Thinking about adopting another kitty

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, poor baby...Wow, I had no idea that they should be keptseperate for a few days. :shock: Well, I guess that makes sense. I'm just impatient and anxious to see them getting along. :biggrin2:

Hey seniorcats - one of my cats thinks your cat is her long lost sister...

peanutcrouch.jpg

Thumpers_Mom wrote:
I'm just impatient and anxious to see them getting along. :biggrin2:
Me, too! If she didn't have mites, I wouldn't be able to wait. I'm thinking I'll need to keep her quarantineduntil the second mite treatment. Ibelieve it's 10 days. I'm waiting to hear back fromthe vet.

Yay! Congrats on getting her home!! Sounds like she isa perfect fit! I'm glad you cought the ear mites early, before she had a chance to spread them to Marley! Fluffy had them as a kitten when I brought her home, after the drops (which she hated) they never reoccured.

Pics!! Pics!! Pics!!

Leaf wrote:
Hey seniorcats - one of my cats thinks your cat is her long lost sister...

peanutcrouch.jpg

I'm comin' to steal that kitty! Must have her - she's so darn cute She does look like Nutmeg, my avatar. She looks even more like Condi,one of the kittens Nutmeg had 3 days after I got her. How funny is that?

Nutmeg was abandoned in Taylor, South Carolina (near Myrtle Beach). Her owners dumped her because she was pregnant. We had a rescue train to get her from SC to Ohio. Calico cats and all white cats are my favorites.

In cats, what's the difference between Tort and Calico?

There was a SWEET "Torti/Tabby" at the shelter yesterday and my daughter begged me to get her instead. The lady there said Torti cats are always female. I didn't know that.

The colors in tortoishell cats and calico cats are the same, just that torts have smaller spots...kind of a speckled effect.

And she's right...most calicos and torts are female. :)

That video is SO CUTE, Laura!! I love how happy Marley's tail is making Penny!!!

:inlove:

Here's a good article that has pictures to illustrate the differences.We have some different nicknames for the mixes of tortie and calico - torbie, tortico, etc. Then there's dilute or pastel coloring - grey, peach and white rather than black, orange and white.

Tortoiseshell and calico are almost always females. The few males tend to be sterile. Some folks think that a non-sterile calico male is worth big bucks but that's an old tale.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tortoiseshell_cat

I used to have a diluted tort...SO PRETTY!! She was gorgeous...

Also, my first kitty was a straight tort, deemed Mama Kitty because she was a stray that kept having litters (this was about fifteen years ago...and she was the neighbors technically, even if she did bring her kitties over to our house every morning, after he'd brought everyone back to his porch every night...so we couldn't just go get her spayed). It's funny...people used to think she was ugly...but I thought she was GORGEOUS!! :D

And Katie with that diluted tort color...oh, DREAMY!!

And then we had a straight calico...Nicki...softest kitty! She was really grumpy, and it took me a LONG time of sitting on the floor, getting her to adjust to me being around, and finally she just resolved herself to the fact that I wasn't going away until she let me pet her...what a gorgeous cat. Her coloring reminded me of a court jester's costume...one paw orange, the other one black, and every following part of her was switched to be the other way around...she was so pretty!

But yeah...I'm partial to the tort/calicos...they're really special kitties. :)

Oh, and something else interesting...Mama Kitty (the straight tort) would mate with an orange tabby in the neighborhood (named Mr. Morris, hehe), and they would create all rainbow colors of tabbies...and tuxedos...broken tabbies...just a whole slew of different colorings. It was really interesting!

Funny you should ask - I'm working on that right now!

I've got a video uploading to Photobucket andI'm trying to get some pics, but she won't stay still!

She is sooo precious!Howlong do you have totreat for mites? What's her personality like?

I'm so happy she found her home with you.

*Jackie

Thanks! She is sweet, but I can see the diva potential! She has a b**chy little meow when she doesn't like something or isn't getting enough attention. It's cute.

She was treated with Ivermectin ear drops and I applied a round of Revolution, so she should be clear of mites now.

Marley hasn't seen her yet. I'm taking it really slow. I put him up last night and let her out to explore a bit. She didn't want to go back in the bedroom, of course and whined all night. Needlessto say, I'm TIRED today.

She is wonderful!!!!!! -- you are very lucky

She is obviously aware that there is another cat in the house because her tail was going a lot while she was wondering around.

If her mites are under control I would begin introductions between her and Marley, it wont be like a rabbit bonding and a lot quicker. There will be hissing and growling but give them time and you will be amazed at how quickly they learn to get along.

I think she should have her own kitty blog!!

Latest posts

Back