(RIP) Pasteurella?? (molar spurs)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ouch, poor Beau! What a brave rabbit resisting for all that time. He was very special for sure! :bunnyangel:

Ah, thanks Claire for having read my bun's blog!

Hmmmm... Milu has been "ok" lately, still eating (not 100% but still enough to be considered "alright"), but I've noticed his urine has been brownish in the last days... I don't know if this is something I should worry about. It's been a little more smelly than usual too. He drinks water on his own, not like after the dental procedure, when I had to syringe it or he wouldn't drink it.
He hasn't been taking any medicine and has been happy and naughty as usual when he's ok. :)
About the nasal white mucus, I haven't seen any lately. His nose /mouth are always wet but it's clear stuff, not white. He hasn't been sneezing lately (at least not so bad that I've noticed)
Thanks a lot, again!

I've made this video of MILU eating carrot tops tonight. If you turn up the volume, you can hear a sound (more at the end of the video) like "creek, creek, creek" (it gets louder when MILU comes closer to the mic, sniffing the camera). That's the sound os his teeth when he chews (not of food being chewed) - perhaps misaligned and that's why there's this noise?? I'm glad he's been eating anyway.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhsM5HBxB98[/ame]

Is Milu neutered?
Has he had the dark urine before? (as I recall he did have dark urine at one time.)

It Could be a bladder infection ; I would keep an eye on it.
he is absolutely adorable in the video and looks really great; yes I can hear the tooth sound that he makes when he chews.

To me, that sounds like normal eating to me. I have heard quite a few rabbits eat and make noises like that. I'm pretty sure I've heard that noise when eating hay and other hard/chewy

I'll have to listen to my rabbits eating something chewy like hay and see if any of my rabbits make that noise.

-Dawn

Maureen, he's not neutered. He had this issue before (when he couldn't eat and I had to syringe food and water because of his dental problem). He got ok soon. The chewing noise appeared after the 1st dental procedure. I don't recall him making that sound before.

Dawn, if you think that sound is natural, that makes me feel better. He was chewing soft carrot tops, I thought it's strange that he made that sound, and that he never had it before his 1st dental procedure...

I started giving MILU bottled water and his pee got normal again. Hopefully it was the quality of the water that made his pee dark. It was filtered, but who knows if that filtering was doing the job ok... I hope that was the problem.

Just wondering if I should worry about this: MILU has always had some "lumps" under his chin. I don't know if they're supposed to be normal. He already had them when he did the x-ray. They can't be seen, not read, not too swollen, I can feel them by touching the place and "massaging" it. MILU doesn't like to be touched there much.
I've noticed that it's been wet lately. Not wet from mouth drool, or food/water. It's not too wet, just a tiny bit, enough for me to notice it's wet. When I pass my finger, it soon dries from the fingertip. I washed it some times, then I stopped washing to figure if the "wetness" would stop, and a little crust formed.
*** The fur in this part of his chin has always been "harder". MILU uses his chin to "test" new food - he rubs his chin on food and then he knows if it's safe or not (well, that's what I figure, he always does that to new food or things to him). I don't know if this spot is supposed to be like this.
Still I have the solid impression that the inner lumps in his chin are more evident than before, and that now there is wet stuff and crust that weren't there before. :(

MILU had the lumps when since he went to the vets here for the 1st time, and whenever I asked them, they all always said "I don't know what that is". They say there's no abscess but I don't know what else this could be. Hopefully it won't have to do with the misalignment of the incisors, caused by the vets last time MILU visited them. :(

It seems to me that if the lumps were actually jaw abscesses that they would have grown very quickly. it is possible that these are some type of abscesses but not the typical ones that blow up over night and are hard.
The crusty wetness under the chin is something familar to me; if he eats wet food ( like my Beau did ) then it is the food sticking to his chin.

Are yousure that he is not drooling and the food is sticking to the saliva and drying which would indicate more problems in his mouth with his teeth.

I feel bad for you becauseI just cannot say 'take him to the vet"

Wetness outside the mouth is definitely not normal.

This may be totally off here, but I had a cat who had bumps under her chin. I had the vet look at it and he said it was blackheads. From rubbing her chin on stuff such as food and water bowels or whatever they decided to rub their chin on. However, when you looked at her bumps they looked a little black just like a black head a human would have. I would think if they were blackheads your vet would have known it though. Can you move the fur around a lump to see if there is any color there?

Maureen, the vets all said "I don't know what that is", even with x-rays.
I'm actually starting to fear them more than the illnesses themselves. The last time MILU saw the "best" vet ever, it was Randy and advice from all of you from RO that saved him from what the vet caused. Plus, last time we saw the dentist, he made something that misaligned the incisors that were aligned, and told me it seems like the whole jaw is misplaced, and he only filed the lower teeth, it was supposed to have been the simplest procedure done, as other times he filed lower and upper teeth. Isn't any savvy vet willing to move to Brazil? :)

About drooling, sometimes MILU drools, sometimes not. He'll see the dentist soon again, but as he's still eating, I'm letting him gain some weight. I'm sure his chin was wet at least for 2 days when he wasn't drooling, and his mouth was dry. His nose has been wet lately, more than drool.
It seems like the crust is the wet stuff gathered and crusting. Well, I hope it's food!

The lumps are not too hard and don't grow too fast. They've been there for some time. I wonder if they could be glands that got a little swollen and I'm worried about "nothing". I know my rabbit too well, I notice the smallest changes. He has some similar lumps in his back and other spots under his skin, but those never changed.

Amy: you've got a point! MILU rubs his chin in lots of stuff all the time. It's hard to examine MILU's chin but I'll try to see what's there.

Thank you both for your input! :)

I'm finally posting the pics of MILU's 4th dental procedure (performed in July). The upper pics are before, and the lower ones after he had his teeth filed. It's funny how MILU's incisors seemed misaligned (I even took a pic, which I posted on his blog), but in the dentist's pic they're ok.

MILU has been doing well, he's not 100% but pretty good, no worries so far! :)

MILU4-1.jpg

The teeth look good in the second pic! Thanks for sharing these pics with us. It really helps us understand this part of rabbit medicine.

I'll always post the pics of MILU's dental procedures. I've been giving him more tree branches (I put them in front of MILU's face and only take them out of there after he gives a few bites a day at least, or he won't touch them). I also found out that he likes to eat rosemary :) . I bought some fresh branches that eventually got dry and he likes them dry even better than fresh. I guess it must be good for his teeth. The last (4th) procedure was on July 06. I hope he doesn't have to have one every month anymore. I'll keep you posted about his situation, though, thanks!

hi again, MILU has been doing pretty well (he still scares me sometimes, but in the end he gets ok without major problems).. I hope all your bunnies are doing good too!! :)

He's dying..... I was traveling and when I came back on Friday he was ok, sniffed my stuff, stayed in my room with me.... (but I didn't see him eating).

Yesterday he was weird. I noticed he didn't eat at all... I noticed some noise in his belly and thought it was just a stomachache or gas, which sometimes he has, but then he always gets better before the next morning. My mother told me to leave him alone and that maybe he was sick because I'm always around him and he wants to be alone. I don't think that was the problem.

Today he was weak, not yet recovered so I started worrying for real. I syringed water and food but it seemed to have a bad effect on him. He's just had spasms (convulsions?) kicking (while laying down) and finally got knocked unconscious. His eyes are open and he's stiff like a stuffed animal. However, I believe he's still alive. I don't feel any heartbeat or breathing because his chest is really stiff, but when my other bunny Fedorento died, his eyes kind of "faded", and MILU's eyes are still like the eyes of a bunny who's alive, they didn't fade. He's also not "cold", he's kind of warm still, although not too much. I wonder if he had something that caused him to get paralyzed, I have the impression that he's still alive. Please let me know if the body stiffness and absence of nostril movement mean that he died. He's such a good bunny that he waited for me to come back from my trip to say good-bye. Even if he's still alive, I guess there's not much to do besides taking him somewhere to put him to sleep, is there anything else I can do (considering our vets suck)? I'm keeping him warm and covered just in case. I don't want him to suffer any more. Hopefully there will be something I can do to bring him back and make him recover movement. He would turn 6 years old on January 19th.. (well, from the date when he came to my home. He was actually 6 already, as he was about 2 months old when he arrived into my life)
Thank you for everything!

As I suspected, he's still alive! I put my ear in his chest and heard a very feeble sound of heartbeat or whatever that is. Very slow and very low, but there is something still alive in him! He's got his eyes open (one looks a little bad, the right one looks normal) and his whole body is stiff, but he's still alive! Any tips on how to proceed are more than welcome!!!!!!!!
I'm keeping him warm, wrapped him in warm clothes. Is there anything I can do or I'll have to put him to sleep, given that he won't be able to eat at all???
:in tears:

Latest posts

Back