The Happy Bunny Family

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love reading your blog! All of your bunnies (and birdies) seem so super sweet! I have one lionhead (new bunny owner) and am adoringgg these Holland & Mini Lops! Lovveee!!! We really can't get any more animals right now, but a girl can dream, right? ;) I wouldn't want to introduce a new bun this early anyway, we've only had Levi for a few months and need to get him neutered next month. :) But we're taken with him! :D So.. Love getting to see all your buns and now I'm excited for the fair to come to town! Ha! My poor hubby! ;) Also, looove your crocheted stuffies! Was it difficult for you to learn to crochet? How long have you been doing it? I tried knitting but it was soo difficult for me.. and I got pretty good on my "samples" with few errors but now I've forgotten how to even do it! Not quite like riding a bicycle! Haha! I sew & hand embroider, which is my outlet, but I looove the look of crocheted stuff! And having a 1 year old daughter.. who wouldn't want to crochet stuffies?! ;)

Sorry for the long post! Just got excited, I guess!! :p

Meg

Hi there Meg, I'm glad you like my blog :D Love your bunnies name! How did he get the middle name Abner? Glad to see that other bunnies have middle names. All of mine have middle and last names except Kerensa for some reason. I know it sounds silly but I do call them by their full name on occasion so it's convenient :D

I really like crocheting. I learned to knit first and can only cast on, knit and purl. Always have to have someone else cast off. Crocheting is easier. Your whole piece doesn't unravel if you drop a stitch and you can even kinda make up your own stitches. I've made the elephant and lion that you can see in the pictures, a stuffed bunny, and am currently working on a bigger stuffed bunny. I've also made Christmas ornaments. Last year I crocheted Christmas cupcakes for my female relatives and I wasn't there for Christmas but my mom said they were a big hit and I have requests to make more this year :D

This book doesn't look fancy and it's almost more like a thick magazine than a book, but it's the best book I've found that explains how to crochet and how to do stitches and stuff:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1601400896/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! His name(s) are both Biblical references. Levi means "attached" in Hebrew, and "Abner" means Father is Light in Hebrew. When we first got him we went on vacation (he was a happy accident) for my daughter's first birthday (back home to North Carolina) and our friends that were watching him called him Abner the whole week! They still call him Abner. ;) So, to compromise, I decided it could be his middle name. :p It fits him! My dogs also have "full" names.. and I also call them all by their full names on occasion! My male Chihuahua's name is "Ernesto Gustifur (Goose-tifur)" aka Goose, and my female Toy Fox Terrier's name is Junipur Louise aka Joon. ;) Then they of course have their variations of that name.. haha! :D

When I was trying to get into knitting, I learned to cast on, knit... and was attempting purl but wasn't quite getting the hang of it. I could cast off (someone showed me an easy way) but my samples always looked curved cus the cast off was loose and the cast on was tight! Haha, danget! I then started to sew and have been hooked on that ever since. I would like to learn to crochet though! I will definitely check out that "magazine"! I have lots of yarn that needs to be turned into baby stuffies. ;)

Thanks Shiloh! :D

What all do you sew, Meg? I'm not very good at sewing but I try. "Sew" far (ha!) I have made a regular baby quilt, a rag baby quilt (for the baby of a fellow bunny forum member!), a good number of hammocks for my ratties, a laundry bag, curtains, a couple little pillows, a little pillow case dress, a dolly night gown, and a kind of failed pair of doll shorts. I also made 2 pairs of human sized PJs and 3 pairs of PJ pants but those were with my mom's help. The things I sew best are those with straight lines that don't actually need patterns :D Patterns confuse me! I'm actually working on a quilted table runner right now. Bought the fabric last weekend, cut it the day before yesterday, pinned it last night, and tonight I'm going to sew the squares together. I am making this pattern: http://www.spoolsewing.com/blog/2008/11/11/tricky-tablerunner/comment-page-1/#comment-7039 Hopefully it turns out nicely!

Oh my, it sounds like you are far more advanced than I am! I really haven't tried many patterns because they confuse me too. Tutorials are way easier! Particularly the step-by-step with pictures kind. ;) I have sewn a couple of 1/2 aprons (one gardening one for a 6 year old's birthday, one cooking one for an 8 year old's birthday + chef hat :D ), baby blanket, rag quilt little mini blanket (so my daughter doesn't drag it around the church and stuff, yuck!), stuffed animals, a tiered gathered skirt for my daughters birthday, a pennant banner with her name and "happy birthday" on it, a birthday hat, burb cloths & bibs... mostly kid/baby stuff! I'm sure there's more that I've done.. hmm. I would LOVE to learn how to quilt, but I'm not a super accurate "cutter", so I don't know if it would be for me. I need to take a class soon! Haha! My favorite thing to do is to sew for my daughter. I'm planning on making her a crib ruffle soon (I tore her old one a part cus I decided I didn't really care for it that much!) I sooo need to do some dolly clothes. My daughter's "baby" has the ratty old outfit that came on her and I just can't figure out what to make. Haha! I'd rather spend my $ on something other than purchasing a pattern, too. That table runner looks gorgeous and so much fun! You will have to send me some pics when you get it all sewn up! (And let me know how easy/hard it was). So pretty!

How is your Neddie doing? I hope he is feeling better! I have been praying for the little guy. <3

Meg

Doodlebug is doing pretty well! He liked his new medicine a lot until last night, when he took 3/4 of the dose and then decided it was the devil. Unfortunately, he can't just decide not to take his medicine, so I had to make him take it :( Sorry Neddie Boo :( I'm going to be out of town as of Thursday and won't be back until the very end of August so hope my husband and friend take good care of my bun buns!

WabbitDad, I'm glad you found my bunny blog and like it :D

Meg, sounds like you've made cool stuff! The key thing for mine is that the lines are straight :D I actually really like making quilts and stuff even though I don't have much experience. The first little quilt I made you can see in the background of the picture of Phoebe Mae on the first page. I didn't even make it for anyone else's baby, just wanted to make a quilt and wanted it to be small so I made a baby quilt! I guess I'll use it if I ever have a human baby girl. Here's a bigger picture of it, my mother-in-law said it's not a real quilt because it only has 9 squares but I disagree!

IMG_0527resizd.jpg

And here's the quilt I made for another forum member's baby last year before I clipped all the seams:

IMG_2295resized.jpg

It's all flannel and turned out very thick and warm. My least favorite part of making anything is cutting out the darned fabric and rag quilts need 3 squares cut out for each square (top, middle and back) so I don't think I'm going to make tons of rag quilts even though it was fun :)

Last night I made the top for my table runner. Didn't turn out perfectly but I refused to let myself be too fussy with it because I'm a perfectionist when it comes to such things and that detracts from my enjoyment big time. Today I plan to finish it up hopefully and will share the result then :)

Meg, if you want to make a quilt for your daughter (good place to start!), there are lots of online tutorials and books. I made the first baby quilt without reading anything about quilting.

And one last quilting thing before I turn this into an arts and crafts blog: This winter I'm going to make a Christmas quilt! So excited! Usually around Christmas I love to make lots of cookies and stuff but we're trying to get away from too many desserts. Making desserts and the like is a big part of the holiday for me though and I decided that maybe making a quilt could take its place. I made up my own pattern and want to use all of these fabrics except the Tree Trimmers one (not because I don't like it, just because from a distance it looks like a couple of the others and I couldn't think up a pattern that looks good with 8 prints): http://www.fabric.com/CategoryDetail.aspx?CategoryID=e077c112-87d1-4569-9cfb-d7fa737f2626 Very excited, I love the fabric and the rather unexpected colors and can't wait to get started :D

In other non-bunny news, we were going to go to the fair again today. Paul thought today was the last day but I looked online and the last day was yesterday :( He said you got in free today but I have no idea where he got that from. I'm way more disappointed than you'd think an adult would be, probably because I was looking forward to it all week. Don't have any school to worry about for the time being (last week when we went I had my mind on the final and several papers I had to write still). It's a little thing but still :(

WOW Shiloh! I LOVE both of your quilts! You did a fantastic job! They both look so crisp! And your squares so even! I would have to disagree with your MIL as well. The first one is DEFINITELY a quilt in my eyes! I adore the little stitchings in the middle, i always love that look. I LOVE the country look of rag quilts as well, but I agree- so time consuming!! There has to be a more efficient way to cut! Haha! Cutting is my least favorite part as well. Even just cutting the seam allowances on the rag quilt.. yuck! :p I know what you mean about being a perfectionist. It's hard not to be! BUT, I am positive that your table runner is super adorable and that your hubby will not even notice the "imperfections" that you know about. Plus, it gives it character. It's not from a factory! :D
Oh, also, I LOVE Michael Miller fabrics! And that first one is my fave. Those cute little trees! Eeeek! Can not WAIT to see your Christmas quilt! The holidays are coming up soon! Exciteeddddd!!! <3

I'm so glad to hear that your little man is feeling better! It's always stressful to have a sick babe. I will also be praying for your trip and for your hubby/friend taking care of the little ones.

Aw, thanks for the compliments, Meg :D I'm going to wait until the stocking fabric is available again (it says the end of September) but then I'm going to get started right away! 3 months sounds like enough time to make a quilt in time for Christmas, what with school and everything else :)

Miss Mabel was a bunny ambassador again! We got new neighbors in the unit right next to us and we met them this evening. The neighbor in the third unit apparently told them we have rabbits because the girl's first question was if she could see one! So Paul brought out Mabel and the girl held her and gave her kisses and stuff. Then begged her boyfriend for a bunny and asked if she could have one of ours :D

I'm kind of uneasy about the neighbors knowing about our pets. Back a few months ago when the building was sold and we got new property managers, we were told we couldn't have any of our pets but they made an exception for us after coming out and inspecting their cages and stuff. The neighbors on the far end want a pit bull puppy now and I know they cited our rabbits and birds to the property managers as justification for getting a dog. Our year long lease is up this month and I'm kinda worried about them telling us we just need to move out because they want no animals in the units! Ack!

I know what you mean about the apartment and animals. We "only have" 1 dog.. Eeek. But it's ridiculous.. have to pay another $300 deposit (1/2 refundable) and another $30/month to have just one more animal? There is NOTHING, and I mean NOOOTHING in this apartment that is worth $600. And my animals are very well behaved. Also, Levi generally pees on my couch if anything, and that's none of their concern. ;)

I'm trying not to worry too much about it. We told them we'd pay "pet rent" and an extra deposit but they said it's fine. We live in a triplex and the middle unit has been empty since April (well, until neighbors moved in last weekend) and the far end unit was empty from April until about a month ago. They'd probably rather keep us than ditch us and have to find someone new to rent to, especially if we're willing to pay pet rent. Today I'm going to call the property manager and ask about signing another year long lease. I'm kinda nervous!

We've been keeping Ned's food in a separate bag in case the germs causing his ear infection could be spread to the other bunnies. Unfortunately, last night I couldn't tell which bag belonged to Ned and which one was for the other bunnies because the levels of food were the same. I didn't want to risk exposing the other bunnies to his cooties but it was too late to go buy pellets :( I fed them hay and decided to stay up all night so I could go to Petco as soon as they opened and get food.

I love my bunnies so much that I was willing to drive to the pet store by myself. I know that for NORMAL people driving to Petco isn't a big deal, but I finally got my driver's license last month at the age of 26. Driving is pretty much my least favorite thing to do and it makes me very anxious. The drive to Petco this morning was only the third time I've ever driven alone if you can believe it, and I spent all weekend driving around with Paul in his Explorer which handles very differently from my car so that made it a bit extra nerve wracking.

Ended up taking a really weird route to get there (and at one point while waiting at an intersection I was in a lane that I wasn't sure was right turn only or straight also) and some weird dude in a giant truck did an entire loop through a roundabout, then pulled in behind me and followed me. Twice he pulled off onto side roads only to pop up behind me again. It was kind of creepy. I did get to Petco though, got what I needed, $60 was spent on pellets and litter, got home, and everyone is chowing down now :) And I am TIRED!

Sorry my blog seems to have veered off into some not bunny related things!

Awww! What a dedicated Mommy you are! I'm proud of you for venturing out on your own! I honestly can relate!! I HATE to drive, and when I lived in NC I walked to work (it was a Vet Clinic at the end of our street!), when I moved to AZ my boyfriend (now hubby) would pick me up (we lived seperately until we got married) and take me to work.. finally, he had to go to a conference with the church and we either had to rent a car or buy a car. The smarter option is to buy for us! (He has a manual drive car and I wasn't about to risk that!).. I still rarely go places but it is always very nerve-wracking for me to do things on my own. Self conscious? Anxious? I know those feelings! Also, Sorry for helping you to veer off onto not bunny related topics. ;)

The more you/we drive on our own, the more we'll get used to it and it won't be SUCH a big deal. But I feel like it will always be a slightly stessful ordeal, especially trying to drive places I've never been. Yikes!

Hopefully Nedzilla will be completely healed soon so you don't have to worry about whether or not the other kiddos are gonna catch something from him! :D

Thanks, guys! We will have snow in the ground in about 6 weeks which means 7 or 8 months of icy roads. Paul is reluctant about letting me drive at all this winter. I'm trying to get in lots of practice while the roads are good. I decided to only drive my car from now on because switching back and forth between a little bitty Saturn and a great big Explorer messes me up since they're so different. When it gets icy, I want to take another driving lesson with the driving school I went to this summer. The student driver car has a break on the passenger's side :D

Hey, I think I figured out the color of Maximus's markings :D Thought maybe he was a broken tort but his markings are darker and more brown (but still reddish) than Phoebe Mae's. I think he's a broken castor! With pretty blue eyes and white ears :) And Miss Macie is obviously a broken black.

Lookit, I finished my table runner!

IMG_6566.jpg

IMG_6572.jpg

The reddish looking fabric is orange. It turned out decently overall! Not perfect, but I wouldn't let myself stress over making everything perfect. Next time I would use the orange for the tiny squares and the purple floral for the big squares. Also in the first picture, the turquoise floral strip on the left at the front is not cut crooked, it just looks like it in the picture.

Opinions? :)

Holy Guacamole Shiloh! You've outdone yourself!! This is amaaazing!!! You've inspired me to do something quilty next time I have a "free project time". Too many birthdays and such coming up! Okay, I'm definitely going to post a "crafty" topic in the "Let your Hare Down" section! Eeeeeek! Also, I LOOOVE the orange fabric. So stinkin' cute! What did your hubby say?? Gosh, that's fantastic. :biggrin2:

Meg

Latest posts

Back