RESOLVED: Snowy is really 'off'

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jen sorry only just seen this. Yes diorlyte is teh same as american simethicone it will be fine to give however when i get a bun that does this i mix up some crit care with pellets and water smush it till you can get it into a syringe and go for it anything you can get down her is better than nothing but try for around 4 - 8 mls per sitting ( i say that much because you are pretty guaranteed to lose some!!) we do this every few hours with tummy rubs. If you don't have crit care add the bio lapis into the mush it will help its a specific probiotic for recovering/ ill rabbits and is good if you can get it into them otherwise add it to teh fluids you are syringing whatever you feel more confident with.

That coupled with plenty of greens should get her back on track i always find when not well gut wise its kale or coriander that gets thme eating again. Another really good one is basil dipped in teh water bowl or just drenched with water.

Hope thats some use to you :)sending :pray::hug2:

I can give her metacam- the problem is she wont eat anything at all, not even the syringed critical care, so it'll be on an empty stomach. Is that worth the risk?

All the greens- basil, coriander, parsley, romaine and spring greens plus some apple are sat right in front of her now and she wont touch them.

Maureen, do you have the link to Randy's advice on painkillers anywhere?

We went to the vets, 6 hours ago? There's always the emergency vet but I'm not sure what they'll be able to do now... If people think we should go again though, we'll go. No question.

I just wish I knew what treatment to seek... SubQ fluids? X-rays?

She just tried to lie down flat but I think she was really uncomfortable or something because she scrabbled back up again into the hunched position.... :?

Patti, I gave her a tummy rub after the simeticone, just over an hour ago?

How long does simeticone take to kick in?

Arrrrrgh!

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it...

Use Sas's idea too and get a sock fill it with some rice and warm it up in microwave may help to ease her tummy a bit she is definately uncomfy sitting in that posistion. They will fight a syringe feed usually until they are feelign really weak.( or are very well trained!!)All I can say is persevere because its the best thing to see her through it.

If you aren't comfortable doing the syringe feeding then you can take her to the vets although some vets and I am sure somewhere Randy said its not great they tend to give metaclop in the vets to stimulate the gut into moving. I have used it before with no problems. the vets may well give sub Q but most likely will metaclop, do what you are doing and syringe feed ( if she stays in ) also some pain meds Well thats what my vets have done in teh past.

I know its hard to syringe them try to make sure you are calm and stand firm they don't like it but its good to keep the gut moving.

polly wrote:
Jen sorry only just seen this. Yes diorlyte is teh same as american simethicone it will be fine to give however when i get a bun that does this i mix up some crit care with pellets and water smush it till you can get it into a syringe and go for it anything you can get down her is better than nothing but try for around 4 - 8 mls per sitting ( i say that much because you are pretty guaranteed to lose some!!) we do this every few hours with tummy rubs. If you don't have crit care add the bio lapis into the mush it will help its a specific probiotic for recovering/ ill rabbits and is good if you can get it into them otherwise add it to teh fluids you are syringing whatever you feel more confident with.

That coupled with plenty of greens should get her back on track i always find when not well gut wise its kale or coriander that gets thme eating again. Another really good one is basil dipped in teh water bowl or just drenched with water.

Hope thats some use to you :)sending :pray::hug2:
Thanks Polly! :hug:

You mean American Pedialyte, right, not simeticone? I'm going to try some...

The problem with the critical care sachet (apart from her not eating it) was that it kept getting stuck in the syringe and blocking it up... I might try cutting off the end to making it larger... Also, I might get the pestle and mortar out and crush up some of her pellets really well....

I forgot, kale was in the bowl and she loves it usually- wont touch it :tears2:

Yes sorry Jen thats what I meant Paedilyte not simethicone and yes mine is blckcurrnet too mix up your diorylyte, biolapis and some water then syringe it up and give it to her. that way she gets it both ways. The biolapis can be added to water or food. I use crit care with my pellet smush but you could put the bio lapis in there instead if you dont have teh crit care ( as a by teh by next time you are vets ask them to order you a tub its well handy to have on hand!)

Easiest way get some pellets add some water from teh kettle so its been boiled and cooled add in yoru bio lapis and go for it. as I say stand firm and dont wear your best clothes! Boo chucked a lot back at us but it worked and its usually greensyou will start to see them eating before anything else but it may take a while before she gets tothat as long as its there she has teh choice!! the other thing I do id hand count in liek 10 pellets into her bowl so that at leats you can count em to see if she has eaten anything!!!!

Youy're getting some great advice already.
I can't add more except extra prayers and good thoughts.

:pray:

Thanks so much Polly!

We just managed to get about 12ml of critical care down her- I added a 1ml dose of simeticone in as well, and she maybe had about half of the critical care i made overall? it was quite watery though, because the stuff kept getting stuck in the syringe and blocking it up... :grumpy:

She also took around 20mls of dioralyte/pedialyte, and seemed to like that. I have a bowl with it on the floor near her, but she's not touched it yet...

Thank you Jim as well!

There is no way I'm going to bed tonight until she gets better... shall I just keep giving her that every hour or 2?

What should I try and get from the vets in the morning?

angieluv wrote:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=38643&forum_id=16

it's gentle giants thread on the geriatric bun..just scroll down to randy
What about canned pumpkin. it's easy to syring feed/??

also if she wants oats go ahead and give oats but not a lot

alfalfa maybe
You can't get canned pumpkin over here unfortunately.... England sucks! :X

We don't have alfalfa either as they don't like it at all..

I'll try some oats though...

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it... :hug:

Just to add, she wont take oats- normally eats them out of our hand. Chalk ate them instead :?

Banana was refused as well- also stolen by Chalk! :?

I've run out of different veg to try!

My only tidbit of advice is maybe try dandelion leaves? I don't know if it will work, my rabbits favourite food EVER is dandelion leaves, and the vet told me, if you are every stuck in the middle of the night with no access to a vets etc... dandelions are the best thing you can give that most people have in their gardens...

Hope she gets better!

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

pinksalamander wrote:
My only tidbit of advice is maybe try dandelion leaves? I don't know if it will work, my rabbits favourite food EVER is dandelion leaves, and the vet told me, if you are every stuck in the middle of the night with no access to a vets etc... dandelions are the best thing you can give that most people have in their gardens...

Hope she gets better!

She's always refused dandelion leaves in the past, but I guess it can't hurt to try again. Maybe some grass too...

Off to put some slippers on and go picking! :?

Thanks Fran...

pinksalamander wrote:

Hope she gets better!

I was just about to suggest the same thing....dandylions greens.

It was the one thing that Chippy decided to eat when she was so sick.

They're a good anti-tox veggie, too.

I picked them in my backyard in the middle of the night...with a flashlight...my neighbor's are probably still snickering about it.
They workbest if you wear bunny slippers when you pick them!

Sending prayers and good thoughts!

Looks like you have your hands full here, as usual our brilliant RO members have covered most possibilities but I pray all is will be well.
:)
Only thing I could suggest is holding her, feel her ears, are they hot to touch.
Check her bottom eyelids, a redder colour or lack of colour could be an indication of poor health.

You have jumped onto to the problem straight away so hopefully everything will turn out all right.
I might go back and read about her latest health issues. I am no expert at all but you could probably do with all the support you can get.

JimD wrote:
I was just about to suggest the same thing....dandylions greens.

It was the one thing that Chippy decided to eat when she was so sick.

They're a good anti-tox veggie, too.

I picked them in my backyard in the middle of the night...with a flashlight...my neighbor's are probably still snickering about it.
They workbest if you wear bunny slippers when you pick them!

Sending prayers and good thoughts!
LOL, thanks Jim, that gave me a much needed giggle!

It seems I'm too good at weeding our back garden, but found some in the front.... There were a few slugs around, are the leaves ok if I wash them well?

My neighbours already think I'm crazy sitting out there all day with the buns in the pen lol...

Oh and I only had giraffe print slippers- hope they still work! :?:p

mouse_chalk wrote:
You can't get canned pumpkin over here unfortunately.... England sucks! :X

We don't have alfalfa either as they don't like it at all..

I'll try some oats though...
I know it wouldn't get there in time to help with this situation, but I would be happy to ship you a case of canned pumpkin for future use.

I reread the thread to see if we were missing something.
In yorr post you said that she seemed a little unsteady, like 'out of it" this morning.

Is there anything toxic that she could have possibly gotten into during the night/ like a plant? or anything else that you can think of?

Latest posts

Back