WHAT DID YOU HAVE FOR DINNER!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mmm spaghetti! I like the meatball smiley face. Did you make the sauce and meatballs yourself?

I'm trying to use up some of the food from the pantry, so we shared a can of beef stew that we've had for about 2 1/2 years, a little leftover rice and steamed broccoli. We buy broccoli in 3 pound bags so whenever we buy it, we have it for dinner several nights in a row!

We had hamburgers tonight with french fries. I also made a big pot of Borscht this afternoon since we still have tons of beets to use up. So we had that as an appetizer.

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Mmm spaghetti! I like the meatball smiley face. Did you make the sauce and meatballs yourself?

Actually the smiley face wasn't planned, but when I tuned the plate around... there it was!!:biggrin2:

We make our own meatballs and use Prego sauce.

I LOVE spaghetti and meatballs....good comfort food!

I am having a large Quiznos Beef & Cheddar sub right now. I was too hungry to wait for lunch.

Tonight I will be at another Banquet with the Lieutenant Governor Norman Kwong in attendance. There will be about 400 people there.

I had Swedish meatballs and noodles (Nutrisystem dinner meal). It's one of my faves on NS but to be honest I think there was 1.5 meatballs in there.
Nothing like your Italian meatballs, Jim :(

Jason wanted Chinese food, and it's his birthday today, so I took him to the nicest Chinese place in town. We usually only go there for dim sum, but this time we ordered off the menu!
We started with vegetable spring rolls, and some crispy zucchini (very lightly battered and fried, with a soy-ginger-garlic dipping sauce). I had Singapore rice noodles with shrimp.

We got boba tea to go, I had honeydew.

Yesterday my cousin and grandpa came over for sunday supper so we made a big ham, mashed potatoes(out of purple potatoes,lol), carrots and salad. Ham is one of my favorites. Salty goodness :)

So today I made split pea soup for supper out of the ham bone. It was equally as yummy. I made a huge pot full so we are going to be eating it for the rest of the week.

I"m also doing more canning tonight. Pickled cukes and carrots are what we are doing tonight. I think I have enough for maybe 8-10 jars.

God I love pickles!!!!

I sliced at sauteed 3 leaves of kale, and had it with a veggie burger (Morningstar Farms Mushroom Lovers), and some Rice-a-Roni.
Jason had a veggie burger (regular flavor), rice, and a salad instead of the kale.

Dessert was a scoop of Haagen Dazs Five, mint flavor.

Beef Sukiyaki! Slices of beef, nappa cabbage, noodle soup base from the store, cubed broiled tofu, yam noodle, udon. MM!

We had roasted mushrooms, zucchini and asparagus with steamed rice and the most amazing sauce ever! It was about 2 tablespoons butter, browned in a tiny pan, then about 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, 2 teaspoons soy sauce and 2 tablespoons light margarine. It was so good!

Yesterday was me and Jason's first anniversary, so we went out to somewhere nicer than we normally go.
We went to Bristol, a seafood place. We started with a goat cheese bruschetta. Then I had Lobster Ravioli, which were in a creamy tomato sauce with lots of basil and toasted pine nuts over the whole thing.

I stole a little taste of Jason's dessert, Grand Marnier chocolate mousse, which was SO rich I could only eat one spoon of it. (He had no problem finishing the rest of it!)

Today was husbun's bday.

I made him Wagyu steak (it's like Kobe beef), string beans and baby spinach salad with portabello mushroom. Yum!

Tonight Paul had leftover tuna casserole (he made the casserole a few days ago- he cooks about once a year and this was contribution until next year!) and I had a leftover half can of vegetarian chili and a small quesadilla. Fancy shmancy, eh?

Jackie, I love pea soup! I'm going to buy ingredients to make some in the crock pot next week. It's been below freezing here the past couple days and 8 months of snow is just around the corner. Might as well embrace it by making my favorite winter soup.

What do you put in your split pea soup? I've had it with ham but prefer mine without. When I was vegan, I actually had split pea soup for Thanksgiving and Christmas every year. I don't really have a recipe since it's so easy, just split peas, water (or chicken broth now that I eat meat again), potatoes, carrots, salt, pepper, and maybe rosemary and bay leaves. Maybe onion and garlic too. It's very flexible.

Mmmmmm. I love split pea soup! Working towards being vegetarian, so no more ham in it for me.
Since my husband won't go near split pea soup (or anything with peas in it), I make more lentil soup now. I recently made a version that tasted a lot like chili. Sauteed finely chopped carrots, celery, and onion until soft with garlic in a bit of olive oil. Added veggie broth and some dry green lentils, along with a can of diced tomatoes, with the juice from the tomatoes. Simmered until lentils were soft. The tomatoes and such really gave it a chili flavor.

Anyway.

I had to run a bunch of errands tonight, and was looking forward to an avocado and baconnaise sandwich. However, when I got home, Jason had made what he called "teriyaki." It was sauteed tofu chunks with carrots and cabbage. This is the second time he's made "teriyaki" that not only had no sauce, so the rice under it ended up dry, but it was very very very salty. It's almost like he just stirred some soy sauce into the cooked veggies. He used to make really yummy teriyaki, that had a delicious slightly-sweet, thick sauce, like, well, teriyaki. He claims he's cooking it exactly the same way as before, but I can attest that it is not the same. And also not appetizing. (Also, he used the really old carrots in the bottom of the fridge that I've been meaning to toss on the compost, and they were a bit bitter.)
I would have preferred the sandwich.

Beth, that teriyaki doesn't sound so good. Maybe you should watch him make it sometime in case he's substituting some ingredient. Does he have the recipe written down? Also, what is baconnaise? Bacon in mayo in a jar?

We had cheese ravioli with a bit of pesto sauce, and chicken sauteed with Montreal Chicken Seasoning. We'd never tried that seasoning before but it's really good. Also, whole chickens were on sale at the grocery store for 77 cents a pound, so I bought the biggest one they had, boiled it, and picked apart the meat. I'm going to make chicken and dumplings with some of the meat and the chicken stock from cooking it tomorrow night. We love chicken and dumplings but I only make it twice a year or so.

Baconnaise is a sort of mayo-bacon flavored spread. It's made by the people who make Bacon Salt, which I absolutely love. More info: http://www.jdfoods.net/products/baconnaise.php

Bacon Salt is vegan, Baconnaise is vegetarian, so I'll probably be using a lot of it once I stop eating meat! I like to sprinkle Bacon Salt on plain rice, or salad, or mashed potatoes. I like Baconnaise on any sandwich that would taste good with bacon on it. So much easier!!

Yeah, the teriyaki stuff was not good at all. I only ate it because he seemed so proud that he'd cooked me dinner. (Though he'd already eaten by the time I got home, and the food had to be reheated. Also, he still didn't wash the dishes. :X) He claims there must be something wrong witht the bottle of teriyaki sauce, but if that were true, I'm not sure why he hasn't thrown it out and gotten a new bottle. It's not that expensive!

Jason also has an annoying habit of cutting his tofu into giant cubes, he gets maybe 16 or 18 pieces per block. Then, he complains about the tofu's texture and bland flavor.

When I put tofu into something, I cut into very small pieces, maybe 1/2" cubes. Which reduces the texture problem (though I like the squishy texture), and gives more surface area for a sauce to coat.

Jason is, apparantly, unable to connect the facts that he likes the tofu when I make it in small cubes, but doesn't like it when he makes it in large cubes, and adjust his methods accordingly. Or, he might be doing it on purpose as a complaint about eating tofu. Also, when he makes curries or something, there's very little in the way of sauce, so there's not much to flavor the rice, and the whole dish turns out a bit bland. I know he's trying to help, but his cooking is awful and I kinda wish he'd just not do it. He also asks my opinion when he cooks, the acts hurt if I don't really like it. I always want an honest opinion when *I* make something, and don't mind hearing if it's not that good, so I refuse to lie and say I like somthing that's not good.

Beth, maybe you should toss the bottle of teriyaki sauce yourself and buy a different brand? I love teriyaki too but Jason's sounds pretty lackluster. Also, I use tofu for all stir fries, teriyaki, fried rice, etc. We really like tofu. I have to admit that I usually cut it into bigger cubes like Jason does, but I always make plenty of sauce so it has lots of flavor and we enjoy the flavor and texture of tofu so big pieces are good. Maybe it's because I only buy the refrigerated Azumaya brand, from what I've heard it's one of the better quality tofus you can buy in the US.

I made an oven pancake recipe that I've been wanting to try for months this morning since I had the day off and all the ingredients! This recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Maple-Bacon-Pancake/Detail.aspx

I have to say that Maple Bacon Pancake is now one of my favorite breakfasts. Or dinners. Or for any time a great big pancake is appropriate. I had to use shredded Mexican style cheese (a blend of cheddar, monterey jack and a couple others) so I put the cheese on top rather than inside since it's really mild cheese, and I made my own baking mix since I don't ever buy Bisquick or whatever. I also added about 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil because there wouldn't be any fat from the cheese in the batter. I tweak pretty much every recipe I make!

Anyway, it turned out soooo good. I'm still thinking about it. The pancake itself had great flavor. It would have been great by itself with a little more syrup on top, but the cheese and bacon made it even better. I have about 3/4 of it in the fridge still so we'll see how it tastes as leftovers! I hope Paul likes it since I'm going to be making it on a regular basis now!

Latest posts

Back