Tokyo Buns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usawan

Reaction score
いっらしゃいませ !

hello everyone ! well i finally decided after much deliberation to actually sit down and start writing a bunny blog. i figure maybe people would be curious about how somebunnies (and their humans) live in different parts of the world, so, here goes nothing !

---

to start things off, i guess i should talk a little bit about myself. my name is sebastian, and i'm originally from california but have been living in tokyo for the past year as a student. i got my first bunny just after new years on a total whim (and some not so subtle coercion from my friend), and about a month later brought my second bunny home. i must say, after living alone for almost a year, it's really nice to have someone in the house other than yourself to talk to. ;)

for those who are curious, my username 'usawan' is after a character here in japan that you can win in UFO catchers (claw machines for those in the US). it's a cross between a rabbit (ウサギ - usagi) and a dog. in japan a dog goes ワンワン (wan wan), and so when you combine the two, you get an USAWAN. here is a picture of one that i won a while back:

100618_23170001.jpg
100618_23180001.jpg

the tag says (roughly):
USAWAN
slightly big mascot stuffed animal
spring color pastel~
when eating only spinach grass, the child becomes grass green color...
the もぐもぐ (mogu mogu) is the sound that a rabbit makes when eating spinach apparently ;)

they come in several different colors, but i only have the white one.

well enough about me, here are who you REALLY came here to see ;)

---

SHUSHU (シュシュ)

100111_18120001.jpg
100111_16450001-1.jpg
100111_16430001.jpg

baby shuu. the second photo has been known to make every woman within a five mile radius squeal at a pitch which can shatter glass.

shushu is a tortoise american fuzzy lop. however, her ears never fell, so she just runs around looking like a slightly deformed dog. in japan, a 'shushu' is what you call a hair scrunchie. she is my absolute princess, and she knows it. her favorite pastime is chewing on everything within reach, be it cardboard, plastic, 4 phone chargers, my books, my clothes...

some more recent photos of shushu:

100611_13540001.jpg
100613_14240001.jpg
100616_15410002.jpg

she is well known for appearing to not have a face.

FUAN-CHAN (不安ちゃん)

100422_20420001.jpg
100604_16550001.jpg
100613_11120001.jpg

fuan-chan is also an american fuzzy lop, but a broken blue. she, unlike shushu, has proper lop ears. about a month after i got shushu, the same pet store got her in, and because she was the same breed (i love fuzzy animals, it's a weakness) i immediately had to have her. in japanese, 不安 (fuan) means 'stressed', as in to be stressed out. because she has red eyes, she 'scans' to see, and sways her head side to side. a joke between my friend and i was that she seemed really stressed out all the time, and so the name just stuck. ちゃん (chan) is a suffix that is used for girls as a term of endearment. i'm often told by japanese people that 'stress' isn't a real name for an animal ;)

she loves to be held, and i often just walk around with her in the crook of one arm, or hold her while at my laptop. she absolutely LOVES to dig, currently a box that my mother shipped me some american goodies in has become her favorite toy. (she flattens herself out and crawls inside, and digs at the bottom) one day she'll dig straight through back to the US :p

---

well that's it for now, more to come later !

サヨナラ !

-bas
:biggrin2:

Hi Sebastian. One of my buns is named Sebastian:biggrin2: ShuShu and Fuan-Chan are adorable. I'm squealing from this side of the pond! Hopefully Fuan-Chan will dig her way thru to New Jersey.:p

haha you have good choice in names ;)

judging by the sound from her cage, she should be somewhere close to the earth's core by now :p

i think her ears are possibly just....deformed ? she is the exact same bunny as fuan-chan in all other regards, just her ears are strange.

i might wander over there later though and see if i can't get some proper answers about it. i might have to shave her though so people can see the bunny under all that fur haha.

Shushu reminds me of a lionhead.

ShuShu & Fuan-Chan are adorable!
I'll definitely be a regular reader, I love Japan. "Mogu mogu" lmbo!
Is the chan suffix usually hyphenated? I ask because I always call my cat Kagome "gome chan" but I've always wrote it as two words.

YukonDaisy wrote:
Is the chan suffix usually hyphenated?
when it's written in japanese, usually it is not hyphenated, and it's written as one word (as if it were part of the name). but when i write it in english i usually use a space or hyphenate it because it makes it easier to read imo ;)

missyscove wrote:
What do you study?
currently i'm attending language school to try and pass the JLPT (japanese language proficiency test), but my major is science with an emphasis on human anatomy and physiology !

so this morning i went to change shushu's cage, and i guess i woke her up because she had some FIERCE bedhead going. (it was kind of bad lighting and my phone camera is old, so pardon the image quality)

100611_13530001.jpg
100611_13520002.jpg
100611_13520001.jpg

elegant creature she is not.

---

my official first weekend of vacation woo ! two whole weeks to slack off and do nothing until the next semester begins. :weee:

lying in bed with a soft bunny at 8am is the best way to start one's morning. she eventually just settled into the crook of my arm and had her head resting on me while i pet her until my arm hurt, listening to the rain and sounds of my neighborhood in the morning.

it was 幸せ. (shiawase - happiness) :hearts

100619_09480001.jpg
:hearts:bunny19

100619_09460002.jpg
100619_09430001.jpg
100619_09420001.jpg
100619_09410002.jpg
100619_09410001.jpg
100619_09400001.jpg
100619_09380001.jpg

my little お姫様 (o-himesama - princess)

hln917 wrote:
More pictures please so I can squeal!:biggrin2:
wish granted ;)

first off, thank you everyone for your kind comments :hearts

i woke up this morning around 5am, but i thought for some reason it was 5 at night and i freaked out for a few minutes before realizing that i was totally mistaken. i took last train home the night before (around 1am) after meeting with a couple acquaintances of mine for some drinks, so i only got 4 hours of sleep...maybe that's why i woke up all confused. i ended up going back to bed around 9 and waking up at noon (gotta love vacation time) so i feel better now...but man that sucked ! i hate it when i wake up and think a day has passed when it's only been a couple hours.

anyhow, today shushu discovered where i keep the bunny weed...usually it's sealed up but i was doing some refills and heard some loud crinkling. well i turned around and i see this:

100624_14070001.jpg

shushu had her entire head buried in the bag...so i grabbed my phone and lay on the floor snapping away while she munched, but she's so hard to photograph because she just doesn't sit still at all, so i did the best i could.

100624_15540001.jpg
100624_15520002.jpg

nom nom nom nom

100624_14070002.jpg
100624_14070003.jpg

don't try and look innocent at me, shuu. i know you're plotting something...i see you staring at the weed bag...

100624_15410001.jpg

you kinda got something...

100624_15570001.jpg

shushu's favorite perch is on top of her cage. however i've noticed lately that she's been eating part of my closet :grumpy: gotta watch her more closely now...

---

in completely unrelated news, the ANGRY WHOPPER is back !!! :rofl:

100621_12000001.jpg

i was with my friend in shinjuku and saw this sign outside burger king. you can pick the spice level of it from really mild to DEATH, and it is SO DELICIOUS. hopefully i can get one before they stop selling it. the last gentei (限定) or 'limited edition' burger i had at BK was the BOURBON WHOPPER this past winter that came with a highball. the burger was delicious, but the highball, however, was not. i still carry the coupon from this around in my wallet because it was too funny. BK in japan sells alcohol (beers and such).

091219_11100001.jpg

the harajuku mcdonald's a few months back had a preposterous gentei offer, all you can eat fries and all you can drink soda if you bought an L size set between 5 and 10pm. :shock: can you imagine !

100201_14540001.jpg

woops, today's post was long eh :biggrin2: i meant to study today but now it's evening and i've done absolutely nothing. better get on that...

LOL Angry Whopper was here too but I'm not too sure if we had "Death" level. Sounds awesome!

The advertisements for fast food in Japan are *hilarious*. I always laugh when I walk around Tokyo on vacation! Always something entertaining. They make everything like cartoons and cute. It's lovely!

I love your blog!! I'm trying to learn Japanese, so I'll have to keep stopping in. Maybe reading your blog will help motivate me :biggrin:

Shushu is so cute! Such long hair!

Latest posts

Back