R.I.P. 30 UVic Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your comments were about the AR types. I did not agree with her shooting the rabbits and I do not like the fact they were not well contained as per the Ministry of Environment regulations - even though they approved it.
Another fact is the newspaper changed the story at least twice so I would not rely on them as gospel.
Female rabbits burrowing? Yes they do but at this moment I have 3 in a grassy pen where they have been for 2 hours and sorry no holes yet. Never ever found one. Maybe yours are bored.
Anyway you have gone to great lengths to make your point - not to mention time - and I thank you for it. Incidentally if you want more fuel for your fire go to www.islandhorses.com and look for the topic on the Coombs shooting. You will find allies there and also some who disagree.

I would like to remind everyone to please be civil in your comments. We do not allow name-calling, attacks, or a failure to "agree to disagree".

Bill Jesse wrote:
name calling? un-civil? attacks?
very well. adios amigos!

I don't think TH was accusing anyone, especially you, she was just quoting from the rules. I found your responses very thoughtful and civil. (Except for maybe the 'who crapped in your cornflakes' line its response, which I see was edited out).

Unless of course you mean you don't want to participate because you can't call people names, be uncivil and attack. ;) But I don't think so.

sas :coolness:

If they really did say 'give us a few days to retrieve them' I find that incredibly strange...and I am a little bewildered......

You don't want harm to come to your buns yet you will leave them 'free' for days where any wild animal can get them? :S

IF that's true of course. Might not be.

Incidentally I think what she did was disgusting. Foul in every sense.

Jen

I just read the whole thing and I vote that Ladysown is the voice of reason in the thread. Honestly, if I found 30 rabbits in my precious horse pasture I would flip right out. No I wouldn't shoot the rabbits, but I would want to. If they got out once whats to say they were not going to get out time and time again? 30 rabbits could do a LOT of damage and eat a pile of crops. And if they were not captured right away they could turn into 300 pretty quick. 300 is a lot harder to shot than 30.

I am not sure of the facts, but I believe land owner should have given them a chance to remove them ASAP (not sure if that happened...is anyone sure?) then the rescue should have been out there with as many live traps as they could catching them.

But I also wouldn't be keen on a whole bunch of strangers traipsing around MY animals....so I am not really sure what the real answer is. I just know I would be some mad to find thirty of any sort of animal loose on my property.

Just to make myself clear. I personally would NOT shoot any animal of any sort. I don't like the fact that the rabbits go shot and I think its a darn shame, but at the same time I understand why they got shot.

Unfortunately some of the important facts are missing. We don't know for sure how long the rabbits were on the neighbor's property. We don't know if the neighbor gave the rescue notice before shooting the bunnies, and if they did, we don't know how much time they gave the rescue. Unfortunately, these questions will take a long time to answer, and since everybody's arguments seem to hinge on these issues, we can't come to a conclusion at the moment.

I was trying to remind people to be civil and was paraphrasing the forum rules, found here:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11860&forum_id=14

Please remember (quoted from there)
Unacceptable Behavior (Subject to Warnings):

- name calling

- ridiculing of another's opinion

- failure to 'agree to disagree'

- the posting of obviously inflammatory topics (eg: rabbit meat, breeder vs. animal rights attacks)

- overly abrasive or negative posts on any topic

- personal vendettas

That's so true. We don't know the facts. JUst the media's side, facebook groups etc. so we really aren't sure what exactly went on.

I understand if she really really didn't want them on her property and wanted them removed ASAP, but why didn't she (i doubt she did this) call the rescue, and then join them in helping get the rabbits? This way she would be able to supervise etc. and be doing something constructive to help. It doesn't seem like anything was really....tried. I just think killing them should really have been a last resort.

Thing is...these are pet rabbits. They aren't wild animals etc. It's like someone's cat straying on your property and you shooting it because it might pooh in your garden. :( very sad.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion here, though. Some people may own horses and really understand the damage a rabbit can do. I personally don't so I don't know if they do at all, but they could do.

I think there was definately wrong doing on both parts. I'm sure you'd notice 30 rabbits gone from your yard, whether you got a phone call or not...so wouldn't you be out IMMEDIATELY to get them back?

Jen

tonyshuman

- the posting of obviously inflammatory topics (eg: rabbit meat, breeder vs. animal rights attacks)
[/quote]

Rabbit meat is obviously inflammatory??? Maybe I am in the wrong forum.....

canadagirl wrote:
Rabbit meat is obviously inflammatory??? Maybe I am in the wrong forum.....

I'm editing your post.

Yes, you have joined the wrong forum. I suggest maybe Rabbit Talk or the Rabbit Habit (I'm sure you can look them up), but Rabbitsonline.net is not the place for you, sorry.

sas :expressionless

So I am not welcome at all? Gee thanks. Even though I SAID I wasn't going to cause trouble or say the M word. Awesome. I thought I found a goldmine here with the wealth of information but apparently I have to leave. :?

canadagirl wrote:
And if they were not captured right away they could turn into 300 pretty quick. 300 is a lot harder to shot than 30.

These rabbits were rescues, all spayed/neutered.

This topic has run its course. The RB forum is for announcing and paying tribute to lost bunnies, its not for debating the manner of their deaths.

sas

Latest posts

Back