Worlds away - the Silversong Farm blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeniseJP

Reaction score
No longer am I on the quest for bunnies...the bunny god brought us to Ohio yesterday on the Checkered Giant Express.

The day started out EARLY - even for someone who shows horses. I had never been to Ohio and wondered about the state - my late friend and farrier Linda Best, who passed away a few weeks ago from pancreatic cancer, had said we should go to Columbus to show our Shetlands at the Ohio Stat Fair and now that I know where it is, and the access is easy, I will have to make the trek again in her honor, with my Shetland Nefertiti, who Linda had known since Neffie was "in the oven."

Before we get to the bunny update, let me introduce everyone here since you will hear me mention the other humans and animals that reside here.

I have been married to Tim for almost 21 years and have two boys - Andy (19) and Benjamin (almost 18). My "adopted" son Greg is actually Andy's best friend from growing up in a town called Fairport, NY... Greg lived across the street and he and Andy hung out together from ages 5 and 6 until Andy went to college. Greg lived with us for 2 years when his dad and stepmom moved away and then Greg decided to move to California. It was a rough start for him but when I talked to him on Friday, he is finally enrolled in college (he wants to be an English teacher) and he is working. When he left, it was like one of my own leaving the nest but he loved California and wants to make it there so I am glad he is still living his dreams, as hard as it may be.

Back to myplace on the hill, we have the horses: Dipper (23 year old retired Morgan show horse/broodmare), Weatherly (her 3 year old daughter), Nefertiti (3 year old Modern American Shetland Pony filly), Freedom (8 year old pinto American Miniature Horse) and Mercy (celebrity miniature show horse).

Then there is Bridget (7 year old German Shorthaired Pointer), Quinn (3 year old cement-headed but loving yellow Lab), Mrs. Whiskers (8 or 9 year old Siamese), Jeff (2 year old orange tabby DSH cat), Fern (white or pink 5 or 6 year old potbelly pig), Cider (black 4 or 5 year old potbelly pig - girl) and the assorted fish and a corn snake named Scratch (I inherited him when he was purchased for Benn as a birthday gift when he was younger and Benn decided that he was not a snake person. I wasn't either until I met Scratch.

When the boys were little, we raised and showed Holland Lops. Winslow and Torianne were our first Hollands and a number of rabbits joined us over the years. They crossed the Bridge at different times and when my last two Hollands and my Rex rabbit passed of old age, I figured I was going to be rabbitless. But, three years of empty cages and hutches did not work out and I remembered back to a time when Andy was ten and he was at a show and wanted Checkered Giants. The one breeder at the show was very discouraging: "Why do YOU want to show them? You're little and they bite, you know. They are not like your Hollands - you should stick with them." He offered to sell us a pair after talking with him but never returned our phone call and as Andy aged and we got out of rabbits, we put the thought on the back burner.

But, back in the fall of 2008, I realized something was missing in my life. I have many animals... as Tim would say "You have too many %$#%@ :censored2:animals." It was the rabbits - so I began the quest for the Checkered Giants in October of 2008, in hopes of showing at the January 2009 show in Rochester, NY. It was not meant to be. I tried the specialty club and with the help of the newsletter editor's aunt (I think that is her title), she gave me lists of breeders close to NY state. One never returned my calls or emails, despite being recommended to me. Two others did not have rabbits but wanted to get started up again. They both recommended going to Ohio as "that is where you will find the best Checkered Giants."

I joined RO in December as I was so frustrated I had to speak with anyone who understood the need to have a rabbit...Tim did not understand and Benn thinks I am a few sandwiches short of a picnic...to him, going to the mall and going makeup and clothes shopping is a much better pasttime.

I was welcomed - which I was grateful for. The RO community seemed to understand the quest. But being bunniless was torture so Axel and Juno joined my life after I went to the January 2009 rabbit show in Rochester. Sadly, no Checkered Giants were in my cages as I would have loved to show under Glen Carr, the CG judge that day.

I learned about binkies (they were not something babies put in their mouths - but in my house pacifiers were called "the sucking thing" after a baby in some movie wanted his or her "sucking thing."). I learned that rabbits like parsley and Craisins so Axel and Juno were given goodies like that, along with hay and a reduced amount of pellets from what I used to give my former Hollands.

I learned that rabbits LOVE turnout time and that it is fun to have them in the house when I am doing chores... there is nothing like watching them explore, play, binky and half-binky and some up to you to give you a good chinning.

And finally, I began speaking with a breeder in Ohio who had the Checkered Giants I was looking for. Andy decided to travel with me as I have type one diabetes and should not go anywhere without a fellow traveler as I have passed out before from hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and it is scary stuff.

We had to venture to a town outside of Cincinnati - and I had never been to Ohio before. We passed by Xenia, which was the town destroyed by the tornado outbreak in 1974. Looking at the topography of the land, it was easy to see how big storms could generate there - the land was sunny, hot, open with crops and was flat. The wheat was golden in the fields already and corn was definitely taller (but not tasseled)... the saying in NY state is "Knee high by the 4th of July" for sweet corn.

We made it to the breeder's home, chatted for about 45 minutes about rabbits and got to see his beautiful stock, then we loaded up and headed back home.

And now, drumroll...:trio the bunnies. As I mentioned, Naragon's Axel and Cy's Juno joined us first after I ventured back to a rabbit show in January and met the breeders... and did a 2 hour drive through rolling NYS farm country south of Buffalo in winter.

Watch Me Run Juliette is an English Spot that joined us in May. While showing Axel and Juno, (Axel took a 3rd of 11 and Juno a 1st of 4), this beautiful English Spot kept trying to get my attention. She was owned by a youth breeder who kindly sold her to me (I was going to get started with English Spots when I was getting the boys started but we never found a breeder and went Holland Lop instead at the suggestion of my stepsister and step mom, who were successful show-ers of Hollands, Jersey Woolies and Netherland Dwarfs).

Juliette loves to explore in the house and she loves her toys. She has attitude and as the attitude is very similar to the Checkered Giants, I thought that she would be good to work with before going to the Checkered Giants.

And, the Checkered Giant Express brought home the following new bunnies:

Andy's Baby Jared - a broken black buck with a big attitude. He is a stomper and growler as he is getting established in his new cage. He said "This is MINE!"

Remington is a broken blue Checkered Giant but his blue is so dark, it took me a minute to realize he was not black. He's a stomper, too... kind of in answer to Jared's stomp, he says, "It's also MINE!" They are brothers and littermates.

Roxanne was born in March and she is one BIG girl. She is a broken black, snuggly and curious. One of the roads near her birthplace was named Roxanne so the name seemed to fit.

We also have her younger sisters and they are littermates. They are both cuddly does and were born in April but already they are bigger than Juliette. They are both broken blacks.

Silversong Farm is located in the Bristol Hills of NY state - Finger Lakes wine country. We get wind 24/7 up here and winter that is just unbelievable but I would not trade it for the world. It is a farmette to us - almost 8 acres with a pond, a barn we built and gardens we put in. Now, with giant rabbit manure, I think we are going to have some great roses and worms for fishing.

The laundry monster still awaits... and I have work tomorrow with graduation for my seniors at school a week from today. But I have my rabbits now and when I need a break from the world, a trip to the barn for noserubs, snuggles and cuddles from the crew and nuzzles from horse noses, reminds me to slow down and take a breath as life needs to be enjoyed...my grandpa always said "Make sure you take time to smell the flowers or you are missing out on life. And don't wish your life away...you will be in the ground before you know it."

JadeIcing wrote:
I know it is only one post but I already love your blog. I am so happy you are here with us. :hugsquish:

Thank you so much... it is awesome to have welcoming friends all over the world. This is the BEST forum I belong to.:thumbup:yes:

Denise

Been updating on the forums but as almost a week as a Checkered Giant slave, I am learning more about rabbits than I ever thought imaginable.

My Hollands are cuddlers. Juliette the English Spot is tolerant of being held but Checkered Giants have their own set of rules and being cuddled (at least at my house) is not part of the picture.

I have learned to ask or contemplate why I need to stick my hand into anyone's cage now. I think about what the rabbits think about things before I act. Tim would call me mental but I am thinking self-preservation - I like where my fingers are attached to my hands. I like the skin on my hands without scratches. Roxanne and company like marking me as their own...
Roxanne: "Hey, I scratched the dumb redhead..."

Grace: "Wait, I bit her on the neck. I think that makes her mine. I win... score!"

Remy: "I climbed on her - doesn't that count?"

Jared: "Grace has a point - she at least bit the crazy redhead. She tried to cuddle me? What the heck?"

Juliette (the English Spot): "You guys are idiots. I marked her as my own - I chinned her. She's definitely mine."

Axel (Holland Lop buck): "Dumb doe... she's mine! I marked her... I SPRAYED her good. That makes her MINE. Not a doe, but she's mine! If you have any doubts, step right up. Yeah, I'll spray you too. You are all mine."

Yeah, I guess I am a rabbit slave. I would not change a thing - I love how they let me know their thoughts and let me know for as fragile a character they can be, they are also tough and opinionated. As a lady who had a tough childhood growing up - grew up in a broken home, with mom and stepdad with an unhealthy relationship full of drug and alcohol abuse and mental illness, I identify with that. You can appear fragile but can be tough as nails as you develop your identity. Sometimes you have to grab the cage door and growl. :)

Yeah, some may call me a few sandwiches short of a picnic but through rabbits coming back in my life, I am tuning my own life by degrees.

Denise

OK, pictures to introduce you to my warren...

%3Ca%20href=
P1010485.jpg
" alt=""> Roxanne is in da house, surveying the situation from her carry cage. She is a heart bunny for sure.

%3Ca%20href=
P1010447.jpg
" alt=""> My favorite picture of Remy (blue) and Jared (black). They are brothers. Jared is Andy's heart bunny.

%3Ca%20href=
P1010455.jpg
" alt=""> Calliope and Grace - they are sisters. I love their antics, even when teeth are involved.

%3Ca%20href=
P1010464.jpg
" alt=""> Juliette the English Spot (blue).

More Juliette:
%3Ca%20href=
P1010209.jpg
" alt=""> She adopted me...and I always have a hand with a treat or a pat for her. Sorry her pics are so big but she has a big personality and is larger than life here.

%3Ca%20href=
P1010005.jpg
" alt=""> My Axel, buck supreme! He is another heart bunny of mine.

%3Ca%20href=
P1010014.jpg
" alt=""> And Juno, expecting Axel's kits tomorrow. She reminds me so much of our first Holland Lop buck, Winslow, June 28th. She earned the first blue ribbon I have had in a rabbit show in YEARS.

Once again, I have an amazing rabbit family. :)

Denise

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
Great blog and I like the descriptive almost poetry feel to the way you write. I am going to enjoy your blog very much.

Although...it could do with a few pictures! (hint, hint;)).

Thank you Dave... I am listening to Roxanne scamper about the dining room... the clean runners are near me but Roxanne says sometimes you must venture outside your comfort zone, so she is exploring elsewhere. That has to become my life mantra.

I feel like my Winslow is back...or Torianne... they were my first heart bunnies. My cats Jeff and Mrs. Whiskers are trying to come to terms with their first Checkered Giant.

Juno, my expecting Holland, was happy to eat a carrot from my hand...hoping she gets the motherhood thing....

Denise

OK... everyone in the barn is fed and Roxanne is up at the house with me, but even with her runners down she is exploring... hopped on a kitchen chair... hopped behind the sofa (I am watching the cords intently)... heard something like cereal or dog food hitting the floor... nope, just Checkered Giant poop...:litterhealthy::vacuum:
swept up and put in cage...

Benn came downstairs to a flash of black and white and then Tim followed...:scared: Reminder he is not a bunny person and how do you locate and capture a 4 month old rabbit with an attitude quietly? I am hoping Roxanne doesn't suddenly appear with a thunderous binky...the whole house would shake. She walked out from under the coffee table and looked at me with a "What?" expression.

Grabbed my towel and dropped it...on Roxanne and scooped her up quickly as Tim passed by to the kitchen to close the garage door... put Roxanne back in the carry cage, darted outside with her and the dogs (they had to go out one last time), gave everyone a good night carrot - five horses, 8 rabbits, 2 pigs and the dogs and ran back inside. Tim did not see a thing. He does enjoy watching the outdoor turnout time... especially when I put out "that big jackrabbit" (aka Roxanne).

What do you mean you saw a rabbit? Not here, not now. :biggrin2::whistling:halo

Denise

And then there is life throwing you a curve ball...

Been married almost 21 years and found out this week hubby is not happy. Found out he was "going to leave when I saw you were breeding again but can't afford an apartment."

P1010507.jpg
One of Juno's kits...

In the past I would have been devastated by this but finally I am seeing the light... after almost 21 years I am tired of being married to an alcoholic who thinks I am a "retard" and "stupid." Sadly, I still love him but he is unhappy with me as I have to many "*******" animals. Yet, when "his" dog ate a plate full of brownies I canceled my plans to sail and made sure the dog was cleared of brownies and his nose stopped bleeding from dragging the broken dish to his kennel...animals are my life.

The simple act of watching Roxanne do "ripping rabbit" as she does her binkies, and watching Juno's well marked kit do his half binkies (and his ears are dropped at three weeks of age) who I think is a buck and have named Stinger as he has a marking on his butt that looks like a stinger was enough to let me know there is another life out there. My bunnies and horses give me a reason to get up in the morning.

Whatever life tosses at me this time I am ready... I got chinned by Roxanne and Juliette, which lets me know they are standing beside me.

Denise

I am sorry your marraige is going bad but when things are that bad sometimes you have to say goodbye to say hello to yourself again. There is a healing to be had here.... I wish you the best and will keep you in my prayers. If you ever need someone I am a PM away.

you are not 'stupid' nor 'retarded' you are a strong wonderful person who takes what the deck deals and plays it to the best of their ability. when the going gets tough you get going.

was half listening to our news yesterday and heard a bit on how people from my background always ended up in prison, addicted or dead. not me! i did reach a low point many years ago when ending it all seemed to be the only option. luckily i wasnt going to give the :censored2:the satisfaction of winning. i'll be damned if im going to be another statistic.

look back at all the bad times and remember that you got thru them. i do. guess im too bloody minded to do otherwise.

hugs to you!

Oh Denise, I'm sorry that you are going through this, but I agree with Donna - you seem like a strong person and your animals are so lucky to have you.

I guess you have to look at it as a new chapter about to begin in your life - and we are here whenever you need us

:hug: Jan

Yeah, I am strong. :) For the first time in my life I am OK with whatever life wants to throw at me. Gotta wonder if that is maturity speaking?!

Thank you all for your support. I have also had chronic depression (medicated) and I have to say that the animals give me a reason to get up in the morning and give me a reason to be. They are my strength - even when Weatherly cannot contain herself and decides rearing, squealing and maybe chasing Nefertiti is too much fun... even if I fall off in the meantime. Weatherly realized what she did and was seemingly sorry about it but I do not fault her - she is a youngster and we are growing together.

Getting chinned by Roxanne was a major, major breakthrough in my learning the language of Checkered Giants. For what I had to go through to find some wonderful rabbits was so worth it. Jared and Remy dance and binky when they see me, and while they are still a little standoffish when I have to put them in their carrier so that I can clean their cage thoroughly, they keep coming back to get noserubs and to be patted.

Grace and Calliope are the other binky girls... and they are allowing me to cuddle them (briefly) before they want down and back to their cage. They snuggle with each other and I like seeing them bonded to each other.

I am hoping Remy and Jared can continue to be together for a bit longer - since they are unneutered show rabbits, I am watching them for buck behavior that would warrant them being separated but they seem to be behaving for the moment.

And Roxanne is a lap bunny now - she has not nipped at me or growled at me when I have come to her cage door to let her have out time or to bring in food. She is constantly investigating me when she is loose and those explosive, big binkies just make me smile. Too bad hubby doesn't understand the love of animals - he does not even understand his dog the way I do. Due to my own sensitive nature I am very in tune with animals and my grandfather often commented on how animals loved me and wanted to be near me.

My Hollands are pretty friendly - the kits always come up to the cage door and are like "Pet us! What do you have for us to eat?" Juno is pretty proud of her brood, too. They will be a month old on the 28th and are still nursing on and off (they are a hoot to watch as they crawl under Juno and their little legs are all splayed out). Axel did well siring this group of kits - Stinger has his ears down already and the other two are working on it. After watching Axel's daughter clean up at the Canandaigua show, I am excited to get Axel and Juno's kits on the table when they are ready.

And Juliette the lone English Spot is very sweet - she has decided spraying me ensures that she is mine (not that I agree with her method of affection and she is a doe... I keep checking for those boy "berries" but there are none). She has a toy plush red pepper that she loves to play with and she likes ringing the bells in her cage. She is also the master chinner - if I am feeling blue I stick a hand in her cage and can be sure I will be chinned.

Denise

CKGS wrote:
I am sorry your marraige is going bad but when things are that bad sometimes you have to say goodbye to say hello to yourself again. There is a healing to be had here.... I wish you the best and will keep you in my prayers. If you ever need someone I am a PM away.

Excellent quote. Somewhere in all this I lost who I was. The fun will be finding out where I have I been and how I have grown.

Denise

Latest posts

Back