(Resolved) Time sensitive decision - Please advise

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prayers5-1.jpg

Vet said -

Great collar! (LOL)

No Pen G *I know how back an forth some are on this issue, just passing along what Vet said*

Don't put iodine anything so close to his eye

Said Terramycin is ok, but Im probably dosing too little - not effective enough. Supposed to get back to me on that

3.7lbs

Slight Fever

Gave animax cream (nystatin-neomycin sulfate-thiostrepton-triaminolone acetonide cream USP) for his shoulder twice daily

Gave fougera (neomycin and polymyxin B sulfates, Bacitracin Zinc, and Hydrocortisone Acetate Ophthalmic Ointment USP Sterile) for his eyes twice daily

Gave 21ml Chloramp... (?dr handwriting) dosed at 1.5ml orally twice daily (bunnies like marshmallow taste, keep refrigerated)

I have to go buy Wound Wash Saline for the shoulder

Eyes should start to clear up. The better looking eye appears hazy - possible future sight trouble

Shoulder needs to soften to see how big the wound is exactly. May need to soften and remove scab then give a fast healing agent cream if he can't be sutured at all

Sore hocks

Since he's lived since Friday and still eats/drinks/eliminates a guess of survival is about 60% if he's lucky.

No immediate need for euthanasia.

ETA: He loves the oral medication!

Awe ... poor little guy is trying to be a good patient. :D I love his shelf (I was going to ask what you used, but you posted that). I bet he feels so much better already.

You are his guardian angel!!! We are so proud of all you do for all the bunners in your care! :p

myheart

60% chance of survival... I hope that he will make it with your awesome care! He seems like such a tough little bunny. It amazes me how delicate but tough rabbits can be. You always hear about bunnies passing away after little, short illnesses or small accidents (or things like breaking their backs from binkying in their cage), then ya hear about this little dude.

Thanks for taking such good care of him and giving updates!

Did the vet give a reason for no Pen G? Is the drug Chloramphenicol? I think that's what I got (the second time around) for Scooter's cat bit, I'll have to check. Did he think a stronger oral dose of Terramycin would have been a better bet than injected Pen G? This will be good info for the future.

I found this thread worrisome from the start, and still do. I'm a bit relieved that the vet was the one to see that even though he looks good, this bunny may not make it. The critical point is usually 72 hours from the time of the injury. :(

Scooter remained active with a great appetite for that long. He actually crashed with a piece of parsley in his mouth. I'm assuming the infection went systemic. He went glassy-eyed, lethargic, started seizing within the hour and died. I had an issue trying to rush him to the vet -- I couldn't get a cab -- but there was a small possibility that with sub q's, massive antibiotic doses, an incubator (shock therapy?) and/or whatever, he may have made it through that stage.

I hate to be passing on this info, and I really hope he'll sail through this. He's certainly having a great few days thanks to your care.

sas :pray:

Pipp wrote:
Did the vet give a reason for no Pen G? No
Is the drug Chloramphenicol? I'm not sure. I'll try to get a picture of the label posted.
I think that's what I got (the second time around) for Scooter's cat bit, I'll have to check. Did he think a stronger oral dose of Terramycin would have been a better bet than injected Pen G? Nothing was said, just that Pen G is not recommended.
The critical point is usually 72 hours from the time of the injury. :( I didn't know that - thanks for passing this on!
...I hate to be passing on this info... Its better to be prepared and reminded, than shocked if the outcome declines.

Leaf wrote:
Pipp wrote:
Is the drug Chloramphenicol? I'm not sure. I'll try to get a picture of the label posted.

Photobucket is down for maintenance but I'll upload as soon as they're up again.

From your spelling, most likely. Vet had a few doozy moments in handwriting but I think you may be right. Once seeing the word typed out I can see the "icol" at the end. Just before those letters though...

He (confirmed) seems quieter today, but with attitude. Much laying down, but was appreciative of fresh food/water. Lots of poops in the pen and floor surrounding.

Feet still pretty much untreated but much cleaner.

Side wound is still stiff. I'm to massage pus out of it. Did so with some release before applying cream.

Eyes! Right eyeball looks good. Injury above may have some lessening in swelling. The bad left eye - remarkable in the swelling gone down. Dried pus on lower eyelid, NO discharge from the upper lid present at this point. Slit opening may be a bit wider. New cream put on.

Marshmallow internal medicine received eagerly, must taste as good as the smell. I'll have to call vet - 1 1/2 ml 2X daily for 7 days (just noticed the 7 days instructions) - definantly don't have enough for the prescribed doseages. I did tip the container when opening but did not spill a huge ammount...

Punk attitude- kicks me, chewed my jacket, bit my hand... doesn't seem to be in more pain, maybe feeling a bit better and more spunky? Not too sure considering his more mellow behavior in the cage.

Still get the down for maintenance screen from photobucket...

His eyes are looking a LOT better. His side is still pretty hard but the big opening on the wond seems to have closed.

I put the cream on his eyes today but didnt get around to doing his side yet. He was more interested in fighting me.

We played a game of tug-of-war with the skin on the back of my hand. I won, as he FINALLY let go. Now my hand is sore and puffy, he's frustrated and so Im going to wait a few hours before working on his side. I need to go pick up the wound spray still, anyway.

When I go to pick my cat up from her spay I'll stop by the store (first) on the way since I'll pass it then.

it just occured to me that maybe when you brought up the possibility of using Pen G that the vet didn't know that you meant subqutaneously
It sounds like he's just holding even

angieluv wrote:
it just occured to me that maybe when you brought up the possibility of using Pen G that the vet didn't know that you meant subqutaneously
It sounds like he's just holding even
I never tought of that myself. I'll have to clarify the next time I take him in.

Leaf wrote:
Leaf wrote:
Pipp wrote:

Photobucket is down for maintenance but I'll upload as soon as they're up again.

From your spelling, most likely. Vet had a few doozy moments in handwriting but I think you may be right. Once seeing the word typed out I can see the "icol" at the end. Just before those letters though...
Photos962.jpg

http://www.ontariorabbits.org/health/healthinfo1.1.htm

http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~jwmoore/bicillin/bicillin.htm
That looks like chlorphenical but he has strange 'e's

Maybe the vet doesn't know about injectable bicillin. if you feel that he is not getting better maybe you could print out these articles and bring them in to the vet.
I think that 7 days is not long enough for him to be on antibiotics considering the problems that he has.

Chlorophenical is supposedly a good drug butI haven't used it. I think Randy would say that he should be on drugs longer.

How is our dude doing now? I keep checking the thread for updates! Thanks for taking such good care of him.

Latest posts

Back