(Resolved) Time sensitive decision - Please advise

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well have a few updates but I think people may be mad at me.:?

I was rear ended on my way to the vet to pick up Simon so not only was I a no show to the vet to pick him up (it happened a little after 4:25pm and the office closed at 5:00pm) but I never got to the feed store before IT closed.

I was riding with a friend so my car is ok but we both ended up in the ER for a few hours to be evaluated. I now have to go back to the doctor about my back. I already have an injury that is now pretty aggrivated.

So...

Other than him still being alive, not a lot has changed. Just about an hour ago I washed his eyes and his side, clipped more hair and fed/watered him again. Still eats well, drinks and poop looks good.

I have new pictures to upload. I can tell some improvement on looks alone about the eyes but a lot of that is just because the pus is mostly gone. The worst eye (left) had a little pus in it but nothing like before.

I dont think my pics came out real clear (the ones I will be posting shortly) because I dont know what setting to do for closeups but they show somewhat of a possible improvement, if only for cleanliness.

The side will take a long time to heal. It still doesnt look festered and its pretty dry. Once I get him to the vet I dont know if they'll maybe debrief the whole area. I'm sort of guessing so.

I'm assuming he was attacked due to his eyes/nose so that could be the probblem on his side, easily but the wound looks like... well, similar to a wound a cuterebra would make.

Leaf, how could people be mad at you for getting in a car accident?! I'm just glad you're okay... It could have been so much worse! I hope your back isn't bad off. You can just get the meds later today, as well as your cat. What an ordeal, did you ever get any sleep?

I'm just disgusted with everything. And I hurt now. I have gotten some sleep off and on again but nothing relaxing.

The vet office had left a nasty message on my machine because I hadn't picked Simon up. I dont go to that vet so I dont know them and now I'm humiliated and have to face them. Plus, Im sure there will be other boarding charges to pay.

I have the money, it's just the concept.

Plus, I strongly feel that if you take an animal in it should be cared for immediately and so far I've dropped the ball with getting help for the rabbit. Today I can go to the feed store. It's just a matter of waiting until places open up.

All of the pictures I took earlier will have to be redone. I did them on the portrait setting and they are so fuzzy they arent worth uploading.

GRR!

Oh gosh Leaf, what a day you had! :shock: Of course it's not your fault that you couldn't get things sorted for the bunny, a car accident is hardly your fault! I'm glad you're ok and that it wasn't more serious...:hug:

If it helps, to get close-up pictures of his injuries, you can use the macro function if your camera has one (looks like a little flower symbol) :)

I'm glad to hear he seems to be holding up ok still...

Leaf wrote:
mouse_chalk wrote:
If it helps, to get close-up pictures of his injuries, you can use the macro function if your camera has one (looks like a little flower symbol) :)

:big kiss:I NEVER knew that!Now maybe I won't hate my camera so much...
Glad I could help! :D

Ouch, poor baby, those injuries do look painful.... :?

Ok I bought a whole bunch of stuff but dont know what it is. I went to a feed store but it didnt have Penicillan, bicillan (combi-pen 48) and I forgot to get Baytril at the vet because I was so mad at them about my cat but thats a different story.

So anyway I bought a (J197) 1lb bag of non sterile cotton roll and three PowerFlex flexable cohesive bandage things so I can make a good soft e-collar for the rabbit.

I know those are ok for him. ^^ The rest below :dunno

I bought Clear Eyes sterile eye care forumla for horses (soothes, cleanses, brightens for daily use to promote clear, bright eyes)

Gentle Iodine Wound Spray (for skin and umbilical disenfection, superficial wounds, teat sores - No sting, No alcohol)

DIONNE brand - pvp iodine ointment - topical antiseptic - for external animal use only active ingredient Polyvinylpyrrolidone-Iodine complex

Terramycin (oxytetracycline HCI) Soluable Powder A broad spectrum antibiotic for control and treatment of specific diseases in pooultry, cattle, swine, sheep and bees. Packet contains 10 grams of oxytetracycline HCI for oral use only

Manna Pro (brand) A Multi Species Electrolyte Suppliment "Bounce Back" Easy to use single feeding size packet, safe and effective for many species, Dextrose for energy, for use in times of stress. Bounce back is a concentrated nutritional suppliment for cows & calves, horses & foals, goats & kids, sheep & lambs, fawn and elk calves, llamas, alpacas & crias, adult & baby pigs, dogs & puppies, cats & kittens.

Aureomycin Chlortetracycline soluable powder concentrate antibiotic for veterinary use in drinking water. Use as the sole source of chlortetracycline. Not to be used for more than 14 consecutive days in chickens, turkeys, 5 days in calves, or 5 days in swine. Do not use in laying chickens. For growing turkeys only. Do not administer this product with milk or milk replacers. Administer one hour before or two hours after feeding milk or replacers. Do not administer to swine withing 24 hours of slaughter. Do not administer to calves withing one day of slaughter. A withdrawl period has not been established for this product in pre-ruminating calves. Do not administer to chickens at 1000 mg/gallon of water (one packet per 25.6 gallons) within 24 hours of slaughter.

Can I use any of this for the rabbit or should I go buy more stuff? If so I can go get a packet/bottle of everything they have or can you guys give me more medicine names I need to find?

Photos958.jpg

Leaf wrote:
Aureomycin Chlortetracycline soluable powder concentrate antibiotic for veterinary use in drinking water. Use as the sole source of chlortetracycline.

I found a website that says this is ok for rabbits, but now I lost the addy. :banghead

I would find Pen G (bicillin)....its really worth taking the time/money to get it. The rest of the stuff is ok - but Pen G is just really really what I'd recommend.

I also get insulin needles from the pharmacy and I use lactated ringers (iv solution) from the vet to "cut" the Pen G with...so it doesn't sting so much.

I forgot to say that Pen G is usually kept in a refrigerator in the stores (and at home)...

http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~jwmoore/bicillin/bicillin.htm
All the brand or trade names of bicillin are listed in this article. They are in the refrigerator of tractor supply or farm and fleet. They are sold for cattle usually

I have Combi pen-48 from farm and fleet . I have seen Twin pen sold also . They also sell procaine Pen G which would need to be injected daily

I don't have clue about the other antibioitics or what they are effective against.
I would be afraid of giving the others.

If you can find any of these. you need to buy 3cc syringes with 21 gauge needles they are sold in bags of three. You should also pick up a pack of 18 gauge needles to draw up the penicillin. You will not have anything to mix it with which is a problem unless you can get a bag of lactated ringers from the vet.
The iodine povidine is betadine and can be diluted and used to clean the open wounds
The eye solution would flush the eye but is not an antibiotic.
The manna pro....??
I am really sorry about your accident Leaf?
Try to call around and find out if they have refrigerated injectable medicine for cattle.

A lot of people in these stores do not know what the meds in the refrigerator are for. They are clueless

Bicillin is 150,000 u procaine penicillin G and 150,000 u benzathine penicillin ..this would be the top 2 ingredients listed on the back.

Pen G would be 300,000 procaine pencillin G and would also be OK but you would have to give it daily.

If you want you could pm randy re. the other drugs you bought but I don't know....
I know you are trying your best ...

angieluv wrote:
also pick up a bottle of alcohol ( I mean for sterilizing) not for drinking :D
You can buy the other type of alcohol later:biggrin2:

:laugh:

Is it later yet?!

Terramycin in his water, pvp iodine ointment on his wounds. Clear Eyes sterile eye care formula in his eyes after every wipe down, approx 4-5 hours apart.

Nose shows remarkable healing thought that injury wasn't any concern given the others..

Right eye is looking good, third eyelid retracting. Seems to have more focus and he's able to hold it open wider so perhaps a lot of swelling on the upper eyelid/socket is going down. No discharge from the eye at all.

Left eye!! Scary in a sense but is showing progress. No longer matted and totally pus filled. He's able to hold it open, a slit, but much better than before. Iodine ointment seems to be drawing the pus out as drainage on the wound can be seen. This eye gets a warm cloth wipe down more than 4-5 hours apart, but at no regular schedule. While it needs to be clean I don't want to aggrivate it in the process. Each wipedown is successful in draining more pus and the swelling, while still there, has noticeably gone down.

Side wound is becoming more pliable, not such a hard knot of hair and tissue. It did have some drainage and possibly still may but compared to the eye it is a relatively clean wound as far as infection goes.

Other than being on vetbed and a throw rug I haven't done anything to his feet afeter an initial washing. Soft and clean plus time can work wonders.

As for attitude, he is ok. Hates his e-collar so he's a little more prone to bite than he was before. Collar prevents him from licking his side/shoulder woound so he gets crabby, often throwing his food dish around, dumping everything. As soon as I reach in to scoop up the food he goes for my arm. Once out of his cage he's a snuggle bug!

I wish I had my camera on hand earlier. After addinga shelf to his cage (2 NIC panels) I put him up there to show him what it was. When he was ready to come down, and with the collar in the way he did a hangie thing, front paws and head dangling as he gained momentum to jump down. He was a chicken at first... Now he is a pro and sleeps up top.

Still eats pellets well. Drinks a LOT of water. Poops great. Loves timothy hay when provided. Yes, WHEN provided.

Due to his wounds I don't want him laying in/on hay in case it were to stick, poke or aggrivate either eye or his side wound. Supervised, he's allowed hay outside of his cage (none inside in case a stray piece gets to him). With creams on his body as well, the sticky factor would be a nightmare.

He's situated approx 3' away from the desk I'm at now. I have to admit, with the stains of iodine all over him he looks to be quite a fright!

Wow, all Ican say is what a Lucky Bunny he is.

You should be nominated for Sainthood.

I love the collar you made him, such a nice pattern too.Look at those little hearts now he knows he has someone who "LOVES" him.

Susan
bunny_qua8.gif
hase287.gif
hase285.gif

Latest posts

Back