swine flu

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BSAR wrote:
myLoki wrote:
BSAR wrote:
This is scaring me too.

But listen everyone the reason people in Mexico are dying and no one else is, and i think this was already mentioned but, Mexico is a third world country with crappy medical service and crappy disenfection stuff.

NO ONE is the US or anywhere else as far as I know has died yet. Only in Mexico, relax, if you do get it, which is probably like 1 in a 1 million or more!!

kk just my 2 cents

eta: Yesterday I was looking at stats and stuff about pandemics and the last one was in 1969ish, and it said we were due for antother soon. looks like this may be it, or the bird flu in the future maybe idk. but anyway, technicncally this is already a pandemic, its once it becomes worldwide and spreads human to human.
Mexico is not a third world country. I'm so insulted. Mexico is considered a Newly Industrialized Country. These are nations with economies more advanced and developed than those in the developing world, but not yet with the full signs of a developed country.NIC is a category between developed and developing countries. It is also considered a Big Emerging Market. :X

I can assure you my family does not live in a tent.:X

t.

Sorry if that part insulted you but I wasn't the first one to post that on this topic. And you dont even live in Mexico, you live in Texas.

In a nutshell: Both my parents were born there. I have lived there. And the majority of my extended family still lives there. So yes, you're right. I don't currently live there. I must have no idea what I'm talking about since I live an ENTIRE ten minutes from the border. Nor do I have any reason to be upset.

No idea what I'm talking about. My apologies.

t.

I am going to the Spring Youth Fair this weekend. Most likely there will be less attendance and not a lot of people go into the bunny barn anyway.
Roughly 100-200 for the whole weekend.
And I rarely go into the crowded areas, especially this weekend since Karlee is coming and she is injured so we can't do much.

I took this from brokencountry.com

"Its time to do what the media will never do in this situation; Put things into perspective. Ninety one people have contracted “Swine Flu,” the deadly strain of Influenzavirus, thats coming to kill us all, according to the media.

The headline that I used for this article is what the media calls “The Grabber” or sometimes “Eye Candy.” It causes an instant panic to all that see it, and makes us as readers or viewers want to find out the specifics. I lifted this particular headline from the Los Angeles times. I added the “Odds of getting” portion myself.

Ninety one people in a country of 320 million. Lets do a little math. I will round up to 100 to make things easier. 100 people in 1000 is ten percent. 100 people in 100,000 is 1 percent. 100 people in 1,000,000 people is .01 percent. 100 people in 300,000,000 is .0000000000000000001 percent.

I suck at math but I think most of you get my point. Your odds of contracting and dying of swine flu is smaller than your odds of hitting the lottery. Your odds of getting hit by lightning is about a million to one. Your odds of being killed in an automobile accident today are about 1 in 11,850,000.

So it would behoove you to be much more afraid of being hit by lightning as opposed to contracting swine flu. Most of us see lightning quite frequently throughout our lifetime, yet rarely do people get hit by it.

Your odds are probably better of being in trampled to death by a heard of wild elephants during a hailstorm on the Fourth of July while a magnitude 8.2 earthquake occurs .

This is nothing more than media hype. The very same media that for months made Sarah Palin out to be a buffoon. That made George W. Bush out to be an idiot. That got President Obama Elected.

But the media doesn’t have much influence on America, does it? Influence or Influenza? I would say Influenza because watching the news makes me sick." JD

WhatI find interesting is the mediahypes it up and then tells everyone to be calm. Now what I found funny is theDeputy Health Minister of Israel,Yakov Litzman said the reference to pigs is offensive to both religions (Muslim and Judiasim) and "we should call this Mexican flu and not swine flu," he told a news conference at a hospital in central Israel. Now here is someone who totally has lossed his focus. Evidently he is not concerned about offending Mexicans.

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2009Apr27/0,4670,MLODDIsraelKosherFlu,00.html

myLoki wrote:
BSAR wrote:
myLoki wrote:
BSAR wrote:
This is scaring me too.

But listen everyone the reason people in Mexico are dying and no one else is, and i think this was already mentioned but, Mexico is a third world country with crappy medical service and crappy disenfection stuff.

NO ONE is the US or anywhere else as far as I know has died yet. Only in Mexico, relax, if you do get it, which is probably like 1 in a 1 million or more!!

kk just my 2 cents

eta: Yesterday I was looking at stats and stuff about pandemics and the last one was in 1969ish, and it said we were due for antother soon. looks like this may be it, or the bird flu in the future maybe idk. but anyway, technicncally this is already a pandemic, its once it becomes worldwide and spreads human to human.
Mexico is not a third world country. I'm so insulted. Mexico is considered a Newly Industrialized Country. These are nations with economies more advanced and developed than those in the developing world, but not yet with the full signs of a developed country.NIC is a category between developed and developing countries. It is also considered a Big Emerging Market. :X

t.

Sorry if that part insulted you but I wasn't the first one to post that on this topic. And you dont even live in Mexico, you live in Texas.

In a nutshell: Both my parents were born there. I have lived there. And the majority of my extended family still lives there. So yes, you're right. I don't currently live there. I must have no idea what I'm talking about since I live an ENTIRE ten minutes from the border. Nor do I have any reason to be upset.

t.
Its okay. :)

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
WhatI find interesting is the mediahypes it up and then tells everyone to be calm. Now what I found funny is theDeputy Health Minister of Israel,Yakov Litzman said the reference to pigs is offensive to both religions (Muslim and Judiasim) and "we should call this Mexican flu and not swine flu," he told a news conference at a hospital in central Israel. Now here is someone who totally has lossed his focus. Evidently he is not concerned about offending Mexicans.

yeah that was really sad...

BSAR wrote:
myLoki wrote:
BSAR wrote:
myLoki wrote:
BSAR wrote:
This is scaring me too.

kk just my 2 cents

t.

t.
Its okay. :)
I guess I should explain that I really wasn't apologizing. I was exercising a social convention commonly referred to as "sarcasm". I'm not one to be argumentative or to rock the boat over things. Talking about my native land as if it's some third-world podunk country, however, is upsetting. I know Mexico is not an industrialized nation and yes they are behind on medical advances, but using "crappy" as a descriptive is not adequate or correct.

t.

NetherlandDwarf wrote:
Wabbitdad12 wrote:

The 1918 flu was the Spanish Flu. The 1957 flu was the Asian Flu. The 1976 flu was the Hong Kong flu.

I guess it's easy for people to take it in a racist manner, but maybe he was just trying to be descriptive of where this particular flu strain originated?

BethM wrote:
NetherlandDwarf wrote:
Wabbitdad12 wrote:

The 1918 flu was the Spanish Flu. The 1957 flu was the Asian Flu. The 1976 flu was the Hong Kong flu.

I guess it's easy for people to take it in a racist manner, but maybe he was just trying to be descriptive of where this particular flu strain originated?
I was about to say that. I don't think it is said in a racist manner. Its all about where it came from which explains why it was named "swine" flu. It can easily be referred to as the Mexican flu because that is where patient zero was from.

t.

NetherlandDwarf wrote:
washington state is about to make an announcement about the swine flu testing they have been doing....

Really....what channel on tv?

eta: Ive got the channel now.

i hope the child doesn't die. just watched it and they said 3 probable cases, but then i just got an email saying there's 6. the child is the only one in the hospital

6 Probable Cases Of Swine Flu In Washington State
Health officials say there are six probable case of swine flu in Washington
state.

MORE DETAILS: <http://www.kirotv.com/tu/5GpBCd61y.html>

I am right now watching the news that NetherlandDwarf mentioned and a spokesperson said that most people are getting better without the shot. That makes me feel tons better, to know the shot isn't necessary to live and all. Just rest, liquids and normal procedures for the normal flu.

If I were to get it though I would most likely go to get the shot because it helps to not pass the flu on.

mmmm...question: If you get the swine flu once can you get it again?

The news conference says that 3 probable cases in WA. And it appears to have likely arrived in Seattle. :(

BSAR wrote:
I would assume that, like the regular seasonal flu, if you got the swine flu, then got better, it would be unlikely for you to get that exact strain of flu again. HOWEVER, if the flu virus you were exposed to later had mutated, and was even slightly different than the first one you got, you could get sick again.

BethM wrote:
BSAR wrote:
I would assume that, like the regular seasonal flu, if you got the swine flu, then got better, it would be unlikely for you to get that exact strain of flu again. HOWEVER, if the flu virus you were exposed to later had mutated, and was even slightly different than the first one you got, you could get sick again.
Thanks thats what I was thinking.

more details on washington

SEATTLE -- Health officials say they've found six probable cases of swine flu in Washington state. Three of the cases are in King County, two are in Snohomish County, and one is in Spokane. One of the cases is a child who is hospitalized and improving in Seattle.

One case is a Seattle man who has a cough and a fever. He lives alone and has not traveled. He is recovering at home.

Another case is a 33-year-old woman who is a physician. She had a fever and a cough. Her husband and children and flu conditions.

Another case is a student at Madrona High School in Seattle.

Of the cases in Snohomish County, one is a 6-year-old boy and another is a 34-year-old woman

Yikes. Can't believe there are probable cases here.
My friend wasn't at school today. She has some sort of sickness that seemed to come on quite suddenly yesterday. She's not sure if it was something she ate....
I don't know her symptoms except she was dizzy and shaky and her stomach felt weird.

There is one boy in my class (same class as the friend who isn't here) who has cough and runny nose.... :shock: Wonder...should I tell him to go and get checked out?

Emily

my daughters teacher has been absent from school since last week and probably wont be back this week, all they are saying is he's very ill. i have been wondering about that, i hope he's just ill and nothing more and recovers quickly

Found this on the map....apparently that toddler wasn't the first U.S. death...

25/04/2009 Bellflower reported the death of a 33-year-old Long Beach man who was brought in Saturday with symptoms resembling Swine flu.

http://www.casperstartribune.net/articles/2009/04/28/ap/us/d97rkbr81.txt

and

22/04/2009 death was a 45-year-old La Mirada man who died April 22 at a Norwalk hospital.

http://www.presstelegram.com/news/ci_12247067

Not sure if they actually had Swine Flu. The marker on the last one (the 45-year old) was yellow, and yellow means negative...but they still have it listed. The first one, marker was pink=suspected.

Emily

My mom is a nurse at Providence Everett Medical Center in Snohomish County, Washington. It's the biggest hospital in the county so the people with swine flu are probably there. I'm not worrying TOO much because my mom is healthy and even if she did manage to get swine flu, she'd probably recover just fine. It is a little concerning though since she will be spending hours every day nursing patients in a hospital that has patients with swine flu, either already (I'm not sure if the people with it are at the hospital now) or in a few days when more people have it.

Back