Some info I think all breeders should consider

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its really something for everyone to remember. If someone on a forum decides that you have too many animals to take care of, with some research they can have animal control at your door. As you well know.

I am so sorry this happened to you. I had a friend on a dog forum who had the same thing happen to her. Animal control came out and were more than happy with how she kept her dogs.

Some people just like to nit pick and cause very personal drama.

I hope you can still feel comfortable on forums after this. I know it would disturb me.

Pam - that is the exact building we're looking at getting with Art's inheritance in a few months...may I ask what size it was?

Will I feel comfortable on this forum? I'm still deciding....

I'm bursting with stuff I WANT to share...but can't bring myself to share yet.

We're talking about getting a 12' X 24' bunny barn - with double doors at the entrance.

TinysMom wrote:
Paul - one of the major reasons I don't post my numbers (and I have been asked more than once) is that as soon as you say, "I have X bunnies" - you are now a target for anyone who thinks that anything over X is hoarding.

For instance - let's say that I had 12 bunnies - but someone else thinks that anything over 10 is hoarding...while others have 20 or so.

I have three people here (total) that work together on feeding rabbits, grooming rabbits, watering rabbits and cleaning cages.

Right now we've been having temps of around 105 degrees quite a bit...which means we've been unable to open the windows that ventilate the rabbitry because they need the a/c running and it would get too hot.

They made a suggestion of a type of product that we could use in cleaning (we'd mainly been using bleach and vanodine to disinfect) - so we just went out to Home Depot and got two products - one for odor and one for disinfecting.

And Paul - I was not offended - which was why I posted the smiling smiley...I was trying to be lighthearted about it.
Really it is nothing more then me being nosy! Personally I don't think you should be classed a hoarder if you are keeping on top of all the chores and work that goes with larger amounts of bunnies, And if there getting fresh hay water and pellets everyday. I can't even last 15 degree's Celsius let alone 105 Fahrenheit. I use a really strongly lemon scented disinfectant to clean my cages lol!

Thanks for understanding.

pamnock wrote:
paul2641 wrote:

Pardon my rudeness thankfully your going to a more manageable number of bunnies! How do you keep up on the cleaning, Would you clean them all on a weekly basis or what?

When we had 200+ bunns, everything was sparkling clean. Cage pans were cleaned every three days (I did 1/3 of the cages every day). Everything canbe well kept and maintained if you are organized and stay on schedule with chores.

We are now down to about 80 rabbits, which is certainly more easier than 200+ ;)

Below are photos of one of my old barns. My set-up now is similar, but the walls aren't finished yet :(We bought 3 old houses, so those renovations have taken priority, but I'd sure like to get my primo rabbitry back. The old one was so nice that the new owners converted it into an apartment.

Pam

Here's one of my barns when I lived in Ohio . . .

OutsideRabbitry.jpg

Before the watering system:

InsideRabbitry22.jpg

DHinsiderabbitry.jpg
God darn that is impeccable Your rabbitry is amazing your buns are so well looked after, I never even new breeders took such good care of there bunnies And such a large number, I hope if I ever get into large scale breeding to run a system like that. All the best in the future pamnock with your rabbitry. What breeds you specialize in?

Peg, it was either 12 x 24 or 12 x 22.

Paul, we've had many breeds over the years and currently have a number of breeds still in the barn. The only breed that my youngest son is currently actively showing and breedingis the Dwarf Hotots.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Peg, it was either 12 x 24 or 12 x 22.

Paul, we've had many breeds over the years and currently have a number of breeds still in the barn. The only breed that my youngest son is currently actively showing and breedingis the Dwarf Hotots.

Pam
Have you ever bred English angora? I love them.

paul2641 wrote:

I took care of and sheared another breeder's angoras, and I've had a few of my own, but never bred them. Wool is a lot of work!

Pam

I just read your whole thread and I'm so sorry someone turned you in. That is just terrible!! All the stress you've been under. I can't imagine.

pamnock wrote:
paul2641 wrote:

I took care of and sheared another breeder's angoras, and I've had a few of my own, but never bred them. Wool is a lot of work!

Pam
Oh cool, Unfortunately we don't have them in Ireland! Very limited on breed selections here lol!

Pam it was really nice to see your barn and rabbits :)
I am getting well jealous of your barns I wish we had barns like that over here

polly wrote:

Thanks Polly. Your set-up is very nice also!

Pam

pamnock wrote:
polly wrote:

Thanks Polly. Your set-up is very nice also!

Pam
Thankyou. That means a lot coming from you. I bet you have seen a lot of set ups :)

TinysMom wrote:
[align=center]GOOD NEWS...

and

bad news...

GOOD NEWS FIRST...

The rabbitry itself passed inspection - although they are going to reinspect it next week (and we'll be making a couple of changes).

THE BAD NEWS...

They're coming back next week to inspect the garage and the outside since we have old cages in the garage (that need to be cleaned) and we had bags of "poo" outside waiting for a dump run.

More details later...
[/align]
I am confused as to why they should be worried about cages in your garage and garbage in your yard.

They feel it is a health hazard (it was some contractor trash bags of poop Art was going to take to the dump) plus the cages in the garage still had some hair on them, etc.

I think a large part of their concern is that the rabbitry is in the house (right off my living room) and not in a separate building.

Latest posts

Back