Rocket, Emily and Bennie

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kawaii608 wrote:
they are soo cute. what breed are they? And what breed arethe rabbits in petfinders called "bunny rabbits"
They are dutch. When petfinder lists a rabbit as "rabbit" or "bunny rabbit" its just because they dont know the breed.

Yesterday I spent the day making the coroplastboxand I must say that it was so worth it. I doneed to get some D-Rings to close the bottom part of the cage when I amnot trying to enter it, I have some cheap clips that I found around thehouse and they are not doing any justice. I also need to geta side clipping hay bin forthe bunnies, the cardboard one Imade keeps getting knocked over, plus there is limited room now withthe ramp. I also need to velcro the litter tray to the bottomof the coroplast, the buns are redecorating and making the litter go onthe bottom of the tray.

When I am finished shopping and getting everything done on the cagetonight, I will take pictures of how it looks. I like it andI thinkour buns like it too. :)

Chris

Your bunnies sure are spoiled! Dont you just love the coroplast? It makes clean up so much easier.

Cant wait for new pics!

I could have sworn I had replied to this thread...I remember typing it:?
Anyway, OMG Rocket and Emily are so cute!!:inlove: Are theycompletely dutch? Is it just me or does anybody else think they looklike there's a bit of netherland dwarf in them?

I know all about escape artist here too:tongutwo:

Velcro! Why didn't I think of thatbefore? Magnet is insistent on flipping his tray overlately. Awesome, thanks for the tip! :elephant:

Michaela wrote:
Anyway, OMG Rocket and Emily are so cute!! Arethey completely dutch? Is it just me or does anybody else think theylook like there's a bit of netherland dwarf in them?
I think they are pure dutch, just smaller. Ive seen somedutch with shorter ears and blunt heads like that (maxs head is alittle like that). They were 4-H bunnies I think.

I know all about disappearing posts. ;) :D It happens to me all the time.

Yes, Emily and Rocket are so cute! Last night, they exploredpractically everywhere in the living room and I could have sworn theydid some binkies. Rocket kept sniffing me and Chris. Emily was morereserved though, occasionally sniffing and mostly laying under thekitchen table.

This morning, Rocket let me pet him. Emily though, kept going down tothe first level whenever I came through the living room. Once, when Igot home from my class, she bolted for the litter corner on the firstlevel while Chris was petting her. (She was on the second level.):tongutwo::ph34r2 I know, I'm probably mean but I didn't mean tostartle her by just opening the door.

I think when we get new pictures and videos, we'll make a blog in Bunny Blogs and continue from there. :D

If you want I can always move this to the bunny blog section and change the title so you still have these other pics.

I just love these two! Sounds like you guys are doing great with them!

Here is the completed NIC cage, I couldn't findmy velcro so I just used some duct tape under the items.Still unmovable and works quite well.

condo1.jpg

This is a 3x2x2 condo, these guys are 1/2 the height of a square sothey can walk freely around without problems in there. Whenthey want, they can go upstairs to the second floor. Iaccidently was a 1/2 inch too wide when making thesides ofthe coroplast, so the bottom looks bowed out a little. Idon't mind as long as it works. Haley gave me a great idea toclose the cage... D-Rings work fine.

condo2.jpg

Firmly taped to the ground is the litter box. They reallyhaven't had too many complaints about it, thank goodnes. Nextto it is a strapped on hay feeder. Since the NIC cubes wiresare far apart, I had to use zip ties to help stabalize it.You'll notice I use the NIC cube plastic holders as well as zipties. I even zip tied the holders to the NIC cube so theywouldn't come apart. This allowed fora stable 2ndfloor without using plywood.

condo3.jpg

The hole under the stairs is covered because that's where the oldlitter box was and they were liking to use it as a secondary pottyarea, so I blocked it and put a coroplast barrier there. Alsothe cardboard box below helps for them to climb up the ramp.The ramp covering is an old pair of blue jeans.

condo4.jpg

The 2nd floor is carpeted with some reminant we found when we movedinto the townhouse. I wanted them to be able to enjoy theirpatio. :p

condo5.jpg

The cutting wasn't exactly perfect, but the hole for the ramp looksgood enough. They seem pleased and go up and down all thetime. I have a 2nd watering station (water bottle) and somepellets when they want to lounge up here.

You will also notice that there is no ceiling on the 2ndfloor. That is because my bunnies are not jumpers and theheight of the NIC cube is nearly the height when they stand on 2 legs,so there isn't any way they could jump from the 2nd floor that I knowof.

Here is some other pictures:

commandoemily.jpg

Emily sneaking around my wife's feet (you can see the NIC cube box beside her).

pellettime.jpg

It's time for some pellets, look at them enjoying that bowl of pellets. You can tell they are fed well.

Today has been productive and Emily and Rocket did some binkies and ranaround the apartment very happily. We still need to unpack inthe livingroom, but I am pleased with today's work.

Time to go and round them up for bed. Nite!

Chris

Last night I dumped a bunch of vinegar in thebox and wiped it clean; remembering this when I woke up I checked onthe buns and they were very good about not peeing in the samespot. Though, they are still pooing a bit around thebox. Thank goodness that is easy to clean, but still wouldlike them to have near 100% accuracy.

Haley suggests I should switch to a larger box? Do you think it's just them marking their their territory?

Thanks,

Chris

Oh my god. I am so happy you got some bunnies of your own. Three cheers for new bunnies!

[align=center]:party0002::party0002::party0002:[/align]

I think if they are peeing in their litter boxyou should be fine with that one. I know I just had trouble with itbecause my boys would stick their chubby butts over the side;)

Some stray poops are normal. They could just me marking their territoryright now. Also, some bunnies are never 100% great with the box, andwill leave little poops around. One thing you can do to help discouragethis is to pick them up whenever you see them and put them in thelitter box.

Ahh its so dignifying being a bunny owner, isnt it? :D

I don't mind cleaning their poop, I used to clean cow and horse, this is cake compared to that. :p

I wish they wouldn't get startled like they are right now, especiallyin morning/afternoon they seem to be easily startled. I willtry to give pets or a pellet or two and it's instantly out of the toplevel and to the bottom level. :p

Well, that's good to hear. Yeah,the buns are small,they can sit all the way in the box without a problem. :)

Chris

Your two are SO CUTE!! I just love howmuch they look alike, yet subtle differences. :)What a cute couple...

And looks like you've done a really nice living space for them,too! Good job! :) Be careful and watch tobe sure they're not consuming the carpet. My three girls loveto, so I can't give any of them carpet of any sort (can't even let themplay in the cat condo much, because they start tearing off carpet andtrying to eat it). Just something to watch for. Ifyou find you have to take out the carpet, you can get pegboard reallynice and cheap at a place like Home Depot, and they'll cut it to yourmeasurements in-store for free, too! :)

Hugs to all,

Rosie and the Girls :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

P.S. You should make this your Bunny Blog! I can move it/change titles, etc. if you'd like! :)

Sure! :hug:

We have more pictures. Chris was looking for the camcorder earlier but no dice so we'll have to wait a bit longer on videos..

Seems Emily and Rocket are settling in well - no biting of the carpetas far as I see. Last night was pretty funny - Rocket would run aroundthe living room really really fast and jumping in the process. Oh Iwish I had that on video!

Emily was just sitting under the table just chilling until she decidedshe wanted to eat the pellets with Rocket. I had to work on papers so Ihad to go upstairs to the office and leave Chris to their mercy. :D

Okay, cool! I'll move this over to the Bunny Blog section for ya, then!

Let me know if you want to change the title, ok? :)

Hugs!

Rosie and the Girls :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

I'm sure the camera is in a box somewhere, we'll find it right before we move again. :p

The nice thing that I have to mention is that the bunnies went intotheir condo when they were ready and I just closed the bottomdoor. I hope this becomes a habit, saves me from corralingbuns night after night.

There is a little bit of pee next to the water dish, I assume becauseEmily washiding in the litter box. I am thinking Ineed to extend a bit on their cardboardhouse so they willfeel a bit more safe there so they won't hide downstairs.

Chris

The good news is I finally got batteries in thecamera so I can take pictures, however with everything hectic going onI haven't had a chance to take pictures of the critters. Hereis the scoop though...

This weekend we bought some carrots and bananas, figured treats wouldbe nice to bond with our pets. Rabbits easily get addicted tobanana from what I understand, so I have been giving banana verysparingly, I usually eat 9/10 of it then split the last bit between thetwo rabbits. It's nice to have the rabbits eat from my handas well, maybe it will have them trust me a bit more. I havebeen doing the same thing with carrots.

Found out the pellets we have been feeding the rabbits are not good forthem, I am going to bitch to Hartz tomorrow about this. It'sfalse advertising, I guess. I posted about this overat:http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=20898

I have not noticed any more pee spots, which makes my lifehappier. Though they traded in the peeing in the box forchewing on cords. Either Rocket or Emily gnawed through thepower cord for my cordless phone and I assume they gnawed through theUSB plug for my PVR (it's being fickle). This weekend I'llhave to go through the house and patch cords and block those wiresagain.

I've noticed that Rocket and Emily are eating a lot more hay with thenew feeder. This is good. We got a 96oz bag ofTimothy Hay and a crawl tube. The buns are gnawing on thetube and going through it like a champ. Hopefully this willget them more active. I also bought them a cheapie wickerbasket (non glazed or nothing, smelled normal and tasted like wood tome). They are enjoying the new toys so far.

Other than that, we're getting greeted at the gate by Rocket most timeswe come down and when we put them out to run, both Emily and Rocketexplore around and find spots where they are happy, which isgood. Also with our kitchen floors being linoleum they don'tlike it, so they keep to the carpeted areas. That's good withme, I'd hate to be cooking and be tripped up by the buns.

The box is still covered with poo droppings. I got a handcleaner and duster (as well as a spray bottle with 50/50 water andvinegar mix) to clean the box. The goal is to not get myhands messy in the process. So far I am doing a good job andthe coroplast makes cleaning easy, though I wish they'd stick to theboxmore. I do have to say that there isaLOT more in the litter box than outside, so I should be grateful forthat.

We're planning on having friends over on Thursday, so I am curious howthat is going to play out. I think I may make a special penfor the buns to roam in for Thursday. I think we may cook outand I don't want them suddenly going outside from the back door.

That's pretty much it, it's 3:30am and I need to wake up at 10am forwork. I guess I just needed to chat a bit and update...

Note to self: Change battery in smoke alarm, the chirping is getting annoying.

Chris

As I promised this morning, I would havepictures... Here they are, in all of their sepia-tone glory(we really need a new digital camera). Rocket is a camera hogand will get into any picture.

041007-1.jpg

I wanted to take a few pictures of Emily, since she's the real shyone. We just held Rocket for 15 minutes and gave him pets tohelp settle him down. We even just gave a carrot and bananapiece. The calming down didn't last long...

041007-2.jpg

Rocket: I see you're taking pictures, can I join in on the fun?
Emily (doing a double-take): It's my time to shine!

041007-3.jpg

Emily: This is me, take the pictures, get it over with quickly.

041007-4.jpg

Rocket: Is it too late to take my pose?
Emily: Forget it, sheesh! Brothers suck!

041007-5.jpg

I don't think Emily and Rocket were on speaking terms for a few moments...

041007-6.jpg

Finally Rocket went and said he was sorry.

041007-7.jpg

I was able to capture a picture of Emily grabbing some stray hay from the outside of the hay feeder.

041007-8.jpg

Rocket: Enough pictures of my sis, it's my turn!

041007-9.jpg

Emily hides her face in shame.

041007-10.jpg

Rocket: Do you think this is my best side?

041007-11.jpg

Rocket: Are you even paying attention to me?

041007-12.jpg

Rocket: Here is my best side!

041007-13.jpg

Rocket: ... Am I cute or what?

041007-14.jpg

When I tried to take a picture of Emily in the inside the cage, where she hid from Rocket's camera-hogging antics.
Rocket: Ooh so this is where the hay is, it looks so yummy, let me have a bite.

041007-15.jpg

Rocket: ... Fine, take a picture of Emily. Sheesh, you never take pictures of me.

So that's the buns, enjoy the pics!

Chris

Latest posts

Back