RESCUE: WI (Resolved!)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We got a surrender at the shelter a couplemonths ago of a New Zealand White male bunny who had been bought to befed to an 11 foot boa. He was the most frightened rabbit that I haveever seen...the kind that could break their own bones from beingstartled. Anyway we got him neutered and he went to Petco, had a coupleof applications that didn't go through and he seemed to get worse beingat Petco so we brought himback to the shelter. At the shelter most ofthe staff are not into rabbits. Apparently some of them have hadtrouble getting him out of his cage when they clean (they say he growlsand stomps but I have never seen this)...so of course the word is isthat if we can't get him into Dane County humane society (they take ourrabbits when they can) that he most likely will beeuthanized. We have not heard from Dane County yet but,needless to say, I am upset as he doesn't deserve to have a life likethis. This is the kind of rabbit that I would usually adopt but I havemy limit and don't have room for more. You can see him onwww.couleehumane.com. His nameis Abercrombie but I call him Bear. My shelter makes a person jumpthrough hoops to adopt even if the animal may be put down. They checkall veterinary history of present animals and past animals up to thepast 3 yrs. ..all dogs and cats of applicants have to be licensed(according to particular state), be current on distemper and rabies andthe rabbit has to live inside. The shelter is very strict and theapplicant must prove that they have been an excellent owner of theirpets. I am only telling you this because it makes it more difficult tobe interested. This rabbit would do great with anyone on RO because heis a special needs rabbit in terms of his emotional state..just afrightened boy. PM me if you are interested

Thanks Peg for a direct link..he is gorgeous buthe is an unhappy boy. I just looked at the Dane county site and theyare full of rabbits. If they would only say they would eventually takehim I could probably talk Jim into letting me foster him. The problemis if I had to take himback to the shelter I couldn't handle it. Theyhaven't been euthanizing rabbits because of Petco and we had a lot ofsmall ones that got homes faster; I just feel really bad about him ashe has great potential. I saw a spark in him when I had him home afterhis neuter....he needs a lot of room as he is big.:(

He's beautiful! I've said it before and I'll say it again- I wish I had time/space for him!

I suppose the HRS is full. What about Soulmate RabbitRescue? It's a new one in Waukesha. I found itbecause they have buns posted on Petfinder.
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/WI253.html

Or maybe you could get the Milwaukee shelter to take him?It's a still kill shelter but it's supposed to be pretty good.
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/WI43.html

I'd be willing to help transport if needed. Best of luck!

He is a gorgeous rabbit and if I didn't haveTiny and Art would let me - I would consider him.....but I know Artwould shoot me at suggesting we get another rabbit.

But as I've looked at his photos - he's got a certain "something" abouthim - a spark in his eye or something - maybe the way he holds hishead?

All I know is....I want him and I can tell he'd make an excellent heart bunny for someone...

Please keep us updated.

Peg
trying to figure out how she could sneak him in without Tiny and Art pitching a fit! :bunnydance:

Oh man, I think if I was in that area I'd bebegging my parents to let me take him and try to rehabilitate him. Helooks like Spice and from what you said, he had the same issues Spiceused to have. I hate to hear about rabbits being put down for that,some rabbits just need time to grow out of that and to relax. I hopesomeone can take him.

Soulmates Rabbit Rescue already got back tome..they are full but are going to try to get him a foster homealthough it may take time..I called the shelter and to my horror theyhad him on the deathlist for today but have taken him offbecause of this. I just asked Jim if I could foster him until therescue could get him a foster home and Jim is downstairs spazzing outbecause I even asked. There is the possibility that Jim will feelguilty and say yes but right now he is making me feel like there issomething wrong with me for caring so much about these rabbits. Prayfor Abercrombie.

Good work!

Sounds like you may have saved this bunny's life!

Let us know how it goes. Tell Jim you'll sign something saying thebunny will only stay for a few weeks or something. He's probably afraidyou'll fall in love and keep him ;)

Keep us posted! At least you bought him some more time.

I think with all the bunnies I've seen needinghelp, this is the one that I think I could have helped the most, and Iwould not have been able to say no to.

I don't think he can be transported this far, but I sincerely hope arabbit person can at least foster him for long enough for him torealize life can be calm and happy. He should be free-run orat least in a big pen with lots of hidey spots in a room with somebodywho sits at the computer all day and talks to him.

I hope he finds that. Even for awhile. :(

sas

Somebody slap me, cause my hubby won't!

I can foster him!!!

Only for a little while, unless of course Fey and Sprite fall inlove. Preferably through Soulmates, then pass him on to oneof their regular foster parents when they have space.

His living conditions with me will be okay but not my ideal.He'll have to be in the basement in Loki's old dog crate, although I'llprobably be able to attach a pen to that. The cats can't getdown there so there's no worry about them scaring him. Iwon't be able to spend a whole lot of time with him, which is why I'dstill need to pass him on to Soulmates, but I should be able to workwith him a little bit.

Maureen, you have a pm!

I'm SO jealous.....I wanted him so badly. I was hoping to talk Art into letting me take him....

Do take lots and lots of photos of him.....

Peg

naturestee wrote:
I can foster him!!!

Latest posts

Back