The New TRUTH Plan

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are potential hazards like with human vaccinations, but less generally can go wrong.

The possible problem with myxi is just generally a localised reaction (it might get red and sore if not massaged after in injection properly) although it can make them feel a bit rough so lots of tempting with their favourite foods. I have seen a bunny where it obviously stung and so he scratched it and made 50p size wound, followed by a scab, so you would need to watch for that, and then act accordingly in that happened (i.e. bathing the area). I've personally never had a problem with the myxi at all and with all my buns we have gone through a lot of myxi vaccines.

The VHD jab can potentially have more problems, but given VHD can kill your bunny without you noticing they have it, it is worth it. It can give the 'Cylap limp' if it's the Cylap vaccine, but this should ease (there are two, Cylap and Lapinject). They can also get a localised reaction. I also had a bun who lost a lot of coat and went bald due to the vaccination (this only showed a week and a half after). All the problems I had with mine we worked out occured in the smaller buns, and now, for any rabbit under 1.7kg they get a half dose of the vaccination and that covers them the same as a full dose covers larger rabbits. We have not had any adverse reactions since sticking to this rule.

If they get a red, sore localised reaction you can use a smear of Sudacrem on the area and that should help.

The benefits outweigh the risks in both cases, you just have to give them some TLC the day of and the day after and make sure they are eating and pooing. The risks are far minimal compared to what the actual illnesses can do.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, I will make sure the vet massages it properly becuase mum said I might end up coming becuase we need to go to the doctors for me to get some medicine and we will go vets after then I will go to school.

You can also massage it yourself when you get home if you're not happy with what he does :) (That's what I do).

I would suggest getting a full check over (gut, chest, heart, ears, teeth, eyes, etc) and also getting him weighed too (and recording that weight yourself) if your vet doesn't do it. He SHOULD do all that, but sometimes you never know. It never hurts to know what needs to be done yourself.

The injection will be done in the scruff of the neck.

For the myxi 10% needs to be done not below the skin, but within the skin, so that might be done at the base of the ear, or just by pulling out the needle slightly. That depends on the vets preference.

Muffin just got his VHD jab (we can't get a myxo shot here, unfortunately) and they did it in the back leg. He was pretty subdued for a couple of days after, he didn't want to jump around or eat much, he just sat quietly and let me stroke him. I figure it's like when we have a flu jab-- sometimes you feel a bit low for a few days afterwards. It's worth it though!

I am sure it'll be alright. Mine had all their vaccinations except Asha who has only had Myxi so far. I didn't notice anything whatsoever. They took it as if nothing had happened. Didn't even whince at the jab

Dippy's been vaccinated! WOOOO!

He's got this really cool booklet thingy where they write each vaccination down in it and it has loads of rabbit leaflets and stuffn in it!

How cool!

Can they neuter and vaccinate at the same time?

And guess what they got Dippy mixed up with benjamin :grumpy: They thought he was Benjamin so they wrote his name on the health card and his breed - UGG

No, they won't neuter and vaccinate at the same time because a bun has to be 100% fit for vaccinations and if he has just been neutered he will definitely not be doing 100% well. They might vaccinate on the post op check if they do those.

Muffin update: He had his VHD shot on Saturday and was a bit quiet and subdued until this morning (Tuesday). Now he's running up and down his hutch! I think tonight we'll have a big run and play.

:bunnynurse:

Latest posts

Back