Rocket, Emily and Bennie

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the new pics! These two are quickly becoming my favorites here on the forum. They are just precious.

Oh, and for the cords..something Ive found that works great is thiscorrugated plastic tubing you can buy:http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12079&forum_id=17Ifound mine at autozone for very cheap. I found out the hard way thatbunnies love to chew phone cords and especially laptop power cords!

Yeah, and Hartz food is pretty crummy. I bought Kaytee Fiesta foryears, never knowing how horrible that was for my guys. I switched toKaytee Timothy Complete and its wonderful. They are much healthier now.

Gret new pictures!! You and Haley...make my crave a pair of dutch rabbit for my very own.:D I can't wait for you to get some video up - I love yourtwo already!!

Chris is a wiring extraordinaire. ;) If he canfix my alarm clock by splicing a plug for a non-functional item onto myalarm clock plug wire (the plug itself was broken and mangled and itwas a custom made one) - and make it work like a charm, hecan fix the phone, etc. even if they were all chewed up by the buns. ;)It'll take a disaster to stop him from repairing things. ;)

That's probably the reason why I married him. :D (Kidding, sweetheart! I love you.)

Rocket let me hold him. :bunnyheart I even got to carry him around fora few before Chris wanted to hold him. Emily's still very shy. She willnow let me pet her but if she thinks I am going to pick her up, shewill hop away really quickly.

This weekend, we're getting videos for sure!:happydanceThis smiley faceis actually how I feel right now considering I've been extremelylethargic for the past couple months due to a medical reason and yes,I'm so happy to get energy back.

Question - where will we find those pellets that's good for them? Allthe pellets we checked out at Pet Supplies Plus were all not so good.Chris said they shouldn't be getting alfalfa and all of the pellets(even the ones out of the bin) had alfalfa components in it. :?

hmm..some Pet Supples Plus stores carry KayteeTimothy, some dont. You can ask them if they could special order it foryou. Mine does this for me at no extra charge. I usually order a bunchof bags all at once because they only come in 5 or 10 pound bags.

Also, Im not sure what youre using for hay, but you can usually findcheaper (and fresher) hay than the bagged kind. If you call around tolocal horse stables/farmers sometimes you can find Timothy hay for dirtcheap. Or, you can order from sites like oxbow.com orhttp://www.kmshayloft.com/catalog/.Shipping can be expensive, but when you work it out its still cheaperthan buying the little bags.

Cute cute cute pictures!!

Chris, are you an electrician like my wonderful husband? Ifso...then your wife is LUCKY!! I love being married to anelectrician...it's WONDERFUL!! :D

Hugs!

Rosie and the Herd :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

For the first time since we got Emily and Rocket...

041307-1.jpg

I got to hold Emily! She was hesitant for me picking her up but when Idid she sat there and let me pet her. I was trying to cheerup my wife after some bad news. Hopefully it worked.:) Emily was rewarded with some banana, and of course Rocketgot some too.

I found out that we have a local feedstore. They sell Timothy Hay in 1lb bags for $2.79.That's fine and good, much cheaper than we paid,but I calleda stable and they can get me $5.50 for Bail (around 50lbs)ofTimothy. Now this feed store doesn't seem to have Kaytee orOxbow, so I am going to see if they can special order it. Ihave to call back at 3:30pm. They don't have Pestall orsawdust pellets for litter boxes, though I found another place a cityover that has 30lbs of Pestall pellets (she said they are more likecrumbles than pellets), $4.89 for 30lbs. I think this will benice and if Ican get 50lbs of hay, I can share it with my sister-inlawwhose buns go through it fast.

Yayness! I can call back in an hour and get my solution.

Chris

EDIT: Crud, he left for the weekend. Icalled Pet Supplies Plus and they do have "Kaytee Timothy Complete" for$7.48 for a 5lb bag. We'll get a bag today and start weeningoff the other stuff. Next week I should make plans to get thePestall and hay as well.

Aww..snuggle bunny. How cute!

Congrats on finding the hay for so cheap! Just make sure to check formold and such. But that should be much fresher and nicer than thecrappy bagged stuff. Oh, and when you call around to feed stores, youcould ask for Equine Fresh or any sort of pelleted horse stall bedding.Sometimes they are called different things.

Sounds like you guys are all doing well! Cant wait to see some more pics ;)

I just bought a new camera, waiting for it to be delivered, so within the next few days I should have some more pictures.

This Friday we have to go out of town until Sunday, we have a bunnysitter watching our buns. On Thursday we will have to makesure the person is up to speed on on everything. I am notfond of leaving them, but at least they will be at home where they arecomfortable and safe.

Chris

Congrats on getting a new camera!

Oh, and is your pet sitter good with bunnies? I was just looking at thebuckeye house rabbit society's website earlier and they have a list ofpeople who bunny sit! I thought that was pretty cool :)

Sorry for no update, had a death in our family. Will explain in a minute.

So since we were leaving on the 20th for KY to visit my inlaws, I made this new and improved pen!

04-20-07-1.jpg

Yes, it goes the entire width of the livingroom and cuts it into 1/3,but I knew it'd be easier to do this then have the bunny sitter letthem out and sit around for 2 hours.

04-20-07-2.jpg

You can see Emily hiding in her little box house, lets get a sneek peek.

04-20-07-3.jpg

04-20-07-4.jpg

04-20-07-5.jpg

There is Rocket in the hay feeder and in the potty box. Wouldn't it be funny if humans could do the same thing... ;)

04-20-07-6.jpg

What a sad looking bunny. Look at where this bunnyis... Maybe that's the look of mischievousness.Anyways, I will miss them.

So that night our bunny sitter, Kellie, was given theinstructions. In fact, we kept her around until3am. We gave her a key we bought earlier that day and madesure she had a checklist. Hey, she was only going to need tobe there for a few days...

So we get to KY safe and sound. A little while later I get anIM from Kellie saying the key we didn't give her didn't work.So I called the landlord and they said that I would have to let her in,they wouldn't do it for me; I was 8 hours away from them and I wasn'tgoing to drive back. So since they were not being nice, Itold her to break in via the window. Luckily the window wasunlocked and that the screen as easy to pop out. She kept theback door unlocked so she could have easy access to the buns.

So on the next day my wife's grandmother died. It's a shamebecause we had so much in common, I wish we had more timetogether. So we had to go to MO for the funeral. Anice 13-hour drive 1-way...

We finally came back a week later on that Thursday to find this sullen-looking face. This is the look of "I'm sorry!":

05-02-07-1.jpg

Today, a week later, I took some more pictures:

05-02-07-2.jpg

Someone is trying to get my forgiveness... But why?
The rest of the pictures are great, I like this new camera.

05-02-07-3.jpg

05-02-07-4.jpg

05-02-07-5.jpg

05-02-07-6.jpg

While inspecting the pen, I saw this in an area just big enough for them to fit in:

carpet2.jpg

I am not mad at the buns, it's instinct for them to make holes, so I amnot angry. I now understand that they need to be locked upand only let out when I can trust them though.

I went through the rest of the pen and found this:

carpet1.jpg

Notice where Rocket was sitting on the last picture beforeKY? Well, that's the reason. This is a before andafter picture, the pictureon the left was taken on the 20thand the one on the right was taken today. I think Rocket hadsome secret plans. ;)

No, the fuzz was not eaten, they didn't even bother to move it, it wasleft right next to the hole, so they were just doing it to doit. The buns really could care for eating anything but hayand pellets.

The carpet is easy to fix, though I am not going to fix it myself, Iwill just mention it when we move out. It shouldn't be tooexpensive to fix, I could fix that for under $10 myself if I had thesame sample.

Well, that's it for the update. The buns are happy, I justthink they had a bit to much uncontrolled freedom for too long.

Until later,

Chris

Thanks for the update!

Im so sorry to hear about your wife's grandma. That must have been veryhard for you guys. Add to that the frustration with your sitter notbeing able to get in the house...when it rains it pours, huh?

The buns look beautiful, as always. I just love the mischevious looks on their faces:

05-02-07-3.jpg

"you think we chewed what? nope, not us!" :D

My girl Lucy did the exact same thing in my living room. Its hard to bemad at them, as you said, its their natural instinct. Plus theyre toodarn cute to stay mad at.

Haleywrote:
The buns look beautiful, as always. I just love themischevious looks on their faces

[/quote]Yes, they are the mischevious duo, as I said to mywife. That's the new picture I put as my avatar because ofthe looks on their faces as you were posting that reply.Great minds, eh? ;)

Chris

A few nights ago I had a dream about an ideabunny cage that would allow the buns to run around free and give themmore space than the 2 by 3 cage. By adding an extra square onthe ceiling of the 2nd floor and making like a mushroom floor (andreinforcing it with sturdy wood or metal restraints) it would give thema possible 4 by 4 circle to play in and 3 squares for steps, of course.

The downside of this is losing extra space in the livingroom, but wouldbe a neat project nonetheless. I doubt I will do it, but Ijust wish they wouldn't spend all their free time in their littlemakeshift house. I feel a bit helpless with them, I guess.

Chris

I'm so glad to see this site back up and running! The last time I tried to login, it was down and I completely forgot my password.

Rocket and Emily are doing okay but I'm getting kind of concerned since our apartment has been invaded by clutter. I'm just wondering how we can deal with this because it is so heartbreaking to try to clean so Rocket and Emily could roam free only to find MORE clutter! Suggestions would be wonderful!

The summer heat has hit with its mugginess so we made a 2-liter bottle to freeze and place near the bunnies so they could keep cool.

Nothing much is new, really. :?

As soon as I finish I will show you some of what I have done. For space that is.

It has been a long time since I have updated. It is not out of spite and the bunnies are fine. There were a few deaths in the family, the boards here moved and life was just plain busy. The buns had bunny sitters and were happy too. Currently I am on the road and posting from my T-Mobile Sidekick, my friend Sara is watching the buns.

I made that NIC condo, gave myself a few blisters and used a lot of wire ties and NIC squares. They love it. I'll need to take a picture soon. The nice thing is it is next to the back door so I can sweep stray hair/poo/hay out the back yard. Yay for free fertalizer. The rug I used for the 2nd floor needs a good vacuuming too. When I get back into town I'll have to do that and clean the cage.

Now since we're caught up, our neighbor Tim's friend went to Kuwait and his baby dutch (8 weeks old) had to be given away. I offered to take it in and see how she fits in with Rocket and Emily. The bunny looks very similar to emily but caramel instead of grey. She's also smaller but growing. I checked her and sure enough a girl and not fixed, so that'll happen on Monday. I have dubbed her Bennie. (Guess the connection to the bunny names and earn a cookie!)

We didn't have a separate cage so everyone had to share the same cage. The first 24 hours was rough; Rocket was dry-humping her for a few hours, Emily did it once too then chased her around. Tonight before I left all three of them ate from the same bowl and Sara said they've been quiet too.

Now I assume the humping and chasing is just dominance, showing Bennie who is the boss in "the harem". There has been no fights and no biting. Bennie is getting plenty of hay and food, I have been keeping a keen eye on that. Rocket will clean Bennie now and lay next to her, so that's good but do you think after she's fixed will Emily and Bennie get along more? The chasing is aggrevating for me and for Bennie.

Thanks!

Great to see you back here!

You just put them all in the same cage together? Yowza, I'm glad there were no real fights. Bunnies can be quite territorial and usually require a long introduction period to get used to each other. I would pull Bennie and make her her own NIC cage until 4 weeks after she has been spayed. It would really suck if they all got in a fight when she was fresh from surgery.

Then have them play together in neutral territory and see how it works out. Her being quite young could be the reason there have been no major scuffles, but she will go through her "teenage years" soon enough and you want to be really careful.

Good luck and update us with pics!!

Latest posts

Back