Wrigley isn't eating or pooping.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babybunnywrigley

Reaction score
I've had such a horrible day...

The air conditioner broke yesterday. We had to go out and buy fans. Wrigley has two fans in his bedroom. He also has 2 frozen 2 liter pop bottles in his cage. I've been doing everything I can to make him comfortable, but something isn't right. I noticed today that he has not eaten much of his pellets and he is not pooping much at all. The poop that is in his cage is bigger than it should be and full of fur. He isn't even as excited about his dried papaya treats. He usually eats them all at once, but the last day he has not been. He also peed outside of his litterbox which is something he hasn't done since he was nuetered.

I feel so horrible because I should have caught this sooner.I think it has been going on for 2 days now. My mom was nice enough to clean Wrigley's cage for me yesterday and I thought she had refilled his food bowl and she told me that his litterbox was not too bad so she didn't empty it. I didn't think anything of that because I had just cleaned it out the day before. Then today I found out that she had not refilled his food bowl and it was still full.

Now as if things can't get any worse I'm completely not prepared for this. I don't have any of the things I need to get Wrigley eating and pooping again.

My mom is going to stop at the store on her way home from work and pickup some canned pumpkin and fresh pineapple and anything else I may need for Wrigley.

Then we have the air conditioner guy coming over tonight...

I forgot to mention that the electricity went out this afternoon and that had me really freaking out because of all of my pets, especially Wrigley because heat effects him the most and it is 90+ degrees out.

I just feel so horrible that I didn't notice something was wrong with Wrigley sooner and that I don't have the things to help him yet.

I'm really sorry for making this post some long. It's just been arough day. What should I have my Mom get for Wrigley to help him poop and get him eating?

Thanks for listening.

Jenn

Oh Gosh, I hope you can get his system going right away. That's scary it's been 2 days.

Absolutely should get NutriCal, Simethicone (baby gas formula you canget at a CVS under baby items), and some Tetracycline which you canusually find at a feed store. One teaspoon per gallon ofwater and then give him a syringe full. What size syringes doyou have?

Let Wrigley run around so that he can get his system moving andexercised. Give him a massage, and get some Pedialyte to keephim hydrated. By all means, give him cannedpumpkin. He'll need the fiber in it to encourage him to go.

Will pray very hard.

:pray:

-Carolyn

Can you get him to a vet? If there wasfur in his poop (when he was still pooping) he may have a fair bit inhis stomach that could turn into a hairball.

Pumpkin is good, but you may need to force feed it if he isn'tinterested. Nutri Cal is a good supplement- you put it ontheir paw and they will groom it off. Have you tried temptinghim to eat yet? Will he eat any treats, or is he refusinganything?

If he is having problems with gas, you can give him simethicone(spelling?). If he has gas, you will hear unnaturally loudgurgling noises when you put your ear to his belly.

I've never nursed a rabbit through GI stasis before, but others here have and can give some better advice.

Oh Jenn - I'm hoping for you and Wrigley. Hold on sweet bunny...

:bunnydance:***<--- For Wrigley get moving baby and start pooping!

Hi Jenn!

I'm sorry to hear about Wrigley :(

I could just be the heat that is affecting him, although you should probably take someprecautions.

You'll have a good start with the canned pumpkin and fresh pineapple juice.

You might want to give him some Nutri-cal and possibly some Pedialyte, too.

If necessary, force the pumpkin and liquids with a syringe (youcan get one that they make for babies meds in the drug store).

Laxatone works well for furblock.

Simethicone will help if he's gassy/bloated.

Keep a close eye on him and get him to the vet if he gets worse.

Keep us updated.

NutriCal has laxatone/stimulant in it. :)

-Carolyn

This is nuts! This summer has been somuch hotter then the past few, at least here, and I think that's reallyaffecting the bunnies.

I just went through this last week with Abby. It wasawful. I got NO sleep for 3 days, but trust me, it's worth it.

Everyone has given you good suggestions, the other thing I can reallythink of is to make a pellet slurry. Take some pellets andmix them with pedialyte or water if you don't have pedialyteyet. Let them soak for a while and then put them in a blenderto reduce it to a suldge. Abby was willing to drink the waterthat kind of floated to the top at first, but then I had to syringe itinto her.

Jen

Thank you all so much.

Well, the power went out again, but it is back on my Stepdad said that some the lights around the area are out too.

I gave Wrigley some pumpkin he ate about half of what I gavehim. I also gave him some fresh pineapple he hasn't eaten anyof it yet.

I got Nutrical, Pedialyte, and Simethicone. I'm not sure what to give him first and how much to give him.

I just thought I would mention that he is still rather active and hewas nibbling on a few pieces of hay. He hasn't eaten hispapaya treats though or pooped yet.

I would put extra water bottles in the freezerso that way if the power did go out you can pull them out as the otherone starts to warm up. I have 1 half gal bottle in the freezer, 2 readyto go when I pull one out. I also have 10 20 oz bottles in the freezerand like 8 extra all ready to be put in as I pull out the frozen ones.Everytime I buy pop or anything that comes in bottles I save them andfill it with water.

Wow seems like this year is GI stasis and other things with heat. wow.Im praying for you and Wriggly and the advice I see up there is thebest to go even though I have never gone through it yet. *KNOCK ONWOOD*.

Take care.

Angel and SweetPea

Doesn't matter that he doesn't want the pumpkin,it does matter that he gets it in his system. He needs thefiber. I'd fill a syringe (even though it's a pain) withstraight canned pumpkin and make sure he gets a decentamount. As much as he'll take.

How big are your syringes?

Tucker is 4 lbs and I was giving him .03 mil of Simethicone in the morning and evening.

Tetracycline - one teaspoon per gallon once a day. Have to know size of syringe - one dose per day.

NutriCal - with each treatment - every 4 hours, I'd give Tucker atleast 1/2 inch. NutriCal is key for stimulating appetite,laxatone, boosting immune system, and getting nutrients and vitaminshe's missing by not eating.

Pineapple has to be fresh to break up mucus in hairballs, althoughenzymes effects are questionable to some. I do itanyway. Don't give him a choice in eating it.Squeeze out the juice and feed with syringe.

Papaya Tablets might be best at this time. Get ones with no sugar and give a pill a day.

Wouldn't dilute the pumpkin, pineapple, or simethicone.

Pedialyte, again, wondering about the sizes of your syringes.]

These are key to get in him at this point. He won't like it, but it must be done for his health and survival.

-Carolyn

S'more is 7 lbs and is about 2 1/2 years old.

We gave her 1/2 inch of Nutri-cal daily (you may want to double this because we we also giving Laxatone 1/2 inch daily);

.06 ml simethicone twice daily;

&

as much Pedialyte as she would tolerate (10 to 15 cc at a time),however we had taken S'more to the vet and she gave her IV liquids torehydrate her in the beginning.

We squeezed the juice from fresh pineapple and mixed it with thePedialyte, because S'more wouldn't eat it. We tried to give herstraight pineapple juice, but I don't think she like the sweet/sourtaste.

No way around it...we had a very messy sticky bunnie after each treatment.

Woah...is Wrigley upset with me...:shock:

I gave him the nutrical. That was a pain...

He ate the pumpkin and pineapple on his own.

I'm about to give him some pedialyte. He has been licking some ice cubes though.

Best of all he left about 11 little and big poops. I'm just happy something is coming out. :)

I don't think anyones buns likes to be botheredif you got to force feed them or anything. At least he is willing toeat the pumpkin and pineapples on his own.

Latest posts

Back