Update: Wiggles' Surgery

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[align=center]:yawn:[/align]
[align=center]It was a looooooooooooooooooooong night. Lol. I look like crap. The doctor is going to wonder what the heck is going on tomorrow when I go in. Two beautiful black eyes. Lol[/align]
[align=center]She ate quite a bit of hay. SHe was in a bit of pain at one point. I'd give her a piece of hay, she'd grab it violently and then fling it at me. :helpLol. I took Bam-Bam out for just a few minutes and let me tell you, I didn't expect her reaction. She started cryyyyyyyyyyyyyying!!! You know, that little whimpering sound they make? As soon as she spotted him she started and wouldn't stop until he ran to her and licked her all over. She flopped on her side and just let him take care of her. I gave Bam-Bam some treats and he was all happy too.[/align]
[align=center]Thisis what they looked like (I missed the side flop unfortunately):[/align]
[align=center]
007.jpg
[/align]
[align=center]
006.jpg
[/align]
[align=center]
005.jpg
[/align]
[align=center]She ate quite a bit of hay but nothing else last night. I didn't push because of the gurgling and I didn't want to make it worse. I have given her plenty of pedialyte and she got her meds this morning. She has been peeing but not pooping. I am a lil worried about that? She is moving around plenty so I put her in her carrier so she can't move much. She climbed up on me this morning and was licking me til I woke. [/align]
[align=center]So that's about it for now... [/align]

wow, it has been a rough weekend for you!

RE:the crying, wow. Pipp was right when she said you just dont know how they will react. She probably associates him with mating and was afraid she would be mounted. Im glad it worked out ok in the end and he's being a comfort to her.

Its great she's eating hay, what about pellets? It might be good to try and mix up some pellet/pumpkin slurry and offer it to her. Maybe syringe a little into her mouth if she doesnt fight you.

As for the gurgling, have you tried some simethicone? I think its called Ovol or something like that in Canada (its a baby gas med) and that will help if it gas. Either way it cant hurt.

How's her temperature today?

Keep up the good work. Hugs to you and Wiggles :hug:

Haley

I think she was just calling him, she stopped as soon as he came to her. It was really cute to see them interact.

As for the gurgling, I haven't heard anything for hours. I'm trying to avoid giving her all kinds of meds for now as much as possible.

She wants nothing to eat for now except the hay. I have not seen any canned pumpkin here :?Temp is looking good, actually she looks toooons better. She is warm and her ears are back to their normal color. She is way more alert now and definitely happier.

I forgot to mention that this morning she tried to bite at her stitches. I raised my voice at her and she stopped right away and lay down. That is another reason why she is not in her cage, I'm keeping a very close eye on her. I'm terrified of her pulling them out. I was wondering, would it be safe to make like a bandage? Not tight or anything... But I would like to put something so she can't get to them. It really stresses me out. :?

I wouldn't expose the doe to the buck and stress her out until she's healed.

You might also consider having the vet check your buck for any signs of reproductive infection. A buck with ochitis can spread the infection to the doe resulting in metritis. (Which may have happened in the case of your doe.)

You can try putting a baby t-shirt on her to protect the stitches. It's a good sign that she's eating hay. Nutri Cal is an excellent post-op supplement.

Pam

She is not stressed when she seems him, on the contrary, she relaxed when she saw him. However, I had no idea about the chance of him having an infection that could have caused hers... He was castrated last month. Do you think he could have gotten an infection from that? I have checked him regularly but found nothing wrong. He's not acting odd at all... Any ideas?

Ooooh I love that baby T-shirt idea!!! It sucks because the store is closing in a half hour but I will definitely go tomorrow!!!

Do you have any of those ace bandages? I wonder if you could lightly wrap one of those around her torso.

Or you could try something like cutting the arm off a shirt or something like that to slide over her midsection.

Thanks, I managed to get to the store on time. I didn't have anything I could use here and didn't want her spending another night playing with her stitches. I managed to get her a baby t-shirt that says "Me Spoiled? Not at all. Just ask my staff." Lol. :p

If the baby t-shirt doesn't work, you could try a tube sock. Cut the end off, and slide it over her. I remember reading about someone who did that after their bunny had an operation.

--Dawn

Bruno chewed at his wound after he was neutered (Even though he had internal stitches). I wonder if you might be able to get an e-collar from any local vet if she is consistently bothering with it and nothing else seems to help? I just closely monitored Bruno and checked his wound often to see if hewas bothering it or not.

[align=center]Hi guys[/align]
[align=center]Thank you all for your kind words and advice. I have been up every night since Thursday to keep her hydrated and to feed her. She is doing soooooooooo much better today. [/align]
[align=center]She is starting to poop much more and urinating plenty. She's eating tons of hay and parsley although she doesn't want any pellets right now. I'm letting her tummy settle before I push more food into her. She is very alert and actually playful. There are no signs of pain whatsoever. She does lie around a lot although I scolded her for jumping off the couch today. She's doing great with listening and I think she understands that it's for her own good. She's wearing her lil T-shirts and though they bug her at the paws, she seems quite cozy in them :)[/align]
[align=center]She still has to be against me and she enjoys watching TV with me. She's just a wonderful lil bun and I absolutely adore her to bits.[/align]
[align=center]:bunnydance:[/align]

[align=center]Here's the famous T-shirt that says: "Me spoiled? Not at all. Just ask my staff." :p[/align]
[align=center]
wigst-shirt002.jpg
[/align]
[align=center]And here is the other shirt which has lil bunnies on it :biggrin2:[/align]
[align=center]
wigglesshirt2003.jpg
[/align]

That has to be one of the cutest things I've ever seen!! How adorable are those t-shirts?? :)I'm so glad to hear she seems to be feeling better. Does she have a follow up vet appointment scheduled?

He did a follow-up phone call and was quite satisfied with my handling of the situation. He is really happy that she is home because she is recovering better than expected according to him. I think my girl is enjoying the extra attention and sleeping with me quite a bit. Lol.

We must go back on Tuesday of next week for her stitches. Other than that, she seems to be recovering well. I am so relieved that the pain has gone. Her eyes are back to normal and are no longer those sad sick bunny eyes that break your heart into pieces.

To think that just a few days ago I came so close to losing her... It's just funny that my instincts made it so that I went and checked on them one last time before heading to bed. If I hadn't, I am sure I would have faced my worst nightmare in the morning. *Shivers*

Hi All,

A few words about some of the OTC pain meds. Most Excedrin contain either aspirin, caffeine or both. Maybe not the best pain med to use. With the aspirin, you have a blood thinner (something to think about afterinvasive surgery or trauma)and with the caffeine you have a rabbit on a high....I would be very concerned about the heart rate especially if the bun is stressed....under stress the heart can reach 360 bpm....and then add a little boost from caffeine....not a good thing. Naproxen and Ponstan can be irritating to the stomach and can cause ulcers. I know my tummy doesn't particularly like naproxen. Remember that a rabbit's GI is very acidic and something to consider when using oral drugs. Sometimes it might be the lesser of the evils, but there are safer alternatives. The pH in the GI can also diminish the effects of some drugs....like some antibiotics.

And I have to ask...why do vets still use stitches? Our spays have internal sutures but the final close is with tissue glue. Never had a problem with any bun biting, scratching or anything else to the incision. Never had an infection either. And we have gone thru the spay thing many many times. Just wondering.

And the little shirt thing is awesome. Great pics....be nice if she felta little better in her poses.

Randy

Back