Wet Brown Chin

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZeepWon

Reaction score
My rabbit YangYang has a brown wet spot on her chin. I noticed it yesterday night (10/12) and thought it was dry this morning but when I got back from class it was worse. The two pictures I added are from today (10/13). I am a fist time bunny owner and don’t know what to do. I’m trying to get her a vet appointment ASAP but most vets around me are backed up and I wanna know if there is anything I can do to help her in the meantime.

Attachments

• D779D55A-F2FB-48EF-AE71-C19047A53182.jpeg
    D779D55A-F2FB-48EF-AE71-C19047A53182.jpeg
    155.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 0F418AB9-D2AD-48ED-81FD-E440E8EE773D.jpeg
    0F418AB9-D2AD-48ED-81FD-E440E8EE773D.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 4
Some more information that seems important. YangYang has been eating, drinking, and pooping normally. She doesn’t seem to mind the wet patch at all. She still seems to lover her chin and cheek scratches, even on the brown spot, so I can only assume it doesn’t hurt her. I’m just worried that it might be a bigger problem then little YangYang is letting on.

It looks like the chin being wet, is likely due to drooling from a dental problem, or possibly something stuck in the teeth. The green is either food residue or moist dermatitis causing green fur syndrome. You'll want to make sure your rabbit is seen by an experienced rabbit vet.

In the meantime, just make sure she continues to eat, drink, and poop normally. As long as she is, she should be fine until you can get her seen by a vet soon. Though do be aware, if you have warmer temps and/or flies are still out where you're at, wet fur can attract flies to lay eggs, which can pose a risk of flystrike occurring, which is often fatal to rabbits. So keep a close eye out for any flies buzzing around your place, and get rid of them immediately. And check the damp spot thoroughly several times a day, for any sign of fly eggs in the fur.

Medirabbit: moist dermatitis

Medirabbit: drooling in rabbits

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/dental.html
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Thank you for the advice!! I was able to get her in to see the vet and she all good! The vet said that it seems like she just got into something and got messy and was trying to clean herself off. The vet ended up shaving part the dirty fur off. YangYangs skin is a bit inflamed and has a small infection so she’s on some antibiotics and painkillers for the next week or two.

I added a picture of YangYangs new hair do~

Attachments

• 07B0299A-3F08-4AA9-BA92-A0153FE328E3.jpeg
    07B0299A-3F08-4AA9-BA92-A0153FE328E3.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 1
Looks to me lik a dental issue I would take her to the vet as soon as possible.

Latest posts

Back