Worried for my bunny boy (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If he's on a probiotic, the Baytril shouldn't mess with his intestines too much. And aurora is right, metacam is an NSAID that will reduce inflammation. He and his girl are so sweet. I just love bunny cuddles--it's the thing that makes me so happy my guys have a partner, even though I'm no longer "Tony's girlfriend". You have a demanding medicine schedule there, but you're learning a lot about how to take care of your guys, which is great! I wish I knew how to do sub-q fluids, just in case.

Claire... next time you're at the vet with your guys get your vet to show you. It's actually not that hard... just difficult (mostly for you) to poke the needle into your loved bun.

So just did the Pen G. Just have fluids to do in a few hours. He is not interested in any foods today... tho he is allowing the critical care. But he can't even take a step without just flipping on his side. =(

Gosh I hope the infections back off his balance parts soon...

Does anyone know how I can reach Randy? I've been hoping he'd reply here again to the latest drugs. I'dlikehis opinion onif Pen G every 48 hours for one week, then backing off to twice a week will be enough... or if it should be every 48 hours for a couple/few weeks, then back off. So far, if anything, I think it's gotten worse... not better. =(

I just can't understand why things are getting worse if he's on the right meds now. He can barely stand... and as I was feeding him just now I noticed his eyes are twitching forward and back. :cry2

Hi Dee,

I'm relatively new here and don't have any experience with your particular situation. I just wanted to let you know we have Jacub in our prayers and hope for a speedy recovery.

Bill

He will have good days and bad days unfortunately, although obviously there may be a reason but I donb't have enough medical knowledge to talk about that.

The nystagmus is horrible to see. Did anything trigger it? Tilly's was always worse after I lifted her and put her back down.

Colder weather can also make it worse, as can stress. The stress may be relevant because of the injections he is having to have.

Maybe try giving him a heat pad to rest his neck on if you feel he has the ability to get away from it.

On a side note I did post a video of Tilly yesterday, in your thread- not sure if you saw it or not.

Jacub at this point is almost always on his side. I just took a vid of him on a rare "up" moment... will post when it's done uploading. His eyes continue to move forward and back (like when I first found him). Even tho he's had two injections of Pen G and Baytril (Sub Q initial, then orally since) I've only seen him go downhill. He absolutely refused the Critical Care just now. Wouldn't take any water/pedialyte either. The metacam doesn't seem to be cutting it. I'm going to call the vet tomorrow... but I'm losing hope.

Tracy, thanks for taking the video... she looks great!

Video #1
Jacub Standing
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM3ldhQ7cCc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM3ldhQ7cCc[/ame]

Video #2
Jacub Laying
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1mGX_y4_D8[/ame]

He did get up after maybe 15 mins and chew on some hay. How he's up and basically it's like vid #1.

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get his fluids in tonight if he's laying on his side. Or how to get the Critical Care into him when he absolutely refuses.

That's a sweet video.

You can see the scanning affecting him even as he stands up. He seemed most with it though when you touched him, and that's probably because it helped ground him and know which way is up. I'm inclined to suggest again keeping him in a small space when he is lying, and use rolled towels on either side to prop him the right way up. He is super disorientated at the moment and that's what is causing is problems.

I wonder if its worth trying something like Meclizine, which in some rabbits can help with that dizziness.

Try not to expect huge results too soon, just take each day as it comes and assess what is best for him at any one time.

I do feel for you.

Thinking of you all.

x

Ijust saw the second video. That's sad. His world is probably spinning so much when he is like that, but he isn't distressed by it, which is the important thing.

Does he have his girlfriend with him all the time?

I agree that meclizine or OTC anti-nausea/seasickness pills may help. Reglan makes the gut less icky, but it's probably not going to do a lot for feeling dizzy. I think I posted what Ali does for Ringo earlier--I'll hunt it down again.

Bonine is the brand name for meclizine. As for the question about how long to treat and how often, I would hope Randy could chime in. I know it usually takes at least a month of antibiotics, and you're right that that article is for abscesses, not ear infections. The protocol your vet came up with is what I'd stick to, unless it doesn't work, or someone comes on who's used Pen G for ear infections before and has a different opinion.

Tracy...

Do you mean like this?
IMG_3732c.jpg

IMG_3733c.jpg

I'm trying it out now... but his head is telling him that down is up, so I'm afraid that he might just end up right on his back. I really wish his head wasn't fighting him like this.

He isn't with his wife all the time... and not much today at all, as he just can barely function at all. I've got him in a pen on linoleum, so that I can put down towels and change them out once soiled.

For supper tonight I tried yet again to get some Critical Care into him. Managed to get a full dose by putting my thumb against the back of his head, so he couldn't back away from the syringe. I hope this method continues to work, as I'm worried about him going back in stasis. His poops just now were so tiny they were almost invisible. =(

I will definitely talk to my vet tomorrow about anti-nausea meds. I read today that if Metacam isn't working then we may need steroids.

I don't think steroids are a good choice. We've recently been talking about different pain medicine, and the next step up from Metacam is a narcotic like Tramadol or Buprenorphine. Steroids are contra-indicated in situations where there's an infection, because they knock down the immune system, which is needed to fight the infection. In fact, some people think steroids aren't good for rabbits at all, because they have so many pathogens that exist in them normally at sub-infection levels, (including pasturella, one of the common ear infection bacteria). The rabbit's immune system usually keeps them in check so decreasing its ability to do so isn't a good idea, especially if there's already an infection going on. A narcotic pain med may help, and I really think the meclizine will help as well. Poor little guy. I know this is difficult to get through. Can you give him his fluids while he's lying down like that? As long as he stays still and you get them in the subcutaneous space, it should be good.

I had to change the setup again, as he got totally stuck on his back in the one above.

IMG_3734c.jpg

I will ask the vet about some Meclizine, or something to help tomorrow. He really is a poor little guy. I made the new pen so that Lego can get in if she wishes to see him, but he won't be able to get out. Plus when I'm not there to supervise I'll attach on an added panel to close up that open spot.

I am doing my best not to worry... but it's very difficult when he's basically just laying there, unable to even get up.

Yeh, that was what I meant but equally understand different things work for different buns. Do you feel his new set up works better for him?

I'm wondering if being with his girliefriend more might help bring him some comfort and keep him company in the times when you are not around. Some bunnies are not good for that though, do you think she might be good for him?

It is hard to worry, and its also incredibly scary, but you're doing all the right things and no one could do more. Hopefully he will perk up soon.

Latest posts

Back