Sparky's Vet Visit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slavetoabunny

Reaction score
I just wanted to post an encouragement for all owners of elder-buns to get a regular wellness checkup. Sparky is 7 years old and I have been her mommy sinceshe was 4 months. Ibrought Sparky into the vet last Thursday because I suspected she had some arthritis because she was hopping funny and wouldn't stand up anymore for treats. The x-ray determined that she did have arthritis in her left rear leg, but that wasn't the beginning of her problems.

As part of her exam, the vet checked her teeth. The bad news was that the teeth on the left side of her mouth were rotten/loose and she had an enormous jaw abscess. The vet said that she has most likely been developing this for a year or more. I had no clue! My chubby girl hasn't dropped a single ounce in weight and she has always been a great eater. Rabbits are so good about hiding their problems.

Sparky had all of the molars on the left side extracted and the abscess cleaned out on Friday. She finally got to come home yesterday with a huge incision that was stapled shut yesterday. Very Frankenstein-ish! The vet implanted antibiotic beads in her jaw and I am syringing 4 different meds and Critical Care every day. I am going to ask about bicillin therapy when she has her re-check on Friday.

When I bring Sparky in for her re-check on Friday,I am also going to have a wellness check for Scooter since she is 7 years old also. My point is.....if you have an older bunny, it would pay to have them checked out at least once a year!

Please keep Sparky in your thoughts for a complete recovery.

Poor Sparky! I hope she feels well soon!

I've been lax on regular vet visits for the buns who don't have dental issues. Oberon hasn't been in for a couple of years now, but he's so healthy. I can't bring Dora in unless we plan to sedate her. Everyone else right now gets in at least once a year because of molar spurs.

naturestee wrote:
Poor Sparky! I hope she feels well soon!

I've been lax on regular vet visits for the buns who don't have dental issues. Oberon hasn't been in for a couple of years now, but he's so healthy. I can't bring Dora in unless we plan to sedate her. Everyone else right now gets in at least once a year because of molar spurs.

Sparky didn't exhibit any signs at all of dental problems, which was why I was so shocked that her mouth was as bad as it was. When I bring Sparky in for her re-check tomorrow, I am also bringing Scooter for a well-bunny check since she is also 7 years old.

Sparky is doing well today, BTW. She is trying to eat, but is just having a difficult time.

Oh My Goodness Patti, poor Sparky.

Lucky for him you brought him in for a check up. Also that you have such a great Vet.

I know with Buttercup he's 12 plus. I brought him to a Vet last year for a minor problem, she did check him over really well. He does have a growth (very large) in his tummy but like she said their is nothing that can be done just to watch him to make sure he is not in pain. Of course he does get extra treats.

I'll say a prayer :pray:for Sparky that he recovers quickly.

Susan:)

Poor Sparky! Give her a nose-rub for me (even though I'm sure she doesn't remember me).

That reminds me, got to make an appointment to get Natasha checked out... I don't know if she's ever been to a vet.

Wow, Patti, that must have been a shock. Glad to hear she is doing so well - little toughie that she is!

I try to keep up with their annual checks. It was easier when I lived in the UK, as they had to have their yearly myxi and VHD shots, and they got their check up at the same time, but as they don't have them here, I tend to lose track of time.

Hope Scooter does OK at her visit. Are they going to give Scooter any meds for the arthritis?

Jan

MikeScone wrote:
Poor Sparky! Give her a nose-rub for me (even though I'm sure she doesn't remember me).

That reminds me, got to make an appointment to get Natasha checked out... I don't know if she's ever been to a vet.
I'm sure that Sparky would remember you if she saw you again! I used to think that healthy bunny exams were a waste of money. Never again. Please get your Natasha checked out.

LuvaBun wrote:
Wow, Patti, that must have been a shock. Glad to hear she is doing so well - little toughie that she is!

I try to keep up with their annual checks. It was easier when I lived in the UK, as they had to have their yearly myxi and VHD shots, and they got their check up at the same time, but as they don't have them here, I tend to lose track of time.

Hope Scooter does OK at her visit. Are they going to give Scooter any meds for the arthritis?

Jan

Jan:

Sparky is the one with arthritis. I need to give her daily doses of metacam. Poor little gal's hopping is definately "off".

Patti, I'm so sorry to hear that Sparky is going through all of this.

I never did the regular exams on the bunners, like many folks, until I almost lost Patrick one week after adopting Luna. His molar spurs were so bad that they were cutting up the inside of his cheeks so badly. Ever since then, all of my kids, even the piggies, see the vet once a year unless he says otherwise.

Actually, I just had Callie in two weeks ago, and found that her teeth are wearing unevenly. She goes in next week to have them taken care of right quick. The vet probably thinks I'm over-neurotic about critter-teeth now, but after seeing the pain that Patrick was in, and not knowingthereason at first,really scared me. I would have felt like the worst bunny-mom in the world if I lost him over something that could have been fixed so easily.

Best of luck with Scooter's appointment and Sparky's recovery. :pray:

myheart

Patti,

For as major of a operation Sparkywent thru, it sounds like she's doing good. I will be saying prayers for her. I think about you guys all the time. :pray:

I definately plan doing yearly check-ups on my buns. I need to get Daisy & Rascal in actually. Ros & Suzi had theres. Teeth are one of the biggest things I worry about.

Wow, that is scary! Glad your vet caught it and she is doing well.

SweetSassy wrote:
Patti,

For as major of a operation Sparkywent thru, it sounds like she's doing good. I will be saying prayers for her. I think about you guys all the time. :pray:

I definately plan doing yearly check-ups on my buns. I need to get Daisy & Rascal in actually. Ros & Suzi had theres. Teeth are one of the biggest things I worry about.

Thank you....Dr. Emerson keeps emphasizing how major her surgery was. I was especially concerned when she wouldn't commit to a prognosis. Sparky is doing good now (knock on wood). I just counted the staples in her jaw - there are 8 of them!

Definately get a wellness checkup for your buns!

myheart wrote:
Patti, I'm so sorry to hear that Sparky is going through all of this.

I never did the regular exams on the bunners, like many folks, until I almost lost Patrick one week after adopting Luna. His molar spurs were so bad that they were cutting up the inside of his cheeks so badly. Ever since then, all of my kids, even the piggies, see the vet once a year unless he says otherwise.

Actually, I just had Callie in two weeks ago, and found that her teeth are wearing unevenly. She goes in next week to have them taken care of right quick. The vet probably thinks I'm over-neurotic about critter-teeth now, but after seeing the pain that Patrick was in, and not knowingthereason at first,really scared me. I would have felt like the worst bunny-mom in the world if I lost him over something that could have been fixed so easily.

Best of luck with Scooter's appointment and Sparky's recovery. :pray:

myheart

I'm going to be neurotic from now on! I've always prided myself on knowing my bunnies well enough to spot anything wrong with them. Guess this incident shoots holes in that theory!

slavetoabunny wrote:
Sparky is the one with arthritis. I need to give her daily doses of metacam.
Did the vet suggest Adequan? Scone was taking that - one shot every three days for a few weeks, then cut back to once a week, then once every two weeks. It made an amazing difference in his arthritis. He was like a new bunny.

Oh wow Patti :expressionlessWhat a shocker! I am so glad it was caught! I hope Sparky recovers quickly. Thinking of you two... :pray:

MikeScone wrote:
slavetoabunny wrote:
Sparky is the one with arthritis. I need to give her daily doses of metacam.
Did the vet suggest Adequan? Scone was taking that - one shot every three days for a few weeks, then cut back to once a week, then once every two weeks. It made an amazing difference in his arthritis. He was like a new bunny.
I'll ask the vet about that at her visit today. Thanks Mike!

Latest posts

Back