(RIP) Pasteurella?? (molar spurs)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just PM'd you the shipping costs info for the Bio-Sponge, for about $80 US she can have it to you on Wednesday if you let her know ASAP.

You may want to check the cost of the product with her, too.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

sas :clover:

Thanks, Sas!

It's not the hemorrhoid thing! It's more like a big lump. It must be the cecum thing. His droppings look more like cecum, if that makes any difference (big clusters, but now all messed up).

"Innocent things" - ready to laugh?
When he was a baby, he used to bite certain things like wooden tables and chairs, esp. a couch (he dug a hole behind it (where nobody could see :ph34r2) to attack the inner wooden structure and try to make that his new surreptitious private hole home). A couple of times we got home and the bunny disappeared and we thought he ran away somehow. Surprise, he was into the couch! (I bet you've never heard about this before LOL) It was "fun" for him but I surely got rid of the couch, but that was many months before I traveled. The chairs and table are still here, but he doesn't bite them anymore. My brother keeps saying he's too old for biting wood (he doesn't even show interest in twigs like before). We also say jokes about him missing the couch too much to bite the chairs and cables. I can even leave the tv cable down and he does nothing. Could it be... THE COUCH..??????

:faint::thud:

That's gonna be tough.
It was a long time ago.. I hope it's not. He has plenty of chairs... we're not replacing the couch as we know it's gonna become improper bunny chewing material and home. And when I traveled, he stayed in another city (no couch or chairs within his reach, but that was when he didn't like them already).

:sofa:

** I've just replied the email. Hopefully I can buy less quantity (1 pound is a bit much), and the customs house tends to be mean and take longer to let go purchases above a certain value..

You can buy the Bio-Sponge by the tube for small pets.

And yes, I should have thought of that. The Canadian Customs would also hold it for inspection.

For that matter, I had asked and they can't ship to Canada because Customs won't let it through at all. And while Brazil will let it through, they will probably hold it for awhile before they do.

Keep up with the pellet slurry, probiotic and the Flagyl.

sas :clover:

Thanks for all Sas!

I hope it's ok for my bun to have anesthesia tomorrow. And I hope the after-procedure/anesthesia doesn't have this mucus and watery stuff, they're creeping me out!

Yes, I've been giving the pellet slurry, probiotic and flagyl. I wish I could also give that vet some injections and make HIM lose as much fluids and mucus as my bun, and feel the discomfort he caused in him. I believe what we do comes back to us sometime. He'll have it. And I more than hope that you get more than all the good things you deserve!
:big kiss:

Thanks for the good vibes!!

The dentist said he could extract that (ONE) tooth if it still had the recurring spur. Said he'd talk to me to decide what to do after seeing the teeth, but he didn't. I don't think he knows about the "opposite" tooth extraction rule, as he was willing to extract only 1 tooth.

No tooth was extracted. Lower jaw teeth were filed again, 1 spur was found in the same bad tooth (1st pic), 1 spur in the opposite tooth (1st pic below). Tongue has a big lesion (pointed at the 3rd pic in the sequence with arrows). Upper teeth were left misaligned (last pic). Dentist said he wants to know if my bun doesn't eat because of spurs or also malocclusion.

Milu3Odontovet.jpg

There was something sticky on bun's fur (superficially on his back), yellowish. (pics below). On the same spot, but close to the skin, some white crusts. Maybe they gave an injection and some fell out on his skin? I asked if they gave an injection to my bun, they said "nothing there". They had said they gave him medication though (I don' know what).
My bun didn't have this thing when I gave him to them.

pele2.jpg

pele3.jpg

pele1.jpg

Back home, bun was grinding his teeth. I don't even know if I should/cold give medicine today as I don't know what was given by the dentist (Rimadyl - ?) and I fear drug bad interactions.

Bun fell asleep but woke up grinding his teeth loudly again. The dentist said maybe bun's not happy with the misalignment of the upper teeth, but maybe it's anesthesia and we should wait and see what happens. I don't think it has to do with anesthesia.

My bun has been losing a LOT of weight and fluids, is distressed and grinding teeth frenetically, consuming energy he may not have.

His weight:
1st procedure (January): he had already lost lots of weight when he was weighed, after weeks of starvation and mouth smelling acetone. He was 2.5 Kilos (thin already)
2nd procedure (April)= 2.2 kilos
3rd procedure (May) = he's 2 kilos only, skin and bones.
That's 1/5 of his weight lost in 4 months.
I don't want him wasting his energies in vain, he's alreasy losing fluids with the crazy mucus, that is still haunting us.

I told the dentist I'd rather have my bun without teeth than suffering with the ones he has. He said we can't do that, and that bun will suffer with extractions (whatever number it is). Also pointed that it's not easy to extract rabbits' teeth.

Bun now ate 3 bites of broccoli leaf and 3 pellets. Also some sunflower seeds. After the 3rd bite of broccoli he started the grinding his teeth again.
The dentist will only work again on Friday, so I hope my bun eats better soon. He now drops all I give him with the syringe by grinding his teeth.

Still I'm glad my bun is alive, he's such a warrior, he never dies!!!
Thank you all for your priceless support!

:hug: :bouquet:

My internet connection has been slow, so I could only finish uploading this now. A video of my bun grinding his teeth.
Now he's been back home for more than 12 hs and he's not grinding his teeth as aggressively and loudly as before, but he's been "chewing nothing" and he doesn't stop. I don't know if he's getting better or tired of the loud grinding.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aw1vNFlYzE[/ame]

If you believe that medication leaked from an injection given at the vets then I would clean the area off his fur so that he doesn't ingest it when he grooms himself.

if the spur was growing into his tongue then I would think that he would feel much better now.
I watched the video and it is very dark, however, I could see the mouth motion.; is this actually grinding of teeth or or constatnly. moving his mouth

Itappears that something inside his mouth is bothering him quite a bit. my rabbit never did anything like that after his teeth were done.

I would go ahead and give pain meds.

to be honest I cannot believe that your bun is still fighting after going through so much.
keep us updated. :pray:

I was inserting pellet pieces in my bun's mouth and felt his incisors misaligned. Checked them and they don't look good anymore. They were aligned before. My bun strongly smells medicine (not the other times he had dental procedures. The thing on his back was probably stuff from an injection). I cleaned the area, but it still smells strong and fur feels slightly "harder" at the site.

miluincisors.jpg

bump

I am really terribly busy of late but I'd like to know if Milu (is that his name?) is doing ok.
:pray:

He FINALLY produced some droppings!!! After that he started eating more and got a little happier, too, so I dropped all medicine, including Flagyl.
Funny thing is that he doesn't drink any water (since the last dental procedure). I give it to him via syringe. The fact that he produced droppings and ate is good enough, though, I'm happy.
:litterhealthy: :woohoo

I'll have to talk to the dentist to see what he'll do as a next step, as the teeth are still all there. I guess I should stop worrying about the scary things my bun goes through, he's a "rock rabbit", thanks to the directions you gave me!
:muscleman:

Thank you for everything!!
* yes, his name is Milu! :)

Sorry, I didn't know well what to say while waiting.... I was worried to death, but he turned out to be ok! I just hope his dentist has something in mind about the extraction(s).. I'll let my bun eat and gain some weight before returning to the dentist, though. Strangely, he still won't drink water. But that's "ok" considering all the rest! :)

Thanks to all of you!!
:big kiss:

Mmmm I'll ask about this, just in case..
My bun sneezed white mucus again 2 nights ago. After the mucus came out he didn't sneeze anymore.
He's been eating well, also drinking water on his own, he's even happier and playing more. Bathroom activities fine too. I just keep wondering if the white mucus could be pasteurella (for some reason this idea is stuck in my mind) or if he caught a cold, or if this is "normal", or a reaction to his misaligned teeth. He doesn't seem bothered except for when he sneezes and the thick white mucus comes out. He had these episodes very sparsely (3 onsets in life, all happened this year, after his dental issue was 1st treated). As our vets are destructive, I prefer to ask you what you think.

The 1st time ever my bun had this I gave him zythromax and the mucus stopped. Well, until he had it for the 2nd and 3rd times, that is. I'm not sure if this has to do with the fact that when I syringed food, my bun "drooled" and got wet (around mouth, neck and a tip of 1 paw) for some time (got a cold?) or if it has nothing to do with it (pasteurella? nothing?)
I don't know if I should give him more antibiotics. I feel bad for him, always on medicine and having dental work done.. and I thought it was easy to be a rabbit!

Thanks!

Most rabbits have a "pasturella" type bacteria in their system , however, their immune system keeps it in check.

I used to have a bun who would have white snot inside his nostrils and he would just sniff it back inside ; it never dripped and he never showed other symptoms

the vet felt that I should let his immune system handle it and that is what I did.

My dental patient bunny , RIP Beau , often got some URI symptoms when his teeth were especially infected .

Iwould guess that your guys dental problems make it more difficult to ward off latent bacteia.

I don't think that what you are describing now warrants treatment, however, you should watch him and consider treating if symptoms increase.

he still sounds like he is doing well

Thanks a lot, Angieluv!
He doesn't show any symptoms now, so I'll let it be. What are the URI signs of the infection? Sometimes, when my bun stops eating, his pee gets smelly and the last time (some weeks ago) I saw some "substantial" stuff in it, I don't know what it was, but it looked firmer than what it was supposed to be. Now it's all normal, but it's good to know just in case. Oh, I gotta check who won the contest!! :)

*** Sorry to hear about Beau... :innocent :bunnyangel:
He must be playing with my 1st bunny who "traveled" to the same place as her...

I want to agree with all the stuff Angieluv said here. I wouldn't worry about a little snot, but if it occurs for more than one day in a row, it should be seen. I also think the urine stuff you were talking about when he stops eating is from dehydration. Most bunnies stop drinking when they stop eating too, and that can cause urinary problems. I saw your blog too--great pics! Glad he's doing ok lately!

Thank you Claire and Maureen, I feel better knowing your opinion. He's been a happy boy lately. I know he'll pass through more "stuff" so I want him to be happy now. RO is helping a lot! :)

Latest posts

Back