The Life & Times of Felix 'n' Clementine!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Felix is leaving some abnormally small poops around tonight. He's still eating and drinking, so hopefully it'll pass by morning. :pray: I'm going to offer him a bit more parsley before bed to help too.

I gave them both a handful of extra parsley last night, which they both ate with gusto. :)

I only had a moment to check on them before work, but both were nomming on hay, and I could see at least one pile of healthy poops in the litter box. I'll be able to check on Felix closer tonight, but his behaviour seemed normal, so I'm feeling positive about it.

I created an instagram account for the bunnies! There's a lovely instagram community of bunny rabbit (and other small animals, like ferrets and chinchillas) instagram accounts, so you can find them at @felixnclembunnies if you want to follow up on them!

I'm still a little worried about the buns' poops, but their appetites are normal, they're drinking and eating normally, behaviorally they seem the same... I guess I'll monitor it for a while.

Tonight I was watching videos of people picking their bunnies up. The rabbits were so calm! Whenever I start to try and pick up Felix or Clem, the moment they recognise the feeling of my hand underneath their torso, they freak out and run off!

Haha! I've spent many showers wondering how those video people got their buns to be so good. Merlin struggles and Sashanaja takes off like a bullet.. it's a literal two-man job to pick those guys up for anything.

Did you recently open a new bag of hay? I've noticed different hay affects Merlin's poop size. I used to get feed store meadow hay and Merlin had nice big poops, but since I switched to this local meadow hay from a farm, Merlin's poop has gotten maybe 25% smaller, although he still eats the same amount of hay. He's still healthy as a horse though, so as long as the poop looks decent, not too dry, not too damp, not too few, I wouldn't be too worried about minor fluctuations in size.

I did, actually. :) That's a good point.

Here's a little bit of Felix from today. :)

tumblr_n441y96DSP1qadoszo1_500.jpg

tumblr_n44298CMDf1qadoszo1_500.jpg

tumblr_n442upqZF51qadoszo1_500.jpg

Those few white chest hairs of his are pretty prominent! :p

I've been working on getting him more comfortable being picked up. I was able to successfully pick him up today, although he did resist a lot beforehand - I had to firmly hold his midsection and keep his feet close to the ground, to avoid him kicking too hard and hurting himself. I got him off the ground successfully, and he sat still, but when I tried to stand up he freaked out and scratched me a lot! I ended up putting him back down and he flicked his feet away from me angrily afterwards, but I feel like we're making progress. I'm now starting to get him more comfortable with my hands near his midsection and behind, so he won't immediately start to run off the minute it seems like I'm going to pick him up.

Clementine's been in a bit of a mood lately, so I'm not going to try getting her more comfortable with being held yet. She's become a bit withdrawn, and doesn't really want to be pet as much, unless she's got her head smooshed next to Fee's and is in the right mood. She seems alright otherwise, and she's around 5-6 months now, so I'm assuming it's just some hormonal behaviour. I'll have to get her spayed soon, but I'm dreading it. I was such a wreck when Felix was neutered and spaying is so much more invasive. :( I need to get her vaccinated as well, so I'll do it all at once. I'm concerned about having to confine her space for so long afterwards, too; I'm sure she won't enjoy that at all.

He is such a handsome boy, I just love his little face. They do get used to being handled. Mine tolerate it now for a little and let you know when they've had enough. Bandy is great now, all the treatment, handling to inject and cleaning the abscess have made him really easy to handle now.

Thanks, Chris! :)

The bunnies are a bit unhappy with mama right now. :( We practiced handling again tonight. I was able to successfully hold both of them for a few minutes each(!) and reward both of them with a treat, but I got a bit scratched up and they both gave me the ol' leg flick after I put them down. Felix made some high-pitched noises, sort of like wheezing I guess, which concerned me, but he's stopped now. He was only doing it while I was holding him so maybe it was a scared noise. They were both a bit off their greens tonight, but ate some up and ate some carrot too, so I'm not overly concerned. I did feed them right after holding them both, so perhaps they're just a bit overwhelmed/upset from that still.

It's tough - I hate intentionally scaring and upsetting them, but I can't clip their nails, couldn't syringe feed if I had to, etc. - and sometimes I just want to cuddle my babies. It's a terrible feeling chasing them and having them so scared of me, but I keep telling myself it's for the best, because it's best if I can easily handle them whenever necessary. It's a step to get them more comfortable but argh! I can't help feeling guilty, and worrying that I'm hurting them, etc. :( for example when Felix was making the wheezing noises, and after I first almost picked him up and he jumped away, and then sat still the second time, I was really worried I'd grabbed him too hard and hurt his poor little insides. I just need to remind myself that they're delicate, but not TOO delicate. They can look after themselves.

Last edited:
Rosebun used to make wheezing noises when we gave him butt baths. I figure it's fear too. Poor you! I'm so scared of being bitten that I nearly always ask hubby to pick the bunnies up for me - and then HE gets bitten, and I feel so bad.

I can totally relate to hating to chase them and letting that discourage you from handling them. Don't know if this would help, but - I find it's easier to pick them up without the chasing part when there's something holding their attention. What do Felix and Clem get intense about? For Merlin, it's food. Put some yummy treat food just out of reach and he'll be so occupied trying to get it that you can swoop in and grab him quite easily. For Sasha, it's when she bunloafs for pets, but you have to first pet her into relaxation and very quickly pick her up.

Takes practice to perfect and still doesn't have a 100% success rate, but it's much better than chasing em down!

That makes me feel a bit better, Laura. :) Thank you.

Thankfully, my two aren't big biters. Their scratches are more of a concern for me. I need to pick them up to cut their nails, but it's hard because their nails are so long that they scratch me! It's a vicious circle!

Not a good night. :( Already frustrated about some things happening at home, and both the bunnies are running from me in terror any time it looks like I might pick them up. I don't know what to do. They're going to hate me if I keep going. :(

tumblr_n4bjudlCxi1qadoszo1_500.jpg

A ferocious Felix yawn!

tumblr_n4bjy8SlFW1qadoszo1_500.jpg

This appears to be her 'safe space'...
She tends to run back there and spend time alone after I pick her up.
I guess it's okay, but I hate the idea that I'm making her so uncomfortable.
:(

I laughed at that yawn, you were so lucky to capture it. Clem is so adorable, sometimes, they just like a safe corner to retire to, I suppose sometimes we are a bit scary :p

Poor little Clem is still a bit upset with me. Not very accepting of pets, and retreats to her safe spot all the time. :(

Maybe you could try rewarding them each with a small treat after handling them?

Have you tried wearing a hoodie or other long sleeved shirt when picking them up? That might help with being scratched.

I don't really mind the scratches. :p I tend to wear long sleeves when I hold them, but they still manage to get my hands/wrist/neck at times!

Ick - I found a small bug in their pellets earlier this week, discarded that part I was feeding them, but saw no more so kept feeding them from that bag. Now I found TWO more in the lot they were eating today!! I'm freaking out that maybe the bugs laid eggs in those pellets. A bun's digestive system moves quite fast, right? If there were eggs/bugs in that batch of food, should I be doing anything special for them? :blink:

Yuck! It shouldn't hurt the bunnies to ingest bug eggs though, I'd imagine the stomach acids would kill it quite quickly. I'd be more concerned they might get bitten by the bugs while they eat. Just examine the pellets before you give it to them and remove any bugs. :)

Back