Worlds away - the Silversong Farm blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The task is done - Remy, Jared and Roxanne got their ears tattooed this morning... Remy decided the rabbits should not have all the fun and he autographed my hand with his nails and teeth but he was the worst of everyone.

Jared and Roxanne were quiet once I got them wrapped in the burrito...

Everyone's tattoos look great and I have some great marks to share with the surgical staff when I get my elbow fixed - they were astonished that rabbits can leave marks the way Checkered Giants can.

I consider them a badge of honor.

Denise

DeniseJP wrote:
Everyone's tattoos look great and I have some great marks to share with the surgical staff when I get my elbow fixed - they were astonished that rabbits can leave marks the way Checkered Giants can.

Denise
I know what you mean, I donate plasma to earn a few extra dollars, one of the technicians looked at my arm and asked if I had lost a fight with a cat and I said no a rabbit. He looked very surprised. There not all docile! Still adorable though!

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
DeniseJP wrote:

Denise
I know what you mean, I donate plasma to earn a few extra dollars, one of the technicians looked at my arm and asked if I had lost a fight with a cat and I said no a rabbit. He looked very surprised. There not all docile! Still adorable though!

That was me when I was getting the right elbow fixed- I have a red raspberry patch and wild blackberries that I was picking right about the time Roxanne was teaching me Checkered Giant rule #1 (no hands in my cage without warning) so when the nurses asked what happened, I said Raspberries and rabbits and they could not believe rabbits could be capable of the bite marks on my hands or the scratches... I just told them to watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail... not all bunnies are docile for sure!

The lady who is taking Dipper (my older mare) could not believe how well mannered my young Hollands were - I was showing her that they were bucks, that they had good teeth and that their toenails matched similar to how the judge might do an exam and then I set them up and the all posed (amazing since Stinger was not into posing) and she wants me to help her 4H group show rabbits, which will be fun since my kids are not interested in showing. They may come with me to our January show to watch and see all the different breeds.

She did not want a Checkered Giant, by the way - but Calliope was in my arms and was quietly looking around, in close proximity to my face and ears...felt like I was sticking my head into a lion's mouth for a moment.

Radar and Splash posed well on the table I had set up - and if I remember right - Splash really held his pose for some time - he will make a judge's job a little easier if he continues to be a good boy. Juno was the same way as a baby and it looks like she passed that trait on to her kits. She is such a sweet rabbit - I love her a lot.:inlove: Then again, I love them all!

Some big news from the horse side of things - Mercy, my celebrity mini, will be appearing in another miniature horse book -The Big Book of Small Equines by Johnny Robb & Jan Westmark - the book is due to be published in November. This makes 4 books under her belt - two stories I wrote - the others are by other authors.

Insomnia hit at 2AM...but then again I am excited as the new baby horse arrives here this afternoon. Pics and a proper introduction later.

Denise

Have to get pictures but here is the word update...a slight diversion from my life with bunnies for a moment...

Left here to go pick up Saoirse - a friend was supposed to ride with me but she never bothered to call so I went solo. I have a lot of faith in my horse handling skills... probably more than most trainers would but somehow this felt "right."

I met the filly in person and my heart just melted. She is fuzzy and was wearing a dog blanket that she had just outgrown. She did not mind me scratching her... she came up to me and started "grooming" me back, without her teeth... had to teach Mercy how to not use her teeth and only her lips.

Yesterday was weaning day for her so mom went to one side of the barn and after leaving my deposit and signing the contract, the lead was in my hands. I had a new baby horse! She still has the baby foal smell of milk and newness... kind of like the smell puppies have. (When she got home and I put her new blanket on, I hugged her and just took in that baby horse scent. I forgot how much I missed having baby foals....)

Her breeder and I brought her over to my truck to the crew cab area and lifted her front end up (she is not much bigger than my Labrador) and she leaped up to get in so we gave her backside a boost.

Once inside she picked at some hay and we gave her a moment to adjust to the new surroundings and smells. She started grooming me again and sniffing me so I felt that she felt comfortable. It is not unusual for my Morgan filly to come over to me and start messing with my hair or smelling my clothes - she seems to like the way I smell (thank God!).

We closed the doors a few times and while Saoirse jumped once, she settled in as if to say "OK, I can deal."

I climbed in and her breeder took pictures of her in the truck and then I started off with a promise to call once I got home...she was a little worried I was attempting this on my own...

I took backroads home rather than the expressways - lots of beautiful fall colors... Saoirse would whinny to me (hey, where are we going? where's my mom? you are my friend, aren't you? is it OK that mom is not here? I am just a baby... you will love me, won't you?) and I would talk to her and she would nuzzle me (baby horse nuzzles are like rabbit whiskers, ears and tails... simply irresistable)and I would just melt. I had a Yanni CD in the CD player that she seemed to like - it had her relaxed.

I finally got home and when I opened the door, Saoirse leaped into my arms and I set her on the ground.

My mare Mercy started her horse therapy career or service horse career with a car ride and since Saoirse will be her successor, and she behaved so well, we are off to a good start.

Denise

awww Saoirse sounds adorable, I love minitures! Will be looking forward to seeing some pics.

EEK! Pictures!

A picture moment not about bunnies....Hold on to your seats... no guarantees I can get this done right...

%3Ca%20href=
SaoirseandDee.jpg
" alt="">

Saoirse and me (sorry I look like something the dog dragged in)... in da house!

%3Ca%20href=
Saoirsecheckingoutthecarrot.jpg
" alt="">

"That is my carrot?"

I told you she was little...

%3Ca%20href=
Saoirseinthehouse.jpg
" alt="">

She is just too cute...:thud::adorable:and no poop in the house - she walked in like she owned the place - has the same attitude as Mercy.

Denise

Oh, and she walked right in the house - including up a step like she owned the place. She is pretty confident considering she just left her first home yesterday.

Denise

:inlove:

nice to come back from hospital to see some cuteness. what a pretty little lady:biggrin2:

methinks somebuns are going to have their noses put out of joint (hope this hasnt been lost in translation - lol)

she is just too cute!!!!

Off to take more pictures if I can find the camera - Benn needed it for a school project... her breeder sent a video to me of her before her legs "unfolded" (once born, they have to kind of "unfold") and she was running on the grass... I will have to see if I can post it.

The buns here are still getting their bun time - no noses out of joint at the moment and I try to give everyone hands on time in addition to daily cage clean up, watering, feeding and giving handfuls of greens to everyone (the high point of the day is when the dandelion leaves come out as Roxanne and Remy and Jared go right into mega binkies and rippin' rabbit).... I need hubby to go on a fishing trip so I can have "guests" (my furkids) in the house (he would have died if he saw Saoirse getting a carrot in the kitchen)...but if anyone knocked on the door, they would think Dr. Doolittle lived here... :) I can just see Grace running to see someone at the door, Saoirse whinnying, the dogs barking and the Siamese meowing (she has a lot to say).

The indoor training makes for kinder buns and in Saoirse's case, a better adjusted therapy horse.

Denise

Another aside from the buns - had to take Bridget, my 7 year old GSP, to the vet today and they got me in quickly - she was a late spay at 2 and two of her mammary glands looked "odd"... with some black blisters that looked almost like blackheads or black blood blisters on the base and sides of the nipples - some open, some closed and some blood...after taking a sample and reading it under the slide, I have a greasy dog! They are sebaceous cysts of some type... so we have to wash her with Phisoderm in the spots where the bumps are and wash her body with Selsun Blue with the red top and she will get antibiotics as one of the glands is sore but no signs of cancer. Whew. I knew she was a greasy dog as she will rub herself on corners of door frames and my cabinets in the dog room and leave "Bridget smudge" from her coat there (cleans up with 409 real easily).

hartleybun wrote:
nice to come back from hospital to see some cuteness. what a pretty little lady:biggrin2:

methinks somebuns are going to have their noses put out of joint (hope this hasnt been lost in translation - lol)

Hope the trip to the hospital went well... I am so ready for my visit on Thursday...

I prescribe a visit to Jen's blog about Dotty - there is something about that rabbit that is very healing!:inlove:

Denise

Uploading pics of everyone... nice quiet night on the hill...be posting shortly.

Denise

Latest posts

Back