Some info I think all breeders should consider

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my opinion no one could stoop lower than to do this to any one of us.

Low blow if you ask me :pssd:

Not to mention wasting time and taking away from theanimals who are truely in need of being rescued. Instead humane officers are being sent out to homes where animals/pets are loved and cared for.

Wow...I just read through all of this. I hadn't been in the Rabbitry area for a few days because I was (unfortunately) preoccupied in the infirmary section with an injured bun. I'm SOO sorry this has happened to you. How shocking. I can't even imagine how horrible and scary that would be to think you might have to give up your bunnies. To me they are my "furry children" and they mean the world to me.

I think these officers see alot of these kinds of complaints, unfortunately. My sister came home to an officer at her house looking at her horses. She was, of course, immediately afraid of something horrible. The officer actually laughed when he said someone filed a complaint against her, but obviously from looking at the condition of the horses someone was trying to get back at her. It wasn't hard to figure out in her situation that it was her husband's ex-wife. It's just a shame that people like that are wasting the officers' time with their petty vendettas.

Just a quick update...

Art just powerwashed the floor and some of the walls - then he took the buffer to the floor. I can "almost" see my reflection in it I think. WOW.

Fortunately - as we put girls on the floor - we didn't throw out their cages...so they're learning the joy of caged living again. Some of them seem to enjoy it - others are antsy to get out and play.

We bought a big dog kennel/run type thing last week - so when it is cool out - I can let them go out there to play for limited times....that makes me feel better. Plus the boys can get play time too.

We're figuring out how to restack the cages so they'll all fit...I think we've figured it out. YEAH!

Yesterday we visited a breeder who made his own cages and was willing to let us see them (and we even got some pics). In many ways they're a lot like Polly's set up - except he has flemish giants (Polly - I'm guessing a Netherland doesn't need a 4' X 6' cage...right?).

Of course the plus side I was able to see flemish giants (and his two continental giants) and come home with ideas to show the animal control supervisor of what our plans are.

Art even talked me into a separate bunny barn once we can afford it (hopefully in a year or so).

I'm so excited....the rabbitry is looking so much nicer.

By the way - I know people will ask.

No - I will not take pictures of my set-up to show everyone. Once I get cleared by animal control and certified as a breeder - that is enough for me. But I'm just not comfortable any more sharing stuff like that on the forum.

I trust y'all....but I can't trust everyone!

4by6 would be a bit excessive lol they really dont need that much space. Ours are just over 2x2 and they have more than enough space in that to stretch out and hop around :)
x

This is horrible someone would do this to you! :( I'm so sorry you had to go through it! I'd glad it worked out though. That would have been awful! If you never need to talk my PM is always open as well. ;)

Peg - that would be great to have a separate bunny barn!
Sounds like Art is really having fun with that blaster - is that the one they show on TV?
I'm glad to hear everything is coming along nicely.

Your reluctance to post pics is completely understandable. I know if I had gone through what you have these last few days, I would probably decide the same course.

I hope this will be all over soon and you feel more comfortable posting pictures and sharing with us again soon, I love to read and see your bunnies pictures in your blog! :(

ive been keeping up with this but not known what to say really. a heartfelt im sorry for what your going through and also i know what its like-sorta.

i had animal control called on me a couple days ago cause i had my boys running around on the patio. it was dark, they had a shelter, and water and food. and i was in the living room with the screen door closed. i guess the complaint was about thier size and that they looked dangerous and that certain person didnt think that it was safe to have rabbits that big...i was pretty upset. im sure its the same person callin animal control for my dog barking-from inside or on the patio. i hate people sometimes.

so i kinda knojw the stress and how upsetting this can be. but upside for you is that you got lucky :) and can keep all your bunnies

I wish y'all could see the rabbitry so far. WOO HOO.

Art powerwashed and then used a buffer on the floor. I can't see myself in it...but its close.

Robin powerwashed a bunch of cages (I helped move all the animals around and did a lot of walking - I get to put them back in a few minutes).

I'm about to do the woodypet and put tiles (powerwashed) in the cages.

The neat thing is- we saved all the cages so the girls will get playtime on the porch sometimes but also have cages of their own. PLUS - the Calis are moving into the rabbitry - and I can have an OFFICE again.

The animal control supervisor stated that he didn't care about HOW MANY rabbits I had...just he wanted the rabbitry to pass inspection.

I'm sure it should pass once we're done.

Peg,

What did they say were the conditions that you had to have to meet inspections? I'm just wondering how picky they are being as it sounds like you're going to have that place clinically clean. That's nice and all, but not real realistic if that is what their expectations are. It's not like you can put diapers on the buns.

I'm thinking of my own rabbitry and thinking my one rabbit, Reuben, just shedded his entire self over the past two months. His cage looked like a fuzzy bomb went off. Other than powerwashing, I'm at a loss how to get all that darn hair off the walls. :) I'd like to wait until he's donelosing all his hair to spend too much time cleaning it. Luckily I live in the middle of nowhere and I'm pretty sure my animals are living 100% better than many of my neighbors'.

TinysMom wrote:

No - I will not take pictures of my set-up to show everyone. Once I get cleared by animal control and certified as a breeder - that is enough for me. But I'm just not comfortable any more sharing stuff like that on the forum.

Sorry for all you are going through Peg. Maybe this was a blessing in disguise. You are now getting the rabbitry looking much nicer and maybe this will lead to something better :) No one should have to go through this.

For this reason, I have never put pictures of my rabbitry on the web. I fear that someone will not "agree" with something and I will have issues. I do, however, showmy friends somepictures. Ever since reading about other peoples' issues and dealings, I have been much more guarded.

It is sad that this is what it comes down to. I would love to people to see my rabbitry and my setup. I am very proud of my rabbits and my cleaning ritual. I would love to be able to show that off.

*hugs*

Sharon

Starlight Rabbitry wrote:
TinysMom wrote:

Sorry for all you are going through Peg. Maybe this was a blessing in disguise. You are now getting the rabbitry looking much nicer and maybe this will lead to something better :) No one should have to go through this.

For this reason, I have never put pictures of my rabbitry on the web. I fear that someone will not "agree" with something and I will have issues. I do, however, showmy friends somepictures. Ever since reading about other peoples' issues and dealings, I have been much more guarded.

It is sad that this is what it comes down to. I would love to people to see my rabbitry and my setup. I am very proud of my rabbits and my cleaning ritual. I would love to be able to show that off.

*hugs*

Sharon

Sharon - this really was a blessing in disguise...it truly was.

I've had several private pms about what they're looking for in my rabbitry and what was wrong, etc.....so I'm gonna be open and honest here...not that I'm overly proud...but sometimes you have to see something through someone else's eyes to see that you've been wrapped up in other stuff and let some things go.

As many of you may know - I had a number of does living loose on the floor. I let them live this way in sort of a "warren" - and to be honest with you - they loved it. We had several of them going through false pregnancies and I'd been throwing down lots of hay on the floor for them - they'd go under one of the shelves and make a nest - or they'd go into one of the empty cages in the bottom of the rabbitry. Basically - my girls had three large dog kennels to play in - plus 10 open cages plus an 8' long shelf a foot off the floor that they could lay under and be in like a "cave".

They loved the setup - and we were sweeping it daily - but I didn't mop it in a week or so because I didn't want the hay to get moldy and I wanted them to get the nesting out of their system. (Even some of my bucks were nesting in their cages).

In addition - if you can consider 50 or so lionheads molting within a month or two period - it tends to build up on the cages if you're not looking. Trust me - I wasn't looking...

And finally - I'd run of out woody pet a bit ago and not had a chance to get out to get some.

So while they place didn't smell as bad as it could've before when I had rabbits in the garage and it would get warm...it didn't smell "fresh" and it looked really bad with the hay all over the floor.

What we have been doing - is powerwashing cages and the floor and walls. Right now - two sides are done - plus the Calis' cage is done.

Tomorrow we're pulling cages out of the garage to power wash them - that way - the girls will have cages in the rabbitry.

I really don't forsee us having any problems passing an inspection when we're done. It's not "military clean" - but it is pretty darn good.

I do plan to meet with the animal control supervisor to speak about our future plans. Going through this has made Art & I think about what we really want...and well...sorry. Can't share here...except to say that we're going to invest in a nice bunny barn when we get his inheritance from his mom's estate (hopefully next spring).

We went and visited a breeder last Saturday and got to see how he made his cages. WOW...they reminded me a lot of Polly's setup...and Art is already designing the cages he'll be building for us. The one thing we didn't like was that the man had cabinet style doors - we're going to do drop down doors out of wood that have a section cut out with mesh so they can get more light in. (His did have mesh in them). I may even have mesh where there isn't a door too...I need to study the photo(s) that Art took with his cell phone (duh...I forgot to bring a camera).

The hardest part about all this is that the girls lost out on having a warren. They have to be caged. I am hoping that when it cools down - I can buy a big dog run and let them live outside with a covering over the dog run....at least for a while.

A lot of that is what we're talking about and planning for. When we build our bunny barn its going to have to be able to be powerwashed on the inside (tile or linoleum flooring) - plus a special type of paint probably....plus I want to have access for rabbits to have "bunny runs" outside...like two large kennels - one for boys and one for girls.

I'll figure it out eventually.

I guess my biggest recommendations for those who PM'd me is to watch that fur when they molt (lionheads are horrible for that and you can get used to seeing it and not realizing just how bad it is)....and make sure to keep any urine odor down....I know in the summer it can get bad pretty quickly if you run out of woody pet or whatever. Also - we used tiles in our wire cages - to give them something to sit on....we're powerwashing those....so they look better.

I hope this helps!

I'm sorry to hear about everything Peg, some of the people on here are quite pathetic. It is pretty bad someone on here would have the nerve to do it :/ Especially when they know for a fact that you take amazing care of your rabbits.

P.S That REW buck I had went to a pet home, I decided to stick with my French Angoras, seeing as that is all I'm good at showing/judging/breeding.

I know what you mean about the hair Peg. Lily is shedding something awful! Hair is everywhere despite my plucking her daily!:shock:

t.

myLoki wrote:
I know what you mean about the hair Peg. Lily is shedding something awful! Hair is everywhere despite my plucking her daily!:shock:

t.
Oh my....and she's such a teddy bear to begin with.

Art did offer to shave all my bunnies for me....but I didn't think the animal control folks would be impressed by naked bunnies (and I knew he was joking).

But yeah - imagine 50 rabbits shedding like that.

Oh - I forgot to add...when I talked to the supervisor - I explained that life had been very hectic lately - between going home to deal with my mom - getting ill when I got back - working long hours during reset season - Art having to fly home to be with his mom before she passed...and that's how things got away from us. Before we knew it - the hot weather had set in....and the rabbits really shouldn't go outside (even while cleaning cages) as they could get heatstroke since they're in an air conditioned room...

I'm sorry you had to go through this. I had a person complain to animal control about my number of rabbits once. Nothing came of it because a) the officer realized this complaint came from the person who I failed a complaint against- for dumping dying cats in my yard and b) I am the first person they call when they get a rabbit in.

Not everybody who has a lot of rabbits breeds. I don't. So, we don't all have pedigrees, ribbons etc. It is a good idea to keep proof of vet care, spays, neuters, etc. I have a file on all of my feral cats as well.

Oh my....and she's such a teddy bear to begin with.

She really is a fluffy bunny. She kept all her teddy bear style mane. My dad's nickname for her is "Foofball".

Dad-"The Foofball is staring at me again..."
Me- "No she's not, Dad. She's probably sleeping."
Dad-"No. She's definitely staring. I think she's trying to communicate something."
Me-"Yeah she's probably saying "Briiiiiiing meeeeee a CRAAAAAAAAISIN!"
Then we all laugh. Variations of this conversation have happened so many times.

Do you have problems with your air conditioning when the bunnies are shedding? I don't know how to keep the hair fluffs lower than I already am. My mom is getting fed up with rabbit hair on her stuff, but when they're shedding its no stopping it. Any suggestions? I already pluck them daily.

t.

I've been going back and forth on doing this...I'll probably kick myself in the morning...but oh well.

One of the major things this did for me - was to make me get off the fence and make a decision I had been debating on and talking about for over 2 months. Actually - I'd been thinking about it for probably 6 months or more.

You see - I found I was really missing breeding. I didn't want to breed a lot...and I wasn't ready to breed again yet. But..I missed it. Others who knew me well had told me I would miss it...but I was like, "No way".

Ha ha.

When I spoke to the animal control supervisor - and we discussed my rabbits & breeding, etc - he said something that really struck me. He said, "I don't care how many rabbits you have as long as they're in the right size cages. What I care about is the condition right now with the hay and the hair....".

I had explained that I hadn't been breeding for a while but was thinking of getting back into it later this year....and that was why he said that.

I had just turned in my resignation for one job I have as a merchandiser..so I could spend more time at home with the rabbits. While I made decent money (and had just gotten a raise) - I found I was spending almost as much when I was working - as I was making. I had searched my heart and realized that the one job I have that I love - makes almost the amount of money I wanted to bring in on a monthly basis...so it meant I could spend more time letting the boys have run time and cuddle time and stuff like that.

Anyway - in a way this was a good thing...because it made me make a decision - the decision that I do want to get into breeding again.

Not this week....not this month....not even in the next couple of months. I don't have the space right now for a litter and I think that once September gets here and it cools down - I will work on rehoming a few more of the lionhead bucks. I'm working on getting my numbers down.

But I am going to breed again....and Art & I are already dreaming about our own bunny barn and how to set it up & how I'm going to work things.

So in a way - this was a horrible thing - but it made me get off my rear and make a decision I'd been going on and on about for months.

Latest posts

Back