Sparky's Vet Visit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ADORABLE picture Patti.:heartbeat:

Are they related?

One day I will have a Rex, and a Frenchie and a.....:biggrin2:

Susan:)

PS

Good luck tomorrow.

SOOOSKA wrote:
ADORABLE picture Patti.:heartbeat:

Are they related?

One day I will have a Rex, and a Frenchie and a.....:biggrin2:

Susan:)

PS

Good luck tomorrow.
No, they are both mini-rex, but aren't related. They are the same age though and I got them both on the same day.

Sparky's vet visit went well this morning. The vet said the tissue in her mouth was nice and pink and the stitches looked good. I have to continue to give her bicillin injections and zithromax.

She will be going back on Wednesday. I have to go to New Jersey for 3 days and I am going to board her there.

I'm a little late, but I'm here :)

Sorry to hear about Sparky - I will be praying for a speedy and healthy recovery!

I for one have not taken Wrangler to the vet yet (other than to get sex checked; poor guy :p). I've always wondered if I should or not though. To me, he seems like a very healthy bunny i.e. running around, binkying, knawing, eating, pooping, drinking...I check his front teeth periodically and they look healthy...but I haven't tried looking at the rest of his mouth (he's so fussy!) I do (attempt) to trim his nails - and usually get the job done after the fur goes flying. Wrangler's nails have kind of gotten longer than they should be (shame on me) and I just began the trimming today. It's difficult for me to get his hind feet (even though I do flip him on his back) and Ialways seem to manage to trim one nail too short :shock:and I feel oh so very badly for Wrangler).

Sorry for my rambling :D

But yes, I agree, check-ups are probably a good idea...Wrangler is a little over 3 now I believe, so I haven't really been that concerned considering that he acts and eats like a healthy bun.

I do agree that older buns should definitely get annual check-ups. Maybe even twice a year.

It's hard dealing with older animals. It's something I always dread. We just put my beloved cat, Callie, downthe day before yesterday. That was the first time that I've ever had to put one of my pets to sleep. One of the hardest things I've ever had to do. She was suffering from a huge mass at the corner of her mouth and there was nothing we could do about it). Talk about feeling incredibly helpless.

& with older animals comes more bills...but yes, they are so very worth it. But then again, there is only so much you can do too.

-----

For those talking about Adequan, that is also used with horses. But just to clarify, I don't know whether y'all are talking about actual Adequan (which is quite expensive) or the Adequan compound. I recently just started injecting my 15-year-old Quarter Horse with the Adequan compound (which I had originally thought was the actual Adequan - miscommunication with the vet).

So I don't know which Adequan y'all are talking about, but I just wanted to make sure that y'all knew that there are 2 different kinds ;)

-----

Sorry for such a long response! :D

Hi Brittany:

It would be worth it to get Wrangler checked out. Sparky gave absolutely no indication that she had any tooth problems. A wellness check for Scooter only cost me $48 and it was worth the peace of mind. They will give a compete check-up and put a scope in Wrangler's mouth to check his rear teeth. They would only need to do more if anything looked suspicious. You may be able to head off a problem. If I had taken Sparky in sooner, it would not have gotten as bad as it did and would have cost a lot less. So far, I have spent a little over $1,300 for Sparky's treatment and that is with about a 50% discount the vet is giving me (the invoice tells me how much they discounted the treatments). I get the "good customer" discount, probably because spent over $8,000 last year alone with them for rescue.

I would definately have a wellness check for Wrangler. Haile Plantation Animal Clinic in Gainesville has a rabbit savvy vet on staff.

Thanks for thinking about my Sparky. I'm beginning to believe she is on the road to recovery!!

BTW.....Netherland Dwarf rabbits are more prone to tooth problems because of the shape of their head.

slavetoabunny wrote:
Hi Brittany:

It would be worth it to get Wrangler checked out. Sparky gave absolutely no indication that she had any tooth problems. A wellness check for Scooter only cost me $48 and it was worth the peace of mind. They will give a compete check-up and put a scope in Wrangler's mouth to check his rear teeth. They would only need to do more if anything looked suspicious. You may be able to head off a problem. If I had taken Sparky in sooner, it would not have gotten as bad as it did and would have cost a lot less. So far, I have spent a little over $1,300 for Sparky's treatment and that is with about a 50% discount the vet is giving me (the invoice tells me how much they discounted the treatments). I get the "good customer" discount, probably because spent over $8,000 last year alone with them for rescue.

I would definately have a wellness check for Wrangler. Haile Plantation Animal Clinic in Gainesville has a rabbit savvy vet on staff.

Thanks for thinking about my Sparky. I'm beginning to believe she is on the road to recovery!!

BTW.....Netherland Dwarf rabbits are more prone to tooth problems because of the shape of their head.

$1,300dollars:shock:Unfortunately, I would never be able to pay for a fee that expensive. There is just no way. It makes me sad to think that money comes in the way of proper treatment for my animals. But then again, I know that I'm not the only one out there that feels the same way as I do. There are a lot of people that wouldn't be able to afford such an expense.

As for $48 a year or maybe even 2x a year, that is a little more feasible. And thanks for the heads up.

BrittsBunny wrote:
$1,300dollars:shock:Unfortunately, I would never be able to pay for a fee that expensive. There is just no way. It makes me sad to think that money comes in the way of proper treatment for my animals. But then again, I know that I'm not the only one out there that feels the same way as I do. There are a lot of people that wouldn't be able to afford such an expense.

As for $48 a year or maybe even 2x a year, that is a little more feasible. And thanks for the heads up.

She's been my girl for 7 years and there is no way that I can't spend the money to save her life! Rescue actually spent $1,300 last summer for a surgery for one of our sanctuary buns.

slavetoabunny wrote:
BrittsBunny wrote:
$1,300dollars:shock:Unfortunately, I would never be able to pay for a fee that expensive. There is just no way. It makes me sad to think that money comes in the way of proper treatment for my animals. But then again, I know that I'm not the only one out there that feels the same way as I do. There are a lot of people that wouldn't be able to afford such an expense. As for $48 a year or maybe even 2x a year, that is a little more feasible. And thanks for the heads up.
She's been my girl for 7 years and there is no way that I can't spend the money to save her life! Rescue actually spent $1,300 last summer for a surgery for one of our sanctuary buns.
Well Wrangler is my buddy and believe me, if I had the funds, I would do the same thing as you. But I also have a horse and he's been my companion since I was 16. But some people only have so much money. It's not that I wouldn't want to spend, it's that I don't have it. So as for now, I just pray that my animals stay healthy and that if I ever have to cross that bridge, then I'll deal with it the best that I can. Believe me, my animals are the world to me too.

BrittsBunny wrote:
For those talking about Adequan, that is also used with horses. But just to clarify, I don't know whether y'all are talking about actual Adequan (which is quite expensive) or the Adequan compound.
The stuff the vet at Cornell gave me was just called "Adequan" - she said it was used mostly for dogs, but they'd had success using it with rabbits. And, indeed, it was very successful in treating Scone's spinal arthritis. Basically, it's an injectable form of polysulfated glycosaminoglycan - the active ingredient is chondroitin sulfate, the same supplement I take orally for my knees.

It is expensive, but for rabbits you use such a tiny amount in each injection, and you give injections only every other week, that a small bottle lasts for many months. Actually, I never did use up the first bottle, since Scone passed away (from kidney, liver and heart problems) about eight months after he started with the injections, and there was still medicine left. The Adequan made such a huge difference in his quality of life, it was well worth it.

MikeScone wrote:
BrittsBunny wrote:
For those talking about Adequan, that is also used with horses. But just to clarify, I don't know whether y'all are talking about actual Adequan (which is quite expensive) or the Adequan compound.
The stuff the vet at Cornell gave me was just called "Adequan" - she said it was used mostly for dogs, but they'd had success using it with rabbits. And, indeed, it was very successful in treating Scone's spinal arthritis. Basically, it's an injectable form of polysulfated glycosaminoglycan - the active ingredient is chondroitin sulfate, the same supplement I take orally for my knees.

It is expensive, but for rabbits you use such a tiny amount in each injection, and you give injections only every other week, that a small bottle lasts for many months. Actually, I never did use up the first bottle, since Scone passed away (from kidney, liver and heart problems) about eight months after he started with the injections, and there was still medicine left. The Adequan made such a huge difference in his quality of life, it was well worth it.
Just out of curiousity, and you do not have to respond, but how much did you pay for a bottle? I paid $50 for a 100 mL bottle of Adequan compound for my horse. He was injected 1x a week for 7 weeks straight and now he has been reduced to a single injection once a month for his minor arthritis.

BrittsBunny wrote:
Just out of curiousity, and you do not have to respond, but how much did you pay for a bottle?
I honestly don't remember exactly. It was more than a year ago, and I threw out all the receipts long ago after Scone died.

MikeScone wrote:
BrittsBunny wrote:
Just out of curiousity, and you do not have to respond, but how much did you pay for a bottle?
I honestly don't remember exactly. It was more than a year ago, and I threw out all the receipts long ago after Scone died.
Oh okay. It's definitely something I'll keep in mind for Wrangler as he grows older. Thank you for the insight.

Just an update for all of Sparky's friends.......she is doing very well. She is eating some salad and hay, but is still off pellets. So, she is getting 35cc's of Critical Care 4x per day. She sucks it down with no problem. I think her mouth is starting to feel better. I saw her chewing on a wicker toy today!! We will be continuing with the bicillin injections. I'm not sure how long she needs the zithromax.

I leave for New Jersey for 3 days tomorrow and am going to board her at the vets so she can get all her treatments and feedings. Hubby just couldn't take care of the other four and do this too. I'm trying to figure out what genius decided we should have an employee meeting in New Jersey in the winter when the company has offices in Orlando.

My girl is such a trooper!!!!!

That is wonderful that she is doing so well! At least the vet can take care of everything while you are away. I don't think my husband could handle the feedings either.

Please be very careful. The weather for tomorrow will be icy and winter mix. I hope you don't have to go far from your hotel and can pack for nasty winter. Sounds like who ever planned the meeting needs a good kick in the shins.

I fly into Philadelphia, but am staying in Mt. Laurel, NJ. This Florida gal is definately hiring a car to the hotel. No driving for me! The company does have transportation arranged to/from the hotel to the conference center.

I hope your flight was ok. Good luck getting to work today, I'm working from home because the roads are crap. I'm glad you don't have to drive, just wear your seat belt just incase. Stay safe.

Flights into Philadelphia were cancelled, so I'm not going anywhere today. No one could get there so they cancelled our meetings. I wasn't looking forward to going anyway. Now I need to go pick up Sparky at the vet.

Sparky had another vet check today. She had torn some of her stitches and some more food go into her jaw. The vet cleaned it out again. The good new is that she said the pocket where the abscess was is about 50% smaller. I have to take her in twice a week now until things are healed up so the vet can keep on top of it.

slavetoabunny wrote:
Flights into Philadelphia were cancelled, so I'm not going anywhere today.
That makes two of us. I chickened out on flying myself down to NC to visit my son Joe, and booked the airline instead. Of course, the connection was through Philadelphia... Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

At least Sparky can come home to Mom, so the snow had some good to it.

Latest posts

Back