

And now....this?

Early Monday morning (around midnight really - almost 1 am) - Robin heard a noise outside for a few minutes. After 10 or 15 minutes she went outside to see what it was.....and found a puppy in the gutter across the street from us (hungry and flea-infested).

She brought him in - asked us to please not kill her (we figured out why when we crated him later that night).....and well....after seeing him snuggle with the flemish giants the last couple of days - Art has said he needs to stay here.

His name is Oreo - tell me if he isn't "almost" a twin to your Izzy.

[align=center]
1499_200230_500000003.jpg

1499_200230_500000002.jpg

1499_200230_500000001.jpg

1499_200230_500000000.jpg

Please ... please ... please do NOT take in any more animals till we figure out how to break this "tie" between our families...

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

[/align]

wabbitmom12 wrote:
:inlove: Izzy is so cute!!

Don't worry...if you keep gently exposing him to new experiences, he will gradually gain confidence. (Unless Somebunny permanently traumatizes him with a Yofi-head butt, LOL.)

Our scaredy-dog Charlie piddled every time he got startled, until he was about 3 years old...but I think MOST other dogs would be over that stage much sooner. (Poor Charlie had separation anxiety issues because he was shuffled to 3 different houses, then the pound, before he was 5 months old. It took him an unusually long amount of time to become a "mature" dog :p )

And I will repeat what has been said: I love the Yofi earflap-resting shelf. He is such a character!

Yes, I keep hoping that Izzy will manage to overcome his fears. He's got Kaya to act as a role model (which can be both good and bad, depending) but he does show promise. Izzy came home with me on Friday, and today (for the most part) I'd say he's got the grasp on housetraining. It took me to notice that he actually was giving signs of wanting to be let outside; since he doesn't really bark much - yet, anyway - he will just sit in the middle of the kitchen floor, and IF I happen to notice him and ask what he wants, he'll head toward the back door. He just doesn't know yet how to ask to be let outside.

Poor Charlie! My heart really goes out to dogs who had a rough start in life. They often have so many psychological battles to overcome, and unfortunately can't verbalize, so their problems are all too often misunderstood and they're deemed *bad dogs*. Kaya had a pretty rough start as well; she'd been abandoned and was found wandering along a highway, half starved. She came home with me toting along all sorts of emotional baggage. She didn't have any *plumbing* issues, but instead was food aggressive, dog aggressive, and would destroy my apartment within 5 minutes of me leaving. I was the third person she was adopted out to, as the first two couldn't handle her issues and she was returned each time. She was being considered for euthanasia when I took her, and I'll admit I went through trials and tears with her before she finally settled down and felt secure. The 'scared enough to piddle' sometimes never goes away (and is one of many reasons dogs do get returned...which in turn traumatizes them even more), so I'd say Charlie's done all right. ;)

Ha...Yofi's earflap rest...I wouldn't be surprised to walk into the rabbit room some day and find he's built himself a proper shelf above it, and a bookcase in the rear. :biggrin2:

Omigosh, Peg!! How weird is that?!? And how adorable is he???? The poor little thing...I wonder how he wound up in the gutter all alone! Thank heavens Robin heard him; I'd hate to think of what could have happened to him if he'd gone undiscovered.

He is just the sweetest little guy...just look at that face:

1499_200230_500000002.jpg

And you know, you're probably thinking this too ;) but I had the distinct impression that this little fellow chose you guys. He's come into your lives for a reason, and I'll bet he's going to be very special to you. And he certainly does look like Izzy, doesn't he? His coat is shorter, but the markings are striking. Definitely border collie in the boy, I'd say. :)

LOL...it's just too funny, the timing (I'll say timing because I don't believe in coincidences). Even down to Yofi and Jar Jar (who also look like twins) having the same manlop problems at the same time! Too funny.

(btw, I was thinking about getting a pony to round out the herd here. Do you have room for one there? :wink)

A few more photos (and one or two have rabbits in them ;))

Anna, peering out from the portal

P4189980.jpg

Izzy on Kaya's bed (note the dirty look he's getting over on the left)

P4189970.jpg

It seems that Izzy, despite his diminutive size, is able to push Kaya around...he takes over her toys, her space, her bed(s). Last evening I was getting ready to go to bed and happened to glance in at the bedroom as I was passing by; there was Izzy, streeeeetched out in Kaya's dog bed while Kaya sat on the carpet, staring forlornly at what used to be her place to sleep. I shook my head and entered the bathroom to brush my teeth, then came out a few moments later. Izzy was still in Kaya's bed, sound asleep and snoring contentedly, but this time Kaya wasn't on the floor. No, she had crammed her 50-lb self into Izzy's tiny little puppy crate and was looking out at me pleadingly, wondering, I suppose, if this was how things were going to be from now on.

Nommin' on a non-threatening sheep

P4189958.jpg

Yofi, enjoying the one day of sunshine we've had in the past week or so

P4190113.jpg

P4190112.jpg

Anna too, out in the sun. The pair of them just sat there along the fringes of the garden area...not sure if they enjoyed themselves, but at least they got the chance to get a tan.

P4190114.jpg

P4190111.jpg

(This one's like a Where's Waldo picture...can you spot the bunny?)

P4190012.jpg

Outside, having FUN!

P4190052.jpg

P4190045.jpg

P4190059.jpg

P4190077.jpg

Playing with an old 'My Pretty Pony' of Kaya's that Izzy dug up from somewhere in the yard

P4190015.jpg

Apparently, plant pots aren't just for plants

P4179847.jpg

Kaya, grand matriarch of the canines in Yofi's howse

P4190070.jpg

And this is the look I get whenever I say "...IZZZZZY" if he's piddled on the inside, rather than the out

P4200131.jpg

And a note about the weather:

btw, this week so far has to be one of the suckiest in terms of spring weather here. Is it like this everywhere? I mean, yesterday it poured, cold, hard, wet, crappy rain all day, the temps were freezing, and this morning I woke up to snow on the ground and a wind chill temp of -8C. Normally at this time of year it's around +13C, warm, balmy, and NICE! What the heck happened to spring?

Don't know - but its been in the 70's here and humid....that is - early in the mornings....not sure what that translates to up there in C.

Your photos make me want to wake up Oreo and have him go outside and play so I can get photos of him too....Izzy looks like that's a lot of fun!

Oreo seems to mostly sleep. I really think he's pretty young - I'm guessing we'll learn more at the vet's in a few hours!

Oh, I'd take that! (I had to look up the conversion factor, as after all these years I'm still not great at converting...I grew up learning the Farenheit scale, and then the Canadian gov't decided to switch

+70 F converts to just over +21 C. (Man, that's perfect temps)

-8 C converts to +17.5 F. So yeah, it's cold here. Snowflakes are still coming down intermittently...and it's supposed to be around +55.5 F at this time of year!

You should have seen Izzy when he discovered that plant pot the other day. He thought that was the greatest thing ever! Give Oreo another week or so and I'm sure he'll be flying by the seat of his pants. I know next to nothing about puppies, but I'd guess (based on pics that were posted of Izzy's brood around the time they were going up for sale) that Oreo's probably 6 weeks or so. Izzy was 8 weeks when pics were posted and he didn't look a whole lot more mature than Oreo does now. From what I understand though, they grow FAST! To me Izzy looks bigger than he does when I picked him up, and that was this past Friday. So take lots of Oreo pictures, because he's going to get big really quickly.

Good luck at the vets today! I'm taking Kaya in this afternoon, because Izzy tested positive for an internal parasite (giardia). So Kaya's poops has to be tested, and herself as well, given her age, to make sure she can handle treatment if she needs it.

I'm dying to find out Oreo's age....I seriously don't think he's 6 weeks old even....he's the size of a holland lop.

Izzy needs a flemish giant to cuddle with - they're MUCH nicer than e-lops when it comes to puppies.

Well - Oreo is approx. 6 weeks old. He had his first puppy shot....goes back in 3 weeks for his next one.

Why is it that free puppies - or free ANY ANIMAL - is NEVER EVER FREE?

At least he's not a "gift that keeps on giving"..

I had to laugh at the Izzy/Yofi encounter. I could just picture it all, the two of them will little bumps on their noggins.

Izzy will probably be like Charlie and Jake, scarred of the bunny's and always willing to move out of their way.

This picture is so cute.

P4200131.jpg

Brief update on bunnies, dogs, and stuff

First, Izzy is adjusting well, although poop training isn't the best. Not his fault...it's mine...I haven't been watching him every second, and so a couple of times he went in the living room on the (thankfully old, very dirty) carpet. Leash training is improving, slowly. Crate training - which is what I had worried about the most - went best of all.

Bunnies are both fine, but probably going a bit stir-crazy. I'd kept them confined to their room for the past while since Izzy was diagnosed with a parasite and I didn't want them exposed. However, this afternoon it's supposed to be beautiful outside, so they will be able to go out and run around in the garden area. Although *running around* for both Yofi and Anna seems to be more of a *sit and soak up the sun* adventure. This morning I did let Izzy go and see the bunnies, and of course he was wary at first. He almost pooped his little puppy pants the first time he saw Yofi, and would run and hide in another room. Now though, confidence is building; yesterday when I let him see them he semi-approached the rabbits, gave two or three big puppy woofs and then ran. This morning though, Izzy gathered up all the bravery that his little border collie body could muster, and when he saw Yofi he walked tentatively up to him, then smelled, poked, pawed, and woofed a tiny bit. I thought, 'Oh, this is good'; but that was a short-lived pondering, as Izzy approached Yofi once more, this time with added bravado. He spotted one big dangling Yofster ear, grabbed it, and yanked. Hard. Guess he'd wanted to steal it from The Boy and didn't realize it came with a whole humongous rabbit attached. Oddly, Yofi didn't even really notice; just turned and started to hop the other way. And that's when Izzy noticed something almost as fun as an oversized earflap: there was a huge, inviting ball of fluff on the other side of this weird creature. And so earflap forgotten, he made a lunge for the tail-end of Yofi...however, I intervened and grabbed the silly pup before he could make contact. So now the process begins: training a dog who was bred to herd everything that moves that bunnies, especially resident house bunnies, are not giant stuffed toys designed to be tugged at, nipped at, barked at, or played with. And even though it might be hard for Izzy to realize, they do NOT come equipped with squeekers inside.

Thursday was a very strange day here. The weather, which began mildly enough, did a huge 180deg turn by mid-morning. It must have been tail-end effects of the devastating storms in the southern U.S. (what people have been going through in tornado-stricken areas is just so beyond even realization...:(). But the day here, in itself, was just strange.

It began while I was getting ready for work. I had let the dogs out, fed the bunnies, fed Izzy, fed myself, got dressed, etc., then walked both dogs for about half an hour. Returned to the house and was just about ready to leave when I saw the first sign of the day to come: Izzypoop all over the living room floor. Of course had I been paying attention, I would have realized that he'd held it all in during the walk, saving his little canine surprise as a special treat for inside the house, no doubt. Cursing under my breath (at myself, not him), I cleaned up the mess and then left.

At work my computer was acting up. When I logged on I got some sort of weird message about some program not working. However, I got past that (ignore when not sure what it means ;)) and did some work stuff. I had problems off and on after that, but with me and computers, that's not unusual. In fact, they had rebuilt my computer for me just a few weeks ago as the old one was doing some very odd things and no one could figure out what was causing it...then when I got the rebuild, again, things would act strange. However, I've sort of learned to live with electronic nightmares, and have been classified by some of my co-workers as *one of those people*...you know, someone who just can't function around electronics without somehow having them go all wonky.

Anyway, at lunchtime I left to catch the bus and go home to let the dogs out and feed Izzy. Since it takes the bus forever sometimes to travel the short route, I didn't want to miss it, so ran, despite wearing (low) heels on my shoes. The wind had picked up by this time and was getting wicked-wild (I later learned that a wind advisory had been issued by Environment Canada for our area, but didn't know it then). So I ran, fighting the wind and my footwear in an effort to get to the bus stop. Unfortunately (and sort of like one of Izzy and Yofi's previous unplanned meetings) my left heel zigged when it should have zagged, and my ankle decided to follow suit...and I went sprawling onto the concrete. Took me a few seconds to recover myself...I remember lying there for a moment wondering if I'd hurt anything, and waiting to see if there was pain...but everything felt okay and so I stood up. (That, btw, is when the bus passed. I totally missed it as it sped along, rushing past the stop and on its way down the road.) Anyway, I hobbled up the hill to the stop, realizing that - ow - my leg kinda hurt, in a couple of spots. But I sat and waited for the next bus to pass, at least thankful that I hadn't torn my pants.

So the next bus came along about 15 minutes later. I got on, sat there - now hurting a bit more than I first was - and hoped I'd still have time to take the dogs out for a walk before heading back. Just as the bus pulled up to my exit, a couple of big, juicy raindrops plopped down and hit the window...and as I stepped off the bus and onto the sidewalk, the heavens opened up. It poured...wicked, cold, huge, wet rain, and it hit like small stones, driven by the incredible wind. I tried running home but couldn't because of my now throbbing leg, so by the time I reached my street I was absolutely, completely soaked to the skin. Walking up to my front door I put the key in the lock and, yes...the rain stopped as suddenly as it began, and the sun came out. :grumpy:

So I did a quick change, checked out my owwies, took care of the dogs and then returned to work. By this time my leg - ankle and knee - was throbbing painfully, but thankfully I had some painkillers left over from a recent oral surgery, and they got me through the afternoon. Then at 1:30 we had to attend a meeting, so about 25 of us crammed into a small, windowless room to learn all about our company's new website (and ongoing glitches). Then, about an hour into the meeting, the power went off. Everyone was in the dark, literally...so someone managed to find their way to the door and we herded out, like sheep, to one of the windows, and sunlight. Apparently the wind had gotten so bad that several transformers had been knocked out of commission, and a good portion of the city lost power. So once we were given the okay, we all headed home for the day. Trees had been uprooted all over the place, power was off, and there were reports of a couple of people who'd been seriously hurt when wind gusts literally lifted them into the air and threw them. Very strange weather indeed, for Ottawa.

Anyway, at the end of the day I made it home and finally took a good look at my own injuries. Turns out I wrenched my knee in the fall and suffered a sprained ankle as well. Both are quite swollen and very tender. I can still walk - well, hobble - but can't go up and down steps very well, and definitely can't run. As long as I don't move either joint to one side, it seems I'm okay...and as long as I don't stay on my feet for any length of time. But it definitely was a strange day! And what's funny is, when I woke up that morning and when the Izzy-deposit happened on the floor, I suddenly had this weird feeling, like a premonition, that the day was not going to be a good one.

Oh, and on a related note...you know you're getting old when a quick tumble to the ground almost winds up sidelining you! I remember that as a kid I suffered multiple falls, many on concrete whilst wearing shorts, and even though I may have cried and all, I'd still get up, tenderly pick out the rocks and other assorted debris that had become embedded in my bloody knees, and off I'd go again. The next day I'd have scabbing and soreness around that, but it certainly didn't stop me...I'd be flying down the sidewalk again at full throttle, looking for the next adventure. Now it feels like I'm tempting fate in even just a short sprint to the bus. :rollseyes

aging isn't for sissy's they say lol. glad to hear you didn't injure yourself too much, now if that were me i would have been looking left and right and over my shoulder to see if anyone was witness to my humiliation. I too recently had a similar misadventure with walking. i thought i was being all cute and bought this pair of shoes with like 5 inch heels and went to step over a rope (put to keep people out so i should have been warned) and the the heel just caught the rope on one foot and i went down like a redwood tree!! needless to say i had a bruise on my hip and thigh the size of a dinner plate and could hardly sit or stand comfortaby the whose rest of the night. talk about being humiliated! lol:embarrassed:

Gracious sakes, Di! Did you feel like you were in the Twilight Zone all day long? (Cue the curious music, DOOO dooo dooo dooo, DOOO dooo dooo dooo...)

We had really wild wind here on Tuesday...40 mph windgusts that reminded me of "Winnie the Pooh's Blustery Day", when Piglet holds on tight to a balloon string whilst flying high above the Hundred Acre Wood. Sprained ankles are no fun, but hopefully resting over the weekend will find you with no more than a slight limp on Monday. (*fingers crossed*)

I'm behind, I know, but I need to comment on your pictures posted the 21st! Izzy is absolutely ADORABLE! (Poor dear, doesn't realize he is taking his life into his own hands, playing with the dangling Yofi-earflaps.)

And poor Kaya, having to give up her cushion to the INTERLOPER!! (Bad enough that the long-eared lagomorph already SLID all over it, repeatedly, with his Big Stinky Bunny Feet, lol).

The next-to-last picture, of Kaya, is so regal-looking. I wonder what is going on in her doggie mind?

And, finally, the first picture of Anna in the garden...2 words....BUNNY LIPS! :big kiss:

(((Susan)))

I think this is the longest I've ever been away from the forum! I'm going to try and come in this evening and post a few pics...though I don't have any new ones that are terribly exciting. Yofi's neck abscess came back twice, and it looked horrifically nasty; hopefully it's now under control. His poor neck looks all battered and feels rough, scarred over. I suspect (as does the vet) that he's got something going on in his system that's related to Pasteurella, so it's a chronic condition. (Maybe that's why the breeder got rid of his rabbits not long after I got Yofi.) Anyway, his neck is on the mend, but it's got to be checked daily.

I'll see what I can dig up for pictures this evening...got way too much to catch up on around the house today, and I have such an aversion to housework, if I don't force myself to start now it just won't get done. ;)

I hope you and all of your crew are doing well!

Will be back later....:hug:

New pics...bunnies and doggies and balls...oh my!

Anna and the Yofster in their room (pre-cleanup, already due to be done again)

P7142733.jpg

P7142730.jpg

P7142719.jpg

P7142714.jpg

P7142696.jpg

P7142685.jpg

P7142667.jpg

P7142663.jpg

P7142669.jpg

P7142671.jpg

P7142656.jpg

In the garden

P7032377.jpg

In these two photos you can see just how nasty Yofi's abcess got. I debated whether to let him outdoors because it was so raw and open, but in the end decided that his need for fresh air and lifted spirits, after being confined to the bunny room for so long, was also necessary. It just meant extra-thorough cleaning of the wound post-outdoor romp. And yep, that abscess was nasty

P6202140.jpg

P6202142.jpg

That was at the height of the infection. Now, after once again treating The Boy (removing dead skin - ugh - and applying treatment) his neck now looks like this:

P7142697.jpg

Still not perfect, but a vast improvement.

And here are some Izzy-whizzy pics, as well as one or two of Kaya. This puppy is obsessed with B.A.L.L.S., and FUD. (I thought Kaya and Yofi had voracious appetites? They've got nuthin' on the Izzster.)

P7142753.jpg

P7142784.jpg

Trying to suck every last drop of non-existent marrow out of an old bone

P7102512.jpg

P7032326.jpg

P7032323.jpg

P7032345.jpg

Aeronautics, border collie style

P7052414.jpg

P7052429.jpg

P7032316.jpg

P6202216.jpg

P6202217.jpg

The soccer ball, or what's left of it

P7012277.jpg

And a smile worth a thousand giggles...lookit those teeth!

P6202113.jpg

Great pictures Di. :inlove:

Your bunnies get cuter everytime I see them. Poor Yofi, that looks painfull..

How's Izzy with the bunnies? Do they ever see each other?

Susan:)

Latest posts

Back