Worried for my bunny boy (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad his GI system is doing better, and you've figured out the cause of the shivers. Also, I'm glad you've been able to relax! Having a bunny who's so sick can be exhausting. You're doing a great job for them. I hope the vet agrees that continuing the injections every other day for another week will help. It's ok to give him ovol every day while he's undergoing this treatment, you can wean him off of it later. You just want to get enough food into him that he can recover well and as quickly as possible.

Thinking of you guys!

Well I'll have to ask later how to approach weaning him off the oval... one thing at a time tho. I came home today about 1 pm for his mid-day feeding. His tummy was all kinds of sore again and full of gas, so I massaged once again a bit past purring. I think that once I get his tummy all relaxed and the gas bubbles broken up he then feels good enough to eat hay... which is what I think he's been up to the last three hours while I've been napping again. (I have a lot of catching up to do).

I snapped a pic of the poos I got since his lunch time meal... as you can see, the poop looking ones are really tiny, as are the softer ones.
IMG_3741c.jpg

I had gotten to the point where he was having nice solid poos and they were getting bigger. Now we are back at this stage again. I'm feeding him every meal, giving him oval and massaging his tummy. Anything else I should be doing?

Thanks again!

Probiotic? That would help. If you can't find the other stuff, acidophilus capsules are the ones you can break open and sprinkle on his food or give via syringe.

Aw man... do I feel louzy! I had to stick him three different times in order to get the Pen G in him... =(

And I still have to do his fluids yet tonight too.

Try not to worry, it happens, but you got there, which is the important thing.

How are you both today?

Well he had lots of output last night... still having the sticky yucky ones. Jacub himself is still just laying there... sleeping a lot. I really wish we could get him on his feet... as he's having a lot of gas from just laying. Hoping to see improvement in the next few days. :expressionless

Does anyone know ifit iso'kay/good to give him veggies right now... while we're trying to get him past the stasis? Any to avoid? I've been giving him Kale, Cilantro & Romaine... but not sure if any of those is gas producing?

Is he on any Meclizine now? I've forgotten, sorry.

Could you vets get any in?

To those in different countries, is it available on prescription or over the counter?

I'm just wondering if there could be a way to get one because you never know, it could make the world of difference.

That's strange. It's an OTC remedy for seasickness here, brand name Bonine. Is there a Canadian pharmacy online where I could get names of seasickness pills that are available there?

Kale can be a bit gassy, so you might stop that. I know my guys LOVE it so if it's all he'll eat, that's fine. Moving around should help reduce gas.

If the OP was willing, could some be sent to her from the US? Could we find someone willing to do that do we think?

Gah... I'm really trying not to worry here. But I just don't seem to be able to help my poor little boy. I have been feeding him his entire meal every meal since night time saturday (actually since July 31st, but last sat he wouldn't take any), given him oval since a couple days ago, massaging his tummy for long periods of time, water, veggies, etc. But his tummy just keeps filling up with gas. And he can't move to get it out on his own.

It is sold as Bonine, Bonamine, Antivert, Postafen, and Dramamine (Less Drowsy Formulation). It used to be sold as Antivert in Canada.

edit: found a reference that talks about long-term use of antibiotics in rabbits with head tilt--we were concerned before because the reference we had was for abscesses, not ear infection, and here it says to use for 4weeks-6 months (that sounds a bit excessive to me).
http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-8/head-tilt.html

MagnoliaDee wrote:
But his tummy just keeps filling up with gas.
This concerns me a bit as even with an inactive rabbit, the gut should not be continuously fill with gas.

I would keep him on the Ovol as many as 4 doses a day. In truth, that stuff does no harm at all. It will help break up those bubbles.

I would start to suspect Clostridium bacteria because of the gas and what he has been through. He is on Pen G which is ridding his body of good bacteria too. This opens the door for an overgrowth of bad bacteria. You can treat this with Cholestyramine (Questran in Canada) it binds to the bacteria so that they are not so dangerous, basically. Recently Randy also pointed out sucess with a item called "Biosponge", you can see his thread here: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=49567&forum_id=16

Pain meds are good, sadly they do slow down GI activity but if a rabbit is in enough pain it is worth it.

His poops actually do not look that bad. Not normal, but not bad. It sounds like the gas is a big problem right now and I would look at why this is happening, and perhaps treat against Clostridium. It sounds like that indeed a cause of his gas and discomfort.

Thanks dquesnel... I'll speak with my vet about this.

As for the meclizine... how do you get it in the US? It finally occurred to me yesterday that I will be in MI this sat. to pick up some Timmothy Hay I ordered for the buns... would I need a prescription?

tonyshuman wrote:
It is sold as Bonine, Bonamine, Antivert, Postafen, and Dramamine (Less Drowsy Formulation). It used to be sold as Antivert in Canada.

edit: found a reference that talks about long-term use of antibiotics in rabbits with head tilt--we were concerned before because the reference we had was for abscesses, not ear infection, and here it says to use for 4weeks-6 months (that sounds a bit excessive to me).
http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-8/head-tilt.html
Claire says those are the names, and in a previous post mentioned it is an over the counter medicine.

On length of time to treat, we treated for 2 solid months, and I have a feeling Randy said he treated a bunny for 8 monts solid at one point. It's all going to vary depending on the infection, etc.

Latest posts

Back