Worried for my bunny boy (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tracy... thanks for the vote of confidence. I can't tell you how much my anxiety goes up when I can't get the Critical Care into him. Like last night before bed. Then this morning again. But I left him alone for a bit to calm back down while I changed his bedding, then I burrito'd him back up and tried again. Got it in (all but just a little) that time. And we were both able to get a nap in after that.

This morning, if I'm not mistaken, his eyes aren't going back and forth very much, if at all. He's been on his feet a few times, just can't seem to stay on them for very long tho. I didn't realize just how "dizzy" it would make him with me lifting him for feedings, and needles. So yesterday I went incredibly slow with him, and covered his eyes when possible... maybe that helped?

I saw him have a few twigs of hay. And he's eaten all the veggies I've given him. This morning I gave him a bit of carrot... holy cow! Both him and Lego REALLY wanted that, and more. Lego was quite a sassy little girl about it actually.

I did call the vet, and she's called in sick, so I will try back again tomorrow... but this will give me one more day to monitor him.

O'kay back to check on him.

Little man has had his lunch and some water (via syringe). He's now sitting like a chicken and sleeping. Fingers crossed that he is able to maintain an upright position like this more and more!!

Wahoo! I wonder if the difference is how slowly you are moving him and how more aware you are about how disorientating it was for him.

You're doing great :) Hooray for good days and little improvements.

Try keeping him warm with a rice sock. Just put uncooked rice in a sock and tie it off, microwave for 1-2 min.

:fingers crossed:

Is he still sitting like a chicken? How alert does he seem? If he goes un-alert or floppy ever, it's an emergency.

He's laying on his side. I got his meds & food into him, his Pen G and his fluids. But his whole body is doing tiny shakes. I put a small towel on him to keep him warm. Earlier... just before his fluids, he was trying to groom his face... so I just don't know.

Ok, it sounds like he's probably ok. The shakes and coldness make me worry. When are you going back to the vet? I don't know, if his ears still feel cold and he's shaking he may need a checkup again soon. The shakes sounds like he might be shivering. I'd try to warm him up if you can. If you don't have rice and a sock, you can use an electric heating pad or hot water bottle. Just make sure he can't chew on the pad or cord, and tat he can get away if he wants to.

I called the vet today... to talk about the eye movement, etc. but she had called in sick today. I will be calling her tomorrow tho. And I do have a hot water bottle, while I'll use next if he starts shivering again. Just wondering if the fluids could have cooled him down?

The fluids have to be given at body temperature, so they shouldn't cool him down. Are they being given at body temperature?

How is he doing this morning?

The fluids are being given at room temp. The vet didn't say anything. What is body temp for a bunny? How would I warm it up?

He's still laying there. No improvement. Last night he got up some to eat some hay... but he can only get up for a second, then it's right back over on his side. Shouldn't I be seeing some improvement by now?

His poops got real tiny, as were his cecos. I think it was due to the missed meal or two (when he would allow me to feed him, which trust me had me in absolute tears). I've been getting every meal in since then.

I'm just kinda a basket case... due to the worry and lack of sleep. My boss is allowing me to work short hours again this week... but I need to get him well enough to eat/drink on his own. He's alone right now at home and I can't wait until 12:30 so I can get home and check on him. But I'm exhausted... I worry that he'll be rolling and hurt himself.

Generally feeling like this :cry1:

Body temp is around 100F, more than a human's which is also 37C.

I'm so sorry this is so difficult. We're here pulling for you guys. I'm glad he ate some hay on his own. How is the antibiotic course going? Is he still on every other day?

Hey guys... I took some time to get some sleep yesterday... I was wearing myself out and it wasn't helping him or me. I believe he was going back into stasis... as his poops were all but gone again (and/or he was having lots of little mushy ones), and he was getting quite poorly. The vet thought he was out of stasis last week and when she gave me all the new meds, she said I can stop the oval. Well yesterday I finally decided to start them back up again. Got lots of food into him and then did LOTS of tummy massages. I could hear and feel the gas... poor guy! But after a bit he was able to relax and actually purred.

I called the vet yesterday, and asked about continuing the sub q fluids, as I am worried about getting enough fluids into him orally. So I got another package of that. I also asked about continuing the Pen G on an every other day routine, instead of moving to twice a week already... as I haven't seen any improvement... only decline. I now realize that was probably mostly due to his going back into stasis tho. After giving him lots of food yesterday and lots of tummy massages, and encouraging him to eat hay, I believe that he ate a fair bit of it last night during sleep. I didn't sleep in their room last night... as I really needed to re-charge myself.

I was getting really anxious these past few days (from Sat. to now), as he wouldn't take any food on Sat. and then he just seemed to be doing worse and worse. At this point he's not able to even get up... but he is acting a lot more perky, and I even heard lots of little (chirping?) noises last night.

Anyways, we're taking things one day at a time... hopefully we will see improvement soon. Tonight will mark one week on Pen G.

Claire, I talked to the vet about the fluids... she said she usually doesn't get her clients to warm the water (prob. worried ppl will make it too warm), but I asked about putting the bag into a warm water bath, and she thought that would be good. We did that last night and no shivering!! I will definitely warm it up from now on. I put the bag (before warming it up) against my arm... and yeah, it's definitely cool to the touch. I felt soo bad, but it's amazing what you can do when you're ignorant of things. I wish I had know back when this all began, what I know now... but all we can do it move forward, and try to stay as positive as possible!

Hopefully working out the problem will mean he can start moving forward with him.

You're doing the right thing by recharging your batteries because you're right, you can't look after him unless you look after yourself.

I hope you start to see some improvement now :)

Latest posts

Back