Thinking about adopting another kitty

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snuggys Mom

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting Marley a sister or brother for Christmas.

The rescue group I know has two kitties that need homes by Friday:

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=9574766

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=9018097

I really like the orange/white one.

But there are some at local kill shelters, too:

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=9600207

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8943540

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=7207618

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8690034

I don't know what to do. I want to take them all, but I can only have one.

For those of you who are kitty savvy, does gender matter if they are speutered? My only cat is a neutered male. He is defenseless as his former owner decided to declaw him on all four. :X I need to be sure the kitty I get is sweet and won't hurt my Marley boy.

I think your best bet would be to get a boy, in this case. Keeping in mind that not all kitties are alike in personality (of course), but most of the time, boys are more cuddly and loving. I would definitely recommend getting a boy over a girl in this case.

Of course, there's always that cuddly female in the mix that I cannot say wouldn't be good for him!

Best suggestion: Visit the shelter and see what the kitty's personality is like. Explain to them your situation, and let them know what kind of kitty you're looking for. :)

Edited to add: In looking at each of their profiles, I think Bradley would be a wonderful match, with him beind declawed, it really gives your boy more security.

Speakling of Security: I really think she's beautiful! And with her deadline coming up fast, I worry for her.

But...I have to ask: who does YOUR heart go out to? Any one kitty in particular?

Thanks, Rosie.

There are three boys I've been looking at. Two of them are already declawed and at the same shelter. That will be the first place I look.

Yeah...that's a good thought. I think another declawed boy would be the way to go...the two combined...male and declawed. That's not to say I agree with declawing, but with your poor boy having been declawed by a prev. owner, I think another that's already declawed is the way to go! :)

Yer a smart Mama! :D

Personally we have 2 boys and 2 girls and the male and female relationship works a lot better than the male male. I have also found this with my other friends that have multi cat households - hope that helps

If it were me I would pick Bailey - the reason being that black cats are the hardest to re-home, there are more black cats in shelters than any other colour as people find them visually "boring" - if you home her then not only are you giving her a new start but you are probably saving her life too. - In England black cats are considered lucky but in some cultures they are thought to be evil, which doesnt help them either. I have 2 black cats and they are both lovely lovely cats and SO sweet.

As far as the calico is concerned, there is a phrase often used to describe these cats, naughty tortie, I have a naughty tortie myself and she is sweet and funny but she lives up to the reputation LOL - So maybe not the best one if you are looking for someone a bit chilled and not someone feisty.

Bailey is really pulling at my heart, too. She has been there a while and she's older (5), but my Marley is going to be 7 in January, so it might be a good match. She's already declawed, too.

Snuggys Mom wrote:
Bailey is really pulling at my heart, too. She has been there a while and she's older (5), but my Marley is going to be 7 in January, so it might be a good match. She's already declawed, too.

Oh! I didn't see that about Bailey!! She's really pretty...:)

I say go for the one that calls out to ya...more often than not, that one's the one for you and for him! :)

Bambi Sunshine wrote:
If it were me I would pick Bailey - the reason being that black cats are the hardest to re-home, there are more black cats in shelters than any other colour as people find them visually "boring" - if you home her then not only are you giving her a new start but you are probably saving her life too. - In England black cats are considered lucky but in some cultures they are thought to be evil, which doesnt help them either. I have 2 black cats and they are both lovely lovely cats and SO sweet.

Good point...that is certainly the case here in the US...black cats aren't the first pick.

And I think Bailey looks like she could be a real sweetie...and her being declawed too...well, that looks like a match made in heaven! :)

Before I adopted Marley, hisgirlfriend of six years was a black female cat (I would have adopted her, too, but someone had already taken her).

I wonder if Bailey would make Marley miss his first love?

Looks like Bailey has been voted in :D "she's wonderful with other cats" :D:D:D:D - Black babies are the best; my charlie has been on TV twice in a magazine, he has 2 agents and is hopefully going to be taking part in a campaign to rehome black cats but most importantly he is the most loving little boy in the world and if there ever comes a time I decide to get another cat I will adopt a black rescue without hessitation. - she looks a little like my boy actually

5 isnt old in the slightest for a cat - my cat Beatrice lived to 21 - but some people want the youngest cat they can get :( I think that her odds of finding a home are stacked against her and it doesnt surprise me that she has been there the longest :grumpy: if she is in a kill shelter I would DEFENATLY go and get her because in your own way you are rescuing her from them - if that makes sense.

I also think she would be very happy to live with you and your family and have a very happy life.

If you need advice on introducing a second cat just let me know and I will give you all the advice you need - if you have MSN just PM me and I can send you my address

Alice

I have found that introducing two older cats sometimes isn't fun. Much like bonding bunnies they often hate each other at first sight. The ideal match would be male - female. If your boy used to be around other cats, and is socialized with other animals, I have faith he will be open to a new companion. Coming from a shelter and having them state thatBailey is good with other animals is a very good sign. Spend some time with the potential cats and choose one who you think will be a good fit. Be careful to introduce them on neutral ground, to avoid Marley being teritorial.

Bailey sure is a cutie!! Looks like a sweetheart too. :inlove:I hope all goes well!

Fluffy was 7 when we adopted Biscuit as a kitten. She hissed at her a few times at first and then I think her mothering instinct took over and she became the mama cat. Just after we adoptedBiscuit, Hooty "chose us." So she had to deal with two kittens at once, now they are inseperable. It really just depends on the individual cats personality.

Edited to add: Mine are all female..and spayed

P.s. I :heartsOrange Kitties!

Well, I found out Bradley and Tiger are in a free-roam cat house with eleven others. I'm sure they'll be just fine.

The two girls with the rescue won't be put down either, so I feel like I should go with Morris or Bailey.

I still have a feeling about Ms. Myrtle though. She just looks so sweet in her pictures.

Bambi Sunshine wrote:
Personally we have 2 boys and 2 girls and the male and female relationship works a lot better than the male male. I have also found this with my other friends that have multi cat households - hope that helps

As far as the calico is concerned, there is a phrase often used to describe these cats, naughty tortie, I have a naughty tortie myself and she is sweet and funny but she lives up to the reputation LOL - So maybe not the best one if you are looking for someone a bit chilled and not someone feisty.

Gotta' agree with this too. At our shelter, black cats are the hardest to place. We have so many that are there for life because no one will consider them. (http://www.stayawhilecatshelter.org) Sadly, most people who come to adopt will not consider a cat over the age of 3 yrs.

MYDH and I have owned cats for over forty years. In the past 25 yrs, we have concentrated on adopting and rescue of senior cats. Most of the cats we bring into our house are at least 10 years old. We have only had minor and short-lived problems bringing in adults to meet other adults. It's been much easier than trying to introduce young cats to the house. Most of the older cats are happy to have a place, full food bowl and a soft bed. Right now we have 17 cats - 12 are over the age of 10.

Introducing Sherman, the one year old Haley rescued in Michigan, has been much more difficult and time consuming. He was much more aggressive and intent on proving himself to be alpha cat. The more time that passes since his neuter, the better he behaves toward other cats.

Calico cats - my favorite. We have 5 - Charlotte, Nutmeg, Neko are bright calico's and Lacey and Jerri Harriet are dilute calico. They are daffy cats. Mallory, the tortie, is just plain nuts and hates other cats. All our torties have been high strung, although they have also been long-lived. Mallory is 16 years and Taz the tort died at age 22.

Good links on introducing new cats http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/pointe/9352/behavior.html

To sum it up - Bailey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why not get Ms. Myrtle too and have a 3-some?

Ooo three cats - what a fabulos idea -- then you can look forward to views like this

HPIM0401.jpg

Image141.jpg

Image109-1.jpg

Image056-4.jpg

1183834292_l.jpg

With an added bunny
l_fbd269e03208bc77a0f2c1d912c413fa.jpg

If not then I still have my heart set on Bailey for you :D

This is how special a black cat can be -- this isnt the best picture but it is Charlie out on one of his regular shopping trips that he LOVES

964873373_l.jpg

Nice pictures, Bambi Sunshine! :) What cuties!

I'd also like to see some pics of your kitties, SeniorCats! And Becknutt, too!

And I'd LOVE to see your Marley, Laura!

If you guys don't remember my sibling pair, here they are (Sunny and Hobbes, girl and boy, from the same litter):

100_0867.jpg

I have literally 100's of photos but they are not digital. I guess I shoukd figure out how to use the scanner in my copier or buy a digi cam. Better yet, just come visit and meet them 'in person'.

Those kitty in sweater pic's are priceless! The tortie is twin to my Mallory.

LOL My cat have full wardrobes and a pet stroller, shared with the bunnies of course, they are highly spoiled, especially Charlie

seniorcats wrote:
'.

Those kitty in sweater pic's are priceless! The tortie is twin to my Mallory.

Latest posts

Back