RESOLVED Chicago Ridge Rabbits Need a Ride - And a Transport Coordinator ASAP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueFrog

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I called Chicago Ridge this morning at 7 a.m., contrary to my usual custom. Good thing I did, because there were six rabbits sitting outside the euthanasia room awaiting their 7:15 a.m. execution. Much scrambling to save their lives ensued, and forum member Leaf once again stepped up with an offer to save them. Between her offer and Catnap taking in a bunch of unspeutered rabbits today, ahead of schedule, they're safe... for now. However, they need transport to Leaf's ASAP.

I'm absolutely swamped with health and family issues but I don't want to see these rabbits die when they have somewhere to go, and just need rides and a transport coordinator. We can use the route we used last time, or devise a new one - whatever it takes to get these sweet boys (most of them a mere nine months old!) where they're going. As before, I can get to Chicago Ridge, spring the rabbits, and set them up in carriers, but that's about the extent of the driving I can reliably manage.

Help?

Something told you to call. Good thing you did call and saved six lives with minutes to spare. Can't offer transport help since I'm in NJ. I'm sure others will step up. They did the last time.

Leaf, you're incredible. Nine month old babies, less than a year!! Will watch for pictures and hope for the best car drivers again. The innocent buns have you and BlueFrog to thank as angel care.

LopBrother1_small.jpg

"Won't you pwease give some bunnies down on dere luck a ride? We doan have much monee but we gives gweat kisses. On behalf of myself, my four brudders, and rexy too, fank you for saving us!"

Haley PM'd me and asked if I could help coordinate this transport. This will be my first time doing this, so bear with me. Let me go look up the last route and get it posted and see if we can get this going. Do you want to aim for the weekend after next (9/13 or 9/14)?

Here is the route and times that were used for the last transport:

Chicago Ridge, ILto Union, MO.

10:00 AM to 11:30:
Chicago Ridge, IL to Gilman, IL

11:45 to 1:30:
Gilman, IL to Charleston, IL

1:45 to 3:00:
Charleston, IL to Vandalia, IL

3:15 to 4:30
Vandalia, IL to St. Louis, MO

4:45 to 5:45
St. Louis, MO to Union, MO

Arrive in Union, MO (meeting Leaf)

Let's decide on a date and get rolling.

Leaf you truly are amazing! I'm free almost every weekend, let me know when and I'll find a way to make the St. Louis to Union leg of the trip. Thank goodness you called when you did!

I just finished a Today on RO posting and put this thread in it, hopefully everything can pull through fast! BlueFrog contacted me right away yesterday morning..

I'm open for this wekend. I have to say I cannot do it on the weekend of the 20th as I have paid for prior obligations. With luck they'll be here before then.

Has anyone posted on Bunspace yet? I havent tried (I have been home less than an hour at this point - RO is almost my first pit stop) yet but I've had trouble accessing it the last few times I've tried.

Embarassingly enough this is happening so fast I still have carriers to return from the last transport. I'm halfway tempted to just send$$ but don't know at this point which would be more beneficial.

I am free most weekends as well. I could do the Vandalia to St. Louis leg and maybe more legs if needed. I need to talk to my hubby though, but I think that we can do it. Just let us know when. Even if it were to be this weekend, I believe that would work out as well.

I have to go to Union tomorrow. Maybe I could pick up the carriers, take them to Chicago and pick up the bunnies and take them to St. Louis. Hubby is open to this, I will need to talk to him more tonight about it. Do we know if there will be exactly six bunnies, or could there be more?

I believe BlueFrog is thinking 7-10 bunnies. Hopefully, she will be on line soon and can answer. That would be awesome if you could do that Downtownbuns! Let us know.

I just had a PM from Kpink and she is on board the bunny train if we need her.

downtownbuns wrote:
I have to go to Union tomorrow. Maybe I could pick up the carriers, take them to Chicago and pick up the bunnies and take them to St. Louis. Hubby is open to this, I will need to talk to him more tonight about it. Do we know if there will be exactly six bunnies, or could there be more?

I just went through the carriers to make sure they are clean and the water bottles are accounted for. I have two out that I lent when two buns went to their homes after their spays... so in all I have 8 carriers to go back to CR unless I can get the last two back.

The remaining two will tag along eventually. I was waiting to send them all back once I got all 10 so shipping wouldn't be such a hassle twice but this may be perfect!

I can't do it this weekend, Hubby will be at Drill so I will have no one to watch the kids. Next weekend may be possible for me, nothing is written on the calendar at any rate. :pSaturdays are always best for me, but a Sunday might be workable.

I'm starting to wind down here and will go to bed soon. I'll check in tonite to see whats happening.

downtownbuns, if we can meet in Union just let me know. Perhaps at the gas station by Union's Wal Mart off of Hwy 50? If not, thats no problem either.

Theres a slight possiblitiy I'll check here before I go to bed but most likely it'll be tonite or earlier in the morning before I post again.

Leaf, I sent you a pm with where I will be in Union. Let me know it that place works for you.

We don't have superfluous funds to disburse with our own rescue, yet something sent to the Paypal RO rescue fund will be considered. I'm just thankful a few more got saved via VIP helpers & volunteers -- and RO drivers will need something extra to put in the gas tanks. Every little bit helps !! Everybody pitchin' in' ... ummm, your angel wings are STICKIN' OUT of your shirts.

slavetoabunny, sending support vibes to you as transport coordinator aka Haley's helper.:dude: You'll be super!

Wow, what an overwhelming response! I'm still trying to get both my eyes and my brains open so I can take it all in, as well as resemble a human being when I meet the adopter for the final two lionheadXs from Chicago Ridge this afternoon - I finally placed them woo hoo!

The final number is up to Leaf & transport capacity of course, but yes, I'm all for seven to ten buns on this trip. Leaf, even if Catnap takes some of the lops, OK to add on some other endangered bunnies to the trip in their place? And yes, I will insist Catnap gives up the blind girl!:biggrin2: Should be easy enough to tempt them, since there is a speutered black Angora due to arrive next Wednesday. Just wait until you meet that neat old rex boy. He is special. I can't even explain how, but he is.

Oh, and on the carrier situation - by any chance did you segregate the carrier that Catnap lent us for the trip? Just want to be sure it doesn't get lost in the shuffle (i.e., that I don't forget about it)
I must say, I'm just over the moon about the response & support from RO. :thanks:

Latest posts

Back