(Resolved) Time sensitive decision - Please advise

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's ok...

Little buggar likes to bite and has decided being held is a BAD thing. Most of his care is done cradled in my arms. I can appease him with his yummy medicine right away, but not for long.

I'm tired this morning after a long nights work but of course he was cared for.

He's been moved to a new cage. More spacious, not big. Now that he can see better I'm more confident with him moving around more. Plus, I am hoping some of his attitude was from being confined. Wood and wire enclosure with a door on the side and top openings. Vetbed as the base. Food, water, litterbox and a small bundle of hay (YAY!).

Right eye continues to heal. Most of the wound is "sticky" in his fur right now. I need to clean it off real well but he was being too bouncy/bitey.

Left eye has a good opening now. Surely he can see much better. Eyelid has a T split in it but it looked like most of the junk is out, if not all. Still has dried goobers on it, but again he was a handful to handle.

Side wound - yesterday it looked sealed shut. Today there was crust I picked at. I was able to get some junk off of it. As vet said, I squished at the wound to move any pus (some, much less than expected) and that broke free some scabbing in the middle. Around the edges is VERY tight still.

He's getting quiet time now in his new digs. I plan on sleeping away a good few hours but when I get up he'll go through a very good cleaning and I'll be replacing his existing collar with a new one, as the current one is showing faint signs of chewing.

I want to work him over several hours before I go to work so I can keep an eye on how he takes it all.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have time to get some pictures of everything for continued updates. :)

His side wound is drying up a lot on the outside.

I need to change his collar, do you think it would be ok to leave him without one on for about half an hour? I want to clean the wound as well as possible but dont want the new collar to get damp when I put it on him again.

I cant decide whether it would be bad or not to give him freedom for a bit.

I know he itches like crazy there since he constantly tries to scratch and lick.

If you are with him you could leave the collar off him for awhile. It would be allow a little air to get in and give him a break
as long as you are with him

angieluv, he cleaned it like crazy but I think it's ok. I'm suprised at all the junk he got off there but am VERY happy to say I see a lot of nice pink healthy tissue around the edges. The center has a SMALL yuck spot that is mostly dried up.

I dont have time now to get pictures and have a busy day ahead of me but I do plan on posting updated pics of his progress.

The wound is big, but maybe, maybe not as bad as I had fretted over.

I think it's utterly fantastic what you've done and will continue to do for that sweet bun. He may be a fighter/biter, but he's deserving of your love. And I hope he'll learn to trust you and soak up all the sweetness that you rain down on him.

:biggrin2:

Pictures from today, out enjoying the sun:

You can see his left eye is open, even in the light!

Photos963.jpg

Closeup of the eye, and his nose is much better:

Photos966.jpg

Wound on his side (looks better from afar ;) ) - I've got to say, upon really looking at the picture, it's probably one of the wost I've taken, given all the angles etc.. LOL

Photos964.jpg

ContentBunny:

Photos965.jpg

Leaf, his eye looks so much better! You're doing a great job with him! Looks like he was enjoying his time in the garden as well, he's sooo cute :)

How's his shoulder looking?

How does he seem to be emotionally? Is he afraid of anything likecertain noises or other critters? He looks comfortable with being outside....

myheart

myheart, he hates me.

Honestly, the better he feels the worse he responds to me. I know he was in pain, and who knows what he came from so I'm sure he isn't really associating me with anything good at all at this point.

It's funny because I've had animals that respond wonderfully almost immediatly after they begin to feel better, 100% attitude turnarounds.

With him, the better he feels, the more feisty he becomes. He grunts, bites, lunges and runs from me most of the time.

I'm so glad his strength is returning and he's looking so much better but we have a long way to go emotionally, I'm afraid.

He's here, he's getting healthier and thats what really counts. I have no plans on giving up on him so there are no worries there.

He is.. home. :)

mouse_chalk wrote:
How's his shoulder looking?

It's drying up, but gross. The pink new skin on the outskirts of the wound is very thick. I don't know what to do about that but right now it isn't a concern. I don't want to aggrivate it in any way until the center heals more though.

Once that dries up better and starts to pink out I may work with some bag balm. At this point I'm not sure if any hair regrowth will happen. If not, he'll just be unique I suppose.

I'll try to get pics later when I go to put cream on his eyes and shoulder.

Right now he isn't reall happy with me. At all.

Leaf wrote:
myheart, he hates me.

:?

Honestly, the better he feels the worse he responds to me.
:?:?

With him, the better he feels, the more feisty he becomes. He grunts, bites, lunges and runs from me most of the time.

Well, at least you've bona-fide proof that he's feeling better, since a sick bun usually hasn't the will to lunge and run (much less grunt and bite). ;)

I'm so glad his strength is returning and he's looking so much better but we have a long way to go emotionally, I'm afraid.

:pray: I'll tryto help speed up the emotional-healing process. :pray:

He's regaining hisphysical energy; I've faith that you'll help him to regain his trust (or to develop it for the very first time). :hearts:
He's here, he's getting healthier and thats what really counts. I have no plans on giving up on him so there are no worries there.
:hug:

Goodness, what a difference. Just goes to show what kindness, care and patience can do. Great job.:)

Sorry that he is taking out all his 'attitude' on you. I guess that since you are the one doing everything to him, that is only natural. Perhaps, with time, and when he doesn't have to keep being treated, that will change.

Jan

myheart wrote:
Leaf wrote:
:bunny19

Hey now...!!! I just realized something.... If he is home, what is his name?!!!! I went through the entire thread looking for his name. I saw the word Marshmallow at the beginning of a sentence and realized it was the flavor of his medicine.Then you called him a "little bugger" (out of love, I am sure).

So what is his name?

myheart

myheart wrote:
Hey now...!!! I just realized something.... If he is home, what is his name?!!!! I went through the entire thread looking for his name. I saw the word Marshmallow at the beginning of a sentence and realized it was the flavor of his medicine.Then you called him a "little bugger" (out of love, I am sure).

So what is his name?

myheart

:ponder:I really don't know. I've been calling him "Little Punk" but I don't think it'll stick. I sure hope not!

He's had so many ups and downs with his attitude that it's hard to tell what would be fitting at this point.

Latest posts

Back