swine flu

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NetherlandDwarf wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090429/ap_on_he_me/ml_egypt_swine_flu

I thought this was a bit extreme, Egypt ordered all pigs to be slaughtered :(
Wow! I would expect that they would (hopefully) slaughter the pigs in Mexico that have been affected, to prevent them from spreading it to other pigs and humans. Strange that they're doing it in an area who has not even seen the disease yet though.

irishlops wrote:
3 more found in u.k. positive
12 yr old devon, london adult and west midlands.
its called a posibile panidemic in uk.
-----------------------------------------
but, hey its not slowing down in uk.
typing as um the people talk on the news.
were near 5 and 6 is highest.
---------------------------------------
WHAT WHAT WHAT :nerves1:nerves1:nerves1:nerves1 :nerves1 :nerves1 :nerves1 :nerves1 :nerves1 :nerves1 :nerves1

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
NetherlandDwarf wrote:

Wow! I would expect that they would (hopefully) slaughter the pigs in Mexico that have been affected, to prevent them from spreading it to other pigs and humans. Strange that they're doing it in an area who has not even seen the disease yet though.
its not spread by PIGS! ok. its spraed by humans.
leave the pigs out of it

Becca wrote:
irishlops wrote:
3 more found in u.k. positive
12 yr old devon, london adult and west midlands.
its called a posibile panidemic in uk.
-----------------------------------------
but, hey its not slowing down in uk.
typing as um the people talk on the news.
were near 5 and 6 is highest.
---------------------------------------
WHAT WHAT WHAT :nerves1:nerves1:nerves1:nerves1 :nerves1 :nerves1 :nerves1 :nerves1 :nerves1 :nerves1 :nerves1
becca. uk is the most prepared. and all are being treated. really i am getting really annoyed by you over reacting.
(no offence, im jut like that as a person. so dont take it personally)

Becca wrote:
ANd I'm not over reacting!!! Its spreading fast!!!
Hopefully this will make u feel a little bit better

Now that the swine-flu virus seems well established in human beings, containment is no longer an option. The public health response must be to slow the spread, which means getting a better handle on the virus. While the difference in severity between Mexico and U.S. cases would suggest that there are different viruses affecting the two countries, researchers have genetically sequenced swine-flu viruses from both Mexican and American victims, and "we see no difference in the viruses infecting sick people and less-sick people," said Fukuda. And even if there were genetic differences, it wouldn't necessarily mean much — scientists still don't know exactly which genes do what on flu viruses.

The Mexican deaths may also be attributable to some underlying coinfection or health problem that is simply not present in the U.S. cases — but that will require more investigation to uncover.

It's also possible that A/H1N1 began life in Mexico especially virulent — that country has apparently been grappling with the virus for weeks longer than the U.S. has — and evolved to become less dangerous by the time it crossed the border.

The WHO, however, says that so far the virus appears to have stayed relatively stable during the chains of transmission, so it may not be mutating much.

irishlops wrote:
OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
NetherlandDwarf wrote:

leave the pigs out of it
It IS spread by pigs. Swine flu is a respiratory illness in swine. Apparently, it's not all that uncommon, but it usually doesn't affect humans. This time it has. So, it would be in the animal's best interest to get rid of those carrying it so it doesn't spread to others. And also in the human caretaker's best interest since it will prevent humans from attracting, carrying, and spreading this strain.

pinksalamander wrote:
Becca wrote:
ANd I'm not over reacting!!! Its spreading fast!!!

Becca, you are over reacting. Be rational. Remember when bird flu came around and you were on here saying you were worried you were gonna die? Well it didn't happen. Don't worry!
I keep telling her the same thing over MSN but she's not listening well.

The child who died in the US was from Mexico and was getting treatment. The news said so itself. So don't freak out or anything, the person died here but was from Mexico.

irishlops wrote:
OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
NetherlandDwarf wrote:

leave the pigs out of it

It CAN be spread by pigs. At this point, it very well could be coming from pigs in Mexico to people and then from person to person. ;)

Emily

I just heard on the radio that during a normal flu season, 69,000 people (in the US) die from the flu each year. So unless this swine flu outbreak mutates to become more dangerous than it is now, I'm not going to worry too much.

From what I've heard, the "regular" flu this year was pretty nasty, I knew a couple people who were sick for over a week with it last month.

I am usually pretty good about washing my hands frequently, anyway. I got out my Burt's Bees hand sanitizer spray, and I've been using it periodically at work. Also trying not to touch my face more than I need to.

Plus, between the swine flu and the violent drug gangs, I may never go to Mexico now!

BSAR wrote:
The child who died in the US was from Mexico and was getting treatment. The news said so itself. So don't freak out or anything, the person died here but was from Mexico.
Exactly.

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
irishlops wrote:
OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
NetherlandDwarf wrote:

leave the pigs out of it

It CAN be spread by pigs. At this point, it very well could be coming from pigs in Mexico to people and then from person to person. ;)

Emily
Irish is CAN be spread by pigs. The epicenter of all of this is a small pig raising town in Mexico. They thought it was rare to pass from human to human but this disease is a mix of the bird flu and the regular flu so it is spreading with humans.

The swine flu did originate from pigs. But it is much more likely for a person to get it from another person, than it is to get it from a pig. You'd have to be living in really close contact with infected animals, and then there would have to be some contact that would be conducive to spreading the flu virus. Like, if you touched fluids from a sick pig, then touched your mouth or nose, or if you were in close daily contact with sick pigs. But then it can spread quickly from person to person; maybe you shake hands with someone who has it, then touch your mouth; or someone sick is close to you and sneezes towards you without covering their mouth. Then it could be spread to many people.

A country ordering all pigs slaughtered is really over-reacting. Only a small percentage of the pigs might be sick, and getting sick from them is not very likely.

Killing all the pigs because one might have swine flu, and someone might get it from the pig is like never going outside your house, because you might get hit by a car. Sure, it can happen, but the chances are low. Also, if pigs are such a high flu hazard, there never would have been a pork industry.

Scientists believe that somewhere in the world, months or even a year ago, a pig virus jumped to a human and mutated, and has been spreading between humans ever since. Unlike with bird flu, doctors have no evidence suggesting a direct pig-to-human infection from this strain, which is why they haven't recommended killing pigs.

Cordova has suggested the virus can be beaten if caught quickly and treated properly. But it was neither caught quickly nor treated properly in the early days in Mexico, which lacked the capacity to identify the virus, and whose health care system has become the target of widespread anger and distrust.

Swine flu has symptoms nearly identical to regular flu — fever, cough and sore throat — and spreads like regular flu, through tiny particles in the air, when people cough or sneeze. People with flu symptoms are advised to stay at home, wash their hands and cover their sneezes.
While epidemiologists stress it is humans, not pigs, who are spreading the disease

I was trying to find the article that i was reading earlier and it explained why there's so much media on the swine flu. It said why this could end up being pandemic was its a new virus, with the flu, people have built up immunities to help fight the flu. yes the regular flu kills thousands each year mainly effecting the elderly and people with weaker immune systems etc... thats why each flu season they stress for the elderly and anyone at risk to get their flu shots. Now with something new and very much unknowned theres many possiblities what could happen with the swine flu and no one has built up immunities to it because its new. So it got out of hand in Mexico because they lack the capacity to identify the virus.

NetherlandDwarf wrote:
Scientists believe that somewhere in the world, months or even a year ago, a pig virus jumped to a human and mutated, and has been spreading between humans ever since. Unlike with bird flu, doctors have no evidence suggesting a direct pig-to-human infection from this strain, which is why they haven't recommended killing pigs.
Agreed. It came from pigs at one point, but it's unlikely anyone's going to get sick from contact with a pig. And if they do, it's going to be something different, because it has mutated.

Millions of people worldwide died in 1918-20 from the "Spanish flu."
70,000 Americans died in 1957 from the "Asian flu."
33,000 Americans died in 1968-69 from the "Hong Kong flu."
There were swine flu outbreaks in the US in 1976 and 1988.
Part of life.

Wash your hands frequently; avoid crowded areas for now. Since the majority of cases reported are in Mexico right now, avoid unnecessary travel to Mexico. *shrug*

Latest posts

Back