RESOLVED: Snowy is really 'off'

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
slavetoabunny wrote:
mouse_chalk wrote:
You can't get canned pumpkin over here unfortunately.... England sucks! :X

We don't have alfalfa either as they don't like it at all..

I'll try some oats though...
I know it wouldn't get there in time to help with this situation, but I would be happy to ship you a case of canned pumpkin for future use.
:hugsquish:You are wonderful- what a kind offer. Thank you! I will probably definately take you up on that offer when we get through this Snowy saga...

I forgot to add- Steve called the vet hospital to ask about the metacam and the nurse advised against it until we see a vet... She booked an appointment for us at 12pm tomorrow- 10 hours from now. But she said if we become more worried we can either take her down as an emergency or they'll fit us in earlier in the morning. I know the receptionists at the fishponds branch where we normally go will squeeze us in somewhere anyway if we call them in the morning...

angieluv wrote:
I reread the thread to see if we were missing something.
In yorr post you said that she seemed a little unsteady, like 'out of it" this morning.

Is there anything toxic that she could have possibly gotten into during the night/ like a plant? or anything else that you can think of?
Yeah she definately did seem quite 'dopey' this morning is my best way of putting it. She wasn't limping or dragging her legs or anything, but she did seem to be uncomfortable moving around... Now, she doesn't seem so dopey, but she will barely move unless you really budge her.... :?

There's no plants in our house. She was in the garden yesterday afternoon and ate grass, with the other 3 buns. You may remember a post from a while ago about a Laurel hedge in our garden, but I checked the pen and removed the stray leaves before she went in there... The grass was slightly damp but we dont use any pesticides or anything like that...

We just opened a new bag of hay yesterday but it's the same hay we always use, and the other 2 are all eating it absoultely fine.... :? :ponder:

Thank you... I'm about to give her some more dioralyte and critical care if she'll take it...

Dandelion leaves have been refused, as has more fresh wet kale :(

I'm past the point of worrying about overreacting- it's over 24 hours since she last ate on her own. I'm just so worried now! :(

The worst part is I don't even have a clue of what's causing it- could be her teeth but she had a dental 2 weeks ago, and she's sat like she's uncomfy in her belly. Could be gas but she's not responding to the simeticone at all... :? She just seems so lifeless and disinterested in everything. I can pick her up with my arms still intact which is just so odd...

Steve's asleep at the mo- in 2 hours he wil get up and watch her while I get some sleep...

Come on Snowdrop, you HAVE to get better for me!

:nerves1

And all this worry is being done very quietly- I'm trying to keep calm around her so I don't disturb her and the others too much...

Got another 15-20mls of fluids down her....

Then she snuggled into my arm and stayed there for about 20mins- very unlike her.

Might have to wake Steve up early- I'm dead on my feet :(

Did you give her just the one dose of simethicone?

That would have been over 3 hrs ago.

It usually will take effect within 20 minutes or so.

When S'more had gas, I had to give her 3 doses before she responded.
It was about an hour or so between doses, if I remeber correctly.

:pray:

She had her first dose at around 9.30pm, and her second at 11.30pm.. It's 3am here now. I honestly hadn't realised the time actually! :?

I didn't realise you could dose it that close together either... I'll try and give her some more...

mouse_chalk wrote:
I didn't realise you could dose it that close together either... I'll try and give her some more...

It won't hurt her.

It makes all the little bubbles of gas form into one, and that gives them more room in the GI tract.
Sometimes it offers enough comfort to get things moving along again.

she's in my arms now.... got another dose of simeticone down her mixed with water...just about.

she feels very cold, hence holding her wrapped in a towel. tried the towel in the tumble drier to warm it up but it appears my drier is broken-no heat at all......:X

thank you so much everyone...

Hold her close and keep her warm.

Got any rice to put in socks to warm in the micro?

Does she seem to be resting more comfortably?

When was the last time she peed? pooped?

I will make some rice socks... however, the last time I did i managed to burn a hole in the sock (lol) but i'll give it another go. She hates them too but it can't hurt to try... I've just put her down after a long cuddle and she's warmed up quite a bit now...

She last peed on her way to the vets at 4pm, so 12 hours ago, but that was only the second time all day. She's not pooed since at least 11am (when Steve got up and started watching her) which is 17hours ago, but possibly up to 28 hours before (i went to bed around 12-1am last night and it's nearly 4am here now, so to presume the worst she stopped pooing when i went to bed, but she seemed fine then)

Does that make sense?! :?

It's strange. Having 4 bunnies all together yet I can still be absolutely certain who's pooed or not- mainly because she wont move :(

I went one better than the rice socks and found the sungglesafe heat pad... :) It's next to her right now, although she's giving it very dirty looks....

I'm off to get some sleep for a few hours- Steve has got up to come keep an eye on her, and he will give her some fluids and critical care in a bit. He's under strict instruction to wake me as soon as she changes either way...

I'll be back on in a few hours, with better news I hope... :?

Thank you Jim!

Oh, and I forgot to say before- no, she doesnt seem any more comfy at all- still sat all hunched up....

mouse_chalk wrote:
Does that make sense?! :?

It's strange. Having 4 bunnies all together yet I can still be absolutely certain who's pooed or not- mainly because she wont move :(

Makes perfect sense to me ;)

Having eight bunnies, I can still tell whatbun is off a bit or not.

Getting her to move would probably help.
They're like little horses in a sense...Keep 'em up and moving....keep 'em warm if they're chilled... keep their inards going so they don't stop up, lottsa water and fiber.

Sounds easy, eh?

I remember:
...gentlypushing S'more around...sometimes lifting her tush up just to urge her to move.
I also got her to groom when I ruffled her up a bit with the towels.
Long firm rubs from head to tail...both hands...one on each side....tried to reach under her belly and rub a bit too.

Oh God, sorry I missed this. :(

Simethicone works best in large doses hourly for three or four hours, then none again for eight hours or so.

The vet should have done stomach x-rays to check for gas and/or a blockage or to see what else may be going on -- especially given her earlier problems.If she hasn'tpooped, I would have given her sub-q fluids. I'd still get her some ASAP.

If it is gas/stasis, lots of very long tummy massages are in order. If the large dose of simethicone and massage makes her feel better even temporarily, good bet the gas is causing the discomfort.

The gas will reform, but the simethicone and massage should mean at least a little relief. If that's the case, getting her moving will also help.

Personally I'd give her the Metacam especially if she's grinding her teeth. EDIT TO ADD: Pain can cause stasis and vice-versa. If you give her some, just make sure she gets a little watered down Critical Care with it.

Even if it is gas, for itgo on this long I'd think would mean it'sa symptom of something else -- like a blockage or stasis -- an not just something she ate like a veggie not agreeing with her. And the stasis may also be a symptom of something else (like pain which is also a symptom of something else).

Definitely keep her warm. ETA: Best togive her warm water and warm Critical Care.

Really hope she's okay.

sas :pray:

mouse_chalk wrote:
I'm off to get some sleep for a few hours- Steve has got up to come keep an eye on her,

Rest well.

Steve will take good care of her.

Bad timing with the dryer. Do you have a heating pad? You can wrap the towels on the heating pad and use that pad and all when you're holding her, and just use the pad to warm to towel on its own when your not.

:ponder: CanSteve seeing this or am I talking to myself? :?

sas :clover:

Pipp wrote:
Bad timing with the dryer. Do you have a heating pad? You can wrap the towels on the heating pad and use that pad and all when you're holding her, and just use the pad to warm to towel on its own when your not.

:ponder: CanSteve seeing this or am I talking to myself? :?

sas :clover:

She got the snuggle-safe heat pad out before she went to get some rest.

Looks like she's logged off now.

Oh no! Not Snowy! C'mon girl, we're thinking of you!! Start eating, pooping, and feeling better!:clover:

Latest posts

Back