Some info I think all breeders should consider

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SilverBirchRabbitry wrote:
P.S That REW buck I had went to a pet home, I decided to stick with my French Angoras, seeing as that is all I'm good at showing/judging/breeding.
That's probably a good idea. He was a cutie...just not show/breed quality.

I know when I got started in lionheads - I got a couple of mentors and that helped.

Of course...last week when I talked to Gail Gibbons and she said, "You got overwhelmed cause you didn't listen to me....right? Will you listen to me THIS time??" - it was hard...but it was good.

It reminded me that others with more experience actually know MORE than I do..and I can still learn.

Peg,

I too have a rabbit that is living without a cage. She was that way before I started my rabbitry and I don't have the heart to cage her. She now shares her space with some bunnies that are caged, but she runs the floor and is potty trained. There is also loose hay in there, but it is where I keep my hay bale that I'm currently using. She just goes up to it and helps herself when she wants some. Even with my new building I've decided I'm letting her stay where she is at. This floor is wood and is good on her feet, whereas the next one will be concrete and too rough for her. She's lived there so long I just don't have the heart to mess with it. She'll just go back to having the place to herself...which I'm quite certain she's going to love.

I hope your girls adjust OK to caged life. I know Punkin would ruin her teeth by trying to get out.

We are now at the point where we sit and wait...and wait...and wait for them to show up.

I'm very pleased with the rabbitry.

[align=center]GOOD NEWS...

and

bad news...

GOOD NEWS FIRST...

The rabbitry itself passed inspection - although they are going to reinspect it next week (and we'll be making a couple of changes).

THE BAD NEWS...

They're coming back next week to inspect the garage and the outside since we have old cages in the garage (that need to be cleaned) and we had bags of "poo" outside waiting for a dump run.

More details later...
[/align]

paul2641 wrote:
How many bunnies do you have?
Why Paul....that's like asking a woman her dress size or how old she is....

:biggrin2:

Let me put it this way....At one time I think I had around 200. I'm way way way way way way way (did I mention way) down from that number....

I've been in the double digits for a long while....and heading downward - plus this fall I will be continuing to rehome bucks.

TinysMom wrote:
paul2641 wrote:
How many bunnies do you have?
Why Paul....that's like asking a woman her dress size or how old she is....

:biggrin2:

Let me put it this way....At one time I think I had around 200. I'm way way way way way way way (did I mention way) down from that number....

I've been in the double digits for a long while....and heading downward - plus this fall I will be continuing to rehome bucks.
Pardon my rudeness thankfully your going to a more manageable number of bunnies! How do you keep up on the cleaning, Would you clean them all on a weekly basis or what?

I imagine it has to be hard but if you love the buns like Peg does, you manage.
I think if I had less kids I could manage quite a bit more buns. It's kids that are the hard ones. Lol.

Paul - one of the major reasons I don't post my numbers (and I have been asked more than once) is that as soon as you say, "I have X bunnies" - you are now a target for anyone who thinks that anything over X is hoarding.

For instance - let's say that I had 12 bunnies - but someone else thinks that anything over 10 is hoarding...while others have 20 or so.

I have three people here (total) that work together on feeding rabbits, grooming rabbits, watering rabbits and cleaning cages.

Right now we've been having temps of around 105 degrees quite a bit...which means we've been unable to open the windows that ventilate the rabbitry because they need the a/c running and it would get too hot.

They made a suggestion of a type of product that we could use in cleaning (we'd mainly been using bleach and vanodine to disinfect) - so we just went out to Home Depot and got two products - one for odor and one for disinfecting.

And Paul - I was not offended - which was why I posted the smiling smiley...I was trying to be lighthearted about it.

CKGS wrote:
Plus I've heard that she's giving me Zeus. :dancingorig: And that will open up alot of room. Lol.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

I love your TWISTED sense of humor.... :biggrin2:

Bless his heart - Zeus is even learning he has to share me with Art...so he's making nice with Art too...

How terrible that someone would do that to you, especially someone from this forum. You're a wonderful asset to this forum and you help a lot of people here, so I can't imagine why someone would dislike you. I'm glad things are turning out ok, though.

paul2641 wrote:

Pardon my rudeness thankfully your going to a more manageable number of bunnies! How do you keep up on the cleaning, Would you clean them all on a weekly basis or what?

When we had 200+ bunns, everything was sparkling clean. Cage pans were cleaned every three days (I did 1/3 of the cages every day). Everything canbe well kept and maintained if you are organized and stay on schedule with chores.

We are now down to about 80 rabbits, which is certainly more easier than 200+ ;)

Below are photos of one of my old barns. My set-up now is similar, but the walls aren't finished yet :(We bought 3 old houses, so those renovations have taken priority, but I'd sure like to get my primo rabbitry back. The old one was so nice that the new owners converted it into an apartment.

Pam

Here's one of my barns when I lived in Ohio . . .

OutsideRabbitry.jpg

Before the watering system:

InsideRabbitry22.jpg

DHinsiderabbitry.jpg

They suggested a produce called "Cher-I-Zyme" or something like that - from a company called Aero-Magnolia.

I looked it up - for 7 gallons (minimum order) it is $14.99 per gallon.

We went to Office Depot and bought two other products to try - for about $27.

Latest posts

Back