RESOLVED Chicago Ridge Rabbits Need a Ride - And a Transport Coordinator ASAP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything is sounding great!

Any idea on times for Saturday and who all may be coming here?

Bluefrog: I picked up the carriers that got transported last time. I met Leaf in Union last Friday. The carriers are still in my bug because I do not have any storage area in my home. How many buns do we have? Please send me a pm with your contact information. We need to get the times synchronized. I suppose we need to check with Leaf first to see what times she is available for drop off. I think that Adamjai was open all day for me to transfer buns off to her.

Okay, It looks like both Leaf and Adamjai are open all day Saturday. Hopefully tomorrow I will have a time frame for everyone involved. I think that I have all of the contact numbers that I need too. Talk tomorrow.

Any idea on times yet? Trying to make plans for the weekend...also, are we talking about the same number of carriers as last time?

Adamjai, I can't speak to times yet, but as far as number of carriers, it'll be whatever we can fit in a Bug! So, probably not as many as last time, certainly not more.

downtownbuns, I know this is the craziest of last minute ideas, but...

Apparently there are 16 guinea pigs who need a ride from MO to Catnap. I'm still trying to ascertain where these pigs are located at this exact moment, but if - and I acknowledge it's a big if - I could get them to a convenient place at the right time, would you consider bringing them on your trip northward?

Bluefrog: Hmmm 16 cavvy's, now we do have the carriers from last transport too. I need more detail. Where are the piggies, are they already in carriers? We do have the over carriers in the bug. Can more than one pig go in a bunny carrier? As far as time is concerned, we were planning on leaving St. Louis at 5:00 and meeting you at Catnip at 10:30. If I need to pick the pigs up somewhere in MO, that changes the time a little. Where are they? I am right up the street from the Arch, so I am right in St. Louis near the MO/IL border.

Adamjai: I apologize, I am trying to get you a time. Right now, it looks like it could be around 4:30 to 5:00, but with the piggie situation, that may change.

DH had a question, should we bring hay and veggies like red leaf lettuce and cilantro, for them to eat, and towels or something for the carriers, or will those items be provide.

From experience I know multiple cavies can fit in carriers, IF I can get all the relevant details etc. in time.

How many of the existing carriers fit in your car, set up, at once? That'll help me plan how many rabbits you're getting. I'm borrowing the smallest carriers CR has in storage to maximize the number of rabbits on this transport. They'll be pretty cozy, but safe and going to a good place so I'm sure they won't mind being a little snug.

I'll supply hay and romaine, plus newspaper for the bottoms. Are you bringing the water bottles or just the carriers? I'm going to try like heck to have everything set up and ready just to go straight into your car when you arrive. We'll just keep loading bunnies until nothing more fits, then unload any remaining bunnies to remain at Catnap.

Dh took the bug to work with the carriers in the back, but I think that we have all that went down minus 2. I believe that the water bottles are still attached to them. I believe that 11 went down to Leaf and 9 are coming back. I can check AMTRAK and see if they still have the cheaper ticket and I could ride back on the train if need be, leaving the passanger seat free. Although this late, the cheaper train tickets may be gone.

downtownbuns, you've got 8 of the smaller carriers. How did they fit, 7 on bottom and only one on top? Are you wanting to do a single layer only?

(BlueFrog, the carrier Cass was in is here now, and the other small carrier is coming back Monday, but that should give you some size approximation).

How are the Guinea Pigs being transported, can downtownbuns put them in one of the carriers she has from me in order to get them to you? That may save space...

BlueFrog... I'm going to assume two of the lops can fit in one carrier - am I right? The two bonded need to come here for sanctuary. If they ride together that would be one carrier but tight?

Hang on and I'll be PMing soon.

BlueFrog wrote:
Are you bringing the water bottles or just the carriers? I'm going to try like heck to have everything set up and ready just to go straight into your car when you arrive.

I do think a few carriers have water bottles on them. One carrier has the rest inside..
We'll just keep loading bunnies until nothing more fits, then unload any remaining bunnies to remain at Catnap.
:bunnydance:

Hubby called and found all the water bottlesm, thanks LEAF. Still waiting to hear from the ladies that are suppose to call me regarding the pigs. Hopefully they call soon, so that I can figure out the time situation.

I talked to the guinea pig lady this evening. I can not pick the pigs up until 8:30 am. This would put us in chicago between 1:00 to 2:00. If we do the whole thing tomorrow, we would have to take the buns to Union for drop off. We would be there between 6 to 8 pm give or take. If leaf can not pick up Saturday night, we could drop off Sunday if that works.

downtownbuns, you're an angel for even considering changing your scheduling & transporting those needy pigs. From my standpoint - and I'm wearing my Catnap hat for this comment - do what you're comfortable with. I would love love love to see those pigs make it up north, but if that's going to throw off the bun train or significantly inconvenience you, I will completely understand if you decide to stick to the original plan.

The pigs will be picked up. If we need to house the bunnies at our house until they can be transported to Union, no problem.

Ok, so I have my head in the sand a lot...

It's 4:45am and I've been up for a few hours. I just went to the gas station for some power steering fluid and the attendant there said we're supposed to be hit HARD Saturday and Sunday weather-wise.

MO - http://www.weather.gov/alerts/mo.html

IL- http://www.weather.gov/alerts/il.html

http://www.ksdk.com/- I'm REALLY hoping this doesn't pose a problem. It's not doing anything here now, just muggy and windy but from what I was told it should get bad in a couple hours. But then - who knows.

That is exactly what I was going to post about this morning. It is raining in Wisconsin, and that usually means a band of rain that goes through Illinois. I do hope every one is safe in their travels. Take your time, and if it gets real bad, please pull off of the road, if you are able,for every one's safety.

Sending loads of prayers to every one and every-bun on their travels... :pray:

Please be safe,

myheart

Latest posts

Back