Update: Wiggles' Surgery

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you everyone.

I just went to pick her up and I asked a million questions. It was an extremely severe infection of the uterus. The vet was quite shocked by it. He said the swelling was quite impressive. We did good to have her spayed. She's been on IV's and now she is on Baytril that I need to give her every morning for 10 days. In 10 days we go back for her stitches.

One thing that bugs me more is that she has no pain meds at all. :(I asked but he said he felt it was too risky. I sure hope she won't be in too much pain :(Also, I asked if I could give her more pedialyte and he thought it was a very good idea and gave me an envelope of electramine. I want to make sure I have everything on hand for this weekend in case of an emergency since the vet is closed til Monday.

Is there anything else I should have on me? Right now she is shaking quite a bit soI am gonna wrap her in her polar blanket and just hold her. She was definitely happy to see me.

I felt so bad though because I got a :soapboxtaxi driver and he drove like a freaking madman :tantrum:He told me he wouldn't keep a pretty girl like me waiting. I told him him that this pretty girl much preferred a man who would treat her and her bunny properly! :bangheadThen he went on to say how he was looking for a mistress who would treat him just like I treat my bunny. HA. Told him I had my hands full with my 3 and my man. What a moron! :nonono:

MsBinky wrote:
I felt so bad though because I got a :soapboxtaxi driver and he drove like a freaking madman :tantrum:He told me he wouldn't keep a pretty girl like me waiting. I told him him that this pretty girl much preferred a man who would treat her and her bunny properly! :bangheadThen he went on to say how he was looking for a mistress who would treat him just like I treat my bunny. HA. Told him I had my hands full with my 3 and my man. What a moron! :nonono:
I may drive there and beat him. :grumpy:

Lol I woulda but I just wanted to get Wiggles home. She is sleeping on my lap right now.

The main concern is getting her to eat and drink now. The vet says she did neither while there but he thought I'd have better luck with her since she'd be home and less stressed with me there.

I'm giving her a good hour and a half to settle down and just relax now before i start getting on her case about eating and drinking. I don't want her to get diarrhea from all the stress. She's not shaking anymore though. :)

The vet told me not to give her lettuce. :huhHe told me he knows of buns that died because they had too much lettuce. I asked if he meant iceberg and he told me no, all kinds. :huhHe wants me to feed her spinach and broccoli. Won't broccoli cause gas? What else should I feed her? Obviously she will get plenty of hay. Her favorite is mashed bananas that she licks off my finger... I would give her a bit of that too. He told me to give her her favorites to begin with because she really needs to eat. Doesn't really matter as much what she is eating. I personally don't want her getting diarrhea so any pointers would be really appreciated :)

She's grinding her teeth pretty loudly and being aggressive with her blanket :(I take it she is hurting. How do I know when the pain is really bad? She's soffing parsley now... That's my girl ;)

Can I give her something to put on her belly? Like a hot water thingy or something cold? I dunno... I hate to see her in pain. I can tell she's not well. She's really aggressive and hiding in the blankets and trying to position her belly on a fluffy part of the blanket...

I'm so pleased she came through her ordeal ok. :)

Poor baby sounds like she is in pain, my vets are also like yours and don't give pain meds out! :X For example my guines pig Tilly needed a C Section in April, I asked for pain meds....they refused. My poor baby died 2 days later. :( I'm saying this to scare you, I'm just giving an example of my incompetent vets.

Is there no way you can get some pain meds from the vets now? I hope someone experienced here can help you.

No, the vet closed and I asked him a million times and he was really skeptical. I asked about a baby motrin and all but he told me I really shouldn't give her anything else. She did get some pain meds there yesterday and today. Right now she is hiding in her blanket and is really enjoying being caressed gently.

I'm not doing anything right now but if she gets too bad I will disregard his instructions and give her 1/4 or a tablet if others here think it would be safe. I mean it really was major surgery and she already wasn't feeling well... How is she going to eat and drink if she's in pain?

Poor baby! She must be in a lot of pain. There's been a lot of posts on here about vets who don't prescribe pain meds and bunny moms/dads knowing they NEED it just like a person would.My little girl recently had surgery and the vet only gave her Metacam. I could tell it wasn't enough. I had to be pretty persistant to get her Buprenex which was recommended by Randy and some others from this forum. It really did the trick. Maybe youshould call back, describe her behavior,and be insistent that you need at least some Metacam to get her through the weekend.

She didn't eat at all the day after the surgery. I had to try A LOT of things and finally she would eat canned pumpkin, mashed banana, and applesauce (no sugar). I mixed in a little Pedialyte with them because she wasn't drinking either. That's all she would eat for about 2-3 days. I would feed her some every few hours. Then, finally, to my relief she starting eating her pellets and drinking again. It was really scary.

I think some romaine lettuce or parsley would be better than spinach or broccoli (wet them to get her extra water). But probably for now just give her whatever she will take.

Poor girl. She's been so brave and strong, she totally deserves some pain meds. Keep up the great work with her. I know its teribbly scary.

Do you have any asprin in? I'm sure someone on here said you can give it, but I don't know the dosage...sorry. I hope someone helps soon and can advice if you can give it and the dosage.

Sorry I read too fast. I am really sorry about Tilly :?Was it directly related to the pain? Did her babies survive? Do you still have them? I love guinea pigs myself.

Wiggles' best friend was a piggy. She loooooooooooooved her so much. But I suddenly developped a severe allergy :(It was hard on Wiggles when I have to separate them. They did everything together. After a week of her being so depressed and went and got her Bam-Bam with whom she instantly bonded. :)Guinea pigs are such special animals too :p

I had my first guinea pig at 3 years old but my father was hospitalized due to a severe asthma attack and so we had to give it away. We tried at least another 7-8 times to have a guinea pig with no luck. He was too allergic. Finally when I moved out I got one and then well... It was me. Do you have a pic of tilly?

MsBinky wrote:
She's grinding her teeth pretty loudly and being aggressive with her blanket :(I take it she is hurting. How do I know when the pain is really bad? She's soffing parsley now... That's my girl ;)

Can I give her something to put on her belly? Like a hot water thingy or something cold? I dunno... I hate to see her in pain. I can tell she's not well. She's really aggressive and hiding in the blankets and trying to position her belly on a fluffy part of the blanket...
You can take a sock and fill it with rice and tie off the end and heat it in the microwave and put that next to her tummy. That will help with discomfort. You didn't get any pain meds:shock:? Can you call an emergency clinic and get some? She definitely needs something:(.

Thanks cmh, everything you said feels right. That's basically everything i had wanted to give her and using the same tricks. The vet closed. It closed at 12 today.

She's moving a lot because she looks for me when I get up so now I am trying to restrain my own movements so she can stay still. I don't want to put her in her cage as I know that right now all she wants to do is snuggle with me and have me pet her. She really is a big baby you know :p

Her ears are really really pale... Usually I can see the veins well but I can't now. They are colder than usual and her face is a bit warm. Is that normal?

Thanks Ellisian, I was wondering about that too... I will recheck my original thread as I remembered the med was mentionned there. :)What I am wondering about is if there can be any adverse effects since she supposedly had pain meds today? I don't want her having an overdose or anything either...

Thanks Angel, I will do that. I have a magic bag filled with rice that is microwaveable so that will help. I couldn't remember if heat or cold was better.

She was sitting onthe blanket and was shaking a bit so I wrapped her up and she sprawled and closed her eyes. I think we are in for a loooooooooooong day. :(Poor kiddo.

It's ok and thank you :) No Tilly's four babies were sadly stillborn, all four of them were crammed in one side of her uterus....and staved themselves of oxygen. They were full term and perfectly formed...but sadly not breathing when they were delivered. I think it was the pain that contrbuted to her death, she would not eat anything whatsoever. I syringe fed her for the 2 days but she refused to swallow any of it.

This is Tilly

HPIM0704-1.jpg

I have 5 other pigs now, there pics are on my log. :)

[align=center]Here's my baby girl hiding and cuddling in the blankets:[/align]
[align=center]
002-1.jpg
[/align]
[align=center]
004-1.jpg
[/align]
[align=center]Despite the pain and the surgery, her eyes are much more alive and I am so relieved. She's alert and she definitely does not want me getting off the couch right now. Silly bun.[/align]

Oh I am so sorry to hear Ellisian. Tilly sure was beautiful.I will surely check out your blog. I might have seen them but I have a bad memory and cannot remember who has who. *Blushes*

I don't have a thermometer... I'll go get one. Can someone just walk me through how to take it? I saw the vet do it but I'm a bit unsure. Do I need to put some lubricant on it?

And oh gosh she better not be going in shock on me...

Try and buy a digital one if you can. I use a little vasaline (petroleum jelly) to lubricate the tip, you gently ease it in.....don't force it in.

Grr I hate vets who dont give pain meds. I want to slice them open, take out an organ or two, stitch them up and send them home with no pain meds. Its seriously just wrong.

I wouldnt give her aspirin or anything like that though since it can be a blood thinner. Its too dangerous right after surgery. Keep an eye on her and if shes grinding her teeth and in obvious pain, see about calling an e-vet and demaning pain meds- ask for metacam/meloxicam at the very least.

And as confident as I was in the person with their surgical assessment/decisions, what the heck is with the no lettuce? Definitely offer her lettuce, parsley, anything green she will eat. I would statyaway from the brocolli for now (especially if she has never had it).

I'll be praying for your girl. Youre doing all the right things for her. Shes just beautiful.

Unfortunately, you can't give a bun Aspirin post-surgery, it can cause bleeding.

They definitely should have given her some serious pain meds. Too bad you don't have that vet's home number.

This is a really good time for the heated rice-in-a-sock trick.They're always cold post-surgery. And try and stick some parsely in her mouth. Sometimes if you wave it in front of their faces long enough, they'll grab in anger and starit and chewing it.

When did she last eat?

sas :clover:

Back