Thinking about adopting another kitty

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
seniorcats wrote:
Why not get Ms. Myrtle too and have a 3-some?
Hee hee - would love to, but hubby says the current critter limit is 6. :( I'm lucky to be able to get one more.

Thanks everyone for the input. It's really helped a lot.

One other thing - are shelter cats likely to be sick? Should they go straight to the vet's, then into quarantine like rabbits?

I know in our shelter alot of the kitties get an Upper respiratory infection. It's basically like a kitty cold, and it spreads easily through the air. When they're all that close, it spreads quickly.
It is relatively easily treated, usually with about 10 days of antibiotics, but it is also contagious.

I'm picking up Bailey tomorrow!!!

:woohoo

I just pray that she and Marley get along. I've been reading up on kitty bonding. I told my husband we had to introduce them properly, and he said, "What? Are yougoing to sit them down at the dinner table, light some candles and prepare a nice meal?". hee hee

I e-mailed the shelter today. They saidshe'd been there for months. I asked if any of their kitties were sickly and she said no, besides they are all in isolation. :( Poor babies. Months on end in a little cage.

I stopped at the store today and got another huge litter box and 27 pounds of litter.

I can't wait for tomorrow!!!

YAYYY!!! I was so hoping that you replying on this thread meant that you were getting her...WOOHOO!!

I can't wait to see her all settled in her new forever home...and I'm sure that in you introducing them properly, they'll get along great. :D

OMG YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am sooooooooooooooooooooo happy for you and Bailey!!!! - are you keeping her name?

Some cats get on straight away and some take time - like rabbits - just take it one step at a time and if she doesnt bond with Marley straight away make sure she bonds with you so she feel more secure. She is going to be scared and uncertain but with all the love you have she will be totally fine.

Best thing to do is set aside a quiet room for her to go into when she comes home. Pop her in there, shut the door and get her settled in and give her as much fuss as she is ready to accept. When you have stroked her go and stroke Marley and let him sniff her and rub her sent on him - then do the same with her. If need be keep them apart for a couple of days to settle her in but sometimes you dont even need to do that.

Cant wait to hear all about it and, of course, see pictures :D:D:D:D:D:D

I can't wait for this day to end! At least I'm busy at work, so that helps.

I have the carrier in the trunk and I am ready to go get Bailey!!!

I just got an e-mail about the other cat in danger (Morris). He was adopted! I'm so happy about that. I was worried for him, too.

This is a GREAT day!!!

:bunnydance:

Do you have Bailey yet? After reading this thread, I checked out my local shelter and they have a ton of black kitties that are all described as being sweeties! I like cats but don't know if we'll every have one because of my birdies and they live a long time. Can an adult cat be taught to leave bunnies alone?

Anyway, congrats on Bailey!

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Do you have Bailey yet?
Not yet! I'll get her around 5:00 (two and a half hours).

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Can an adult cat be taught to leave bunnies alone?
My Marley won't leave Penny alone. He picks on her and I'm not sure why. She LOVES him. He has no claws, but I don't let him in her room when she's out. He slaps her too much and it's just mean.

It sounds as though he is trying to play with her - it sounds like he needs a sister.

I am so excited for you cant wait till you go and get Bailey - it only seems five minutes since you got Marley

I think once you have Bailey home, and they're through their introductions, it'll take his mind off of Penny...he'll be more interested in spending time with Bailey. :)

Let us know when she's home! How exciting!! :D:D:D

She's home!!!

She came into her room, explored, used the litter box, ate and drank all in the first five minutes!

She's beautiful and her coat is so soft.

More later. Gotta go.

Oh my gosh! She is so sweet! I think we are changing her name to something more girly. Ally suggested Bella. I really like it, but we're not 100% set on it yet.

I was really concerned when I saw her at the shelter. She seemed like she just wanted to be left alone. She was lethargic and wouldn't interact with us, but now that she's here, she's a totally different kitty.

She is so friendly with us. She loves attention. She is really comfortable, and just seems right at home.

I noticed her scratching her ears earlier, but she hasn't done it again. Are cats prone to ear mites? I wonder if I should have a vet check her out. They told me she had her vet check last month and all was well.

That's so wonderful to hear that she's so comfortable...

It'll be easy to tell if she's got ear mites...look in her ears...if there looks like there's dirt in there, she's probably got them. Will the shelter be paying for her first vet visit? If not, and you see that in her ear (literally just looks like the inside of her ears is dirty), I would suggest calling them and demanding that they give you what you need for it. Also, try checking at thecatsite.com (at their articles, or posting on the forum, either way you feel comfortable) for how to handle ear mites. To my knowledge, it's really easy to treat and handle. I've never had an experience of it continuing and being hard to get rid of. :)

If you need any advice then I post on a cat forum - well its cats and dogs but mostly cats - called www.understandinganimals.com/forum - Everyone there is SUPER friendly and nice and there is a small group of us, compared to here so we all know each other really well and its lovely.

One of the members, Gabrielle, has a tortie called Bella and she was terrified in the shelter but has totally come out of herself now.

My nan had a german shepard called Bella LOL and my best friend has one called Ella

I think my favorite girl pet name at the moment is Lottie

Thumpers_Mom wrote:
Has she met any of your other furbabies?
No, she has ear mites, so I have to treat that first. Plus, I've read that new kitty should be kept separate from resident kitty forseveral days to ease the bonding process. That way, they can get each others' scents before they meet face to face. Marley knows she is there and has been hanging around the door to her room.

Back