RESOLVED Iowa - Rescue - Mini Rex with nasty sore hocks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i agree with sas. if we can work twards keeping them together and with you i am all for it.

the photos would really help, it would give us a better idea on what is going on with him.

do you have a thermometer? i would suggest if you do to check his temp, that will help you to know if he is running a fever (which would point to a more sever infection). normal rabbit temp is between 101 and 103 degrees (i am kinda sure on that, it would't hurt if someone seconded that fact cause i am pulling it out of my head).

if you want to keep them, then lets work on it, pm me and we will try to figure it out.

if you decide that rehoming them is the best option me and christina are here to help. she has connections with bunderground for transport and i have the space to take both bunnies until a forever home is found for them. christina runs a rescue and literally is amazing, so between us, and everyone on RO we can make it work.

i just want you to know that there are options. you have help and support no matter what you decide to do in the end.

I live in Kansas City...I can't get all the way to Michigan but if Katie can still take them both if you're unable to keep them I'll volunteer travel time and the couple can stay with me for the night

It's a hard realization that you messed up with an animal...I've done something like this too when I was younger and I will never forget what I did...And it haunts me and makes me wonder if I should even own pets.

I'm glad you're doing what you can now

I have good news. I had my grandma, who is a nurse, look at his sores and they seem to be healing up on their own. She's going to help me if I need to take him to the vet.

that's good, Im glad shes able to help you out :)

Whoo... his feet are better than I thought they would be. if there are no open cuts, that is at least one less pathway of infection. Very good news there!

Very glad to hear that your Grandma is a nurse... she will have some great insight for you on wound healing.

You're on the right track, Lymie. I think you will feel far better if you see Beazel through to full healing... I hope you also bond with your boys in the process.

There is support here for you too:hug:.

There is a money challenge that the OP is working around, April. She's looking into community organizations and other forms of assistance.

NorthernAutumn wrote:
There is a money challenge that the OP is working around, April. She's looking into community organizations and other forms of assistance.
I thought his G'ma could help with a vet visit. Sorry. maybe I miss read.

SweetSassy wrote:
NorthernAutumn wrote:
I thought his G'ma could help with a vet visit. Sorry. maybe I miss read.

No, I have some checks that I need to have sent to me again, and that should cover the bill. I'm going to see if I can't get a discount some where, and get some help paying for it.

LYMIE, I wished you were here so I could hug ya so tight you felt like you got SKWISHED and tell you personally!
THESE ARE LETTERS TO YOU, LYMIE OF LOVE AND SUPPORT! PLZ READ THEM-WE will get bunnies, PLZ I beg you to keep them together-k? Just need you to keep puttin a good PAW FORWARD, AND THANK GOD for you darlin that YOU ARE SMART ENOUGH AND LOVE ENOUGH TO DO EXACTLY WHAT YOU HAVE DONE-RECOGNISE NOW, YOU ARE DIFFERENT FROM YOUR FAMILY and you are MY HERO!
READ ON-

Dear Lymie,

Please, dont feel guilty about getting your bunny over to a shelter ASAP. Anne Torres sent you the name of one to contact. The facvt that you are reaching out and wanting to give the bunny proper care says a lot about you. You are looking out for the welfare of this little bun and want to give him a chance. The shelter would be very grateful that you are giving up this bunny to save him. Please keep us posted. Dont wait, he needs the help now. Best wishes to you Lymie and prayers are being sent your way.

Karen

AND there are more letters to tell we LOVE YOU FOR BEING A BIG ENOUGH PERSON TO CARE LIKE THIS!!!...I have a place in NORTH CARO.so far BUT am getting some transport ppl now to help...a good thing.
Have to ck on places closer-SAFE PLACES OF course or we can get them here to our Katie whom we love to peices too:) and would do so well with them she is a great gal!)
OK working on a transport BUT need to know what we can send via airmail now to get you through.
The buns need care of course BUT TOO pellets(good ones and maybe we should do extruded temporarily??-chime in here RO PLEASE)ALSO good quality grass&orchard hays and timothy...
Lymie-do you have a paypal? Do you have a local petstore?
I will call and order all you need and pay for it so it is all ready to pick up by you for the buns...Can you get there?Please let me know-will do that right away!PLZ
Let me kow as I will get on now to order....TOO, do you have vet you trust for buns...PLEASE let me know, please....IF they need ANTI X I can get them right away and send them///do we have -even while I am woried about this too-do we have only the sore hocks and no poopy butt problems or worms or anything??/OK Let me know...I will make a FUN CHRISTMAS order for you to pick up for these bunnies...You may have so much fun we need to find a place to spy and neuter...that you decide the little doodles are something that will change your life darling...
MY FAMILY was also abusers-to me HORRIFCALLY...things unimaginable...I saw the effect of "AN APPLE NEVER FALLS FAR FROM ITS TREE"...Darling if I changed my life...YOU CAN TOO and I will do ANYTHING I can to help you-you have an open door here at CritterCafe Rescue always...Let us at least talkjThere can never be enough healing....

christinelea1 wrote:
AND there are more letters to tell we LOVE YOU FOR BEING A BIG ENOUGH PERSON TO CARE LIKE THIS!!!...I have a place in NORTH CARO.so far BUT am getting some transport ppl now to help...a good thing.
Have to ck on places closer-SAFE PLACES OF course or we can get them here to our Katie whom we love to peices too:) and would do so well with them she is a great gal!)
OK working on a transport BUT need to know what we can send via airmail now to get you through.
The buns need care of course BUT TOO pellets(good ones and maybe we should do extruded temporarily??-chime in here RO PLEASE)ALSO good quality grass&orchard hays and timothy...
Lymie-do you have a paypal? Do you have a local petstore?
I will call and order all you need and pay for it so it is all ready to pick up by you for the buns...Can you get there?Please let me know-will do that right away!PLZ
Let me kow as I will get on now to order....TOO, do you have vet you trust for buns...PLEASE let me know, please....IF they need ANTI X I can get them right away and send them///do we have -even while I am woried about this too-do we have only the sore hocks and no poopy butt problems or worms or anything??/OK Let me know...I will make a FUN CHRISTMAS order for you to pick up for these bunnies...You may have so much fun we need to find a place to spy and neuter...that you decide the little doodles are something that will change your life darling...
MY FAMILY was also abusers-to me HORRIFCALLY...things unimaginable...I saw the effect of "AN APPLE NEVER FALLS FAR FROM ITS TREE"...Darling if I changed my life...YOU CAN TOO and I will do ANYTHING I can to help you-you have an open door here at CritterCafe Rescue always...Let us at least talkjThere can never be enough healing....

kudos

I am in North Carolina, but I could take the buns if some bun friends can pull together and get them to me. I have a mini rex now, he also had a hock problem when I got him.

I'm am very confused now as to what I should do. :/

I don't know. I want to keep them, because I feel bad, but I believe that one of you would provide a better home. And then there is my grandma, who would pressure me into keeping them...

So, so confusing. If I were to give them up I wouldn't be able to tell her until after.

Do whats best for you and the bunnies. Take time and think about it and do whats best. And if youwant to keep them that your choice. :hug:

I can tell you love these bunnies, but are in a financial crisis right now. I would just put some antibiotic ointment on his hocks and keep an eye on him. Give them feed pellets, water, some veggies if you can and some hay at least. Hay isn't that expensive. The last thing you want is them to suffer. I can tell you don't want that.

Latest posts

Back