The Happy Bunny Family

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wabbit Dad, I think you're right. She was a very special girl. I think part of why I got SO attached to her so quickly (aside from her amazing personality) was that she was almost always sick and she needed me. And I think part of why I was so devastated when she died is that she was just 7 months old and I felt like her life was stolen away from her. Plus she was finally healthy and had been for at least a month, I thought we were out of the woods. Also even though I was in regular contact with her breeder, her breeder neglected to tell me until AFTER Lula died that every single baby bunny born after Tallulah had died of coccidiosis which is what Lu struggled with. They all died at much younger ages than her (like a couple of months) and if I'd known this, I would have been way on top of things when she started having a tiny bit of tummy trouble a couple days before she died. She regularly had little intestinal issues and had been much, much worse than that several times before and got better so her minor tummy upset did not concern me excessively.

I loved Cinnabun just as much as her but he lived to 7 years and was a little old man bunny when he died. She was just a little baby.

And Skyler was a little different because he had EC and we knew a good 6 months ahead of time that he would die from it. His death was very sad but I was prepared and very, very grateful that he didn't suffer much before dying which happens to a lot of EC bunnies.

You've had so many bunnies and seen so many die, were some deaths harder for you than others?

That is horrible that you had a breeder who wouldn't be honest with you from the start :( -- I had one (but for cats) who refused to acknowledge a heart condition in the cat she sold me, demanded the body for autopsy (that was awful), then refused to give me the results... more worried about her pedigree than actually having feelings and being human.

Even though some time has passed, it still hurts. I'm sorry you had to go through all that. Sadly, eventually they will all pass away. You can take heart knowing that they received the best care and led happy lives while here.

On a happier note, I entered Kerensa into the Bun Space photo contest with this picture:

IMG_5108JPGresized.jpg

There are so many adorable bunnies entered! Does anyone else tend to prefer bunnies that look like their own? I swear, 20 years from now I'm going to have bunnies that look like the ones we have right now because I'm drawn to bunnies that look like the ones I love already! There are several Rory look alikes, including one incredibly precious guy on the first page eating hay out of a stocking. Only problem is that his toe nails are way, WAY overgrown :tears2: I want to PM his owner and tell them to clip his nails!!

I just want to squeeze your sweet sweet bunny!

do you have a link to the contest? I would love to see some more adorable buns! I'm really into photography... now you've given me some ideas. Oh Ellie! hehe

I got a couple of quick pictures of Maximus, Mabel and Neddie! This is the first year I haven't done photos of the other buns. I may do it tomorrow, I didn't want Max and Mabel not to have pictures on their first Christmas so did a quick photoshoot. And tossed in a picture of Ned getting a cookie! I promise he's never had a cookie before and didn't get the whole thing (small, not very sweet cookie to start with). He loves food so it seemed like the perfect little Christmas present for him :)

IMG_7583JPGcropped.jpg

"I hope your Christmas is maximally fun!"

IMG_7596JPGresized.jpg

"May bells ring merrily on your Christmas!"

IMG_7617JPGcropped.jpg

Neddie's Christmas wish coming true.

Sorry about the terrible puns with Maximus and Mabel's names, I'm tired :D

Great pictures!

Yes, the loss of some bunny's were easier then others. I will still get sad when pictures pop up on my screensaver of certain bunny's. Gets a little easier as time goes on, but they will always have a special place in my heart.

Vivian, I'm so glad you like the cake- have you made it many times yet?

Bunny update! Everyone's doing well, though Rory had me panicked this morning when he was acting weirdly. I think he's fine though, thank goodness!

We got a foster bunny on January 2nd. She's Max and Macie's mama. Paul named her Nomi after a Star Wars character. I put an ad for her on Craigslist and here on the forum and only one person has been interested in her so far, I talked to her on the phone and she said she'd call back but hasn't. Nomi is a very good bunny though. She's the biggest bunny we have- in the 5 pound range! She's very smart too and loves to play and be petted. The other day she bit me when I was feeding her but it only happened the once, hopefully it isn't a habit!

Here's Miss Nomi:

IMG_7719.jpg

If we haven't found her a home by the time Max and Macie have recovered from their surgeries, we want to see if we can try to form a trio with all 3 bunnies! How sweet would that be- Mommy and babies together again?

Maximus, Mabel and Kerensa are all scheduled to be fixed on January 17th. I get very nervous when my bunnies get surgery so we decided to just get them all done at once. Hopefully it all goes well!

Paul and I were talking tonight and came to the conclusion that if our bunnies had their own kingdom, Nomi would be the kind, intelligent and slightly mischievous queen, Rory would be the evil magician, Ned would be the court jester, Phoebe Mae would be the slightly crazy sister of the queen, and Kerensa, Mabel and Maximus would be the princesses and prince. What a fun kingdom that would be!

Hi again, yes, I've made your cake some times and it's always delicious, I always spread the recipe because it's so easy and it gets so good! Btw, I guess I didn't comment before, but I love the xmas pics of your babies!! And I like the puns too.. hehe
Let us know how it goes with all the 3 bunnies having a surgery. I hope all gos well and they get back to normal very soon!
:pray::pray::pray:
Your bunnies are adorable, very very very beautiful!

Just dropped my babies off at the vet!! I hope they'll be okay! The vet said to expect a call at around noon, so 3 hours from now.

Then when we got home I went to pet Rory but he moved at the last second and I ended up poking him in the eye while simultaneously shocking him. Oops, poor guy! It's so cold and dry here that we get static shocks all the time- just petting the bunnies leads to zaps. As in, you can hear crackling static while petting them and if the lights are off you can see the flashes!

Oh Shiloh, I wish I found your blog earlier
in my arrival to this site! Your blog is just
the cutest thing ever!

I haven't finished reading all the pages yet
as I'm out of time but I wanted to leave you
a comment to tell you that I really admire
your blog and the first page made me feel
SO fuzzy inside when I saw the picture of
you and your bun in the T-shirt pocket!
So Gosh Darn cute! :)

You make me smile! Thanks for having a blog!

I'm new here so have been exploring and came upon your blog. Thanks for sharing your experience and your buns. I'm looking forward to reading more.

Absolute love Ned. What a sweetie he is.

Hoping everyone is well after the Vet visit.

K

Hi ZRabbit and MCatCar! How cool that you're checking out my bunny blog :) Glad to hear you both like it!

The bun buns are all doing well. Max, Macie and Kerensa are recovering nicely from their surgeries. Maximus has been acting like nothing happened ever since the day after the surgery and the girls are going out about business as usual now, too. They've all been getting Metacam each day but I decided that last night would be Max's last dose unless he acts uncomfortable. Kerensa and Macie will still get it for a couple more days at least. And I'm going to wait at least another week before putting the shelves back in their cages.

Here's poor Kerensa after we got them home, doesn't she look completely out of it? Thankfully she's back to her regular self now, though her face still has dried ointment on it so she looks kinda greasy!

IMG_7786.jpg

Miss Nomi seems to like it here. She is such a fun bunny! Very into toys. She spends so much time flinging around toys and chewing on them. Last night I gave her a phone book with the covers ripped off and now she's torn about 100 pages out of it! Her entire crate is layered with paper now, she installed her own carpeting :D She seems very smart to us, too. Somehow she keeps figuring out how to get behind our couch even though I have it blocked off! She's also getting quite accustomed to us, which is nice. No more biting either since that one time a week or so ago. And so far only one person has been interested in adopting her but they never called me back :( I'll continue to update her Craigslist ad.

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Hi ZRabbit and MCatCar! How cool that you're checking out my bunny blog :) Glad to hear you both like it!

The bun buns are all doing well. Max, Macie and Kerensa are recovering nicely from their surgeries. Maximus has been acting like nothing happened ever since the day after the surgery and the girls are going out about business as usual now, too. They've all been getting Metacam each day but I decided that last night would be Max's last dose unless he acts uncomfortable. Kerensa and Macie will still get it for a couple more days at least. And I'm going to wait at least another week before putting the shelves back in their cages.

Miss Nomi seems to like it here. She is such a fun bunny! Very into toys. She spends so much time flinging around toys and chewing on them. Last night I gave her a phone book with the covers ripped off and now she's torn about 100 pages out of it! Her entire crate is layered with paper now, she installed her own carpeting :D She seems very smart to us, too. Somehow she keeps figuring out how to get behind our couch even though I have it blocked off! She's also getting quite accustomed to us, which is nice. No more biting either since that one time a week or so ago. And so far only one person has been interested in adopting her but they never called me back :( I'll continue to update her Craigslist ad.

:wave: Thanks for the update. Glad to hear Max, Macie and Kerensa are recovering nicely from their surgery. Poor girls go through so much more than boys.

Hoping you find Miss Nomi a forever home. Someone will be very lucky to get her after your TLC. And you are even teaching her a occupation, laying carpet. lol She's a lucky bunny. You see her intelligence and are giving her some stimulation which is very healthy. Hope this update brings someone special for this fun bunny.

K :)

Just saw Kerensa's pic. Poor sweetie. Regarding the gunk, it does take time for it to come out of their fur. Dobby looked a mess for some time.

Dave, that's how I captioned the photo elsewhere :D Poor girly!

So, Paul has a really bad cold and has been sleeping downstairs on the couch so he doesn't make me sick (I go to bed quite a bit earlier than him so this was the most practical solution). Kerensa's cage is in front of the window and Paul says that at night when the lights are off, the glow of the street lamps comes through the window and makes Kerensa cast a giant ominous shadow on the other wall. Creepy Kerensa stalks Paul in his sleep :shock: I can't imagine anything more terrifying!

I was volunteering at an elementary school today and went into a kindergarten classroom with a teacher. Out of the corner of my eye I saw something move and I looked and it was a BUNNY! I tried not to squeal but was only partly successful. He was so, so cute. A Holland Lop from Kerensa's breeder! The teacher has his cage on the floor and he just hops around the classroom all day long. He was soooo adorable!!

Have I become a crazy bunny lady? When I tell people how many rabbits we have, their jaws drop and they look at me like I'm nuts. But I love and treasure all of our bunnies. They're all spoiled and well taken care of and happy and healthy. I wouldn't want to be without any of my babies. When Max, Macie and Kerensa were at the vet it was so weird having them gone! I was so happy when they were back home. I know it sounds like a lot of bunnies, but they're all individuals and to me it doesn't feel like we have tons of them. They're family members and they definitely make my life brighter.

Latest posts

Back