Update: Wiggles' Surgery

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

I've been following along, but haven't posted any advice.

Pipp gave you some of the best home treatments. (Awesome lady, eh?!)

I remember a post about giving her baby asprin. I'd go with it. I'll see if I can repost it here if I can find it.
Pain will make things worse. I don't really understand the reasoning behind not giving her someting for pain.

Heat will help too. Rice in a sock...warmed a bit in the microwave.

~Jim

I only insert the metal tip, nothing more.

Yay for Haley! :biggrin2: I glad someone has come a long that knows what to do, I'm just trying to help when I have'nt really got a clue! :?

ETA and Sas and Jim :)

Yeah Haley, I know exactly what you mean :shock:. I was so shocked by his no lettuce thing... So ok, he knows some stuff but not everything. I preferred the woman honestly, I'm quite sure she would also have operated because she told me she would if something changed with her health. I think he just didn't understand that it's the Iceberg lettuce that causes the diarrhea. He told me that buns died due to diarrhea from eating too much lettuce. Ah well. But then when he told me about the broccoli??? I was like no way, I ain't giving her that! LOL. Is metacam only for bunnies? Maybe I can go to a vet that does cats and dogs and ask if they would give me some in case?

Poor little girl. You've got her nice and snuggly, that's got to help. Has she seen her partner, Bam Bam?That was really helpful for my girl Sherry. Her partner Button snuggled next to her and groomed her so much during the first few days after her surgery. It was so sweet and seemed to make her feel more comfortable.

Lol cmh, I am feeding Bam-Bam right now and was gonna bring him out to do just that when I got back from the pharmacy :pI like how we think alike. Lol. I like how you think of the bun's emotional side too ;)I know Bam-Bam's really wanting out and since he is such a calm bun and I am here I am sure it can do nothing but good.

Whoa so many posts coming in, I can't keep up. Hehehe.

Ok no aspirin. I will equip myself with baby motrin and keep it on hand. Right now she is not grinding her teeth or anything so i won't push it unless I see signs of pain. I will definitelyget that hot pack going.

I'm off to get some veggies and a thermometer and such. I will be back shortly. I hate to move her now that she is so comfy though... :sigh:

Just wanted to add- Metacam is actually a pain med for dogs, so all vets should have some on hand.

Having her buddy near her should help, youre right. Just be very sure he doesnt mount her. Keep a close eye on them (which Im sure you're doing with her anyway) :)

Tylenol is not recommended for rabbits. Ibuprofen and Motrin are the only over-the-counter drugs I'd use, and only in emergencies.

Here's some Pain Mangement info:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15014&forum_id=10

I also wouldn't let the other bunny near her, they can react in unexpected ways.

You can get Nutrical from the dog and cat vet, that would be very helpful. Not sure they'll give you Metacam. Metacam also takes awhile to work. What she could use is a shot of something stronger. If they're not rabbit savvy you can print out the Susan Brown artcle from the links and show it to them.

Hope she feelsbetter soon!

sas :pray:

Back...

I got some liquid baby motrin. Its for the youngest babies so I figured that might be good. Also got plenty of veggies and a few jars of baby food just in case...

She is a beautiful bun, i am so glad she came through it, in my experience i just keep them warm and calm afterwards but i agree with the others that it can take a good day or so for them to start eating i always give them half a rich tea biscuit (if u have them over there) they love them and plenty of herbs and kale. They are usually pretty zonked for the first 8-9 hours till the pain meds wear off.

About the lettuces: the vet is incorrect, but this is a very persistent myth. (I've seen it on some otherwise reliable rabbit sites.)

lettuces are good for bunnies; green leaf, red leaf, romaine, etc. I guess I would be feeding whatever she likes a lot (parsley, as you mentioned; maybe cilantro, any lettuces that she enjoys, etc.) and, as others have said, give them to her wet so that she gets water that way. Would avoid both broccoli and spinach, too.

am in absolute agreement about her needing pain meds (the right kind, though) and can remember being cold post-surgery myself, just a few years back. (Also in a heck of a lot of pain, after a procedure that was pretty similar to what your bun just went through - it hurts!)

Your being there for her is a kind of "medicine," too.

I just made her a bunny salad... Little pieces of everything: romaine lettuce, parsley, carrot tops, bit of carrot, bit of apple, bit of banana, and a tad bit of spinach... Instead of vinaigrette, I dosed it with water :pShe's loving it. She's eating mostly the greens but nibbles at some treats here and there. Plus she is lying on her warm bag.

The funniest thing though, it that she HAS to be lying against me. If I get up, she'll walk around looking for me, or like now I moved because I wanted to give her more space to eat, well she stopped eating and came to lie down against me. I moved the bowl towards her and now she is eating again. LOL. :?

Hi,

I haven't read this entire post but...DO NOT GIVE ASPIRIN!!!. Aspirin is a blood thinner and should never, ever be used when there has been any medical procedure or trauma that has caused bleeding. As far as pain meds, metacam would be better than nothing but buprenex would be best. If you can get a vet to give some metacam. in this situation there should be a "loading" dose....it is a much higher first dose...we use it in critical wildlife injuries. Some vets will not send that home with patients (in the US anyway since it is a controlled drug) but a non-controlled narcotic like Tramadol can be used. It does have to be compounded into a suspension at a precise concentration. And as far as being cold, she is going into shock. Her body is responding to the pain as if it is an injury from a predator. Get her warm! Her body should feel slightly warm to the touch...normal body temp is 101F-103F. A heating pad on lowest setting, a warming blanket, a sock filled with uncooked rice or bean and heated in the microwave....anything that will provide her some supplemental heat. And the vet should either have an emergency number or provide an after hours e-clinin number. If they tell you they don't treat rabbits, INSIST they check the VIN and they can easily communicate with other vets and get valuable information on helping your rabbit.

I will continue to read on and monitor this thread and see how things go.

Randy

A w w w .... She's eating! She's fine! :yes: (Whew!)

This is such good news.Congrats! :hugsquish:

And nose pats for the little cutie!

As an aside, it really woudn't surprise me if the 'infection' 'was adead litter. I still think the first vet(s) could have saved the poor girl a lot of pain and you a lot of aggravation AND money by simply spaying her in the first place. But whatever. All is well that ends well. :)

sas :thumbup

No aspirin given no worries :)I don't trust aspirin.

She is all warm now and eating and drinking some. She is making some small whimpering sounds every now and then but settles whenI pet her. She'll be sleeping with me tonight so that I can monitor her closely. Plus, i doubt she wants to go in the cage anyway.

I agree with the dead litter theory. I'm guessing she tried to reabsorb them but didn't quite succeed or something of the sort.

As for the first vet, she did want to get her spayed asap. She just didn't do it that day. *Shrugs* Lol.

ra7751 wrote:
As far as pain meds, metacam would be better than nothing but buprenex would be best. If you can get a vet to give some metacam. in this situation there should be a "loading" dose....it is a much higher first dose...we use it in critical wildlife injuries. Some vets will not send that home with patients (in the US anyway since it is a controlled drug) but a non-controlled narcotic like Tramadol can be used. It does have to be compounded into a suspension at a precise concentration.
Randy
Ah, Buprenex. That's the drug I was trying to remember, thanks. I'm still not sure if the drugs listed in the earlier thread (Excedrin, Naprosyn/Naproxen, and Ponstan). That's info I'd like to find out eventually.

ra7751 wrote:
If they tell you they don't treat rabbits, INSIST they check the VIN and they can easily communicate with other vets and get valuable information on helping your rabbit.

This is GREAT advice (as usual). The VIN (Veterinary Information Network) site is here, in case you have to spoon feed them the info:

http://www.vin.com/

sas :)

Back