WHAT DID YOU HAVE FOR DINNER!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SnowyShiloh wrote:
Beth, maybe you should toss the bottle of teriyaki sauce yourself and buy a different brand? I love teriyaki too but Jason's sounds pretty lackluster. Also, I use tofu for all stir fries, teriyaki, fried rice, etc. We really like tofu. I have to admit that I usually cut it into bigger cubes like Jason does, but I always make plenty of sauce so it has lots of flavor and we enjoy the flavor and texture of tofu so big pieces are good. Maybe it's because I only buy the refrigerated Azumaya brand, from what I've heard it's one of the better quality tofus you can buy in the US.
Yeah, I might have to toss the stuff myself. I think he's just making it wrong. I believe he used to mix the bottled stuff with water and sugar, then simmer until thickened. Now, I've seen him just pour the bottled stuff right into the pan, and barely heat it. I know he's doing it differently, but he insists he's making it the same way as before. I may try the Azumaya tofu, and see if he likes it better. I usually buy the MoriNu brand, in the little carton. I really like the smoothness of that one, and it's really inexpensive at Whole Foods.

Tonight was "Taco Bell Friday." My menu choices are limited now, but I had the 7 Layer Burrito, minus sour cream. The taco bell sour cream has gelatin in it, so I added my own at home. (Daisy brand sour cream is soooooo good! I could eat it out of the carton straight!)

Beth, we used to buy fat free sour cream, but I compared the ingredients to those of Daisy sour cream and there's a huge difference. Fat free sour cream has like 20 ingredients and Daisy is only sour cream. I decided it may be healthier to eat the higher fat stuff without weird ingredients so now we buy Daisy. You're right, it is really good, and really thick!

We like Azumaya better than Mori-Nu. Azumaya is only about $1.50 for a pound here in Alaska. It has more flavor and better texture than Mori-Nu. Last time I bought Mori-Nu, I got the extra firm variety and it completely broke apart into little bitty bits in my lo mein recipe. You couldn't even tell it was there!

I do have to be gentle with the Mori-Nu tofu to keep it from breaking apart. I do mainly use it in Mabo Tofu, so it's ok if it breaks apart. Jason will probably prefer the firmer brand, I'll pick some up next grocery trip.

I often choose a higher fat version of things, if they have fewer overall ingredients, and especially if there's not so many chemicals (or none at all). I make my own yogurt, because the more affordable store brands have so many unnecessary additives. I make it with whole milk, too. Yummy!

I like making yogurt too! I don't do it all the time- I kind of go through phases of making it for a while and buying it for a while, but I eat yogurt just about every day.

The chicken and dumplings turned out wonderfully. We just love them. I made the recipe up myself after making many other recipes and am pleased that it's so good.

Paul's parents are coming up next week and I should have made the chicken and dumplings the since they aren't very adventurous eaters and really like chicken and dumplings, but oh well. Now I'm trying to think of something to cook for them! Any ideas for not very unusual (so nothing Asian or Indian or Greek), not spicy recipes?

I'm planning on making this for breakfast one morning when they're here: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/German-Baby/Detail.aspx and serving it with sauteed apples, powdered sugar, lemon juice, maple syrup and boysenberry syrup so they can pick what they want to go on top.

nqnxwl.jpg

Another Banquet last night, celebrating China's 60th Anniversary.

Tonight a Gala "Supporting Our Military" and a concert with Blue Rodeo.

Tomorrow invited to a BBQ.

Do I have a life? :p

(((((stan))))) looks a nice banquet. the wine that is on your table is one that we buy from our (well stocked) village shop. it's a small world!

Paul and I went to a potluck this evening. I didn't know about it until we were at the grocery store last night so I got ingredients for recipes I know! The theme was comfort food. I made a 9 by 13 inch pan of apple crisp. I thought we'd have a lot left to take home, especially considering other people brought 2 kinds of brownies and a LOT of cheesecake. There wee only about 8-10 people there, but my apple crisp got all eaten and everyone said they really liked it. If anyone wants the recipe, it was 7 large chopped up apples (I used Gala, Granny Smith and Golden Delicious) mixed with 3/4 cup maple syrup, 3 tablespoons flour and a bit of cinnamon, the sprinkled with 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup flour, 1 cup oats, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 cup butter and then baked at 375 for about 35 minutes. Next time I'm going to try using cornstarch for the filling and less maple syrup. The recipe actually called for 1 1/3 cups maple syrup so I used half a cup less, but I think it would be fine with even less. Also it didn't taste like it was drenched in syrup, it just tasted great :)

I also made Paul's favorite childhood dish for the potluck. Boiled egg noodles then fried in butter with lots of shrimp, salt, onion, parsley and garlic. Paul's mom always served tartar sauce with it so I made some of that too. I'd never made the noodles before and they were quite good, but it's hard not to like something with noodles and lots of butter!

Next month's potluck theme is Halloween (of course!) and I'm already trying to think what to make! I love potlucks because aside from being fun, I get to cook things I don't usually make :eek:)

Last night, we got Chinese take out. I had shrimp and broccoli; had the leftover for lunch today.

Tonight I finally had my avocado-and-Baconnaise sandwich, on Pepperidge Farms German Dark Wheat bread. Salad on the side, mixed baby greens with grape tomatoes.

We had roasted chicken last night with potatoes, corn on the cob, steamed garden carrots and a garden salad(lettuce, cukes, tomatoes w/ ranch)

Tonight I was supposed to make chicken soup from the chicken but I'm not feeling good, so I just had rye toast and everyone else had leftovers.

Aaah I haven't replied in this thread for ages!

I've not really been cooking anything exciting- random things seem to keep making me very ill at the moment so I've been scared to eat too much other than random salads- really good quality tomatoes sliced up with red onion and olive oil, salt and pepper and red wine vinegar seems to be agreeing with me at the moment, and it's sooo addictive! Either that or plain boiled white rice :(

Saying that, we did go to Gourmet Burger Kitchen on Friday evening and have a yummy burger- which didn't make me ill- hurrah!

I might try a couple of new recipes this week while Steve is away in London and I'm bored..

Tonight I made spaghetti squash with homemade spaghetti sauce over it. Also some leftover mexican brown rice, a few sauted mushrooms and a half a leftover pork chop. The spaghetti squash was really good but i over cooked it a bit as it was a bit too mushy, I like it crunchier.

Half a "baked" potato, with sour cream and Bacon Salt. Kale, sliced and sauteed in olive oil with garlic. And a chik'n patty.

I haven't been able to reply in a while and I'm sorry to all whom asked me about recipes - I will catch up. We got 6 bushels of apples from one tree so I've been making cider to freeze, and apple sauce, apple butter, and jelly like crazy and I'm not even close to being done. I've been up till midnight trying to catch up - and after I've got a bunch of Hubbards, pumpkins, and other squash to cook up for freezing. It never ends.

We are having cottage pie with Guinness tonight - one of Gordon Ramsay's recipes. I just feel like comfort food and this is what says to comfort to me right now. Come to think of it, I've been craving a lot of comfort food, must be the time of year.

Will have to catch up with the thread and with any requests I've recieved and not answered yet.

We went out for Cajun food. We didn't get there until a bit late (7pm), so it was really busy.

I had crawfish ettouffe. Unfortunately, it was not as good as normal. The crawfish didn't taste fresh (it wasn't bad, just not as fresh as normal), and it tasted as though the roux wasn't cooked long enough. (It tasted a bit flour-y, and the green onions tasted of wine.) It wasn't terrible, just not as good as it should have been.

Jason had blackened catfish, with cheesy grits, coleslaw, and dirty rice.

We also had deep fried pickles and sweet corn hushpuppies with spicy sauce to start.

I think that, in the future, we will stick to going there at lunch, or make sure to get there before the dinner rush starts. The food there is usually excellent.

Back