RESOLVED: Snowy is really 'off'

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys, just got up... Sorry I missed your message Sas. Thanks for all the gret advice!

Steve came to bed at about 7am (it's 915am now), but he said that before he did, she ate! Carrot tops and some kale apparently :biggrin2: Which is great news. We're not sure if she pooed though, since he didn't stay up to watch, or wake me to get up again :X Edit: he woke me up to tell me she'd eaten. Then went back downstairs. I woke up just now and he was in bed! :X

Looking at her now, she's lying down flat on the shelf with her eyes closed, and looks a lot more comfortable... (feet out behind her right now...)

I'm going to get the bunny's breakfast and see how she goes for that, and then watch her very closely before the vets in 3 hours.

I think we still need it even if she's eaten a little bit... :? Should I ask for x-rays to be on the safe side even if she's eating again?

Sas, no Steve didn't see that, sorry!

If she looks uncomfy after breakfast, I'll get the Metacam out. Didn't think of warm critical care, thanks for that. She's also refused hay which is the most important thing so I'll try that now too.

Back in a bit. Although I guess a lot of people are in bed now...Stupid time difference!

Nope.... not touching the breakfast.... *siiiiiiigh* :( she's still not looking too uncomfortable now though... odd?

I just remembered something we were told when we adopted her. She once was diagnosed with anorexia apparently? I'm not sure of the exact details, or how long ago it was, but apparently she just refused to eat, and all her fur fell out. She was being syringe fed for quite a while. Supposedly she had all the x-rays, tests and everything but they couldn't find anything wrong with her. Obviously she made a full recovery and usually goes mad for her food. Just thought I'd mention that in case it was of any importance... I'm not sure of anything more than that. or even if that's what she did have and the vet just missed something maybe, but that's what we were told.

Refuses the hay though, although she jumped up and sniffed it- same with the breakfast. It's almost like she wants to eat but can't/wont because of something?

I'm waiting up! I'm waiting up!!

Awesome news that she ate something and isn't so uncomfortable. :yahoo:

Now we just need... :litterhealthy:

I'd still go for the tummy rubs and fluids and get her moving around, and hopefully she'll start pooping and save you a vet bill.

If she hasn't pooped by vet time, I'dask forSubQfluids.

I'm always a fan of xrays, they can catch all sorts of other problems, butyou'll just have to play it by ear -- balance the cost against her recent health (did the dental seem to totally fix her up?) and this current bout.

If it was me,if she perks right up and poops, I'm poor so I'd probably hold off. If it's related to her past problem, not sure the stomach xray will do the trick if it's head, chest or urinary system issue. Something to ask about. I know that a head to toe set of xrays would have caught Pipp's molar spurs and Dill's cancer, both were misdiagnosed on a visual exam.

If your vet isn't open on Sunday, that's another consideration -- compare the cost at your regular vet with the ER vet just in case.

This is stasis season, it may just be a bug or something else independent of another health issue.

I just don't like seeing back-to-back health issues.

sas :goodluck

Nah, the cost isn't a problem- she's insured! We didn't have to pay for the exam yesterday, as they put it through as a continuation of claim, after her dental and stuff. Didn't even have to see the bill for the dental lol- which is soo lucky as I'm officially redundant in 2 weeks! Insurance is a god-send for us... So, I'm going to push for them anyway I think. I always think of Chalk, and if she hadn't had that x-ray when she did...:?

And yeah, the dental seemed to sort things out- her appetite was back within an hour or 2, and back to crazy binkies within 2 days. The x-rays for that were clear, so no tooth-root issues or anything...

:dunno

Gonna make up some more fluids and critical care if I have the patience for it getting stuck in the syringe...

mouse_chalk wrote:
Nope.... not touching the breakfast.... *siiiiiiigh* :( she's still not looking too uncomfortable now though... odd?
Oh Snowy. :(

And not unusual, the big gas bubble(s) isthe uncomfortable part, the stasis causes gas which is the main source of pain. The simethicone (and natual processes) will break up the bubble(s), easing the pain and makng it easier to dissipate.

But the root cause of the gas hasn't been resolved -- stasis, blockage, pain or discomfortstemming from another issue or whatever.

mouse_chalk wrote:
Supposedly she had all the x-rays, tests and everything but they couldn't find anything wrong with her. Obviously she made a full recovery and usually goes mad for her food. Just thought I'd mention that in case it was of any importance...

... Refuses the hay though, although she jumped up and sniffed it- same with the breakfast. It's almost like she wants to eat but can't/wont because of something?
Any way of finding out if she had full dental xrays?

There are actually six standard xrayviews of the head, and most vets will only take two or four. Sometimes the missing views will show root issues, etc, missed in the limited set.

Given the previous head issue, and not seeing any indication they took extensive xrays to discover the spurs in the first place, I'd start there.

If a rabbit isn't chewing her food properly, that canlead to gas and stasis.

sas :clover:

Im definitely no expert on these things, but I know it does take the gut a while to move things through even though they're so little. Just think of ours, 30ft long or something?!

If she started eating it might just take a bit for poos to come out, if she's looking less uncomfortable I would think that is a good sign over looking to same or worse!

:hug2:

Did you happen to try pumpkin puree or maybe even plain canned pumpkin diluted with water so you can syringe it? I know Haley and some others say that is a good thing to try and get them to eat to get the gut moving. My bun won't touch it unfortunately.

I would just keep with the electrolyte fluids and critical care every so often.. making sure she's hydrated because if she's dehydrated the gut/poos have a harder time getting through and out (same with us humans :)).

:hearts

mouse_chalk wrote:
The x-rays for that were clear, so no tooth-root issues or anything...
Ah see. Still worth seeing which views they took I guess. How long have you had her? How long ago was her previous anorexia problem?

mouse_chalk wrote:
Gonna make up some more fluids and critical care if I have the patience for it getting stuck in the syringe...
I soak mine for a good 30 minutes (at the very least, 10) and put more water in it than called for. Failing that, I cut the tipoff the darn syringe or do whatever else I can to widen it. I've also got a feeding syringe here andI need to coat the rubber doohickey with a little olive oil before it will work.

sas :bunnydance:

Wow, Pipp you are so full of fantastic experience and info. I learn so much just by reading your posts. The dental issue makes perfect sense for being a precursor to stasis issues.

Thank goodness you have insurance for your buns, Jen! I will definitely have to do this if/when I get a 2nd bun down the road.

Pipp wrote:
mouse_chalk wrote:
Supposedly she had all the x-rays, tests and everything but they couldn't find anything wrong with her. Obviously she made a full recovery and usually goes mad for her food. Just thought I'd mention that in case it was of any importance...

... Refuses the hay though, although she jumped up and sniffed it- same with the breakfast. It's almost like she wants to eat but can't/wont because of something?
Any way of finding out if she had full dental xrays?

sas :clover:
I'll ask when we go in.... All I know is the vet told me that they did 'full x-rays' but like you just said, I don't know how many that was... I'll ask. Although it's difficult, asking a vet if they're doing their job properly or not lol...

We're seeing a locum this morning, same as we saw yesterday I think, but not sure... (Doesn't help that he is very good looking with a very nice Irish accent :shock: I guess I'll just flirt my way to x-rays?!!!)

Is the not-urinating something that comes along with the stasis, or should I be thinking urinary issue here? She's had quite a bit of pedialyte/dioralyte, but not peed at all since, and it's a lot more than she'd normally drink. But, then i guess if she's dehydrated, she wont be peeing it out anyway? :?

Thanks Sas, for all your help :hug:

Thanks Ras, but I just gleaned it most of it from all our other experts. ;)Many knowledgeable people here. :thumbup (PS: Have to also credit the Etherbun group, great info there over the years as well).

Jen,remind me, was she peeing inappropriatelybefore she stopped peeing altogether?

And how long did you soak the CC for? It really absorbs a lot of liquid and may had doneso in her GI tract. But if she was peeing outside her box or straining to pee or her pee was concentrated or very very clear, or had 'strings' in it, those are signs of 'issues'.

And all kinds of 'issues' can cause pain and stasis.

How old isshe?

The vet may want to express her bladder -- unless you can get her to pee in a cup. (or clean bubble wrap).

Has she had a blood test before?

sas :?

Pipp wrote:
Thanks Ras, but I just gleaned it most of it from all our other experts. ;)Many knowledgeable people here. :thumbup

Jen,remind me, was she peeing inappropriatelybefore she stopped peeing altogether?

And how long did you soak the CC for? It really absorbs a lot of liquid and may had doneso in her GI tract. But if she was peeing outside her box or straining to pee or her pee was concentrated or very very clear, or had 'strings' in it, those are signs of 'issues'.

And all kinds of 'issues' can cause pain and stasis.

How old isshe?

The vet may want to express her bladder -- unless you can get her to pee in a cup. (or clean bubble wrap).

Has she had a blood test before?

sas :?
Hmmm....

The pee was normal in colour for her- dark yellow, and not cloudy, but I didn't notice it being overly clear, if that makes sense. She usually goes in her litterbox, but she peed on the middle of the living room floor. that was just before we called the vets yesterday afternoon. She peed once also on the towel en route to the vets, but that's quite normal... Definately no strings in it- I would have noticed that and picked up on it...

The critical care (homemade)- I just ground some pellets in the pestle and mortar and added it to water until it was quite liquidy- any thicker and it wouldn't have got through my syringe. It was soaked for maybe 5-10mins while I stirred it around?

She's 2 and a half now...

I can try and get her to pee in a cup, but honestly? I think she'd rather murder me first!! :shock:

She had full bloods 2 weeks ago at the same time as her dental and I think they came back ok- the culture of her nose isn't back yet but the bloods came back fine according to the nurse I spoke to on the phone the other day....

Oh, she just ate a tiny bit more wet carrot tops, coriander and parsley. Just the leaves off the herbs though, she picked them off very delicately...

:?:?:?

Well, you may be stuck with my least favourite word -- 'inconclusive'.

I run across so many rabbits with the same issues,and no diagnosis. Personally I think there is some undiscoveredailment out there that is at least somewhat dental-related.I've been thinking about contacting all the rabbits I've run across with similar problems and have them all compare notes.

Eating the tips of the herbs, etc, is typical, but it could just be more of a 'I don't feel well so I'm only going tonibble on the best bits' thing more than a 'hates to chew' thing.

Pipp has my sucker light in her sightsafter her molar spur surgeries,she keeps eatingjust the 'good stuff' for weeks until Ifinallydraw the line and say, "I'm not giving you any more until you eat those stems!"

And bubble wrap really does work as a non-sterile 'pee catcher'.Just stick some in the litter box where they have to pee on it, watch the peecollect in the bubbles, and suck it out witha syringe. Easy to see the color and texture, too.

But first she has to pee. :waiting:

Yeah, too bad you don't have canned pumpkin. And Critical Care is better than ground pellets. Easier to use, too.

Say hi to the Irish vet for me. :)

sas :bunnydance:

I found some bubble wrap! Will empty out the litter tray and put some in. Although, she's not going near it right now and still no sign of pee. On the bright side (??!), she's not looking like she's straining to try and pee either... :dunno

We can't remember what time our vets appointment is- either 12.10, 12.20 or 12.30... so we're leaving at 12 in 15 mins to be on the safe side.

We only had the one sachet of critical care, which went pretty much all round her chin like a bib. I'll ask the vets for some more when we go.

Hopefully, they'll send us down to the hospital (15mins drive away- the vets is a 2min drive away- so lucky to have it all close by), for x-rays, so we wont be back for a while... If hopefully is even the right word to use... :?

If ONLY rabbits could talk- I told Snowy that I wouldn't contact the press, or even share it on RO if she would just talk a tiny bit and tell me what's wrong- nothing.... :p

Oh god! I hope she stays OK. The dandelions in our garden grow so well because we pick them every day - I save alot on greens and hay!

When you said she was snuggling and was really cold I was very worried, as that was what William was like before he passed away. Its good to here she has made a slight recovery from that.

I don't know exactly what it is, but do you have any of that stuff they give after a neuter? When William wouldn't eat and was slipping away we fed him the recovery food we had left over. Its this stinky green stuff that you syringe to them. I guess if she isn't eating they may give you some? I'm no expert, but maybe she's in a vicious circle if you know what I mean, she didn't want to eat, so she's gone all weak, but not she has gone all weak, she can't eat....

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

Snowy's in the hospital :cry1:

At the vets, the locum we saw (Irish again funnily enough) was a different guy, and I didn't like him. He had a quick look at her and started to say 'she seems to be ok...' and then started asking about antibiotics, so I just jumped in asking for fluids and stressing that I'd be happier with x-rays, even if they came back clear. He sort of looked a bit surprised, then said that they could do x-rays on Monday.... :X I reminded him that Monday is a bank holiday and could the hospital not do them today? Then he sort of gave in and said that he'd call ahead and let them know we were going down.

Anyway, they've taken her in for the x-rays, which will be under anaesthetic, and sub-q fluids....

I wanted the x-rays done, but I didn't want to have to leave my little girl there..... :(

They said that hopefully she can come home this evening if she gets hydrated enough and the x-rays are clear, but she might have to stay in overnight. They did say that they don't like to do it unless it's really necessary, due to the stress for the rabbit, etc...

I'm just so sick with worry now, and I feel like crying for hours.

The hospital she's at is the same one Chalk went to, and the vet there today I believe operated on Chalk's abscess the first time, she definately treated her at some stage... They have someone there 24hours as well, so she'll be well looked after, but still....

:bigtears:

I just called for an update- I couldn't wait any longer

She's not doing too bad apparently, she's had sub-q fluids, and she's eaten a bit of wet grass and dandelions etc. Apparently her temp was a bit high when she first got in there, but that could be due to stress and the car journey etc, so they're keeping an eye on it..

They've given her metaclopromide too. I know Randy and a few others on here aren't fans of it but I guess anything that helps her poo at this stage has got to be a good thing, right? :? The vet said she can feel fecals formed in the colon, so there does seem to be some gut movement there...

They've not done x-rays yet though- the vet said that with her showing a little interest in food and stuff they don't want to stress her out even more if they can help it, but they're keeping her in overnight, so if she doesn't pick up more etc, they can do x-rays then- a vet is on all night there it seems

I asked about taking some of her normal food down and she said it was a great idea. Also, she said their lawn there is quite small, so if we had any long grass, or her favourite veggies that would be good too, also if we could get hold of some pure apple juice... So we're taking that down a bit later.....

Aaaaarrrrrgh! :?

Latest posts

Back