RESOLVED Iowa - Rescue - Mini Rex with nasty sore hocks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lymie

Reaction score
(His information is located at the bottom if you want to skip all this)

Hello,

I posted this in the infirmary forum, and putting him up for adoption on here was suggested, so I'm going to give it a shot.

A little background. I bought Beazel about five months ago, when I still had a job, from a student who could no longer keep him. After I lost my job and went further into debt, the hay and pellets ran out. His diet is not okay, but I did my best. He is now on pellets, but his urine and poo isn't what it used to be. That's not the point though. After I wasn't able to care for him properly I stopped spending time with him out of guilt, and failed to notice that all four (previously thought it was three) of his feet have sores on them. Some are scabbed, they are red and raw and there is pus. He will need medical attention.

When I picked his cage up to remove the bottom I noticed that it was soggy undernieth. He has a problem with over grown toe nails, which I've clipped down and will continue to do so until the quick recedes. He's lost weight as well. I bandaged his back legs, put anti-biotic ointment on it and he's now resting in an impossibly deep and comfortable cage. I will change his bandages twice a day, along with his bedding.

I feel terrible for neglecting him, and I don't think I'll ever want or have another animal again. I know why this happened, and it's not just because of financial issues. My biological family has a history of animal cruelty and neglect of both animals and people. I'm deeply sorry (and terrified for Beazel) for the pain I've caused him, and want to give him a chance to recover and find a loving home that can provide the proper care he needs.

I cannot take him to any local rescues or the vet, because of no money and I don't think I could bare the looks I'd get. If there is someone who is willing to adopt him, I promise I'll repay the debt or at the very least make future donations to the program here. I don't think this is something I can go through out my life knowing I did with a clear mind, without giving something back. My heart is just crushed right now that I would allow this to happen.

Thank you,

Lymie

Beazel is a spotted Mini Rex. He's about a year and half old, neutered, and very shy. When I was interacting with the rabbits he would only come to me for Cheerios and bananas. He does tolerate being held, and does the bunny flip willingly, though he's not a people bun. I believe he was a 4-h project, and was bought from the fair, and was dropped off at a vets office and the owner refused to pick him up. So he went home with one of their interns, and they couldn't keep him.

He is bonded with another rabbit, but Alfie is being re-homed separately. He's by himself right now, and I don't think he minds. He's very good with cats, and likes to sleep next to them.

If there is any other information you need to know, please PM me.

Where are you located?

I understand. I lost my job and what little I had went to the rabbits and the bills I could pay. I did get some help.

It is best to keep a bonded pair together.

It would help if you would give us city/state for your location!

I'm so sorry about what happened - but - I do understand that things got away from you.

Let's work towards finding this guy a home!

pla725 wrote:
Where are you located?

I understand. I lost my job and what little I had went to the rabbits and the bills I could pay. I did get some help.

It is best to keep a bonded pair together.

I am in Des Moines, Iowa.

I have little money, but I'm not buying things I want as much as it is things I need. Scraping together money for tooth paste or shampoo. For four months I had dread locks to cut down on hair product costs. So It's not like I'm just not taking care of things.

if we could somehow get him to michigan, i could take him in. i know that is a long way, but IF we need to. i would be willing to take him in long enough to get him healthy and rehome him.

lymie, is there any way you have a camera and can send me pics? i am just wanted to see how urgent it is that he gets to a vet, and what kind of condition he is in.

i understand that you most likely don't want to post pics on the forum, if you feel comfortable sending them to my email, and if you can it could help out

[email protected]

I am VERYYYY low on cash at the momment and lost my job on Dec 4th and have to wait for my unemployment interview to see if I qualify...so I know this is a tough time for many of us.

I would be willing to pitchin a few bucks and maybe if we can get a few other members to do so to we can work out some $$$ to get him to you Katt...

Let's find this baby a home and thank you Lymie for admitting your situation and for trying to get your bun in a new home!

XOXO
ETA: I found this online...not sure the cost of it but here ya go: New-Skin has been a great and highly effective treatment for sore hocks. It provides extra cushion to take weight off the hock, and protects the inflamed area, allowing it to heal. Just place some on the affected area and hold your bunny until it dries. Each treatment will last several days

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/sorehocks.shtml

Thank you everybody, for being so kind and helpful!

I just put some newspaper, small boxes, and parrot toys in their cage. And I put Alfie back in with him, much to his surprise. He stopped acting like he was dying and is happily playing.

I will let them out into the room tomorrow morning so they can play.

Is there any assistance through your local salvation army/goodwill?

I wonder if there is a local farmer who would be willing to give you a bale to tide you over. Many farmers are Christians, and helping out is a part of farming ethos.
A bale is worth only about $5.

When I was in need, I asked my local church family for assistance. Try to think of your local community connections.

Perhaps contact your local SPCA or rescue group and explain that you are very low on funds for feed. I know that some rescue groups would rather provide feed assistance if at all possible.

Have you gone round to the local supermarkets and mom and pop operations looking for outer leaves of vegetables?

I would place an ad on your local internet classifieds explaining the feed situation. Someone may see and be inspired.

If needed, I'm sure a bunny railroad can be arranged.

As long as your boys are together, their odds of remaining healthy and happy dramatically increase. They need your love and support, and I think you will be amazed by how much strength you can gain from them. Sit down, spend a bit of time with the boys... bunnies are healing.

I am proud of you for moving forward, reaching out in faith, and working towards healing your baby. :hug:
I am thinking of you and your boys tonight.

Here are some links to pet support in your area:

Animal Lifeline of Iowa (NONPROFIT) Shelter
4521 SE 14th Street
Des Moines, IA 50320

The Pet Pantry
877/570-PETS or emailing [email protected]

Iowa Pet food banks:http://beingstray.com/dogs/iowa-pet-food-banks-pet-food-pantries-pet-care/

For yourself:http://www.agingresources.com/information and assistance/food/food stamp program.pdf

http://www.salvationarmy-desmoines.org/pantries.html

The other thought that I had is that once Beasley is better, someone at a local petting zoo may take your boys if you can find no one else. At least they would be warm and together there in the barn.
Here are some family-oriented farms in your region:http://www.pickyourown.org/IA.htm

UPDATE: I explained what was wrong with Beazel to my grandma when she got home, and tomorrow we'll be going to get the stuff he's going to need for his legs and to the tractor supply Thursday for hay.

She asked me if I wanted to take them to the shelter tomorrow because of his legs, but I told her no, because the shelter here would put him down immediately, no doubt. So they will be staying with us, indefinitely.

I'm moving them into the bird room tomorrow, where they can free roam all the time, in a nice sunny warm room. That will make feeding time easier for me as well. Alfie, probably not so much since he sprays... :/

I have two checks that I have to collect that are around $60. If I can get him anti-biotics with that I will, but I'm not sure if that will be enough. I'm going to contact the grocery stores tomorrow as well and see about collecting the trimmings.

I also expanded their cage, since the bottom was ruined, which I will replace daily with news paper so I don't ruin the hardwood floors. It's now 4ft by 6ft, and I made and collected a bunch of toys for them.

I really hope he pulls through.

NorthernAutumn wrote:
Here are some links to pet support in your area:

The Pet Pantry
877/570-PETS or emailing [email protected]

The other thought that I had is that once Beasley is better, someone at a local petting zoo may take your boys if you can find no one else. At least they would be warm and together there in the barn.
Here are some family-oriented farms in your region:http://www.pickyourown.org/IA.htm
Thank you! I contacted the pet pantry, since they keep basic medicines, about helping me if he needs anti-biotics.

I'd personally rather see everybody pull together to keep the buns together and with Lymie, who obviously loves them and is taking as good care as possible given the situation.

Injectable penicillin is quite inexpensive, if that's what he needs.

I'd still like to see photos of the sore hocks.

sas :hug:

Tomorrow I will charge my old phone or use my grandmas or see if I can't find two lithium batterys some where in the house and take photos of them for you guys.

I moved them into the sun room a half hour ago, and they're quite comfortable. Beazel is up and moving around, curious, playing with his phone book and eating, but he is licking his front paws, which worries me.

I guess... I don't know. If I can clean this problem up myself that would be great, instead of handing them over to some one else and making them go through the trouble. It is my fault.

This is what they sort of look like, only not as big. One has a scab on it, and I noticed on his front paws (His nails have always been over grown, even after clippings) under his toes they're starting to form. But I think we'll get those in time. They're not raw yet.

This is pretty close, though they're not as big. Maybe half that size, and more towards the middle. They aren't as far back as these. Actually, those horrify me a lot more then his do.
gen_sore_hocks_websize.jpg

Don't worry we are here to help!! It isn't "trouble" Hun...we all (including you) want what's best for these Buns of yours :) we will find someone to take good care of them. :) please pm ChristineLea1 she is a doll and she will be able to help you get the buns to a safe forever home I'm sure of it or atleast point us in the right direction :)
xoxo

Latest posts

Back