Worlds away - the Silversong Farm blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(((Denise))) I found this saying to be so true when I and my ex husband split. It was hard and truly an emotional roller coaster but in the end- I found me! This was as great a gift he could have ever given me. Now I am with someone who is supportive and loves my children, even the 3 that aren't his. Thank god for my first marraige! I wouldn't have my oldest 2 children and I wouldn't be able to appreciate what I have now if he hadn't been in my life. For that I am thankful to him.

Thank you Janet and Donna... group hug...:hug1:group:

I have some time to myself this morning after a wonderful night alone with Roxanne... I brought her into the house and she had a blast doing her exploring, being a lap bun and then curling up to relax for the evening. I even heard some very contented tooth purring - what a great noise!

She had quite a day... I came home from work (hubby and oldest son were going rafting and will be home tonight) and I went out to play with Jared and Remy first and all of a sudden Roxanne appeared, loose, from under the cage to come and see me. After a momentary heart attack, I picked her up (with no growling or scratching from my wayward Checkered Giant!) and went into the barn to find that Fern and Cider (the pigs) had a field day - they pushed the panel gates out, got loose into the rabbit area and let Roxanne out of her cage so they could see if she had food in there (woohoo!) and then almost knocked my tower of cages over but once they pried Axel's hopper off his cage, and ate all the feed out of it (he likes to pick and nibble at his pellets - he prefers hay and fresh grass and greens), they were on to other adventures involving a bag of alfalfa pellets and then retreated to their pen for a fat and happy nap.

Good thing Roxanne and I spent time bonding and she felt safe coming up to me! I have no idea what she did during a few hours of freedom but I was glad to see she wanted to see me.

On my home front, as my depression is spiraling to new lows thanks to a lack of sun this summer (I have had seasonal and clinical depression for years and am on medication for it), I am seeing two different counselors to make sure I am headed in the right direction for me AND to make sure the meds I am on are the right ones. Will be pricing sunlamps this weekend as I need one for my desk at work - I am in a cubicle with no windows (the one part of my job that I hate).

As I sail, my boss had given me a framed plaque when I started that said a skilled sailor never learns to sail well on calm seas, or something similar to that.

Hubby is backpedaling a bit as he realized his displeasure set me into a tailspin but as I said, "If you don't like the conditions of the house, put down the beer, grab a paint brush, broom or whatever and get to work as I cannot do it alone."

Amen!

Denise

:highfive:you go girl! you've laid it on the line!

glad to read that you're bonding with her royal bunness roxanne. as long as she doesnt do what roxy did when hartleybun was on hutch rest post neuter. came down in the morning to find the both of them chilling out on the bunnery floor as she'd opened his hutch. it's one of those with a 'dial' that you turn to 6 o'clock to open the door. we found some bunny teethmarks on it when we looked. mind you she had form - when they were bonding we were surprised to see both of them in the garden when roxy was supposed to be inside. a small roxy-shaped hole was found nibbled in the corner of the bunnery door. there's something about these lady buns:)

keep positive and keep posting:brownbunny

Oh No!!!! The pigs are in cahoots with the bunnies :shock:. Nothing will be safe ;)

Sounds like Roxanne is becoming more of a snuggle bun :)

Hope your meds are doing the trick. I would hate to work in a cubicle - I like to see what's going on outside (OK, I'm nosey :p)

Jan

hartleybun wrote:
im with jan - luvabun - you know where we are = only a pm away and just like our bunnies our ears are always open:D

:yeahthat:

I am sorry to hear about your marriage. You can count on me too.I can relate to some of what your going through (not the unhappy hubby part;))but depression etc. Feel free to pm anytime, to vent or whatever.

Pigs and rabbits together! I tell you its all part of the bunny's evil plot to take over the world!:)

Dave

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
I tell you its all part of the bunny's evil plot to take over the world!:)

Dave
so that's why every time i put my head round the bunnery door, roxy and hartleybun immediately stop what they're doing and act innocent:ph34r2

hartleybun wrote:
Wabbitdad12 wrote:
I tell you its all part of the bunny's evil plot to take over the world!:)

Dave
so that's why every time i put my head round the bunnery door, roxy and hartleybun immediately stop what they're doing and act innocent:ph34r2

Exactly!;)

How's it going Denise?

Thanks guys... I am back after surgery last Thursday... even in a full cast from hand to mid humerus bone I can still feed and clean buns and muck the turnout stall... met with a counselor yesterday and she gave me an assignment to figure out what makes me happy. She asked me what I do for fun and I really didn't have an answer...I race sailboats and love that but the cast is a hindrance right now and the captain can't wait to get me back... and my rabbits and horses I do love...

But I am here alone... sons had plans and hubby was supposed to be home but he had "something" to do... so here I am. We have our "family" vacation coming up but I am making plans to spend time with my mom and brother, then with a good friend of mine who I am writing a book with (research has us sailing Tuesday the 18th on a historically significant yacht), and hubby has made no plans for time with me so I will continue to make my plans to enjoy my time down there. Life is too short to wait for good things to come to me... I am going to play cards and sit by the pool as I try to find whatever that answer is regarding my happiness. It is a pretty profound question for me.

The numbness I feel is broken by interludes of Weatherly squealing and ripping through the dirt as she kicks her heels up, baby barn swallows ready to fledge as they look over the edge of the nest (in Weatherly's stall) and peer down at the world below...Mercy grabbing her feed pan and hucking it at me...and Juno's kits scrambling to get the fresh grasses I bring them.

Roxanne, Juliette and Calliope have taken on chinning me like it's their business...Jared and Remy chase and play with each other then lie next to each other to pant and catch their breath before doing it again...and Grace has decided to have an attitude - she pinned those big ears back and chomped on my hand when I reached in to clean the cage (gotta remember NOT to break Checkered Giant rule#1 - no hands in the cage if we are in the cage).

Roxanne does half-binkies when she sees me coming. That is good for me to see... that in a world crumbling about me, there is still a lot of love coming from the barn and RO.

You guys rock!

Denise

it's a sort of link to your other post but i've gotten this mental pic of you playing bun-tac-toe with real buns....by a pool or on a yacht. our pets definitely make us feel better.

:bunnyhug:donna

Actually we were in the living room here but the game is going with me to RI...my sister lives near there with her hubby and my nieces. The younger one has allergies so I am hoping she gets over it as it would be fun to show buns with them.

I have allergies and asthma but those be "damned"...I am keeping my rabbits and horses. :)

Roxanne loves the super duper cage I built for her - 4 x 4 foot square with a high ceiling so she can jump and play. I need to make three more so Remy and Jared can be bucks on their own... and Calliope and Grace can have more running room. They are still behaving themselves in the 4 x 2 1/2 foot cage but I want them to have more room.

The baby barn swallows left the nest this morning - they were having a blast flying and swooping with their parents... what a wonderful view of freedom personified. They are still swooping near the barn and they swoop and play near me... hope they return next year to raise their own nests of babies....

Oops, two babies (the swallows) came back last night to sleep. :)

Rain today so maybe more came back...

Denise

Severe thunderstorm warning here this evening... but the breeze blowing in through the windows is nice.

Today was cage cleaning day for me... time spent with each bunny and with my right arm in a cast, it makes for slow and deliberate action. Luckily, the Checkered Giants tolerated being moved so I could clean cages without breaking their rules. Dandelion leaves helped.

The baby barn swallows left again this morning... here at 11:17PM EST I am going out to make sure Freedom is letting the other horses into the run-in at the barn... for a mini she has a BIG attitude. I can check to see if the babies feel safe inside or whether they feel safe outside... such a part of growing up.

Denise

Baby swallows swoop by but do not need the nest as of today.

Farrier came today and he was pleased with Weatherly's progress tendon-wise. I had to leave work for a bit to make the appointment and had five horses lined up like jets at O'Hare waiting for their turn. Everyone was well-behaved and ladylike...I was not ladylike - climbing through a hole in the wall to avoid getting zapped by the electric fence... while wearing a dress and heels. I managed not to get any mud on me and no one suspected my brief interlude during my lunch hour involved my horses. Weatherly kept nudging me as I held her barnmates... she wanted to make sure she knew what was going on.

And, since this is a bun blog, my bunnies were very happy to see me mid-day during the week. Juno's kits cannot get enough pulled grass (fescue and timothy) and they remain free of young Holland poopy-butt. They are the snuggliest bunch of boys destined to make their show debut this fall.

I named them Stinger (he has a pointy marking like a stinger on his butt), Radar (he has a radar ear up like his mom Juno) and Splash (he just has a splash of color on him). They are cleaning up food, providing lots of kisses and love attention.

Juliette (the English Spot) continues to make sure she chins me daily and is another cuddle bun.

For the most part, with the hot weather we now have, everyone is stretching out and staying cool.

Denise

I love baby swallows - when they are really young they are all mouth and no body :D

I have wonderful visions of you all dressed up, climbing through the wall trying not to get dirty - my luck would be to stand in something kind of nasty and very smelly :p

"
The numbness I feel is broken by interludes of Weatherly squealing and ripping through the dirt as she kicks her heels up, baby barn swallows ready to fledge as they look over the edge of the nest (in Weatherly's stall) and peer down at the world below...Mercy grabbing her feed pan and hucking it at me...and Juno's kits scrambling to get the fresh grasses I bring them.

Roxanne, Juliette and Calliope have taken on chinning me like it's their business...Jared and Remy chase and play with each other then lie next to each other to pant and catch their breath before doing it again...and Grace has decided to have an attitude - she pinned those big ears back and chomped on my hand when I reached in to clean the cage (gotta remember NOT to break Checkered Giant rule#1 - no hands in the cage if we are in the cage).

Roxanne does half-binkies when she sees me coming. That is good for me to see... that in a world crumbling about me, there is still a lot of love coming from the barn and RO."

I love the way you wrote this - such a positive way of seeing things when life s**ks. Good for you :hug:

Jan

Update - back from a relaxing vacation in Rhode Island...settled back into the work routine as summer comes to an end and teachers are back... hubby and I are working through some things - it seems the house we live in has been a bone of contention for us both - we got along and could manuever easily in the rented house near the beach as it was laid out better than our current place on the hill... so I said sell it! He found a new place with more acreage and a barn (ah, so he is thinking horses and rabbits come along as well as they are family) and he is thinking about what we have to do to make it happen. Lots of stuff to do like painting and repairs that have been sitting waiting to be done but it looks like we have a game plan, together. After 21 years, I am glad we are working through it. Even if it doesn't work, I am OK with that as well... sometimes when life gives you lemons, it is OK to make lemonade or even better, a lemon meringue pie. :)

Have to get new cages for the three boys Radar, Splash and Stinger - they are getting big and need to grow into their ears...these are Juno and Axel's kits. No doubt about it, these are all bucks! Splash has just a splash of color - Radar has a Junoesque "up ear" and Stinger has a pointy marking on his butt like a stinger (although it has softened as he grew).

Juliette figured out if she removed her hopper feeder, she could squeeze out of the opening to freedom... I found her chatting with Axel through the wire of his cage. Scooped Miss Juliette back up and put her away and secured her hopper feeder.

Roxanne, Jared and Remy are the binky trio - they have all sorts of methods of "rippin' rabbit" and make me laugh. Calliope and Grace are well, too - although Grace would like a bigger cage similar to what Roxanne and the boys have... she tried to leap out when I was cleaning today. No more nips from her - she tried to bite my half-cast and was not happy her teeth found a hard surface rather than the one that makes me yelp and bleed. She is coming up for nose rubs but does not yet have the patience that Roxanne has.

I have to look to see when our show dates are - trying to coordinate that with a sailboat race in Rhode Island I need to go to for the research on a book I am writing...this project has been full of good occurrences and unhappiness at the same time but I will be glad when it is done as it is a historically significant project for New England and yachting history.

After almost a month of healing, I jumped on Dipper bareback and she was a lady, even when her daughter Weatherly was naughty (squealing, leaping in place and taking off to try to get Dipper riled up - luckily for me it did not work).

Weatherly's injury from the springtime has healed- I feel a little bump where the tendon was injured but to look at it, you'd never know she hurt herself.

Mercy and Freedom (the minis) are sporting winter coats already - the forecast is for a cold and snowy winter so I think they are getting ready. Nefertiti the Shetland is starting her winter coat now, too.

Juno is molting right now so she is getting some time under the slicker brush to help her shed out.

Nothing like animals to refocus one's direction in life.

I owe you pics of the baby Hollands - I am not at home right now but will try to remember to get some new photos tomorrow and actually post them!

Denise

I like this

sometimes when life gives you lemons, it is OK to make lemonade or even better, a lemon meringue pie

Glad to hear that things seem to be looking up :). I think your positive outlook has a lot to do with it. Fingers crossed for you that things continue to go well :). All the furries sound happy enough, too :)

Jan

Latest posts

Back