Rocket, Emily and Bennie

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has been 2 weeks as of today since she was fixed. I have yet to see any problems. She's still as chipper as she was beforehand and she is MUCH BETTER with using the box.

Here is the video of her jumping 3-feet trying to get to the other bunnies when we tried to separate her:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSBR0hptaOo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSBR0hptaOo[/ame]

I know it has been a few weeks since we have updated. Since then we obviously removed the split of the cage due to Bennie's high-jump skills. Also they have chewed completely through their house, so I made a new one that is a little larger to accomodate 3 buns. They haven't quite understood it's a place for all of them to get into yet but time will tell.

We need to contact our backup Bunny sitter, Brandi, due to Sara, Christina and myself will be gone for Ohayocon from Thursday to Sunday night.

Why does good bunny food have to cost $9 a bag? Sure, I guess $18 isn't bad a month for bunny food but geeze the other crappy food is only $5 a bag. Timothy Complete is like twice as much, sure it's good for the buns and they are worth it but is it supply and demand? Timothy hay is pretty cheap since now I found a provider but the food is costly.

Back on the bright side of things. We found a 2lb pack of Romaine at GFS for $5 and got some other things, of course carrots, so we can treat our bunnies. :) I try to get the buns a salad or a big carrot a day so they get their vitamins. It also makes them all happy so I am all for that.

So yesterday I spent 2 hours cleaning the cage due to the holiday, so it went unkept for a week. All I can say is wow... After a week of not being cleaned, it's a disaster. I need a power scrubber or something because barehanded scrubbing doesn't get all of the discoloration off the coroplast. I use a lot of vinegar, thank goodness Aldi's is cheap for vinegar. :) Before I started cleaning the cages, I was trying to get Bennie and Rocket out of the cage. I would grab Bennie and stick her on the couch, do the same thing with Rocket. And then when Rocket was on the couch, Bennie would hop back in the box before I could close the gate. This went for 3 rounds before I gave up, of course all of them left the box when I left then I immediately closed the gate. Muhahaha! I tricked the bunnies!

So after I cleaned the cage, I shook the food bag and poured it in the food dish, both Bennie and Rocket binkied into the cage and started scarfing down the food. Emily was in her favorite hiding spot, under the recliner. So I chased her for 15 minutes and gave up. She waltzed in when she wanted and started eating. I closed the cage then and went to bed, it was nearly 8am when I went to sleep. :p Sure, cleaning the cage was a 2-hour project but corralling the buns is also a 2-hour job. :)

Well, I am gonna get back to work, I have a lot to do before Thursday.

Too bad youre not closer- I would bunnysit for sure! You should check the webpage for the Buckeye HRS. I think they have a list of people who bunnysit for a small fee.

And as for pellets, do you guys have Pet Supplies Plus down there? They special order me a 50# bag of Oxbow Bunny Basics (which is a great timothy based pellet) for only 35.00! Its such a great deal!

Again, I cant tell you how jealous I am of your dutch trio! We need some more pics when you get back!

Ourold bunny sitter was available, so we got lucky. I will definetly contact Pet Supplies Plus about that. Do you have UPC number or order number you can give me so I can make their research easier?

Thanks and I will get more pictures soon. :)

I dont have any type of code, but my PSP usually looks it up in their system. You could probably call to ask if they could order it for you- tell them youve heard of other PSPs doing this.. Its a 50 pound bag of Oxbow Bunny Basics T. It costs about $35.00 with shipping.

They are doing quite well. A few weeks ago they all had check-ups and their nails clipped.

Emily had a cold (the primary reason why we scheduled a check-up for all of them) so the vet gave us some meds. So far she's doing great - much better than being lethargic like she was before.

Bennie has really grown as compared to when we first got her. She now can take first two steps (on the stairs) and keeps getting into small crevices that I wouldn't have thought a rabbit could.

Rocket is as curious as always. He has started jumping up on couches and meatloafing when we're not in the living room. He has really taken towards Bennie in the jumping tendency.

They're all hanging around and eating right now. We put down a 2 liter bottle full of frozen water for them to enjoy since the weather has been really hot and the fans cannot keep up.

I'll let Chris_Kewl update with more information. :D

It's good to see you here! I'm glad they are doing well!

I just read through and am all caught up on Bennie and the Jets :D What an adorable trio! You definitely make me want a dutch sometime in the future!

Now you won't be caught up again as I am posting this...

Boy today is hot! It is 87 degrees at this second and I just gave the bunnies a new frozen bottle to cuddle against. Another reason I am glad I put coroplast on the floors... It keeps cool.

Lets check in on the bunnies:

060808-hot1.jpg

Yes, Rocket is with the bottle while everyone has found a nice corner to chill against.

060808-hot2.jpg

Emily really doesn't seem to care if I pester her with a picture...

060808-hot3.jpg

Yes, Bennie has grown, she's all about the bunny flop right now.

It's a warm one but they went through this last year and it's no warmer than it was last year. I'll just swap them bottles and make sure they are okay. I'll let them run around tonight when it's coolerand change their box while they play.

Yay! Everyone looks beautiful. Again, Im so jealous!

You know what also works great for keeping cool is to buy some ceramic tiles and keep them in your freezer. My bunnies love them bc they dont get so wet like the water bottles and they can lay on them.

Glad to hear everyone is doing well. Its so hot here too and our power went out this AM. Thankfully its back on now :)

Ooh, I like that idea, the problem is this townhouse has a tiny freezer and it's stocked to the gills right now. When we get a house it'll have central air... If it's still a problem with heat I will definetly do that because that sounds like a nice idea.

Though... How big are these tiles? Bathroom tiles or floor tiles? I think I could do bathroom tiles (or the height of a 2-liter bottle). We talking pure clay or the coated for the bathroom? I want to make sure I pick up the right kind.

Thanks!

Chris, another alternative is frozen bricks, which I forgot about! I was trying to find a pic for you that a member put on here of the floor tiles they used, I can't seem to find it:?. So, frozen bricks!:D

Nope, the couch is uber high so they can't. Same goes to the cage. There isn't enough gap between. Thank goodness, though the whole room is bunny proofed. Though, they have gotten out before due to things like locked gates that weren't all the way locked, etc etc.

After owning them for over a year, I think I have them right where I want them. :)

Any kind of tile would work great. The bigger ones are nice bc they can lay on them, but you could buy the small ones that are a few inches wide which would fit nicely in your freezer. The only thing is they dont stay cool as long as the water bottles so you have to switch them out more frequently.

It's been a while since this thread was updated. Chris and I have been so unbelievably busy since then.

Luckily I graduated on Saturday the 15th so it means I have more time on my hands to do things. :big wink:And to help Haley and the gang on a transport recently this weekend.

One sad news though regarding this blog - Emily had congestive heart failure on May 5, 2009. According to our vet, she was born with it but when she got a cold, it made everything worse within such a short time period.

So we all said our goodbyes. She passed away in the company of her brother Rocket and adopted sister Bennie.

We still have her ashes in an urn. We haven't been able to bring ourselves to think on what we will do with it even a year later.

Bennie is still rambunctious along with Rocket. They get along so well. Oh and we moved to our own first house, six months before Emily passed away. So, she did have a chance to have a joy of a room to herself along with Rocket and Bennie instead of cooped up in the cage.

We have some goals for their room but they haven't materialized because Chris has been between jobs and I was focusing to graduate with two bachelors.

So that's the update for now. I don't know if Chris_Kewl will be back on here soon to give an additional one. Hopefully he will. :)

Yay for the update! Im so glad you guys were able to help with the transport this weekend. Thank you soo much!

I was so sorry to hear about Emily. She was really a special girl. Im glad to hear the others are doing well. You will have to post some pics when you get a chance.

And Congrats on your graduation!

Latest posts

Back