swine flu

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BSAR wrote:
Oh i didn't notice you were being sarcastic.

Not to be rude, BSAR, but don't you think maybe you should apologise to myLoki? A simple sorry would go a long way.

irishlops wrote:
OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
NetherlandDwarf wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090429/ap_on_he_me/ml_egypt_swine_flu

I thought this was a bit extreme, Egypt ordered all pigs to be slaughtered :(
Wow! I would expect that they would (hopefully) slaughter the pigs in Mexico that have been affected, to prevent them from spreading it to other pigs and humans. Strange that they're doing it in an area who has not even seen the disease yet though.
its not spread by PIGS! ok. its spraed by humans.
leave the pigs out of it
Although I thought it was extreme as well, it DOES come from pigs and they can spread it. It can be pig to human, human to pig and human to human.

We live around people with pigs, we've been around auction houses where they sell pigs and we are a bit worried.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Although I thought it was extreme as well, it DOES come from pigs and they can spread it. It can be pig to human, human to pig and human to human.

We live around people with pigs, we've been around auction houses where they sell pigs and we are a bit worried.
It's EXTREMELY RARE for this to be transmitted from a pig to a human. If you catch the swine flu, you will most likely get it from an infected human.

You will be fine.

Ok so we have what about 300 possible cases in the states do you realize that. That is only less then .05 percent of the population in America.

Its the flu its not that big of deal. To really become a true epidemic over 25 percent of the population has to get it.

25 percent of the population get the flu every year. Yes don't get me wrong it is a illness that can kill. But if you take normal cleanses step you should be ok.

BethM wrote:
Bo B Bunny wrote:

It's EXTREMELY RARE for this to be transmitted from a pig to a human. If you catch the swine flu, you will most likely get it from an infected human.

You will be fine.

Um...it's not "extremely rare" for it to be transmitted from pig to human. How do you think humans got it?

The reason that it is spreading so fast right now is because some strain became active in humans. And more humans came in contact with those people. Most of us have more contact with humans than pigs, which is why, in this instance, most contaminations are human to human. But it's perfectly plausible to say that coming into contact with pigs is a worry too.

pinksalamander wrote:
BSAR wrote:

Not to be rude, BSAR, but don't you think maybe you should apologise to myLoki? A simple sorry would go a long way.
I agree, I read what was said and it was really unnessesary. You could of either 1) Said it in a more sensative manner or 2) not said it at all. RO is a big forum so it was bound to hurt someones feelings, I don't think it was needed what you said. Also, the term 'third world' means as in third world war (fallowing first and second) and I think, Mexico.. is far from that. Just because of a few horror stories shown on TV or Newspapers from people who had to go to a Mexican hospital doesn't mean it's 24/7 like that, like, i mean there are also hospitals in the US and Canada that can be deemed 'Crappy' ( just look at the Monfort Hospital ;)) doesn't mean the whole country is like that.

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
BethM wrote:
Bo B Bunny wrote:

You will be fine.

Um...it's not "extremely rare" for it to be transmitted from pig to human. How do you think humans got it?

The reason that it is spreading so fast right now is because some strain became active in humans. And more humans came in contact with those people. Most of us have more contact with humans than pigs, which is why, in this instance, most contaminations are human to human. But it's perfectly plausible to say that coming into contact with pigs is a worry too.

It's IS rare to contract swine flu from a pig. If it wasn't so rare, there would be swine flu going around all the time, due to the extensive raising of pigs, now and through history. If swine flu was a huge concern, there wouldn't be a pork industry, at least not as big as it is.

Please re-read what I wrote. "Extremely rare" is not the same as "impossible," which is what you are sayingin your response. People going around saying this is going to be spread by pigs, when the reality is that what'sspreading now is actually being spread by contact with infected humans, acchieves nothing but stirring up fear.

Anyone who wasn't worried about living near a pig farm 2 months ago shouldn't be worried now.

Also, the boy suspected of being "patient zero" tested positive for swine flu. Even though he does live near a pig farm, the pigs on the farm tested negative for the flu. The kid survived, and is doing fine now.

BethM wrote:
Also, the boy suspected of being "patient zero" tested positive for swine flu. Even though he does live near a pig farm, the pigs on the farm tested negative for the flu. The kid survived, and is doing fine now.
Thats what we like to hear :)

BethM wrote:
OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
BethM wrote:
Bo B Bunny wrote:

You will be fine.

It's IS rare to contract swine flu from a pig. If it wasn't so rare, there would be swine flu going around all the time, due to the extensive raising of pigs, now and through history. If swine flu was a huge concern, there wouldn't be a pork industry, at least not as big as it is.

Please re-read what I wrote. "Extremely rare" is not the same as "impossible," which is what you are sayingin your response. People going around saying this is going to be spread by pigs, when the reality is that what'sspreading now is actually being spread by contact with infected humans, acchieves nothing but stirring up fear.

Anyone who wasn't worried about living near a pig farm 2 months ago shouldn't be worried now.

Hog farms don't constantly breed and raise sick pigs, which is why stuff like this doesn't go around all the time. It's rare for a pig to get it in the first place in the big scheme of things. But what I'm saying is that this string of the virus is transferred by pigs just as easily as it is transferred by humans. The reason it's spreading quickly at this time is because humans who had worked around the infected pigs affected others. Since most people come into contact with humans more often than pigs, that is how it's spreading. But it's not any more likely to originate from humans than pigs...because it is the swine flu.

My original point was that someone got all offendedwhen I said pigs carrying the virus should be euthanized because "it comes from humans, not pigs", which is far from the truth.;)

Brandy456 wrote:
pinksalamander wrote:
BSAR wrote:

I agree, I read what was said and it was really unnessesary.  You could of either 1) Said it in a more sensative manner or 2) not said it at all.   RO is a big forum so it was bound to hurt someones feelings, I don't think it was needed what you said.  Also, the term 'third world' means as in third world war (fallowing first and second) and I think, Mexico.. is far from that.  Just because of a few horror stories shown on TV or Newspapers from people who had to go to a Mexican hospital doesn't mean it's 24/7 like that, like, i mean there are also hospitals in the US and Canada that can be deemed 'Crappy' ( just look at the Monfort Hospital ;)) doesn't mean the whole country is like that.

I don't think third world refers to wars though, its actually in reference to the 'third estate' and has something to do with the French Revolution. At least thats what we were always told in Geography!

Anyway...

SWINE FLU! AH!

SnowyShiloh wrote:
My mom is a nurse at Providence Everett Medical Center in Snohomish County, Washington. It's the biggest hospital in the county so the people with swine flu are probably there. I'm not worrying TOO much because my mom is healthy and even if she did manage to get swine flu, she'd probably recover just fine. It is a little concerning though since she will be spending hours every day nursing patients in a hospital that has patients with swine flu, either already (I'm not sure if the people with it are at the hospital now) or in a few days when more people have it.

Have you talked with your mom lately about whats been going? Your mom should be fine after all she is a nurse so she knows the importance of good hygiene

I remember when mersa ( i know i spelled that wrong) was all over the news and i was working at the hospital during all the outbreaks from that. it was scary but at the same time we live with that bacteria everywhere, its on the streets, freeways anywhere... what it came down to was common sense & practicing good hygiene.

this swine flu also reminds me what I had learn in school about the smallpox/cowpox how that became an outbreak but then they noticed milkmaids or people who worked with cows were just about immune to smallpox because they had the lesser form cowpox and that how the vaccine was made. history does repete itself.

pinksalamander wrote:
I don't think third world refers to wars though, its actually in reference to the 'third estate' and has something to do with the French Revolution. At least thats what we were always told in Geography!

Anyway...

SWINE FLU! AH!

Hmmm *thinks back to AS History - French revolution* That does sound familiar! It definitely doesn't refer to the world wars. Then again, I was rubbish at the French Revolution. It was so boring and overly-complicated!:p

Apparently there have been a few suspected casesofSwine flu inNewcastle which is right near me. I'm not worried though. As others have said - normal flu has killed a lot more than Swine flu. I don't see it as different to any other virus going round. It's just because it's new it is therefore more scary.:?

Mum brought us all anti bacterial hand gel stuff and some eldeflower cordial which when you drink it makes it so if you get the flu it stops it spreading/mulitiplying in your body :) YAY

Bunnys_rule63 wrote:
Apparently there have been a few suspected casesofSwine flu inNewcastle which is right near me. I'm not worried though. As others have said - normal flu has killed a lot more than Swine flu. I don't see it as different to any other virus going round. It's just because it's new it is therefore more scary.:?
it is a new virus, that why people are scared. with the regular flu since it has been around we have built up some immunities, whereas the swine flu is so new and has potential to mutate into something more, thats why they are trying to learn about it. now the regular flu mutates every year and flu shots are made from the flu virus from the year before. you have a 20% chance of catching of last year flu. but flu shots are still very much needed especially for the elderly and immune compromised people.

Hopefully they will develop a 'swine flu jab' for us when this ones gone incase it comes again :)

I got sooo freaked out because this morning I woke up with a really sore throat and a eye infection(ugh) and my imagination was going crazy, but eye infection isn't one of the symptoms so..but I'm still going to the doctor-can't be too careful. But-if I go to the doctors then I might actually GET the swine flu from a sick person there, but if I don't go then I might die and-there goes my imagination.:nerves1

I'm still not worried at all. In fact, I stopped watching the news because I find the hype totally ridiculous.

I'm talking to someone on MSN (A Michael Jackson fan) thats go Swine flu!!! She lives in Mexico but she is recovering from it!!Shes been in hosptial since Tuesday but she is recovering :)

Back