Tokyo Buns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
usawan wrote:
100716_15410001.jpg
100716_15410002.jpg

eye-chan

Call me crazy but she definitely has theJapanese eyes!

Hope it is the weather that's slowing her eating habits. Think she's trying to prove you wrong from the last picture!:biggrin2:

well i woke up today to find that fuan-chan had some massive poopy-butt. scared the hell out of me. i got a damp towel and wiped her off as best i could (fuzzy bunny + liquid poo = MESSY) and am browsing infirmary threads like a madman...i put her on the floor and she seemed ok, no lethargy, she hopped around and then went straight to her favorite spot under my bed where she is currently still lying.

i'm not sure what brought this around...her diet has been the same as always. i am monitoring her VERY closely now though...i'm going to be a giant ball of stress until this passes.

:nerves1

so i moved fuan-chan's cage out from my closet and put it onto the floor next to where i sit with my laptop, so this way i can keep my eye on her constantly and monitor her hay/water intake.

i forgot just how BIG this thing is (my closet is immense)...i had to do some major furniture rearranging to fit it on my floor. thankfully i could put stuff up into the closet again (like my suitcases...)

2323232327Ffp6327nu32727443WSNRC-1.jpg
100718_11280001.jpg

(i took her food bowl out after i shot this by the way, trying to push just weed and water for now). she did hop into her (freshly cleaned) litter box and nibble some hay, so that was encouraging. if she isn't drinking i'm going to buy some apple juice at my supa and put a few drops into her water to see if that won't do some good.

since she's right next to my back window i have the door open so she can get some direct air flow. she's laying down right now so hopefully if this was stress related (it hasn't been that hot inside my house, but she DOES live on the top shelf of my closet so it may be warmer there) she will recover fine. i may have to move her here until fall when it cools down substantially enough to put her back in the closet.

well i just looked over and she's grooming herself. feel better soon poo-chan.

kirbyultra wrote:
Hope she's doing better! How scary :( Her cage is pink!!! XD
thanks...she so far seems her usual self, but usual fuan-chan involves a lot of lying around haha. she did eat a bit more hay though and pushed her jingly cat balls around a tad.

yes it is pink ! well half of it is white because they didn't have enough pink panels at the time lol.

alright last update of the day i promise...it's my little hime-sama's first time getting sick so i'm allowed to spam update about her condition ;)

she seems to be doing fine, she's been drinking water on her own (didn't need to add the apple juice after all). she's been laying down most of the day but i don't blame her, so have i. today was horrible, high of 32.9゜C with 98% humidity so i'm relieved to see her drinking water. thankfully right now the heat and humidity have dropped considerably.

haven't seen her eat much weeds but i'm more concerned about her being hydrated after all that runny poo. she hasn't passed anything since this morning, but i'm optimistic that she'll be feeling better in a day or two.

100718_14000001.jpg
100718_13120001.jpg

some relaxing in front of the open door...and some drinking ! yay !

have you been feeding her any hay?

and drinkin is a good sign :)

it is currently 31゜C and 62% humidity in tokyo...compared to yesterday's brutality i can hardly feel the humidity today. however because i've been out walking quite a bit (met up with my friend last night around 02:30 to go wander around shinjuku, just got home now at about 14:20ish) i am feverishly hot and feel like i have some minor heat stroke. the sun is so relentless...when my friend and i passed into the shade of a building immediately the temperature dropped about 5 degrees. it was amazing just how much cooler it got not being in direct sunlight. when i got home i peeled my shirt off (some days it's just so bad that you get down to the intimates before you even have both feet out of the genkan (entryway) ) and my shirt was wet like i had just submerged it into a bucket of water. this summer is just...so hot.

when i got home i immediately went to check on poo-chan, and her bum was clean ! :weee: the fur is still a bit matted and dirty (i will wipe her down some more in a bit but it looks like she did some good cleanup on her own) but there was no poo stuck to her. last night she passed a large clump of soft cecals that got smashed into her poor bum-fur real good (took me a half hour to get her just remotely clean and she still smelled like a horse barn) but i was relieved to see that it was more solid than the first poo (which was very much liquid). i was surprised that the cecals smelled like horse...i have only smelled horse a couple of times in my life, but it is such a strong, defined scent, that i have not forgotten it.

there are no poos in her litter box, but i gave her a small amount of kibble that she sampled. i will leave it in so she can get some solid food with the hay and start giving me nice good unchi (poo) again.

in some other news

my friend and i went to our pet store (kojima) today because we were discussing the use of insects for a photo project of hers, and since they have a lot of big beetles in because it's summer, we were thinking about purchasing some to use (that i would later inherit as pets because my friend is not a bug person). atlas beetles, heracross beetles, beetles whose names i have forgotten...but anyhow, the atlas beetles have weekend and holiday sales and are only about 980yen for a male and female pair, including their little split terrarium. i have decided that next weekend i'm going to go in and pick out a pair i like, and try my hand at a bit of breeding. i have always wanted atlas beetles, i love them a lot, and so i am very excited to see if i can be successful. if i plan to eventually bring in new beetles to try and get a huge, beautiful male with perfect horns. it is apparently very difficult to breed them, but i accept the challenge. breeding and collecting beetles as a hobby is extremely common here, and i would love to eventually have many types of them (perhaps not all to breed, but just to collect them). after they pass i plan to collect their carapaces for decoration (i am such a bug nerd at heart, truly).

thank you everyone for your concern about fuan-chan, it means a lot to me. :) well, off to nap now...

today one of the people who work at my school brought in a metal tray with two frozen blocks of ice and set them in our classroom in front of a fan to help cool the room down. we have the misfortune of being in the hottest room in the school because in the afternoon the sun's heat is directly on that side of the building, and not even the air con can keep it cool. everyone was taking pictures of the ice when it was brought in haha.

100722_10040001.jpg

lucky me, i sit right in front of where the ice was ;) everyone kept coming over to touch it because it was so cool. the room was so warm though that the ice melted very fast, the tray kept filling with water and spilling onto the floor. but it did help blow some cool air around. by the end of the day, the blocks were melted down to about a quarter of their height from when they started out. (about a 3 hour time lapse)

after class i met up with my friend and we went to get gyudon for lunch. it's a cheap, easy way to cram a lot of calories into your day and all the places that are gyudon mise (shops) are open 24/7 so it's very convenient. it's basically a bowl of rice with either beef or pork on top. the place we go to you can also get different toppings, and our favorite is the cheese topping. for hilarity, i got the MEGA size and my friend got the MINI size.

100722_14200002.jpg
100722_14410001.jpg

before, and after :biggrin: my friend has her nice camera out because we were doing (sometimes not so) covert street photography for her photo class final project. that was really fun, just walking around shinjuku and taking pictures of people for a few hours. after it got too dark for photos, we went to baskin robbins ! (it's just called 31 here) they had a gentei offer of 3 scoops for the price of two called 'challenge the triple' that we had done previously when it first came out, but it was supposed to have ended already. however the shinjuku mise extended it until the 23rd (tomorrow ! tempted to go again..) so we were able to get three delicious scoops of ice cream and chill in the AC for a while. i'm not sure if this is a japan-only thing or if it's also in the US.

100722_16440001.jpg
100722_16430001.jpg
100722_16570001.jpg

sitting on the floor in a corner because the tables were full...my friend's ice cream is on the left, mine is on the right. she had coconut grove, caramel praline cheesecake, and belgian chocolate chunk. i had 31 love, jamoca coffee, and mint chocolate chip. (in the states, when i was a kid since i have a summer birthday i used to always get mint chocolate chip ice cream cakes from baskin robbins...so mint chocolate chip ice cream is really natsukashii (nostalgic) for me )

baskin robbins here has a lot of really amazing monthly limited flavors, and each season they change. the fall (halloween themed) and winter (christmas themed) flavors are our favorites. summer flavors are too fruity for my tastes ! what is everyone's favorite flavors ?? i'm partial to coffee or matcha flavored ice cream. (but not together lol)

i love your bunnies and all of their fuzzy fur! so cute!

also, mint choc chip and coffee are two great choices c:

I am glad she is feeling better, the heat is definitely no help.

I never thought of my lionheads as tribbles, love it! I hope your studies continue to go well.

HAha, I didn't know Baskin Robbins was "31" there! What's so hard about a triple scoop though? :) The American appetite doesn't stop at a triple.

I loooove gyudon. Don't laugh, but Yoshinoya gyudon... drool. The Yoshinoya we have in Times Sq. NYC sucks in comparison. Something about it is not the same. Gotta get it in Japan. But anyway, in general, gyudon. So good. So juicy. Satisfying indeed.

Hope it cools down soon!

@ wabbitdad- thanks ! it has been hard to focus in class lately with the heat, but i'm doing my best. we're going through some tough material lately though, so i have to pull double-time studying. fuan-chan is doing great, her unchi have returned completely to normal and she's pooping up a storm to make up for lost time.

@helen- i had no idea there was a yoshinoya in NY ! gyudon is amazing...i don't know if i could live without it ! our favorite place is sukiya because they have a bunch of toppings that you can choose, and they don't cost any extra.

---

well it's official, i bought my plane ticket to go to the US in the fall for 9 days. i'm so excited ! i haven't been home in a year, and by the time september rolls around it will be a year and a half at least. i can't wait to get fat on mexican food and my mother's cooking. i can also pick up a lot of bunny toys (like those rainbow-colored geometric wooden balls i always see around the forum). they don't really sell bunny 'toys' here, mostly just wooden items designed to be chewed on. but then again, in japan, bunnies aren't really 'played' with, so it makes sense. but it could also be a location thing, there are much bigger kojimas than the one i go to (but none are really convenient to go to). my suitcase will be one third stuff for me, and two thirds bunny stuff when i come back home haha. spoiled little things.

i have a post i am dying to make but i'm waiting on my friend to send me pictures, so you will all have to wait with me :p hopefully i can get them from her in the next couple days once her finals are over.

---

tonight i took apart fuan-chan's cage and cordoned off part of my house so shushu could run around for a bit. lately because fuan-chan has been in her face, shushu has been on a pee rampage and i'm really sick of cleaning it up. she never, never pees when i let her out, but because fuan-chan is in her line of sight constantly now that she's moved down from the closet shelf, i think she's really upset. it's terribly mendoukusai (troublesome) to have to move the cage around but i can't NOT give shushu run time, and at least the cage is made of panels and moves easily. i love having a bunny out next to me all the time, but i really can't wait until i can put the cage back in my closet and get half my house back.

fuan-chan gets to be on my side of the barrier because shushu needs to be where her cage (litterbox) is, and fuan-chan has stellar litter habits and i can easily move her toilet around and she'll use it wherever. she was being extra cute tonight, so i got some pictures. most of them i had to use my phone camera's night mode function because it is really dark in my house even with the light on. (note to self: buy curtains this year)

100725_22040001.jpg
100725_22110001.jpg

she randomly came up while i was on my laptop and wedged herself in between my thigh and the barrier and melted out for some petting. (there was literally maybe two or three inches of space there) it was definitely an 'awe' moment. the second picture was after she'd hopped up and run around some more, then came back and flopped by my feet.

100725_22120002.jpg
100725_22120003.jpg

she's looking rather scruffy with all the shedding. the second picture is just me being a goof. i play with my buns' ears all the time...i mean how can you not ? haha

100725_22120001.jpg
100725_22080002.jpg

lumpy head-chan.

oh and just for fun (and because this post isn't long enough yet) some gentei curry my friend and i had at one of our favorite restaurants. it was so delicious.

100724_16280001.jpg

usawan wrote:
baskin robbins here has a lot of really amazing monthly limited flavors, and each season they change. the fall (halloween themed) and winter (christmas themed) flavors are our favorites. summer flavors are too fruity for my tastes ! what is everyone's favorite flavors ?? i'm partial to coffee or matcha flavored ice cream. (but not together lol)
That sounds so good! I'm not a big ice cream person, but mint chocolate chip and coffee are favorites for me.

When I lived on Guam, the Baskin Robins there had an amazing variety of delicious tropical fruit flavors, I went there all the time. My favorite was mango with passion-fruit swirl. So good! By comparison, the flavors here are boring. I rarely go to Baskin Robins anymore, as most of the flavors are ones I can buy in a carton at the supermarket.

okay i can't keep him a secret anymore. he's just too cool. :biggrin:

so until the GOOD pictures come in, you get some pictures from my phone.

100727_22300001.jpg
100727_22300002.jpg
100727_22360001.jpg

this is MUSHY, my japanese rhinoceros beetle ! in japanese, he is called simply kabutomushi (カブト虫) which just means beetle. mushi (虫) means 'bug', and 'mushy' is a mispronunciation of 'mushi'. my friend and i couldn't think of anything clever to name him so he just gets to be mushy-kun. ( -kun is the boy version of the -chan suffix)

i want a ton of kabutomushi now. when mushy passes, i plan on preserving his carapace.

i just love bugs :biggrin:

i ran into some bunnies today while out and about with my friend, thought i'd share them with you. the first one is on a packet of hanabi (fireworks), and the second is a crime prevention hotline poster at my friend's station. (yeah i don't get it either)

100728_16030001.jpg
100728_15110001.jpg

in some embarrassing news, i got on the wrong train going home tonight. i take the LOCAL train, but without realizing it i got on the EXPRESS train. they are the same train line, so all the trains look identical. in a year of living at my house this is the first time i've done this so, i think it was probably overdue eh ? luckily all the express trains stop two stations down from me before continuing on, so getting back home was fast. i still feel rather foolish however...

Gah! I want rabbit stuffs! Lol. Pencil cases, pencils,pens, bags.... :p

Mushy is awesome! Is he all black? I cannot really tell. So... How do you keep beetles? I mean, what kind of care do they require?

Your buns are too cute :biggrin2:

Nela wrote:
Mushy is awesome! Is he all black? I cannot really tell. So... How do you keep beetles? I mean, what kind of care do they require?
he's actually a reddish color, but that is because he's still young. when he matures completely he will be solid black. here is a better picture of his color that my friend took:

mushy.jpg

his care is actually quite simple...they just eat jellies (he's chowing down on one in the picture), and require a humid environment (a few sprays from a water bottle does the trick). i keep him in a small plastic terrarium since he isn't very active. if he isn't eating, he is usually asleep buried in the wood chips. as far as care goes, that is about it ! they are really simple little things. i plan on getting into breeding kabutomushi eventually, but it's a really delicate process, so for now i am alright just having my one beetle to look after :biggrin:

Back